New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Baulder's Gate 2

I need help! I am running a Fighter/Mage/Thief solo through Baldur's Gate 2. I am in the underdark right now, and I just killed the Balor in the Svurvkin village and now I cant get the Earthquake scroll to cast and finish the quest!
    Quote Originally Posted by tricktroller View Post
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Certainly if you have magic, or magic items that specify that is how that goes, it does. why? Because MAGIC! Does that mean that is how that works in general? Well, the same way that a wizard cast a finger of death on something and that means that whatever he points at must make a save or die. Well, I guess thats ok, cause in D&D, death doesn't stop them from living.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    Barbarians are sweet at first level, especially if the main goal is indiscriminate murder.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Baulder's Gate 2

You should have been given the Stone Shape scroll when you accepted the quest. Check everyone's inventory, then search on the ground near the svirfneblin mayor and near where the balor died.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I have the scroll, and it is in a quickslot item slot, but clicking it does nothing!!!!!!!!! And I have been working so hard on this solo run on insane! I dont wanna lose it!
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.
    Certainly if you have magic, or magic items that specify that is how that goes, it does. why? Because MAGIC! Does that mean that is how that works in general? Well, the same way that a wizard cast a finger of death on something and that means that whatever he points at must make a save or die. Well, I guess thats ok, cause in D&D, death doesn't stop them from living.
    Barbarians are sweet at first level, especially if the main goal is indiscriminate murder.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

IIRC you should click on the pit instead...
    We'll build a fortress
    To keep them out
    And in a world gone silent
    I'll be your sound

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

ok, thanks, I'll try it
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bit Fiend View Post
    IIRC you should click on the pit instead...
    Yes, activating the pit is the correct way to 'use' the scroll. I ran into this exact issue my first time through.
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2013-02-19 at 12:43 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonauran View Post
    Yes, activating the pit is the correct way to 'use' the scroll. I ran into this exact issue my first time through.
    Thank you. Do you have to have it in your invintory vs quickslot, or stand somewhere special to make it work?
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Doesn't matter as far as I know...

Edit: Just have someone stand close to the pit
    Last edited by Bit Fiend; 2013-02-19 at 12:58 PM.
    We'll build a fortress
    To keep them out
    And in a world gone silent
    I'll be your sound

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

It's just saying "the pit is empty" when I click on the pit
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Are you getting the mouse icon that resembles a question mark or the circular arrows? If i recall correctly, it should be the arrows and the area to click is near the bottom of the open pit.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

its the two arrows in a circle. I'll try clicking near the bottom of the pit.

Worst comes to worst, is there a way to cheat past it? Past the individual quest, preferrably, but the Ust Natha, or past the Underdark is all good options too!
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Are you getting the mouse icon that resembles a question mark or the circular arrows? If i recall correctly, it should be the arrows and the area to click is near the bottom of the open pit.
    Alas! again to no avail!
    Last edited by Immabozo; 2013-02-19 at 01:46 PM.
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

You can just leave the Underdark if you want. A bit to the south of the bridge to the svirfneblin village is a path to the west edge of the map. Go through there and you'll find the kua-toa area. In there, there is a door guarded by some drow. Kill them, and you should be able to go through it to the surface.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    You can just leave the Underdark if you want. A bit to the south of the bridge to the svirfneblin village is a path to the west edge of the map. Go through there and you'll find the kua-toa area. In there, there is a door guarded by some drow. Kill them, and you should be able to go through it to the surface.
    I had this thought, but the door is locked, when I try to pick it, I get "this door is sealed by drow magic. There must be some way to undo it..."
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... I was sure I remembered there being a way to open it before the dragon did it for you. I don't remember what that way was, though. I thought that it was just that you had to kill all the drow guarding it, but you've likely already done that.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... I was sure I remembered there being a way to open it before the dragon did it for you. I don't remember what that way was, though. I thought that it was just that you had to kill all the drow guarding it, but you've likely already done that.
    I think you could leave only after you got
    Spoiler
    Show
    disguised as a drow.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Can you move the scroll around?

