New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Light, Shadow, and Legend: A Pokemon Ruby Nuzlocke

Not sure what your plans are for mr. Spore, but do keep in mind his personality works much better for a Breloom than it does for a shroomish.

On that note, I'm a little confused. Shroomish are spores. So he's a spore infested with other spores?
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Obviously, Jane Locke died to make a spot for Blackstar.

...My first Nuzlocke death was a Bellsprout that was a level away from Weepinbell.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Xon: Shroomish is a mushroom, and Mr. Spore's name is thus rather unusual for one. The really odd part, however, is that he has contracted a disease previously believed to have been exclusive to Paras.

Peng: Not by a long shot. Words cannot describe the agony I felt as that HP bar dropped to 0.
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

TONIGHT, ON LIGHT, SHADOW, AND LEGEND:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rustboro Gym, where the real journey starts.

I’m Michael of Jubilife, here for your badge.

Aaaahhhh!

O frik, Petey!

All that and more sometime past ten on "Light, Shadow, and Legend!"

Note: All times given are Pacific Standard, so sometime past 1 for you poor loosers.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

It's still technically past 10!

Chaper 5's references:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Original Nuzlocke: The seedot/Nuzleaf says "Everything happens for a reason" or a variant thereof many times.
    Video Games: Fatality (WARNING: not for little eyes)

References:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Video Games: 2

Chapter 6: Genius of Stone: Roxanne
    Spoiler
    Show

As much as I hated to do it, I needed to fill the spot in my party left by Jane Locke. Blackstar, you’re on the main team now.

It will be my honor to slay your foes.

Okay, Petey, that should do it for now.

Aright, Chief!

Alright, good work, Lidda. Take a break.

And find things!

*sigh*

Man, I wish I knew psychic moves so I didn’t have to move to fight.

Okay, William, we’re done with you for today.

About time, man. My wings are aachin over here.

Okay, I think we’re done!

Okay, guys, the league rules state that I can only take two of you against Roxanne.

Azgard, Petey, you’re up!

Let’s get this over with.

Let’s go, Chief!

Rustboro Gym, where the journey really starts.

I’m good.

Hell, yes!

Whada ya got?

Uh, yeah?

That goes without saying.

Then give it, man!

Yeah, that’s why I’ve got water and grass types on me.

If?

Better than what?

Not better than me.

I hope not, I need a challenge!

Good thing I’m going to beat you, then.

You ready, guys?

Let’s do this!

Triangel attack!

I rotated my neck each way, getting a nice crack for the effort, and stepped up to the woman on the top of the stiars.

I’m Michael of Jubilife, here for your badge.

Hmm… There is something… different about you, Michael

What do you mean?

You have a touch of… destiny about you. But first, let us see to why you are here.

Gladly.

Two-on-two?

Agreed.

Boulder, go!

Azgard, take it down! Absorb!

Azgard’s blow drained all the Geodude’s energy, and it collapsed, unconscious.

Don’t muck with Azgard!

I kill ‘em all before they can run!

Alright, Petey, your turn!

You can do this, Tiki!

Petey, Water Gun!

Tiki, Harden!

Water Gun again!

Rock Throw!

Aaahh!

O frik, Petey! One more hit!

Tiki, here’s a poition!

Dammit! Petey, pull out! Azgard, go!

Here’s another potion!

Absorb!

Rock Tomb!

Ha! Missed me!

Keep spamming Absorb!

Rock Tomb again!

C’mon, Azgard, you can do this!

One last Absorb!

Yeaaaahhh!

Eat that, punk!

We did it!

That was great!

Don’t we all?

Hey, Michael.

Huh?

After seeing that… maybe I was wrong about you. Maybe you do have a chance…

Azgard?

Yeah, you’ve got a shot at this.

Even if it’s a long one.

Arceus dammit.

One down, seven to go. You were saying something about destiny.

Yes. We gym leaders have the ability to sense the auras of others.

Auras?

Yes, sounds horribly cheesy doesn’t it? What I mean is that we can glimpse into a person’s soul. Glean hints of their past… and their future. And you have something unique in your aura.

What?

I cannot tell exactly, but I can tell that you are to be a player in a great event. You will do something that will shape the world of tomorrow.

For better or for worse?

