New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Best Eldritch Blast Build?

The Warlock in my group hasn't taken Hex, and we're level 5. I'm not going to tell him how to build his character, but it made me curious about Eldritch Blast builds.

I'm pretty familiar with Warlock 2/Sorcerer X for the Quickened Spell Metamagic for two uses of Eldritch Blast, but I was curious about whether or not it's worth it to dip (or even start with) Fighter 2 for Action Surge, Medium Armor, Shields, and the Defense Fighting Style.

Beyond that, is it best to stick with Sorcerer from that point out? Or are you better off grabbing two or even three Archetypes? Eldritch Knight, Pact of the Tome, and a Sorcerer Archetype? I'd probably take Wild Magic, even though it's less optimized.

I'm normally not one for complicated multiclass builds, but I was intrigued by the fact that Eldritch Blast is a cantrip that scales with character level, so you have your shtick from a pretty early level.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Best Eldritch Blast Build?

I like the idea of Warlock 2/Fighter 2/Sorcerer 16. I would go to Warlock 2/Sorcerer 8 before a dip in fighter though, for the spell slots.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm a fan of Spell Sniper (the feat) and Eldrich Spear (the invocation) for EB-focused builds. Gets you a range of 600 ft. with your EB. With the Distant Spell metamagic from Sorcerer, that can double again to 1200 ft.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    I'm a fan of Spell Sniper (the feat) and Eldrich Spear (the invocation) for EB-focused builds. Gets you a range of 600 ft. with your EB. With the Distant Spell metamagic from Sorcerer, that can double again to 1200 ft.
    Plus it ignores half and three quarter cover.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

To milk the absolute most out of your EB, you need only 2 lvls of warlock, 2 lvls of fighter, 3 lvls of rogue(assassin), and the rest sorcerer(likely draconic).

If you can invis, hide, and set up a hexed assassination (autocrit) you will do 200 to 300 damage with your blast, quickened blast, action surge high lvl scorching ray.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by PeteNutButter View Post
    To milk the absolute most out of your EB, you need only 2 lvls of warlock, 2 lvls of fighter, 3 lvls of rogue(assassin), and the rest sorcerer(likely draconic).

If you can invis, hide, and set up a hexed assassination (autocrit) you will do 200 to 300 damage with your blast, quickened blast, action surge high lvl scorching ray.
    You would actually need EB, Quickened Scorching Ray, Action Surge EB. If you cast any spell as a bonus action (including a cantrip), you can't cast any other spells except cantrips. Same net damage, but just so your DM can't stop it

EDIT: Also remember that you can't have Invisibility and also Hex. I figured you meant that by saying "set up" the assassination and so you already accounted for that, but just so its clear to everyone!
    Last edited by RickAllison; 2016-02-23 at 01:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

"Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

Hours later...

"... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Does assassins auto crit work with spells?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Does assassins auto crit work with spells?
    The phrasing is "any hit you score", so yes.

Edit: Provided they work via an attack roll, of course.
    Last edited by hymer; 2016-02-23 at 02:18 PM.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Not too far behind the sorcerer is Warlock 2, lore bard x. This lets you use swift-quiver as a bonus action at level 8 to throw out more attacks. If you want to focus on at will damage then warlock 2, lore bard 6 then rogue for sneak attack on the arrows can punch up the damage.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    Not too far behind the sorcerer is Warlock 2, lore bard x. This lets you use swift-quiver as a bonus action at level 8 to throw out more attacks. If you want to focus on at will damage then warlock 2, lore bard 6 then rogue for sneak attack on the arrows can punch up the damage.
    I will wait to hear more on this, but I really like this idea. I've been looking at a Lore Bard, and getting an EB build for it to deal good damage would be wonderful!
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

My personal preference is Warlock 2/Eldritch Knight 7/Assassin 11, capitalising on War Magic and Assassinate. It doesn't quite match Sorc builds for pure nova, but it's got a lot more staying power (and its Action Burst nova is still quite satisfactory)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Edit: Nvm
    Last edited by UberMagus; 2016-02-23 at 02:55 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UberMagus View Post
    I was 90% sure it specified "weapon"...
    The word 'weapon' doesn't occur in the section detailing the ability 'Assassinate'.

Edit:
    You're quoting from the rules on Sneak Attack, which do not cause criticals in themselves.

