1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Harry Potter and the Natural 20 III: Save or Die

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8096183...the-Natural-20

Previous threads:
    1: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...the-Natural-20
    2: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...the-Natural-20

This is the story of a Dungeons & Dragons minimax/rules lawyer wizard put into the Potter verse.

At the same time, we see some intelligent, thinking and planning police officers in the Muggle world.

How do people like Malfoy react to intelligent police? How does the wizarding world in general react?

And of course, how do two different groups of people operating under different sets of rules interact in combat?
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Natural 20 III: Save or Die

Glad to see it is back again.

At the same time, we see some intelligent, thinking and planning police officers in the Muggle world.
    I like that it shows what would most likely happen: they are thought to be crazy.

How do people like Malfoy react to intelligent police?
    Same as everyone else intimidate, bribe or make a deal.

How does the wizarding world in general react?
    Not well but they do have some government liaison already in place and memory erasers

And of course, how do two different groups of people operating under different sets of rules interact in combat?
    From what we have seen so far they mesh chaotic but as best benefits the story, I liked the aside about historical crossbow speed verse DnD crossbow reload speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    You don't see the gnomes running around fighting wars with each other, do you? No, because they're civilized.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

It's back? Yay!

4. - Top - End - #4

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    Glad to see it is back again.

I like that it shows what would most likely happen: they are thought to be crazy.
    I just like the idea of a walkman with "here's what happened to you".

Same as everyone else intimidate, bribe or make a deal.
    Well, the tax agencies don't go for those ...

Not well but they do have some government liaison already in place and memory erasers

From what we have seen so far they mesh chaotic but as best benefits the story, I liked the aside about historical crossbow speed verse DnD crossbow reload speed.
    I still like the whole "forgetting over summer" vs "perfect memory of skills never used".
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I had stopped checking for updates entirely. Thanks for posting!

I like how this story reads because it pokes fun at 3.5 rules, which I have a love hate relationship with. And also manages to the best harry potter fan fiction I have read.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Excellent!
    I'd almost given up on it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

It back? good I like it because its a character learning to stop being a munchkin and become an actual person while realizing that his rules don't work with harry potter rules and thus can't use the same tricks he is always used to.

.....but where was I again?

frack, I think I almost completely forgot how it went, even though I read the whole thing through.

I think I'll have to read the whole thing again....
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

8. - Top - End - #8
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    It back? good I like it because its a character learning to stop being a munchkin and become an actual person while realizing that his rules don't work with harry potter rules and thus can't use the same tricks he is always used to.

.....but where was I again?
    I especially liked him making his mother a level 20 wizard baker (who never uses magic in her baking), and then later introducing the next incarnation of The Munchkin to the wonders of food that has flavor. "First time he's used his taste buds since his backstory."

The neverending succession of things that Milo considers normal but Potterverse people consider crazy, or the reverse, is always good for a laugh too.

frack, I think I almost completely forgot how it went, even though I read the whole thing through.

I think I'll have to read the whole thing again....
    Not exactly a hardship.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

9. - Top - End - #9

BlackDragon

One thing I really liked about that whole baker issue is the reference to OOTS. V's significant other was a baker. There was a discussion on the forum at one point as to whether or not baker was a "prerequisite class" (sorry, I don't know the exact term) for magicians. I think there was even a scene around the three fiends time where the little imp had a what if scene where he ran into a baker.

My favorite abuse has to be that because a quarterstaff is worthless, not only can he turn a wall of wood into a pile of quarter staffs, he can turn a giant ship's mast into a giant quarterstaff. Of course, a baby using a standard move action to reload a crossbow isn't too far behind.
    Last edited by keybounce; 2017-12-03 at 01:34 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    My favorite abuse has to be that because a quarterstaff is worthless, not only can he turn a wall of wood into a pile of quarter staffs, he can turn a giant ship's mast into a giant quarterstaff. Of course, a baby using a standard move action to reload a crossbow isn't too far behind.
    Speaking of quarterstaffs, the fact that Milo has more physical combat ability than anyone at Hogwarts due to his BAB is pretty fun.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    It's back? Yay!