I cannot say. All I know is that your name will be remembered. However, the powers that be do not give this appointment lightly.

How so?

The world is naturally hostile to those with a calling such as this. You may notice that Pokemon tend to faint when defeated. If one of yours falls, it will die.

My mind rushed back to Jane Locke. There was no way that hit should have been able to kill her. How do I know you're not making this up?

All you can judge by is your own experience. If you do not believe me now, you will soon.
    Last edited by RagingKrikkit; 2012-04-21 at 05:02 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Triangle attack!

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Now playing. Please forgive me if this story starts turning into a creepypasta. I've recently started reading them, and they get into my head.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

So after a busy week and lots of procrastination, I will be moving this tonight. In the meantime, I leave you with one of my favorite Pokemon stories.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm what you could call a collector of bootleg Pokemon games. Pokemon Diamond & Jade, Chaos Black, etc. It's amazing the frequency with which you can find them at pawnshops, Goodwill, flea markets and such.

They're generally fun; even if they are unplayable (which they often are) the mistranslations and poor quality make them unintentionally humorous.

I’ve been able to find most of the ones that I’ve played online, but there’s one that I haven’t seen any mention of. I bought it at a flea market about five years ago. Here’s a picture of the cartridge, in case anyone recognizes it. Unfortunately, when I moved two years ago, I lost the game, so I can’t provide you with screencaps. Sorry.

The game started with the familiar Nidorino and Gengar intro of Red and Blue version. However, the “press start” screen had been altered. Red was there, but the Pokémon did not cycle through. It also said “Black Version” under the Pokémon logo.

Upon selecting “New Game”, the game started the Professor Oak speech, and it quickly became evident that the game was essentially Pokémon Red Version.

After selecting your starter, if you looked at your Pokémon, you had in addition to Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle another Pokémon -- “GHOST”.

The Pokémon was level 1. It had the sprite of the Ghosts that are encountered in Lavender Tower before obtaining the Sliph Scope. It had one attack -- “Curse”. I know that there is a real move named Curse, but the attack did not exist in Generation 1, so it appears it was hacked in.

Defending Pokémon were unable to attack Ghost -- it would only say they were too scared to move. When the move “Curse” was used in battle, the screen would cut to black. The cry of the defending Pokémon would be heard, but it was distorted, played at a much lower pitch than normal. The battle screen would then reappear, and the defending Pokémon would be gone. If used in a battle against a trainer, when the Pokéballs representing their Pokemon would appear in the corner, they would have one fewer Pokéball.

The implication was that the Pokémon died.

What’s even stranger is that after defeating a trainer and seeing “Red received $200 for winning!”, the battle commands would appear again. If you selected “Run”, the battle would end as it normally does. You could also select Curse. If you did, upon returning to the overworld, the trainer’s sprite would be gone. After leaving and reentering the area, the spot [where] the trainer had been would be replaced with a tombstone like the ones at Lavender Tower.

The move “Curse” was not usable in all instances. It would fail against Ghost Pokémon. It would also fail if it was used against trainers that you would have to face again, such as your Rival or Giovanni. It was usable in your final battle against them, however.

I figured this was the gimmick of the game, allowing you to use the previously uncapturable Ghosts. And because Curse made the game so easy, I essentially used it throughout the whole adventure.

The game changed quite a bit after defeating the Elite Four. After viewing the Hall of Fame, which consisted of Ghost and a couple of Pokemon I used for HM`s, the screen cut to black. A box appeared with the words “Many years later…” It then cut to Lavender Tower. An old man was standing, looking at tombstones. You then realized this man was your character.

The man moved at only half of your normal walking speed. You no longer had any Pokémon with you, not even Ghost, who up to this point had been impossible to remove from your party through depositing in the PC. The overworld was entirely empty -- there were no people at all. There were still the tombstones of the trainers that you used Curse on, however. You could go pretty much anywhere in the overworld at this point, though your movement was limited by the fact that you had no Pokémon to use HMs. And regardless of where you went, the music of Lavender Town continued on an infinite loop. After wandering for a while, I found that if you go through Diglett’s Cave, one of the cuttable bushes that normally blocks the path on the other side is no longer there, allowing you to advance and return to Pallet Town.

