New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728293031323334355075 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 378

A bit of a weird one - what are some templates that would add physical horns to the head of a Giant (specifically, an Ogre)?
    A 378

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. If you mean physical horns that can be used as part of a gore attack, then Half-Minotaur is probably your best option.

If it's more fluff-wise, Half-Dragon and Half-fiend could both conceivably add horns to a base race.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 379

Is the Dragonfire Adept's Breath Weapon subject to counterpelling or dispel magic(for standing effects), and if so, what is the Spellcraft check to figure out that he/she is initiating the breath weapon and the check to get rid of it?

I say the BW is not since it is a supernatural ability, but my DM is unsure and would like some way to affect my continual blasting.

I am asuming the dispel magic would be against DC11+caster level as normal, but what would the effective spell level of the adepts BW be for purposes of spellcraft and counterspell.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
    "I am TARINTH, slayer of dragons and eater of souls!"...The orc scratches his head. "Who?"

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 380

How do special materials and the morphing property interact? for example what happens if I change a +1 Morphing Adamantite Greatsword into a Quarterstaff?

4. - Top - End - #724
    Troll in the Playground

A 379

As a (Su)pernatural effect, the Dragonfire Adept's Breath Weapon is not subject to dispelling, counter-spelling or Spell Resistance, as mentioned in the d20 SRD (and DMG) here.

Q 381

Can a Sneak Attack be used in conjunction with a Supernatural ability, like a Reserve feat?

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 380

Nothing in the Morphing weapon property overrides existing weapon construction constraints.
    Only weapons, armor, and shields normally made of metal can be fashioned from adamantine.
    This would become a wooden +1 (on one end only) quarterstaff.

A 381

Yes, if the conditions necessary for both effects pertain. For instance, the Acidic Splatter reserve feat will let you throw an orb of acid as a ranged touch attack. If the target is denied their DEX bonus to AC, within 30', and not concealed, you could add your sneak attack damage to a successful hit.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-07-03 at 09:23 PM.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    A 378

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. If you mean physical horns that can be used as part of a gore attack, then Half-Minotaur is probably your best option.

If it's more fluff-wise, Half-Dragon and Half-fiend could both conceivably add horns to a base race.
    A 378 clarified

Just horns, they don't need to be part of a gore attack.

Are there any others besides these?

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 380 Follow-Up

So a special metal weapon would simply become a wooden one, and a weapon constructed of a special wood would become a steel weapon right? if you changed them back or into weapons that can be constructed of the special materials, they would regain the materials' properties, right?

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 380 Follow-Up

That's correct.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Titan in the Playground

Q382

Dragonfire Adept's Humanoid Shape invocation states that you can change into any humanoid, but it also states that it works as the change shape ability, which limits one to a single size category difference. Is the DFA limited in his choices by size or not?

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 382 Yes.

The invocation's text references the Change Shape special ability as a qualifier to the term "any humanoid form". If the invocation description stated "of any size" that would override the qualifier, but that override does not exist. You are limited to a form within one size of your original form.
    You can assume any humanoid form, as the change shape special ability (MM 306).

11. - Top - End - #731
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q383

Does the spell Deathward block the effect of Implosion? In other words is Implosion considered a death effect/attack?

12. - Top - End - #732
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 383 Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Implosion
    You create a destructive resonance in a corporeal creature’s body. For each round you concentrate, you cause one creature to collapse in on itself, killing it. (This effect, being instantaneous, cannot be dispelled.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Ward
    The subject is immune to all death spells, magical death effects, energy drain, and any negative energy effects.
    A spell which kills instantaneously is a death spell. Death Ward is not restricted to [Death] descriptor spells.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 383 Yes. A spell which kills instantaneously is a death spell. Death Ward is not restricted to [Death] descriptor spells.
    A 383 followup

Is there a rules citation for this?

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 383 followup
    Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete
    Is there a rules citation for this?
    Yes, in the Glossary definition:
    death attack

A spell or special ability that instantly slays the target, such as finger of death. Neither raise dead nor reincarnation can grant life to a creature slain by a death attack, though resurrection and more powerful effects can. In most cases, a death attack allows the victim a Fortitude save to avoid the affect, but if the save fails, the character dies instantly. A victim cannot be made stable and thereby kept alive. In case it matters, a dead character, no matter how she died, has -10 hit points. The spell death ward protects a character against these attacks.
    Implosion kills instantaneously, meeting the definition of a death attack spell.

Also see the spell descriptor explanation. A descriptor name is capitalized and enclosed in brackets. Without that the word just has its usual meaning: i.e., "[Death]" is a spell descriptor; "death" is as defined in a dictionary.

15. - Top - End - #735

Q384

Does an Elemental Steward, when gained as a replacement for a Psycrystal (complete psionics) gain any additional HD or HP?
    Last edited by panaikhan; 2012-07-05 at 01:53 AM.
    Current Character: Pathfinder Tiefling Sorcerer (Abyssal Sorcerer 5, Souleater 1)
    Previous Favorite Characters:
    D&D1e: Elven Mage 15/Thief ??
    D&D2e: Saurian Necromancer 12
    D&D3e: Warforged Juggernaut 5/ Artificer 5/ Acolyte of the Skin 4
    D&D4e: Drow Swarm(?) Druid 3
    OWoD: Daughter of Cacophony
    NWoD: Galatea Promethean
    DH: Hiveborn Assassin 3
    Rifts: Nanobot Swarm / Airborne Computer Virus

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q383 followup

Ah, ok. Followup question - does Holy Word count as a death attack against creatures with sufficiently few HD?

