New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Digital PDF versions of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, On the Origin of PCs now on sale!

Hey guys, I need your help for something regarding Gumroad.

If there is anyone reading this who has already bought both PDFs, I would ask you to go to Gumroad and see if it lets you download them again right now. And, if it does, if the new version has "_v2" on the end of the name instead of "_v1".

I've uploaded the new files with the fixed art, but I can't seem to figure out whether existing customers can just download it automatically or if they have to jump through any hoops.

Also, if you can download it, take a look at the art and let me know if the "ghost" lines are gone, assuming you noticed them on the original file. Thanks.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #242

Default Re: Digital PDF versions of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, On the Origin of PCs now on sale!

Eh, never mind, I mostly figured it out.

The new fixed files are now live on Gumroad, and you should have an email waiting for you with download links. If you bought both, you should be getting two separate emails. Check your spam filter if you don't see it, but you should also be able to go to Gumroad and download it there.

But I'll still take feedback on whether the ghostly line problem is actually solved.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

3. - Top - End - #243
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post

If there is anyone reading this who has already bought both PDFs, I would ask you to go to Gumroad and see if it lets you download them again right now. And, if it does, if the new version has "_v2" on the end of the name instead of "_v1".

I've uploaded the new files with the fixed art, but I can't seem to figure out whether existing customers can just download it automatically or if they have to jump through any hoops.

Also, if you can download it, take a look at the art and let me know if the "ghost" lines are gone, assuming you noticed them on the original file. Thanks.

Hey Giant,

I just logged in on my Gumroad account, it let me download both books from the Library page again without any issues, both are marked as "_v2", and the "ghost" lines are gone in both of them!

Edit: I also confirm that I got the update email for each book, with a working download link. Well done!
    Last edited by Marp; 2015-10-19 at 12:32 PM.

4. - Top - End - #244

Great, thank you! :)
    Rich Burlew

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

But I'll still take feedback on whether the ghostly line problem is actually solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marp View Post
    Hey Giant,

I just logged in on my Gumroad account, it let me download both books from the Library page again without any issues, both are marked as "_v2", and the "ghost" lines are gone in both of them!
    ....My work here is done.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #246
    Barbarian in the Playground

I never noticed the ghostly lines problem, but OtOoPCs v2 seems to have a new problem: The comic on page 50 is shrunken.
    The Order of the Stick death pool thread -- place your bets! (Yes, it's still ongoing and maintained.)

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Hmmm. Interesting.

Was there some color correction during the update process? I'm comparing v1 and v2 side by side and v2 looks to be a little darker. I guess the best way to put it is that v1 looked washed out compared to v2.

Intentional or side product of the cleanup?

EDITED::::

Oh yes, the difference is very stark now as I compared the two side by side. It's almost as if there is a slight haze over v1. Much improved, IMO.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-10-19 at 01:18 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

8. - Top - End - #248
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

cool Re: Digital PDF versions of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, On the Origin of PCs now on sale!

The new fixed files are now live on Gumroad, and you should have an email waiting for you with download links. If you bought both, you should be getting two separate emails. Check your spam filter if you don't see it, but you should also be able to go to Gumroad and download it there.

Many thanks for dedicating extra time to fix the problem with the PDF versions!
    I already checked both books and yes, the "Black cheap lipstick" is not anymore visible!

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

I had not hoped that this will get resolved so fast [And kinda hope that means it was in the end a much easier fix than first thought]

I downloaded v2 and the problem is gone :-). To celebrate this I couldn't prevent myself to buy OtOoPCs.

Thank you for that great customer service!

Minor nitpicks:
    * I noticed (on both books) that on the 3rd page (number i in the pdf) the link to www.GiantITP.com is cut off - the bottom 10% or so is missing (still readable and most people with the ebooks should now the url, but it doesn't look nice). This was displayed correctly in DCF v1 (can't speak of OtOoPCs v1 as I don't have that file).
    * I noticed that the visual watermark on the title page was removed. Not sure if that was an accident or not (or whether there is also an invisible one). I kinda prefer it without the watermark, but wanted to point it out in case that was an accident.
    * I have no clue about pdfs, but I'm impressed about the file size reduction from v1 to v2 (DCF went from 108 to 31 MB). I haven't noticed any drop in quality, so that's a nice bonus ;-)

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

10. - Top - End - #250

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffnoy View Post
    I never noticed the ghostly lines problem, but OtOoPCs v2 seems to have a new problem: The comic on page 50 is shrunken.

