New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitP #28: Come Taste the Rainbow!

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    I am a gamble-y pony °___°
    See, now I'm even more confused. If you're a pony, how were you going to hand draw something for me if I won?
    Um, try this. Might answer that.

Edit: Now I'm awake I realise this counts as a SPOILER. So, SPOILER ALERT. Recent MLP episode.
    Last edited by noparlpf; 2012-11-26 at 10:39 AM.
    Jude P.

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Banned

I really hope I'm not coming off like I'm upset or offended. There's no need to apologize for anything.
    Nah, that was a 'sorry for the misunderstanding', a softer apology. The apologetic 'bless you' without really knowin who sneezed, I suppose.

See, now I'm even more confused. If you're a pony, how were you going to hand draw something for me if I won?
    My immediate response was a joke but I promised someone a lon while back I wouldn't bring stuff like that up in This thread even flippantly.

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Um, try this. Might answer that.
    oh,that's a much better answer!

Yeah, I'd just put my thumb in my mouth and blow until fingers popped out!

... waaaaaaaiiiitaminnit...

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey guys, would it be totally weird of me to take out the son of an ex? I'll probably just do it anyway regardless of the response but I want to get a consensus on this so I know whether or not to grandstand and feel persecuted.

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Colossus in the Playground

Erm...
    What are all the ages involved?

5. - Top - End - #1355

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Erm...
    What are all the ages involved?
    I'm going to be vague to protect the innocent. Me and the son are about the same age (he may be one or two years my junior) and my ex is about twice my age.

6. - Top - End - #1356

Hm. I'd say that makes it far less dodgy than it could be. A lot depends on the specifics of your respective relationships, and I'd say the biggest concern is drama.

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Titan in the Playground

Is it wrong that I first read that as 'taking care of' the son?

Now that my murderous ideas are cleared up, I would say drama is probably the biggest concern.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

8. - Top - End - #1358

Hm. I'd say that makes it far less dodgy than it could be. A lot depends on the specifics of your respective relationships, and I'd say the biggest concern is drama.
    Age is never the issue. I dated a guy twice my age. Age is never the issue with me. The whole "son" bit was what I wanted to emphasize.

9. - Top - End - #1359

If you were 40, your ex was 35, and their son was 18, that would be "totally weird". Age most certainly can be the issue, especially when you're asking for people's opinions on a subjective matter.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2012-11-26 at 04:56 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1360

If you were 40, your ex was 35, and their son was 18, that would be "totally weird". Age most certainly can be the issue, especially when you're asking for people's opinions on a subjective matter.
    That's fair. That's more than fair.

So what's the protocol here? Just stay away from family gatherings or what? I was gonna wing it but I figure I'm this far, a second opinion can't hurt.

11. - Top - End - #1361

Like I said, it depends on a lot of details. For starters, how was and is your relationship with your ex? How and why did it end? Are you on good terms? How long did the relationship last, and how long ago did it end? What sort of relationship does the son have with them? etc etc etc...
    You may like to try the Relationships thread, as well. It needs some exercise anyway.

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Here's a fun philosophical game about lies - do you agree with Aristotle, Kant or Bentham? Three of the really great philosophers, each with his view on lying and when it is justified.
    That was pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    Sorry, hon. Should have guessed you'd have linked it, you've usually got all the best links.
    Aw, thank you. I try.

-----

So, a bit of odd news. Apparently student societies in Brussels aren't allowed to have crossdressing at baptisms anymore for an indeterminate period of time because a crossdressing male student got (sexually) assaulted. (the article is a bit unclear about that.) The motivation is apparently that crossdressing is 'provocative' to certain groups, which just sounds really victim blamey.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1363

I heard recently about an ad campaign comparing homosexuality with left-handedness. I saw it on a couple of times tonight, and I think it's pretty good. It's not just homosexuality, either: it's gay, bi (iirc), trans and intersexed.

...a few mixed feelings as a sinister person, though
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2012-11-26 at 07:41 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry for the second unexpected absence, stuff broke do-
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    So, a bit of odd news. Apparently student societies in Brussels aren't allowed to have crossdressing at baptisms anymore for an indeterminate period of time because a crossdressing male student got (sexually) assaulted. (the article is a bit unclear about that.) The motivation is apparently that crossdressing is 'provocative' to certain groups, which just sounds really victim blamey.