17. - Top - End - #737

Q385 Does an artificer's infusion qualify him for class that require arcane spellcasting of a certain level? If so, do classes that progress arcane casting progress infusion? (I am asking in context of using artificer, to qualify for Anima Mage)

Q386 Can you apply metamagic to infusions? I'm guessing no, but it is worth asking.
    Last edited by The Underlord; 2012-07-04 at 04:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon
    The Underlord, you are clearly awesome.
    Current avatar by TinyMushroom
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steam profile: Triginomicon
    Smite IGN:JoJoMCFroYo

18. - Top - End - #738
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 383 Yes.

But only when the creatures' HD are 10 or more below the caster level used for Holy Word.

A 385 No.
    Artificers understand magic on a different level from spellcasters, and do not cast spells as wizards and clerics do.
    A 386 No.

Metamagic feats apply to spells unless there's an explicit exception.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ogre in the Playground

Q387
    Can Substitution levels be applied "over" features altered by class variants?
    (Specifically looking at using Paladin of Tyranny with the CoV web enhancement's Shadow Cloak Knight sub levels)

20. - Top - End - #740
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Q 388

Are there any standard classes besides Monk and Rogue which have Diplomacy, Escape Artist, and Tumble as class skills?
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 387

Substitution levels are substitutes for the listed class, without variants. You would need to convince your DM to create a house rule for substitutions involving an altered class. You will have a better chance with your argument if the features being substituted have not been altered (which is not the case here), but of course you can ask in either case.

A 388

Factotum (Dungeonscape) has all skills as class skills.

22. - Top - End - #742

A 388

Also Bard.
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Like the grue lurking in your bedroom waiting for you to fall asleep.
    But perhaps some things are better left unseen...
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

A 388

Factotum, Bard, Swashbuckler, Beguiler, and Expert (chooses any 10 skills)

24. - Top - End - #744
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 389
    Can you apply the Beastskin enhancement (Magic item compendium) to non-armored magic clothing or jewelery and have the other effects on the clothing besides beastskin carry over for the druid wearing it while in animal form?

25. - Top - End - #745
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 389 No.

Beastskin is a magical armor enhancement. Magical armor enhancements can only be added to items which already have +1 or more (numerical) magic armor bonus. Non-armored clothing and jewelry are not eligible.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 382 Yes.

The invocation's text references the Change Shape special ability as a qualifier to the term "any humanoid form". If the invocation description stated "of any size" that would override the qualifier, but that override does not exist. You are limited to a form within one size of your original form.
    Q 382 Followup

I just want to make sure because I found the answer still at odds with all the suggestions for forms...

The MM Errata says:

Change Shape (Page 306–307)
    Make the following changes.
    Delete the second sentence of the entry.
    Change Shape (Su): A creature with this special quality has the ability to assume the appearance of a specific creature or type of creature (usually a humanoid), but retains most of its own physical qualities. A creature cannot change shape to a form more than one size category smaller or larger than its original form.
    And the SRD doesn't have that sentence at all, and I'm assuming it already applied to errata. Am I correct that the limit doesn't exist for neither invocation nor the change shape ability?

Q 390

Does the Scales ability from Dragonfire Adept stack with an Amulet of Natural Armor?
    Last edited by Sliver; 2012-07-05 at 02:02 AM.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HunterOfJello View Post
    A 388

Factotum, Bard, Swashbuckler, Beguiler, and Expert (chooses any 10 skills)
    Not that Expert is worth anything if Factotum is an option of course. There's also the Human Paragon Class from Unearthed Arcana, which offers the same pick-ten deal as Expert, plus one of those skills becomes a class skill for all of your future classes.

The Ardent gains a new mantle at levels 2, 5, 10 and 15. He gains the ability to exchange a primary mantle and a secondary mantle at levels 8 and 15. When you reach level 15, which order do you perform these operations in? Can you add a new mantle and immediately make it Primary, or do you switch a previous Primary to Secondary and then add a new Secondary, or are you free to choose either sequence?

28. - Top - End - #748
    Titan in the Playground

A 388 cont.

Also the Mountebank and Savant from Dragon Magazine Compendium.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 392

On Quintessential Monk II, there' s the prestige class "Master of the secret fist".
    On his rules about monk' s abilities that stack with monk level, it says "His master of the secret fist class levels stack with his monk class levels for the purposing of determining his progress in unarmed damage, armour class bonus, wholeness of body ability and unarmoured speed bonus. In addition, his flurry of blows ability continues to improve".
    Considering that at 1° level this class gains greater flurry (and gives an additional +2 on first blow if the monk already has greater flurry as a monk), the highlighted part means that if he use the flurry of blows he hasnumber of attack and a bonus to hit as a level of monk and secret fist stacked, and if he use unstead a normal attack has number of attacks and bonus only as a monk, plus the bonus of the prestige class? If not, how it means?
    Sorry for my bad english (i' m italian), if I spelled wrong I' m here to explain better :P.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Banned

Q393
    If I'm a Rogue 5 / Assassin 1, is the save against my Death Attack DC 16+INTMOD or 11+INTMOD? Does the paralysis last for 1d6+6 rounds or 1d6+1? I'm confused about whether the references "the assassin's class level" and "per level of the assassin" refer to the level in the PRC or the total character level.