Upon entering your house and going to the exact tile where you start the game, the screen would cut to black.

Then a sprite of a Caterpie appeared. It was the replaced by a Weedle, and then a Pidgey. I soon realized, as the Pokémon progressed from Rattata to Blastoise, that these were all of the Pokémon that I had used Curse on.

After the end of my Rival’s team, a Youngster appeared, and then a Bug Catcher. These were the trainers I had Cursed.

Throughout the sequence, the Lavender Town music was playing, but it was slowly decreasing in pitch. By the time your Rival appeared on screen, it was little more than a demonic rumble.

Another cut to black. A few moments later, the battle screen suddenly appeared -- your trainer sprite was now that of an old man, the same one as the one who teaches you how to catch Pokémon in Viridian City.

Ghost appeared on the other side, along with the words “GHOST wants to fight!”.

You couldn’t use items, and you had no Pokémon. If you tried to run, you couldn’t escape. The only option was “FIGHT”.

Using fight would immediately cause you to use Struggle, which didn’t affect Ghost but did chip off a bit of your own HP. When it was Ghost’s turn to attack, it would simply say “…” Eventually, when your HP reached a critical point, Ghost would finally use Curse.

The screen cut to black a final time.

Regardless of the buttons you pressed, you were permanently stuck in this black screen. At this point, the only thing you could do was turn the Game Boy off. When you played again, “NEW GAME” was the only option -- the game had erased the file.

I played through this hacked game many, many times, and every time the game ended with this sequence. Several times I didn’t use Ghost at all, though he was impossible to remove from the party. In these cases, it did not show any Pokémon or trainers and simply cut to the climactic battle with Ghost.

I’m not sure what the motives were behind the creator of this hack. It wasn’t widely distributed, so it was presumably not for monetary gain. It was very well done for a bootleg.

It seems he was trying to convey a message; though it seems I am the sole receiver of this message. I’m not entirely sure what it was -- the inevitability of death? The pointlessness of it? Perhaps he was simply trying to morbidly inject death and darkness into a children’s game. Regardless, this children’s game has made me think, and it has made me cry.
    Last edited by RagingKrikkit; 2012-05-05 at 06:33 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Yay! I got it on time for once!

Chapter 6's References:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Video Games: Title is done in the style of Zelda bosses. All gym chapters will now be done in this style, and it will not be included in the references tag.

Also: Triangle attack!

References:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Movies: 1

Chapter 7: Michael's First Job
    Spoiler
    Show

Nice work, guys! Now, let’s see, where’s the next town with a gym?

I saw that same Magma creep I'd crushed back in the woods rush out of the Devon building and bolt north.

And who was in not-quite-hot pursuit but the same Devon researcher from the woods.

I followed them out to the north end of town

So, I’m helping you keep you job after you get your stuff stolen…

Hey, have you seen a dude in all red running past here?

Ookkayyy, moving along now.

Give it up, you’re cornered!

Fine, we’ll do this your way.

Last chance.

Help me!

I thought that was a sailor phrase?

Well, the whole point of a hostage is that you’re supposed to threaten to kill it if somebody comes after you.

So you can see that surrender is the best option.

So that’s the way it is, then.

You won’t beat me so easy this time!

I highly doubt that.

William, Gust.

Sand attack!

Gust again.

I warned you.

He threw the package at me and sprinted for the exit.

Eh, he didn’t have the balls to kill it.

Michael.

You’re welcome.

Alright…

Alright, Master!

Don’t worry, your job is safe.

He’s a bro, man. ‘Cept he don’t got any shrooms, but he’s a bro…

Because there’s absolutely no way that Lidda has been filching Ultra Balls all day long.

Finding!

What now?

Yeah?

What am I? You damn mailman? I had no compunction to help you in the first place!

*sigh* Fine.

And one more thing.

What is it?

Oh.

I’m Michael.

Shouldn’t I get to ask favors of you?

I guess I am.

What for?

Yay, more mailman work.

Not to toot your own horn, of course.

The map displays your position via GPS. It also comes with a built-in flashlight, two-way radio, pocket knife, mp3 player, 3G internet, FacePlace compatibility, that baby will do anything, except tell you what time it is.

It doesn’t tell time?

No. There was so much stuffed into it, there was no more room left for the clock.