That makes no [REDACTED] sense.
    I think I'll go back to watching pictures of cute animals instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Ogre in the Playground

Aw, thank you. I try.

-----

Welcome!

-----

... Okay, I am appalled, but first, I have several follow-up questions.
    - When you say "baptism", do you mean the Catholic sacrament? Or something else?
    - In either case, do student societies frequently attend baptisms? Who's getting baptised? Babies?
    - Is is usual for adults to cross-dress at baptisms? Or usual for student societies to cross dress? Or what?
    - Why?

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Ogre in the Playground

I heard recently about an ad campaign comparing homosexuality with left-handedness. I saw it on a couple of times tonight, and I think it's pretty good. It's not just homosexuality, either: it's gay, bi (iirc), trans and intersexed.

It's funny seeing Movember is linked to that campaign; they did a much less serious version of the same idea a little while ago.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Ettin in the Playground

Is this in addition to being lefthanded?

I'd have thought bisexual folks would be ambidextrous with this logic. Not sure how it would work with transitioning folks though.

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    Welcome!

-----

... Okay, I am appalled, but first, I have several follow-up questions.
    - When you say "baptism", do you mean the Catholic sacrament? Or something else?
    - In either case, do student societies frequently attend baptisms? Who's getting baptised? Babies?
    - Is is usual for adults to cross-dress at baptisms? Or usual for student societies to cross dress? Or what?
    - Why?
    Oh, I guess it's not really a universal thing. It's basically an entry ritual into a student society; it's not mandatory but very popular. Usually consists of humiliating the new entrants in various ways.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1369

Like hazing of whatever it is?

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Troll in the Playground

Like hazing of whatever it is?
    I think so, yes.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Titan in the Playground

I think so, yes.
    Ahh, the initiation ritual. Time honored traditions of humiliation pain and suffering.

Of varying degrees depending on the organization.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

22. - Top - End - #1372

So to get this straight first: "baptism" as in "student society initiation", not as in "some-kinds-of-Christian dip-baby-in-water-ceremony"? I don't think I've ever heard that called that before.
    Also that's really backwards. Victim blaming for sure. Basically like saying, "People with faces no longer allowed on campus because somebody got punched in the face."
    Jude P.

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Ettin in the Playground

It's derived from "baptism of fire" I suspect or possibly the other way around. A rather pointless ceremony for people that get a kick out of humiliating others. I recall an incident from my past involving a santa outfit and.....no, that's not a story I plan to share.

I much prefer our own hazing/baptism ceremony with hot drinks, biscuits and vary levels of physical embraces according to taste. It creates a much more positive atmosphere.

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, feeling better after a bunch of kittens and duckies. I can now be coherent again.
    With that decision, we're stranding dangerously close to the classic "she shouldn't have dressed up as a prostitute".
    Heck, for all we know, the guy was wearing conservative feminine clothes, too! In that case, just wearing females clothes is provocative.
    Well, whoa. I hope the cut of my clothes isn't enough for them to be classified as feminine, as they otherwise sure aren't. Perhaps I'll have to steal my BF's wardrobe, just in case.

Geez, that's the second time in two days I hear about crap from Brussels. Saturday, I learnt the leader of one of the big extremist anti-gay marriage group over here in France was from there. His other affiliations lead me to think he's massively out of touch with reality, but he's too charismatic to be harmless.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Titan in the Playground

I have to go with the old standby: It's the would be attacker's responsibility not to assault people. Also, if you say "The victim was doing x, so x is banned," in a circumstance like this arguably their attacker won. Aaagh, why do people have to be so bad/stupid/evil so much of the time.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

26. - Top - End - #1376

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    It's derived from "baptism of fire" I suspect or possibly the other way around. A rather pointless ceremony for people that get a kick out of humiliating others. I recall an incident from my past involving a santa outfit and.....no, that's not a story I plan to share.

I much prefer our own hazing/baptism ceremony with hot drinks, biscuits and vary levels of physical embraces according to taste. It creates a much more positive atmosphere.
    Apparently there's a form of hazing involving walking the newbies up to a roof/balcony, measuring out a rope to show it's a couple inches too short to reach the ground, tying a cinderblock to the other end, blindfolding the newbies, and then pretending to tie the rope to their penises ("hope it's long enough lol") and push the cinderblocks off.

I'd rather initiate newbies by having them put their names and addresses on an email list and giving them cookies. Seems much more friendly.
    Jude P.

