New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default decrypting dislike

For all those that hated Ansom, now that Ansom is decrypted, has switched radishes for skulls, has left behind the notion that nobility is superior, has converted to Stanley's righteous Titan-hijad, is willing to be Parson's new best friend and level 10 warlord, do you like him any better?

And for all those that liked Wanda, now that Wanda has admitted to betraying FAQ for Fate, do you like her any less?

Or if you were a staunch Stanley defender, do you have like him any less now that you know Stanley sacked FAQ?
    Spoiler
    Show
    OotS Fan-fiction (An alternate OotS-verse starting after page 603. If you want to read it go here)

bad Erf-poetry

and other sillyness.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: decrypting dislike

I like them just the same.

Well, maybe I like Stanley and Wanda a little bit more than before. Stanley because, umm... Stop! Hammer Time! Wanda because, in her ambition and ruthlessness, she is every single character of mine except for that saint one.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HamsterOfTheGod View Post
    And for all those that liked Wanda, now that Wanda has admitted to betraying FAQ for Fate, do you like her any less?

Or if you were a staunch Stanley defender, do you have like him any less now that you know Stanley sacked FAQ?
    I already thought that Stanley sacked FAQ (I always thought that any theories otherwise were really getting into epileptic trees territory), and I always sort of suspected that Wanda betrayed them, since it seemed in-character for her.

Ansom is basically the same as he always was. He just switched one stick up his ass for another; now he thinks that arkentools give people the right to rule others, rather than noble bloodlines. He might be more amusing this way, though; I do find his about-face to be slightly amusing overall, even if it's magically-induced. It somehow seems to fit with his character.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2009-05-16 at 08:55 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Weirdly, I like everyone the same. Wanda has always been so-so with me, Ansom I liked and still do. Maybe, just maybe, I like Stanley a bit less.

The Stanley didn't sack Faq theories did not seem epileptic trees to me, even though the biggest contender (Jetstone) didn't hold much appeal. Nonetheless, it seemed possible that something different happened there and Stanley was being blamed unfairly.

Turns out, Faq's fall was his doing, which makes him slightly less likeable (he loses the unfairly wnated man status). But only slightly- Erfworld is in a state of war all the time after all.
    The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Ansom is basically the same as he always was. He just switched one stick up his ass for another; now he thinks that arkentools give people the right to rule others, rather than noble bloodlines. He might be more amusing this way, though; I do find his about-face to be slightly amusing overall, even if it's magically-induced. It somehow seems to fit with his character.
    As I noted earlier, that's a common phenomenon in the real world -- a fanatic who loses his faith is likely to simply find something else to be fanatical about.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

For me, Stanley still has his unfairly blamed for Faq status, because Jillian thinks he's really responsible for her home's destruction. Incidentally, that really falls to Wanda. After all, Stanley would've never known about Faq had Wanda not brought it to his attention. So she hates Stanley while having a tryst with the person she's actually after.

All in all, I think the revelation just makes everyone involved a bit more interesting.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Wanda seems more flat now. That bit at the end about Fate Magic forcing her to is just a cover-up for her stereotypical will for power.

Ansom is interesting. I expect his rationality to return when he has to interact with people again. Then hilarity will ensue.

Stanley is marginally improved.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    Wanda seems more flat now. That bit at the end about Fate Magic forcing her to is just a cover-up for her stereotypical will for power.
    She didn't say anything about fate forcing her. She said she is loyal to fate magic. Very different.

It is the difference between Oedipus doing everything he can to avoid killing his father and marrying his mother, and doing it anyway because it is fated. Or Oedipus turning on his father when he hears he is going to kill him anyway sometime in the future. In the first case Oedipus was forced, but in the second he is not.

In other words. Most people will try to avoid their fate if they find it unacceptable, but then fate steps in and forces the issue. Wanda is different, she deliberately attempts to fill the role fate lays out for her, without resisting.
    Last edited by ishnar; 2009-05-17 at 03:19 PM.
    "If I could just interrupt your stunningly dysfunctional group dynamic for a moment to interject." -- Erfworld

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

for me it just explains why Wanda put up with Stanley.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    Agreed. Wanda is seeming more and more like a one-dimensional character. If Parson stays with Gobwin Knob for the next book, I predict that
    Spoiler
    Show
    much of the plot will be a battle of wills between Parson, who regrets killing, and Wanda, who wants power and is chessmastering Stanley.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, having only seen Ansom for a short part after being Decrypted. I can't say that I like him more or worse than before. Depends one what comes next. We'll have to see.

