New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Default Filtering spambots

On another Php board we're being eaten alive by spambots. It's gotten so bad that we've had to temporarily lock out new users until we've found a solution to the problem.

I haven't noticed that being an issue here on GiTP. Do you have any suggestions for solving this problem? PM or e-mail welcome if public discussion is too sensitive. Or do we just have the sleepless T-800 known as Roland who spends every hour of his life drilling spambots and trolls with his trusty two guns?

Is Roland even human anymore? Or is he some sort of immortal undead bound to this board forever, protecting it from dangers mere posters were not meant to wat of? If so, what's the ritual by which such are created ? We could use one.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Filtering spambots

GitP asks a question during registration that requires a human to answer. A small forum I run has a similar mod installed, where we have a question during registration. We can set the question to anything ("What color is grass?," "What's the third word in the description of the Gaming forum?," etc).

CAPCHA is, more and more, becoming computer-decipherable. So while that used to be the answer, it's becoming less effective. (And, in my opinion, that's a good thing, because I find reading those damn images to be a major pain in the ass.)
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

The single most important requirement for a truly effective spambot filter is, I think, that it be unique to your site or at least used by very few sites. This site, for example, displays a picture of an OotS character and requires identifying the character by name in order to register. This would not be difficult for a spambot writer to beat, but it would be completely specific to only this one single web site and is therefore probably not worth the spambot writer's time and effort.

The key to this type of filter is to create an obvious and trivially easy to solve - for humans - mapping between a set of images and text responses, but make the mapping correspond to something unique to your site that any general purpose algorithm, such as text recognition, would fail to recognize.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I think some places automatically hide and mark for review any post that pings a Bayesian filter. While it takes time for the filter to 'learn' how to spot spam, it would presumably work pretty well as an incentive for spammers to leave the site alone.

We do depend to some extent on Roland St. Jude's badassery - any spam bot would have to be customised to its target site in any event, so even with a site-specific captcha, it's also important to get spam dealt with quickly, so that there's no real incentive to get a spam bot onto the site.

I've seen quite a few spam bots turn up here, but they get flagged and deleted pretty quickly. Orphaned posts might actually be a worse problem in our case.
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2010-04-08 at 11:22 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Obviously you weren't around right before the new registration question. There were, typically, 2 or 3 spam threads in EVERY forum. They normally got cleaned out whenever a mod came online, which could be as much as a 4 hour wait, but it was pretty bad.

As mentioned, the key to stopping them is an incredibly easy question that requires parsing a fairly complicated set of instructions. That it is specific to GitP is simply a bonus. Roland can probably offer more insight into how effective the filter is. Just off the top of my head, you might want to commission some art relevant to your RPG discussion and make identifying it a requirement to join. Things like "Dragon," "Tentacle," or "dwarf" would probably work. Then again, those are probably too open ended to be of use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Is Roland even human anymore?
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei221 View Post
    We know he was human once. We've found him on a popular social networking site, though which one escapes me.

What exactly happened to him on that blustery autumn day that changed everything no man may know. And I for one pray we never find out.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

You're saying Roland is no longer human?
    But that's impossible! If that were so, then he would easily control us wi--

There is no mind control, citizen. I will go back to my fun.
    Last edited by Crimmy; 2010-04-08 at 09:09 PM.
    Last edited by Crimmy : Tomorrow at 26:72 DM.

Spoiler
    Show

Iron Avatarist has gone on hiatus. Give me your feedback, please
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

According to wikipedia spambots can rarely bypass the requirement of email verification, but iIdo not know much about computers so I cannot say I'd know whether thats true or not. On a side note, what are orphaned posts?
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

10. - Top - End - #10

Well, yesterday, day before (I forget), there existed a set of spam threads that were up for a few hours, at least.

I suspect he does sleep, rarely.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by sofawall View Post
    Well, yesterday, day before (I forget), there existed a set of spam threads that were up for a few hours, at least.

BLASPHEMY!

It's a lie.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    According to wikipedia spambots can rarely bypass the requirement of email verification, but iIdo not know much about computers so I cannot say I'd know whether thats true or not. On a side note, what are orphaned posts?
    Wikipedia is pretty naive. Or so I should say, the person who added that particular bit of info is pretty ridiculously naive.

Given that most "email verification" simply entails clicking on a link in the email once, that's not exactly rocket science to do.

It's probably better to get this information on an actual internet security site, rather than a community edited wiki where any person with internet access can claim professional knowledge.
    Last edited by NerfTW; 2010-04-08 at 09:56 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Imp

Roland needs no sleep.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

DO NOT PROFANE THE ROLAND MYTHOS!!!