You know, there's this big glowing thing called the "Sun", and if you look at it, it can tell you about what time it is.

That's what we figured. Any trainer out in the field should be able to tell what time it is from the Sun.

Yeah, well, this kid has absolutely no place out in the field whatsoever.

SWEET ARCEUS, WHY MUST I GO THOUGH THIS PAIN?

Characters that speak in this chapter:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Michael
    Azgard
    Lidda
    William

In Granite Cave, I can catch:

Makuhita
    Zubat
    Abra
    Geodude
    Aron
    Mawile
    Nosepass

Name and personality suggestions welcome. Also, should I grab a Magickarp in Derfwood, or wait until I have a better rod?
    Last edited by RagingKrikkit; 2012-05-06 at 02:32 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Colossus in the Playground

Look at the bright side Michael. You'll see May again shortly.

As for new pokemon.

Zubat. A troll never stops taunting everyone. Name up to you.

Abra. Constantly stoned out of its mind. Will kill for more drugs.

Geodude. Terra. It's previous trainer was a miner that made it use Selfdestruct over and over. When it complained it was viscously beaten within a inch of it's life. Abandoned when the miner found a shiny geodude. It's skills have dulled. It is desperate for affection. If it kills any wild catches. Have it be convinced that Michael preferred that other pokemon

Aron Littlefoot A bloodthristy steel platted dinosaur. When it evolves and gains spikes/rides likes to place still living pokemon on them and listen to them scream.

Mawile A sweet innocent boy/girl with a problem it can't control it's giant jaw. But it can totally learn with time. That last pokemon that was eaten alive was the last one, right...
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Unfortunately, Ruby doesn't have another May battle until after Slateport, unlike Emerald.

EDIT: Ran the rom for a second, and oh, she is there, she's jsut not fightable. Now, what do I do for that conversation?
    Last edited by RagingKrikkit; 2012-05-06 at 09:46 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    Unfortunately, Ruby doesn't have another May battle until after Slateport, unlike Emerald.

EDIT: Ran the rom for a second, and oh, she is there, she's jsut not fightable. Now, what do I do for that conversation?
    If only you had a Ralts.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Aron: Marvin/Glados. Very depressed/Psychopath who considers everyone test subjects.
    Geodude: Bolin/Lin. A lovable prankster/stiff law enforcer.
    Zubat: The Count/Countess. Caught with 1, 1 pokeball! Ah Ah ah.
    Abra: Sherlock/Morrigan. A super genius consultant detective/a manipulative sorceress.
    Mawhile: Ackbar. It's a trap!
    Last edited by Xondoure; 2012-05-06 at 11:07 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Mawhile: Ackbar. It's a trap!
    But how could I steal the name of Melinda's Lapras?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

But how could I steal the name of Melinda's Lapras?
    Ackbar is like the john of fictional names, especially in let's plays (I actually know of quite a few.)
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Really? I never knew that...

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Really? I never knew that...
    Well I suppose not literally, the point being it's quite a memetic reference.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, moving along!

Chapter 7's Reference:

References:
    Spoiler
    Show
    OotS: 1

Chapter 8: Beaches of Dewford
    Spoiler
    Show

Off to Dewford it is, then.

For crying out loud, Lidda!

Why do you hate my finding?!

It was May again. By now, I wanted to tear out my adrenal gland to get that rush to stop. Hi, May.

Not too shabby, I’ve got eleven.

Isn’t that poaching? I thought you could only catch one per area?

Uh, he was a tough one, wouldn’t stay in the ball.

Sure.

Honest!

Yeah, right.

Okay, okay, you're right! Please don’ tell anybody!

Ooh, I’ve got leverage on you…

Please don’t She was turning pale, and I figured I should stop teasing her.

*chuckle* Okay, okay, don’t worry. I won’t tell anybody.

*phew* Thank you so much, Michael.

You said you wanted to be friends with me. That’s a bit hard to pull off when you’re rotting in federal prison.

Heh, I guess so. She blushed a little.

So where are you headed next?

Oh, I’m going to get a few more catches in this area, then probably hitch a ferry for Slateport.

Staying within the bounds of legality this time, I hope.