Wow, nice catch, in my version has the same problem. Seem that by any reason there is a "second column" which forced to shrink the comic strip..

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Belsirk View Post
    Wow, nice catch, in my version has the same problem. Seem that by any reason there is a "second column" which forced to shrink the comic strip..
    Oh, Origins! My bad.

*checks*

*edits previous post where I misunderstood what was going on*

Yes, same issue here as well. Sorry, Rich.

EDIT:::::

There are two vertical lines to the right side of that page which looks to be shifting and shrinking the image.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-10-19 at 01:23 PM.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

12. - Top - End - #252

OK, I fixed page 50 of Origins, you can download it again and it should be fixed.

Christian, I think the disappearing link on page iii might just be your reader interpreting a link badly; it shows up fine on all my systems. Is anyone else having that problem?

The watermark is supposed to still be there; it's a problem that it isn't. I'll have to contact Gumroad about that.
    Rich Burlew

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Confirming that page 50 is fixed now.

For what it's worth, the link on page iii works for me in both PDFs, but I'm not getting the watermark on either book at the moment.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-10-19 at 01:52 PM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Christian, I think the disappearing link on page iii might just be your reader interpreting a link badly; it shows up fine on all my systems. Is anyone else having that problem?
    The link on page iii works fine. I'm talking about i (which is the 3d page of the pdf after CoverA and CoverB). It is really minor (and looks exactly the same on both my readers on Linux as well as the one on Android I tested - and was perfectly fine in v1), but here is a screen:

Edit: OtOoPCs p.50 works fine now. It seems there is no new version for that (so presumably no email for it) - i just downloaded v2 again and it was corrected.
    Last edited by ChristianSt; 2015-10-19 at 01:57 PM.

Problems with [table]?
    The Order of the Stick

Thanks!

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yes, the watermark seems gone in my version too.

Now I also noticed something else. v1 of the files is 103 MB for DCF and 36 MB for OotPCs, now in the v2 it's 30 MB and 15 MB respectively.

I don't know if that reduction is just a side effect of what you did to fix the ghost lines, or if some information got lost in the process and the quality got worse.
    I admit on a cursory glance I couldn't find any reduction in quality, but I figured I mention it anyway, just in case you weren't aware of it.

Edit: Also noticed the same issue as ChristianSt with the cutoff URL

Edit #2: Also it seems all the Bookmarks in the PDF are gone. :(
    Last edited by Morquard; 2015-10-19 at 03:55 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Leafing through my copy of OtOoPCs now, waiting and hoping eagerly for a start of darkness PDF ago come on sale as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by theinsulabot;
    so before roland shows up and six guns us all, i would just like to say.....

six guns is not actually a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude;
    Sheriff: Six-gunned!
    all night guard of the fan club

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Now I also noticed something else. v1 of the files is 103 MB for DCF and 36 MB for OotPCs, now in the v2 it's 30 MB and 15 MB respectively.

I don't know if that reduction is just a side effect of what you did to fix the ghost lines, or if some information got lost in the process and the quality got worse.
    I admit on a cursory glance I couldn't find any reduction in quality, but I figured I mention it anyway, just in case you weren't aware of it.
    The Giant seems to be aware of that, he tweeted about it:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Burlew
    Just a happy accident. I don't know why it shrunk so much, but I figured I wouldn't question it.

Problems with [table]?
    The Order of the Stick

Thanks!

18. - Top - End - #258

Also, when in standard zoom, the text is so clear and sharp to read (last one had something of a slight blur, when I compare them)! Great update!