Phn'glui mglw'nafh Roland GITP not-wagn'nagl not-fhtagn!
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    On a side note, what are orphaned posts?
    Occasionally someone will get a post into a spam thread while it's original post is being deleted. Post #2 becomes the first post. Since it is (typically) a response to the statement that is no longer there, it is termed an "orphan".
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb The Troll View Post
    Occasionally someone will get a post into a spam thread while it's original post is being deleted. Post #2 becomes the first post. Since it is (typically) a response to the statement that is no longer there, it is termed an "orphan".
    Another reason not to reply to spam.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    Another reason not to reply to spam.
    Yes, aside from the Forum Rules telling us not to do it.

It is not a good idea to leave your post as a poor orphan that spends its life in and out of foster threads and advice threads, and leading eventually to getting involved with the wrong kinds of threads and possibly one day even being incarcerated in the feared Secret Hidden Moderator Penitentiary Forum For Misbehaved Posts, never to be seen again. It's a sad, sad life for a post. Don't do that to it. Please?

Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Another nice trick I've seen in another forum is that you must post 5 or 10 posts before being allowed to post in most sections. Just about the only one section open is the "newbies introduce yourself here" section. Even if the spambot goes to the right section it seems like it would be easy to monitor for rapid deletion.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    my god ive not laughed like that for quite a while. i might sig this with permission... pweaaaaase?
    Last edited by littlebottom; 2010-04-09 at 11:29 AM.
    easy 1 step guide to impersonating Sean Connery;
    step 1: repeat after me "I moustache you a question, but I'm shaving it for later."

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Go ahead. Every time someone sigs one of my quotes the doors of my accursed prison weaken and I get that much closer to sweet sweet vengeance.
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    We know he was human once. We've found him on a popular social networking site, though which one escapes me.

What exactly happened to him on that blustery autumn day that changed everything no man may know. And I for one pray we never find out.
    Wasn't he bitten by a radioactive mod, causing him to turn into Super Moderator?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

I still like the theory that there are 3 of him, one in America, France and Australia so he can be on at all times.

How did they accomplish this? They kidnapped two of the lost mods and reprogrammed them so that they were convinced they were both Roland.

On topic: How effective is requiring an admin to verify accounts before posting is allowed?
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    On topic: How effective is requiring an admin to verify accounts before posting is allowed?
    I imagine that would be too much work for any single administrator, at least on forum as widely popular as GitP. So while it would probably be quite effective, but I also imagine it's just too much work.

But then, I'm not really tehnically savy when it comes to these things and I may be miles off the mark.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    I still like the theory that there are 3 of him, one in America, France and Australia so he can be on at all times.

How did they accomplish this? They kidnapped two of the lost mods and reprogrammed them so that they were convinced they were both Roland.

How, exactly, would one verify the account? Ask for a phone number and call them at home? Take them out to lunch? Short of actually talking to someone in person, you can't prove it's a legitimate poster and not the writer of a spambot, and all talking in person will verify is that you haven't talked to them before. (Repeat offenders)

And it would be quite a considerable amount of work.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

A question or two, something unique, would be best. Spambots are all about being convenient for the people who use them. If one small forum has a unique question, it's usually not worth the trouble to program the bot to get past that.
    It could be a question like "What color is grass?" or a DnD question like "A Fireball spell is resisted with what save" (Answer, Reflex).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NerfTW View Post
    How, exactly, would one verify the account? Ask for a phone number and call them at home? Take them out to lunch? Short of actually talking to someone in person, you can't prove it's a legitimate poster and not the writer of a spambot, and all talking in person will verify is that you haven't talked to them before. (Repeat offenders).
    Ask some sort of trivial question in the registration process. One that would be too cumbersome/impossible for a computer to check, but that an Admin could tell fairly easily if it's a bot. Something like "Using between 10 and 15 words, describe your favorite type of pizza."
    Thanks to banjo1985 for the amazing Avatar.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SensFan View Post
    Ask some sort of trivial question in the registration process. One that would be too cumbersome/impossible for a computer to check, but that an Admin could tell fairly easily if it's a bot. Something like "Using between 10 and 15 words, describe your favorite type of pizza."
    For some weird reason, I did not associate "verify" with that idea, that I already like. Workload might be high on popular sites, though. I take back my incredulity.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Thanks for the ideas!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

You are welcome.

I fought you all!!!!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    *Hugs for breaking the awkardness!YAAY!
    ...Realizes he's hugging a physical manifestation of evil...*
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    He's adorable, but he's a threat to all who call the universe home. He must be stopped, no matter the cost
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Drake View Post
    "Evil, evil, death, stab, kill, cheese, moon-stuff, mice, evil, evil mice..."

Musings Pulled from D_Lord's head.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Thanks guys. We went the question route and are now able to welcome new users once again. Yay!

Respectfully,

Brian P.