27. - Top - End - #1377

Well, I was going to reply to a bunch of stuff, but then three pages popped up overnight, and so now I won't .

I've been feeling very bipolar recently (I'm not actually bipolar, but...you'll see what I mean). It seems like every time I do something that actually makes me feel good, I feel great while I'm doing it, but then the next couple days are spent almost-crying about how unfair it is that something that simple has to be so hard.

As an example: On Friday night, I went to my friends' game night wearing my new skinny jeans, and after we had broken up for the night, I did some limited modeling with some of my other new purchases for one of my girl friends. It was a lot of fun, and I've rarely been that happy about being me.

However, once we had said our good nights and I was back in my car ready to drive home...well, I'm sure you get the idea. I just started coming out of that haze this morning on my way to work . Having every couple hours of happiness followed by days of melancholy is no fun at all.

Also, as an aside, I hate my stupid broad shoulders. They're stupidly broad.

...Hmm...Well, on the brighter side, I talked to my sister on Saturday night, and (as predicted), she was perfectly fine . So there's that!

~Phoenix~
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AllIHaveIsCrunk View Post
    Hey guys, would it be totally weird of me to take out the son of an ex? I'll probably just do it anyway regardless of the response but I want to get a consensus on this so I know whether or not to grandstand and feel persecuted.
    Personally, I think it's weird only in that hopping from family member to family member is weird. But, hay, the heart wants what the heart wants. So be aware it's going to look bad to outsiders (and or be an interesting story a couple years down the road) but otherwise, go for it.

Lots of comments initially, none safe for forum.

Hmm. Could you find a key word or two? I dot really watch TV but I'd like to see it.

Also, Serpentine is a warlock!

Is this in addition to being lefthanded?
    Nuts! That's much better than mine. I suppose I should stop editing in Aldrich blasts to all her avatars?

I'd have thought bisexual folks would be ambidextrous with this logic. Not sure how it would work with transitioning folks though.
    There are like, three jokes about cross-dominance I could make here but I can't decide which one to use

Wait, your baptism of fire didn't involve actual fire? And no pick-up truck chase either, I bet, huh?

Baptism of fire is for awesome stuff, not wankery. Your book club is surprised by a local author, and you set up dinner and give a speech about their book while being leered at by critics? That's a baptism of fire. That or like, being a rookie cop and having to storm an apartment complex taken over by a drug cartel.

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I have to go with the old standby: It's the would be attacker's responsibility not to assault people. Also, if you say "The victim was doing x, so x is banned," in a circumstance like this arguably their attacker won. Aaagh, why do people have to be so bad/stupid/evil so much of the time.
    actually, it makes some sense. Think about it.

A bunch of guys get together and form a club.
    They decide to haze new members.
    They dress new members up (doesn't matter what as), and then molest them.

These guys didn't have a spur of the moment 'wow this dude is hot in a dress' thing, it was a some level implied as part of the hazing process. The dressing up was probably just so they would feel justified first. The report sounds victim blame-y, but it could just as easily be a poorly worded "if you don't want a club to sexually assault you, don't join that club and allow them to put you in the "sexually assault me please" costume they have. On fact, it's now forbidden". If the point of making new members cross dress is hazing, then it sands to reason ye sexual assault was also hazing. And that as far as initiation goes, the dressing up and the assault are part of the same act. Prohibiting the donning of the sign removes any thin film of "they knew what they were getting into", and is (probably) not a critique of cross-dressing itself whatsoever.

I mean, it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but it's not quite the same y'know? Though I prefer the more common (or so I'm told) blanket ban on hazing as a concept.

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I mean, it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but it's not quite the same y'know? Though I prefer the more common (or so I'm told) blanket ban on hazing as a concept.
    So... no tieing you sown to force feed you cookies and get smothered with hugs when you get into the club?

*Mutters incoherent curses while scraping cookies off a plate*
    Just kidding. You can still have some cookies, though they aren't as good as they could be if you were tied down.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    It's more common, yes, but it hardly stops the problem. It might get rid of superficial hazings and such, but hard core hazing that is ingrained in the mantra of a club like that seemed to be? You don't get rid of that without disassembling the club, looking through it's members, and reinstating people in positions of power who are either outside the club or are known to not be hazing. And even then the second half is iffy.

It's funny seeing Movember is linked to that campaign; they did a much less serious version of the same idea a little while ago.
    I thought we were not supposed to talk about the economy and such on the forums Anyway, that was surprisingly motivational.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░