Let me reiterate that YAY!!!

Luckily I just gave it a reread 3 weeks ago due to recommending it to a friend.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Phew. I have reread the whole thing now. Can't wait for the next update! Hope he's back to weeklies...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Hurray! I thought it was a deadfic.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Not exactly a hardship.
    I've reread, its great.

I forgot that this fic had a Muggle actually try to find out about the wizarding world by herself. I mean I remembered that there was a fic that did that, but I forgotten that it was this specific one. but thats the great thing about it; the reason why she is a problem for wizards at all is not because she is special or anything but because her police station got a computer, and wizards don't deal with technology so they never think to erase the files on there or get rid of her tape recorder.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

I've reread, its great.

I forgot that this fic had a Muggle actually try to find out about the wizarding world by herself. I mean I remembered that there was a fic that did that, but I forgotten that it was this specific one. but thats the great thing about it; the reason why she is a problem for wizards at all is not because she is special or anything but because her police station got a computer, and wizards don't deal with technology so they never think to erase the files on there or get rid of her tape recorder.
    I'd argue she is a bit special. Maybe not 'potentially limitless cosmic powers' sort of special, but definitely 'unusually skilled and hard to find and kill' special.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    I'd argue she is a bit special. Maybe not 'potentially limitless cosmic powers' sort of special, but definitely 'unusually skilled and hard to find and kill' special.
    As a major character, I agree that she is special. That being said, I feel that she isn't annoyingly special that breaks suspension of disbelief. Reading Fiona's story arc so far fits with the reaction I expect from a competent Muggle in the modified Harry Potter universe. Reading through the story, she is called out in having aikido training, with the level of training unspecified.

17. - Top - End - #17

She's competent, was willing to take the possibility of magic seriously when she found some hard to explain evidence of it, and approached the problem of how to deal with it in a clever and truly intelligent way. That's pretty much the full extent of her specialness, but she's leveraged it into some major accomplishments anyway.

Her memory of magic events was erased once, she quite reasonably assumed it could happen again (where many protagonists, and even real people, would assume the opposite or just not even consider it), and she created a recovery safeguard for it that they'd be unlikely to ever find but that she would almost be guaranteed to trigger. That by itself was enough for me to like her, and her treating the entire investigation with similar genuine intelligence just kept making it better.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2017-12-05 at 04:38 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    She's competent, was willing to take the possibility of magic seriously when she found some hard to explain evidence of it, and approached the problem of how to deal with it in a clever and truly intelligent way. That's pretty much the full extent of her specialness, but she's leveraged it into some major accomplishments anyway.

Her memory of magic events was erased once, she quite reasonably assumed it could happen again (where many protagonists, and even real people, would assume the opposite or just not even consider it), and she created a recovery safeguard for it that they'd be unlikely to ever find but that she would almost be guaranteed to trigger. That by itself was enough for me to like her, and her treating the entire investigation with similar genuine intelligence just kept making it better.
    I'm looking forward to Milo and her getting into a spiral of paranoia together.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I will say that I like the effects of a Dementor for Milo. It's a good cross world interaction.

I dislike it because level drains suck, but it works well for the story.

The one thing that drives me a bit nuts on the re read is Milo's meta reactions to narrative forces. I know he's improved from the start of the story, but it will be nice if this improvement continues.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I love the fic in general, there's a good back and forth rather than 'watch the lead dominate everyone.' I feel like the copper stuff overstayed its welcome, though, it came to a natural conclusion and then kept going past it.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    I love the fic in general, there's a good back and forth rather than 'watch the lead dominate everyone.' I feel like the copper stuff overstayed its welcome, though, it came to a natural conclusion and then kept going past it.
    I think having Fiona still around is useful, since this fic restarts the war while the kids are still more bound to Hogwarts. Having a point of view character that is able to move and observe the war in it's initial stages from the protaganist side isn't a bad thing in my opinion.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Except that to stop her story, Fiona would have had to be killed or crippled or undergone a radical personality change. She has been shown to be smart, resourceful, doggedly determined to uncover this conspiracy, and clever enough to keep backup information around where she will easily find it and enemies won't. Since she was left alive at the end of CC, she pretty much has to be in the ongoing story in some way. Personally, I very much enjoy her angle on things. Milo is fun but the more 'real character' he becomes, the less interesting he is. As usually happens with stories, the more emphasis you put on detailed and developed characters and plot, the less humorous it becomes. Since humor seems to be taking a back seat to plot these days, Fiona helps the serious aspect of the story immensely, since she is far more interesting than any of the original HP crew and better than them for a serious treatment.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