19. - Top - End - #259
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Hi Giant,

Outstanding work, the new version of both look fantastic! I received emails from Gumroad with new download links, so it was quite easy to get the new versions.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    The link on page iii works fine. I'm talking about i (which is the 3d page of the pdf after CoverA and CoverB). It is really minor (and looks exactly the same on both my readers on Linux as well as the one on Android I tested - and was perfectly fine in v1), but here is a screen:
    I have the same issue, both v2 PDFs, on page "i". I can see the issue on my Vista PC (Adobe Reader 10.1.15), Windows 7 PC (latest Adobe reader) and my MacBook with OS X 10.8.5 in Preview.

Also, for DCF, the "round 3" cover page (R3-A) still has the ghost lines in the drawing.

I also do not have a watermark on either v2 PDFs.
    Last edited by Rhasimir; 2015-10-19 at 05:29 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Got the new versions, read DCF again tonight. Thanks a bunch for the updated version! Didn't find any lines where they shouldn't be, Belkar's grin in #1 is as it should be again :) Looking forward to the next one.

21. - Top - End - #261

I'm going to fix the cut-off URL tomorrow, along with seeing what happened to the bookmarks. I want to give everyone a chance to find more mistakes before I push out a new version. So if you notice anything else, post it here.

No word from Gumroad about the stamping/watermark issue, which makes me very unhappy. I have exactly one token effort toward stopping wholesale sharing, and they can't even manage to make it work right? Ugh.

EDIT: Oh, and I looked up the shrinking file size thing. Turns out the outlining method I had to adopt to get rid of the ghostly lines uses about 75% fewer points than what I had been using, and each point adds information to the file. Hence the smaller file size. There should be no loss of quality whatsoever.
    Rich Burlew

22. - Top - End - #262
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hi Giant, Any chance that this means we'll be getting SoD, NCFTPB or War and XPs any time soon? :) (Hey, a guy can hope, right?)

23. - Top - End - #263
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LeeorV View Post
    Hi Giant, Any chance that this means we'll be getting SoD, NCFTPB or War and XPs any time soon? :) (Hey, a guy can hope, right?)
    On Twitter, Rich wrote the following (answering a question):
    @craig_poche You'll be happy to know figuring out what was wrong with these was Step 1 to working on NCftPB.
    Last edited by Armitage; 2015-10-20 at 11:54 AM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LeeorV View Post
    In this case, "soon" is likely a relative word. He has the online comic, the bonus PDFs from Kickstarter, other potential Kickstarter rewards I have probably forgotten about, and anything else we may not know of, in addition to his personal life.

If it comes out before the end of the year, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

25. - Top - End - #265

OK, new corrected Version 3's of both files are there on Gumroad for your to download through your Library. They should correct the cropping issue on the title page, the shrunken page #50 in Origins, the remaining ghostly lines on the Round 3 chapter page in DCF, and most importantly, the missing bookmarks. Also, hopefully, the watermarking issue.
    Rich Burlew

26. - Top - End - #266
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

OK, new corrected Version 3's of both files are there on Gumroad for your to download through your Library. They should correct the cropping issue on the title page, the shrunken page #50 in Origins, the remaining ghostly lines on the Round 3 chapter page in DCF, and most importantly, the missing bookmarks. Also, hopefully, the watermarking issue.
    I can't attest much as to the issues, but I got the mail and downloaded the files successfully, and they seem to be perfect.

27. - Top - End - #267

Thanks for letting me know.

Just for my own curiosity, did you use the button marked "Go to my Library now!" or did you go to Gumroad first?
    Rich Burlew

28. - Top - End - #268
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thanks for letting me know.

Just for my own curiosity, did you use the button marked "Go to my Library now!" or did you go to Gumroad first?
    I used the button in the e-mail, which led me to a login page on gumroad, and after logging in it got me straight to my library page, and I downloaded the files from there.

I must say that the reduction in size (from 100MB to 30MB for DCF!) are amazing, especially for my iPhone, because it makes it much less of a waste to keep it on there permanently.

29. - Top - End - #269

Great, that's how it's supposed to work. A few people are having problems with the login because I guess the last email didn't require you to log in to re-download the file.
    Rich Burlew

30. - Top - End - #270
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I didn't even bother with remembering any credentials, I used the "Login with Facebook" feature.