See if you can activate it from one of your regular inventory slots. If not, try the potion trick to get the scroll to cast. (IE, in the inventory screen, go to potion description, drink potion. then before you exit the inventory screen, swap the positions of the potion and the scroll. it should result in the scroll being used instead). This might work in the quickslot slots as well, just be sure to switch positions before leaving the inventory screen.

I'd be more helpful if i was at my home computer.
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2013-02-19 at 03:04 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by karpik777 View Post
    I think you could leave only after you got
    Spoiler
    Show
    disguised as a drow.
    At that point, I'd just go through Ust Natha. I cant remember if there is good equipment there, but there certainly is a lot of experience and good storyline. (and I am relatively certain I can solo the entire city, a thought I will test out upon finishing Ust Natha)

Can you move the scroll around?
    yes

See if you can activate it from one of your regular inventory slots. If not, try the potion trick to get the scroll to cast. (IE, in the inventory screen, go to potion description, drink potion. then before you exit the inventory screen, swap the positions of the potion and the scroll. it should result in the scroll being used instead). This might work in the quickslot slots as well, just be sure to switch positions before leaving the inventory screen.

I'd be more helpful if i was at my home computer.
    Didn't work 8( Although I think that is an interesting trick, that if I didn't have UAI, I might employ.

One thing that just occurred to me, I am right clicking the desktop icon and clicking "run as administrator", which is the only way I have found to get the damn thing to not crash when I try to play ToB or go to Watcher's Keep. When I "run as administrator" none of my saved games appeared and I had to start over. Also, I had to re-install the one mod I use, to raise the EXP cap to level 50.
    Last edited by Immabozo; 2013-02-19 at 03:18 PM.
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hmm, i'm stumped. I'll try to recreate it when I get home tonight to see if I have the same issue. Are you playing the original game? A modded game? I can only guess a script didnt get triggered when the balor died.

Also, are you running the game in compatibility mode for windows xp? I use vista (ugh) and can only get the game to run glitch free on compatibility mode (with adm privilages).

Didn't work 8( Although I think that is an interesting trick, that if I didn't have UAI, I might employ.
    Yes, a very useful trick when you want your main character to have a familiar and can't cast mage spells. Why, yes sir, my fighter/cleric (or cleric rogue) has a familiar! Now, if you please, keep talking to me while it picks your pockets!
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2013-02-19 at 04:55 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, i'm stumped. I'll try to recreate it when I get home tonight to see if I have the same issue. Are you playing the original game? A modded game? I can only guess a script didnt get triggered when the balor died.

Also, are you running the game in compatibility mode for windows xp? I use vista (ugh) and can only get the game to run glitch free on compatibility mode (with adm privilages).
    No, no script was triggered, no, I am not running a modded game, beyond a mod to raise the EXP cap (IMO, a must for a solo character)

I have Windows 7, but I do not know of a compatibility mode.

Yes, a very useful trick when you want your main character to have a familiar and can't cast mage spells. Why, yes sir, my fighter/cleric (or cleric rogue) has a familiar! Now, if you please, keep talking to me while it picks your pockets!
    that's hilarious
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

No, no script was triggered, no, I am not running a modded game, beyond a mod to raise the EXP cap (IMO, a must for a solo character)
    So, only slightly modded. Do you have a save before the fight with the Balor? You might have to redo it.

I have Windows 7, but I do not know of a compatibility mode.
    Not much different than Vista. Compatibility mode is access by right clicking the .exe file (baldur.exe for instance), going to properties and clicking the 'Compatibility' tab. It allows you to have the system simulate running the program as if it was that operating system. Solves a lot of issues with older games made for a 32 bit system.