Edit: Fair enough.
    Last edited by hymer; 2016-02-23 at 03:00 PM.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Realized it was for the auto-crit and not Sneak Attack?
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

15. - Top - End - #15

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    Realized it was for the auto-crit and not Sneak Attack?
    Yup!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Yup!
    And that's why we love Assassin! It seems so weird that a Half-Orc wielding a giant greataxe is suddenly a very viable sneak-killer
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Sorcerer 1/Warlock 4/Sorcerer +3/Rogue 3/Fighter 2/Warlock +7 worked well for me...

Variant Human, Criminal
    8/14/16/8/10/16
    Spell Sniper, +2 Charisma, +2 Charisma, (choice of Warcaster or Crossbow Expert)
    Acrobatics, Perception, Intimidation, Deception, Stealth, +Persuasion
    Quicken and Distant Spell
    All three EB invocations, Devil's Sight, One with Shadows
    Defensive Combat Style
    Expertise in Stealth and Intimidation
    Book (or chain)/Archfiend, Wild Sorcerer, Assassin

Consistant EB power with great burst blast potential, kiting potential, great scout, party face, fair utility spell selection, 19/20 AC... Brings a lot to the party

18. - Top - End - #18

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    You can't get swift quiver at bard 6

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by thebiglost1 View Post
    You can't get swift quiver at bard 6
    You can with Lore Bard. They get Additional Magical Secrets at level 6!

EDIT: It's the equivalent bonus to when Valor Bards get their second attack.
    Last edited by RickAllison; 2016-02-23 at 08:04 PM.
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

20. - Top - End - #20

BlackDragon

You can't get a 5th level spell at level 6.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

You can't get a 5th level spell at level 6.
    Ahhhh, that's the issue. Yeah, that would pose a problem.
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

22. - Top - End - #22

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    Ahhhh, that's the issue. Yeah, that would pose a problem.
    Sorry I didn't completely explain in the first post. Just got off work and kinda spent lol

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Sorry I didn't completely explain in the first post. Just got off work and kinda spent lol
    Oh, you're good! I've never actually looked at Swift Quiver, so my bad
    All it takes is once:

Hours later...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I agree with Fighter 2 and Sorcerer X for maxing your EB potential, but I wouldn't build Assassin Rogue. Surprise rounds don't occur that often, at least not in my group. If you want to build to be useful in EVERY fight, then go with Thief 3 instead. Fast Hands lets you throw Ball Bearings down as a bonus action before you EB, so you can Repelling Blast enemies into them and knock them prone. It works really, really well. Once the Ball Bearings are down on the round 1, you can also throw Caltrops down on round 2, so when they are pushed into the "trap", then are proned AND slowed AND take a little extra damage. They never have the movement speed to escape your trap at that point. That's a powerful combo right there. On round 3, you can Quicken Spell and/or Twin Spell for pushing multiple enemies in the same "trap". You can always Action Surge too to get your trap set up faster.

Also, I'd take Warlock to 3 for a familiar, since they're always useful. Hell, why not let them throw the Caltrops while you throw the Ball Bearings? Plus, if you're a halfling or gnome, your Imp pet has enough carrying capacity to carry you in the air, so you'll never get caught in your own traps.

If you don't want to go halfling or gnome though, then the best EB build is Warlock 3/Thief 3/Draconic Sorc 14. You give up Action Surge from Fighter for Draconic Sorc's level 14 Flight so you never get caught in your own traps.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    My personal preference is Warlock 2/Eldritch Knight 7/Assassin 11, capitalising on War Magic and Assassinate. It doesn't quite match Sorc builds for pure nova, but it's got a lot more staying power (and its Action Burst nova is still quite satisfactory)
    That right there is my preference too.
    It has virtually identical DPR to a Frenzying, Reckless Attacking Barbarian at level 20, without using its Concentration for anything (If using Hex or Darkness + Devil's Sight, it does considerably more DPR than the Barbarian). It also has much more utility through its skills and magic, and best of all it progresses far more linearly than the random bursts of power other classes get at certain levels. It is one of the few multiclass options that actually progresses faster than the single-class options, which more than eliminates the biggest drawback of the multiclassing system.

EDIT: the Warlock 2/ Bard 11/ Arcane Trickster 7 combination sounds pretty good too if you roll well enough to be able to live off only 3 ASIs. It is a lot more jumpy in its progression and can only pull off its main trick a max of 4 times per long rest, but the power is certainly there.
    Last edited by Giant2005; 2016-03-04 at 10:07 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    Out of interest, in what order would you take the levels if playing this build from level 1?