New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Is there a good science fantasy system to try out?

For the longest time, I've been looking for a game that could capture the tone of something akin to the star ocean series, or similar. Pathfinder has flexibility, but it would be a bit of a pain if I had to homebrew rules for the sci fi elements. D20 future's a bit too outdated for my tastes as well.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Is there a good science fantasy system to try out?

Have you looked at StarWars SAGA and/or StarWars d6?

If you don't need a PC magic system, then Eclipse Phase is neat.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

I'd use Stars Without Number. It'd OSR DnD, with fighter, psion, techie. That lends easy compatibility if you want to take it into Fantasy, as there's so much OSR stuff to quickly port over. And given Godbound, (SWN maker's Exalted clone,) you could even cook up epic boss battles to emulate the Star Ocean aesthetic even more.

The streamed down system helps process faster, to do more social melodrama or exploration, and also lets you run larger combats as desired.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Star Wars D6 with the Star Wars bits filed off (or not) could work nicely; the splatbooks are especially well-written and make great worldbuilding fodder. Jedi can be a bit OP compared to non-Jedi though, unless the non-Jedi go kinda nuts with gadgets and gear.

Savage Worlds has a sci-fi supplement that could potentially work nicely—although I haven't read it in detail; you may want to browse through it at your local FLGS before picking it up—and Savage Worlds also has a version of Rifts that works pretty well. Rifts is very much science fantasy and could work well for the planet-based parts, but doesn't involve much interplanetary travel (unless you stumble through one of the eponymous Rifts).
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Paizo just released Starfinder which is basically a science fantasy version of Pathfinder. They've changed some rules around and there's a lot less content than there is for pathfinder, but it is possible to port things over so that might not be too much of a problem.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Da Beast View Post
    Paizo just released Starfinder which is basically a science fantasy version of Pathfinder. They've changed some rules around and there's a lot less content than there is for pathfinder, but it is possible to port things over so that might not be too much of a problem.
    Yeah +1 for Starfinder - if you were already thinking of modifying PF, then this is for you.
    http://paizo.com/starfinder/
    Also there are some free SRD sites out there because the rules are mainly under the OGL
    www.starfindersrd.com

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    If you don't need a PC magic system, then Eclipse Phase is neat.
    As a side note, Eclipse Phase is very much Science Fiction instead of Science Fantasy. While there is quite a bit of Sufficiently Advanced Alien Technology lying about, there's nothing to suggest that they're anything other than ordinary technology. Sure, transhumanity can't make Pandora Gates or even understand how the control mechanism works, at least right now, but they generally have reliable control over the destinations. The main reasons they're not researching Asyncs like there's no tomorrow is that not only is there more important research to do right now, but they also aren't 100% sure that the thing that causes them is actually safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Beast View Post
    Yeah, Starfinder is probably the biggest Science Fantasy system currently in print. The fact that it's cross compatible with Pathfinder is also a boon, although anybody doing so should remember that characters advance differently.

Otherwise, the best bet I can think of are the various generics, and Shadowrun (which is fantasy cyberpunk rather than fantasy space opera).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

If you're even at the point where you'd consider modifying Pathfinder then Starfinder is probably your best option. I'd probably use Gatecrasher, but I suspect you would dislike it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

It would be easier to make a suggestion if we knew a little more detail about what you were looking for. Did you want Sci-Fi with a light dusting of fantasy, ala Shadowrun, or Fantasy with a light dusting of Sci-Fi, ala SpellJammer?

There are a few systems that would handle one or the other, but I think for the most part, a generic system, such as GURPS or the generic version of the D6 ruleset might be more what you should be looking at. With the generic systems, you can mix and match elements to get the exact feel you are looking for, with out having to hack a system to do more (or less) than the rules cover.

Generally, I would probably suggest the D6 ruleset over GURPS, for sheer ease of play, but GURPS does have WAY more supplemental material that covers pretty much any and every setting you can think of.

With a generic system, you could create your own universe for your players to explore, whereas a dedicated system normally comes pre-packaged with it's own setting (which you could completely ignore if you wanted to, but most of the examples and splat material will be heavily colored for that setting).
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I forgot about the d6 systems, Fantasy, Space, and Adventure (essentially D&D style fantasy, space opera, and pulp/urban fantasy) are still free in pdf, and cross compatible. Note that the expansion books (Fantasy Creatures, Fantasy Locations, Adventure Locations, and the excellent Space Ships*) aren't available for free any longer, although none of them are required to play the games.

Basically, the main difference is between the exact Attributes and Skills used, some subsystems, and the equipment lists. There is literally nothing stopping you from taking d6 Fantasy, adding in the Energy Weapons section of d6 Space's equipment lists, and getting a setting like an 80s cartoon. Similarly you can run d6 Space with the Magic rules from d6 Fantasy, they actually slot in neatly (due to all the 'magic' systems using a special seventh stat unique to the system, not any of their game's core six).

Now there's some things I don't like, such as Character Points being used to increase rolls, but it's all solid.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

If arithmetic is not a barrier, then the Hero Systems is a good choice. Both Star Hero and Fantasy Hero use pretty much the same rules. And since the heroes aren't usually as powerful as in Champions, the numbers aren't as big either.

But remember that there can be a lot of arithmetic in character generation.In my games, the person most comfortable with it often completes the character sheet for the people who would like some help.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

If you want something obscure and steampunk, there's Tephra. It uses a single d12 for its die mechanics, has a rather unusual advancement system that is somewhat interesting, and an extensive "build your own steampunk gadgets" subsystem. No direct magic, but the steampunk and some of the racial unique abilities you can choose to learn still give it a science-fantasy magical feel.