I recommend running the game in Windows XP compatibility mode. As always, backup your saves in case something goes wrong (it shouldn't). Reload to before the fight and try it again.

that's hilarious
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2013-02-19 at 07:38 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll try that compatibility thing and let you know how it goes, thanks again
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Flumph

IIRC, if you kill the dragon she drops a scroll that opens the gate. It's the way of escaping if you screw up the Ust Natha plot.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

One thing that just occurred to me, I am right clicking the desktop icon and clicking "run as administrator", which is the only way I have found to get the damn thing to not crash when I try to play ToB or go to Watcher's Keep. When I "run as administrator" none of my saved games appeared and I had to start over. Also, I had to re-install the one mod I use, to raise the EXP cap to level 50.
    Installing to somewhere, anywhere, other than Program Files should fix these issues. Old games have problems with the protection that Vista and beyond give to the Program Files folders.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    Installing to somewhere, anywhere, other than Program Files should fix these issues. Old games have problems with the protection that Vista and beyond give to the Program Files folders.
    I'll try that, thank you. But I have never had a problem with it before and I have beaten the game 3 or 4 times, all the same install location
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    I will have to second this. I have BGII installed to my C:\Games\ folder, rather than program files. You don't have to uninstall/reinstall to move the files (thankfully), just move them and change the baldur.ini file to point to the correct folders.

As for the issue you're having. It does appear that you need to activate the scroll from a quickslot slot, in the gameplay screen. I believe it has to be a mage to activate it. If that still doesn't work, its not necessary to complete this quest to continue with the underdark. You'll miss out on 25k xp and a skullcrusher mace +3.

What you need is the Light Gem to proceed. You can get it 3 ways, normally. Complete the quest, pickpocket Goldander or loot it off his corpse. You can also cheat the item in with the console commands or use shadowkeeper to give it to your character. Code for console is: CLUAConsole:CreateItem("MISC9R") I'd also use the console to add 25k xp to your character, just cause.
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2013-02-20 at 07:17 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I will have to second this. I have BGII installed to my C:\Games\ folder, rather than program files. You don't have to uninstall/reinstall to move the files (thankfully), just move them and change the baldur.ini file to point to the correct folders.
    I tried this and it doesn't like me. I'll try a complete re-install and hopefully my game will still be there

EDIT: reinstall to a not-program files location
    Last edited by Immabozo; 2013-02-20 at 06:56 PM.
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I tried this and it doesn't like me. I'll try a complete re-install and hopefully my game will still be there

EDIT: reinstall to a not-program files location
    Be absolutely sure to backup your save game folder. Also, see my previous post. I edited it with a work around when you posted.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

As for the issue you're having. It does appear that you need to activate the scroll from a quickslot slot, in the gameplay screen. I believe it has to be a mage to activate it. If that still doesn't work, its not necessary to complete this quest to continue with the underdark. You'll miss out on 25k xp and a skullcrusher mace +3.
    This worked perfectly, thank you! As a solo character that like to be very thorough, I wont miss the 25k exp.

F/M/T level 19/18/23 is doing just fine, haha. My favorite tactic is similacrum, both mirror image, blur, stealth in, activate critical strike HLA, back stab (seeing the two most powerful enemies in an encounter explode from a 150 and the other 160 point back stab, was like shooting up heroin) and then have my original cast mislead, and the back stab every combatant while they focus on the similacrum and the image!
    Lol Bad bozo. Bad.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

This worked perfectly, thank you! As a solo character that like to be very thorough, I wont miss the 25k exp.
    Which method worked? Clicking the quickslot item or getting the stone through other means? Pickpocket, looting corpse or cheating?

I like to be thorough.

F/M/T level 19/18/23 is doing just fine, haha. My favorite tactic is similacrum, both mirror image, blur, stealth in, activate critical strike HLA, back stab (seeing the two most powerful enemies in an encounter explode from a 150 and the other 160 point back stab, was like shooting up heroin) and then have my original cast mislead, and the back stab every combatant while they focus on the similacrum and the image!
    Excellent tactics.