Yes, Dad. It’s just so hard to not catch more than one. I love Pokemon, and I want to catch tons of them, but this stupid law won’t let me!

Well, write your congressman, I guess.

*chuckle* Yeah, I’ll have to do that.

Yeah, I met him.

He said he was heading for Slateport soon, and he’s willing to take passengers.

You know, I’m actually headed out that way. I should probably give him a visit.

Okay, I’ll see around then, Michael.

See ya, May.

So, your prospective girlfriend is a criminal.

Shut up.

If I turn her in, can I also nail you on obstruction of justice?

Azgard, do you want me to hit you?

I checked my reflection in the water again. The eagerness was still there, but it was tempered by the hardness of loss and the confidence of victory. There was also what looked almost like a haunted air in my eyes, the wondering if what Roxanne had said was true, if I really was destined to play some great role in the world.

Here we are…

Hey, Mr. Briney!

Good so see you again.

Well, while we’re on the subject, I need a ride.

Yeah. Mr. Devon seems to think I’m his personal mailman, and he wants me to give this letter so somebody called Steven in Dewford, and this package to a captain Stern in Slateport.

That’s what I said.

Neither rain nor sleet nor dark of night…

Thank you.

Please!

Nice boat.

I do say that it reminds me of a junk.

He’s got some dang big junk, then.

I wonder if I can find anything in his junk.

I like junk, man. Junk is the best food to eat.

Where I come from, every man worth his name has a big junk.

Ah always liked junks. Thar so cumfterbel.

*Groan* Shut the hell up, guys.

My mind now utterly destroyed, we set off across the sea.

I’m gunna be sick, man.

Over the side, William. I’m not cleaning up after you.

Lahnd ho!

Aw, I haven’t found anything yet!

Good.

Yep.

If it means I can get more Pokemon,

Thanks.

What the hell is this piece of crap?

Uhhh… they go?

Then take the rod out of the water?

Why the hell do you want to fight? I thought you needed to go?!

THEN FREAKING GO!

Haven’t tried either yet.

Oh, yeah, fight me because I haven’t fished. That makes perfect sense.

You, sir, are an idiot.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Does attacking without provocation count as helping?

Oh, thanks!

Arceus dammit.

Characters that speak in this chapter:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Michael
    Azgard
    William
    Lidda
    Petey
    Mr. Spore
    Blackstar
    Last edited by RagingKrikkit; 2012-09-01 at 01:20 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49

References
    Spoiler
    Show

Junk as a reference to Hinjo's ship.

Will Michael break the law if you find a shiny?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

That popped into my mind as I was writing the conversation, and given that he's chaotic good, I'm thinking he probably will if he comes across one.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

So I'm thinking that I'm starting to overuse Lidda's "finding". Should I stop playing this up (at least for a while)?

22. - Top - End - #52

So I'm thinking that I'm starting to overuse Lidda's "finding". Should I stop playing this up (at least for a while)?
    It's up to you. If you want to change it up though, you could have her honestly find something and spend her time trying to convince the others she did. Or have her get into minor trouble with someone.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

I think it's funny...

I would, however, like to hear more from Blackstar. I mean, he's only gotten one line since he became a member of the main team... He didn't even have some sort of, "I won't fail you now that I'm on the main team" statement.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't worry, Blackstar has dialouge on the way.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Good news: the character list has at last been updated! See the first post for details!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

And for my third post in a row: Can everybody read Petey's dialouge alright, or should I add translations like Illven does for Jack?

27. - Top - End - #57

And for my third post in a row: Can everybody read Petey's dialouge alright, or should I add translations like Illven does for Jack?
    I can understand him.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

He's fine. He's just speaking phonetically.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Her, guys. Don't worry, that will be adressed in Chapter 9.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, guys, confession time. It has now been one week since I lost the flash drive that was carrying--among other things--my save file. Let me put it this way...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Anyway, there are two things I can do.

1: Abandon the nuzlocke

2: Perform actions of dubious legality (I have a hard copy of Ruby around here somewhere) and recreate the nuzlocke. This means suspending "nuzlocke mode" and catching the same Pokemon and such until I get to the point I was at before. Thus, the Pokemon and their names will remain the same, but stats and natures will change (not that it really matters). Items will probably change, but who cares about that kind of micromanaging?