One thing I love about the way Sir Poley is taking the story is how Milo trivializes many of the original plot points and seems powerful, but doesn't achieve any better results. It could be argued that he's actually making things worse.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I am curious if Milo will complete the Rainbow Servant PrC in story to see all of that in story.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

I kind of doubt it. By then he'd be at least 15th level, which means 8th level spells. Considering how well he's done with, to start with, just 2nd, this would be overkill. Wouldn't have to worry about AK with Death Ward around unless Poley randomly determines that's too broken to permit. it would be fun to see, though.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    I kind of doubt it. By then he'd be at least 15th level, which means 8th level spells. Considering how well he's done with, to start with, just 2nd, this would be overkill. Wouldn't have to worry about AK with Death Ward around unless Poley randomly determines that's too broken to permit. it would be fun to see, though.
    Considering how much Voldemort and Death Eaters like AK spam in combat, Death Ward is probably high on Milo's research list. Could make for a fun Oh Crap! moment when they realize their spells aren't effective.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Adderbane View Post
    Considering how much Voldemort and Death Eaters like AK spam in combat, Death Ward is probably high on Milo's research list. Could make for a fun Oh Crap! moment when they realize their spells aren't effective.
    There's already been that to some extent when Milo summoned something undead (I think it was a skeleton), and the summon proceeded to be completely unaffected by AK.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I just had the amusing fan theory pop into my head: There has been a cross-over between Milo's world and Harry Potter universe before, and it was Death that the Peverell Brothers robbed blind.

The wand is a magic item that allows for a limited cross over between magic systems. It is the most powerful wand in the world because it is sentient and harvests XP for fueling itself. It grows stronger upon defeating its opponents.

The Cloak is a perfect Invisibility Cloak which is rare by HP standards, not so much by Milo's

As for the Stone, Perhaps a Stone of Necromancy? One that summons ghosts and allows one to Speak with the dead. However, in the Harry Potter verse, there is no means of dismissing the ghosts unless the summoner dies.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Default Harry Potter and the Natural D20.

So like most people here Ive read the tale of Milo and have wanted it to update for some time now. Last I remembered, it was left at A better Story chapter. Well their is another chapter up after it now.

Im just asking if I am remembering incorrectly, or if anyone knows what is going on? Has Sir Poley said anything? Have I slipped into a diffre t reality where he kept writing? Is the matrix breaking down?!
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

30. - Top - End - #30

Not a new chapter to those who had hope after seeing the thread, last post on his tumblr is still the now months old one where he announced he started working on it again and posted that new chapter.

Just read it the last few days and wanted to say great fic. Not just by fan fiction stardards but it is good by book standards too.

Spoiler with random comments about the plot:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Him utterly failing in book two and making a mistake so big he dies and lets Voldy come back was a surprise. And an mistake only in the way that a spell was interpreted in a way an DM might do who is really annoyed by a munchkin and decides to beat him at his own hame.^^ Also just creating a retired high level wizard as a parent via backstory, wow great idea. But maybe a missed chance to not let her resurrect him, though I guess NPCs rarely revive PCs. Selling cursed amulets to everyone was a bit of a surprise too. I like that Hannah has more of a role now she was added as love interest in the beginning and a tad more involved but mostly didn't get to do anything when the action started even when the three HP MCs got to come along. (Btw the scene where Hermione was giving him gesture for what to say when speaking with Hannah was quite funny.) The police plot was a bit separate from the main characters at the beginning interesting to see it merge now.

Hope he really picks it up again soon. Also he should sell the ebooks or get a patreon though I guess making money from it might have copyright problems.
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2018-05-05 at 03:12 PM.