I've always liked Wanda and I don't think that'll change much unless things really go in a different direction that I would like. And for Stanley, I have mixed feelings about him but he can be hilarious from time to time.
    Bogles are very tasty if you can get the skin off. It's getting a blade on them that's the problem.

Thanks to CrimsonAngel for the avvy. :)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

I like that everyone is on the same side now. Make love, not war.

I didn't like it when Erfworld was scary and complicated. The cute names like "dwagon" and "gobwin" and the teddy bears helped me through. And now that Parson is a hippiemancer by breaking things it's clear that the next thing he breaks is not eating the supplied food that the game pops and goes on a hunger strike like a true hippie. Then he'll break more rules by eating another unit!!!! It'll be Wanda, of course, to give us fans with a vore fetish some service. Then he'll inherit all of her powers like Cell from Dragonball Z and all of those nasty skulls will turn into flowers. Hamsters make more sense but flowers are prettier and smell better and I like them more!

Then he'll make friends with Charlie, and Vinnie will turn into Edward! EEEEEEEEEEEEE!
    Last edited by YeahThatGuy; 2009-06-05 at 12:03 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YeahThatGuy View Post
    I like that everyone is on the same side now. Make love, not war.

I didn't like it when Erfworld was scary and complicated. The cute names like "dwagon" and "gobwin" and the teddy bears helped me through. And now that Parson is a hippiemancer by breaking things it's clear that the next thing he breaks is not eating the supplied food that the game pops and goes on a hunger strike like a true hippie. Then he'll break more rules by eating another unit!!!! It'll be Wanda, of course, to give us fans with a vore fetish some service. Then he'll inherit all of her powers like Cell from Dragonball Z and all of those nasty skulls will turn into flowers. Hamsters make more sense but flowers are prettier and smell better and I like them more!

Then he'll make friends with Charlie, and Vinnie will turn into Edward! EEEEEEEEEEEEE!
    No...Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    No...Just No.
    I'm hoping the person was trying too hard to make it a joke...
    Bogles are very tasty if you can get the skin off. It's getting a blade on them that's the problem.

Thanks to CrimsonAngel for the avvy. :)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Bogle View Post
    Personally I laughed, trying too hard or not.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Bogle View Post
    It started off serious... the decrypting does allow Parson to create peace by killing everyone and assimilating their corpses Borg-style. Kind of fits the whole theme of Parson making a better Erfworld for tomorrow by breaking it today ( in this case, breaking conventional means of peace ).

It's like "saving" someone in Dominic Deegan.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

People seem to confuse the fact that we now know more of Wanda's motivations with her being one-dimensional. Which isn't strange, since the more we know a person has the less of a wildcard that person becomes. Someone with a backstory can be predicted, someone wholly unknown could do anything, for any reason.

Wanda might be less mysterious now, but I don't agree that she'e one-dimensional now. If anything I think her character just got a bit more interesting, from just being rather bland evilcute fanservice deus ex dispenser to someone with an agenda.

So yeah, I like Wanda more now. Amsom more too, probably, but more because it gives Parson a slightly-too-into-it henchman that he has to deal with. So far everyone has been nice and polite and just wanting everything turning out for the best, like bogroll and sizemore. It's going to be interesting seeing how Parson reacts to having someone under his command

And it's going to be REALLY interesting to see what Stanley does to Parsons new lackey. :D
    Last edited by Mask; 2009-06-09 at 01:15 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Stanley, I'm liking more and more. Not because of him sacking FAQ, though. I was pretty sure he had done that, anyways.

Ansom, I'm not sure about. I'll have to wait until we've seen more of him, but he was pretty much my favorite character before the whole decryption thing, and I hope he doesn't change too much.

I've always disliked wanda, and I dislike her even more now that we've learned her motives. Doing what she did solely for power just seems a little too simple and petty for her.