New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Giant "Word of God" Index

Thank you, ThePhantasm, for saving me the trouble of looking for your sig whenever someone says something against what the Giant says.
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

Typhon by Kaptainkrutch. Thanks to TylerB7 for the latin

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks guys for all the input / suggestions / WOG findings. I'll update the post accordingly tomorrow evening UK time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    However, comments like this:
    . . . always amuse me. If something is against forum rules or offends Rich or the mods, I expect they'll lock it, delete it, maybe send Miko after you, with or without the poster's permission.
    I guess that could be amusing if I thought I was giving Rich "permission" to do something he didn't require my permission to do. I meant it more as a polite pre-emptive apology if the thread was somehow out of line, and as a polite show of respect to Rich (these are after all his comments we are compiling) even if it wasn't.

These are Rich's comments, might as well tip my hat to his ultimate right of control over them.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Heh, nice. I see you added the Enor and Ganji quotes now too.

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by KillItWithFire View Post
    The links don't seem to work for me. Am I the only one with this problem?
    Never mind, problem on my part. Nothing a good restart couldn't handle.

I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lawful Neutral
    Halfling Wizard/Cleric
    Strength- 13
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 16
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 12

There are 10 types of people in this world:
    Those that know ternary,
    those that don't
    and those that thought this was a binary joke.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

This is both awesome and very useful. Thanks for the info. Definitely need to review this stuff and check with my previous research on OOTS for my MA thesis. That reminds me I gotta update the ICWAA website. The International Council for Webcomic Analysis in Academia needs to get more recognition and members before our one year anniversary.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

I just updated the index with descriptions and some of the other suggested WOG quotes. Let me know if you spot any inaccurate descriptions.

I left some of the quotes out because I felt they were redundant, covering the same ground as other quotes just in different words. I also felt certain ones like the question about astronomical art were too inconsequential to be included. If anyone wants to pushback on these decisions though you are welcome to explain why they should be in the index.

Later today I'm going to go through the quotes and move them around. Probably make a new category for Rules Accuracy and maybe a few others. If you have any suggestions for better categories let me know.

Thanks for the input, suggestions, and complements!
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

"the linear guild is all Evil" seems to be incorrect as he says nothing to that effect in his post. Also we know for a fact that the second Kobald was good

Its more proof that Thog is evil.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmarenny View Post
    "the linear guild is all Evil" seems to be incorrect as he says nothing to that effect in his post. Also we know for a fact that the second Kobald was good

Its more proof that Thog is evil.
    This is why I wrote what I did:

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    These are the villains of the strip, after all. They are all Evil, with a capital E.
    (Emphasis mine).

The 2nd kobold wasn't around when the Giant made this statement. I'll change it to "Nale, Sabine, and Thog" instead of the general "Linear Guild."

Thanks.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

This thread is almost certainly going to expose the massive degree to which I wing everything I say.

At any rate, I'd like to request a tone-down on the use of religious metaphors for an author. I think it would be especially crass for me to disallow religious discussion on this board and then condone a thread whose title refers to me as a god. Phantasm, could you possibly change "Word of God" to something less potentially objectionable?
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Well, Evil Authorlord is already taken by Viridian of Viridian Dreams, so, is there a title that you would prefer? Anyone have any suggestions for something clever and pithy? Or does "The Giant" just work?

EDIT: As for the term "Word Of God", you are the Creator, so far as OOTS-verse goes, and that phrase is the accepted general term for pronouncements from the creator of an artistic endeavor. So it's not really religious in anything but an ironic sense. Perhaps, though, thinking of it as an acronym for Gaming Operations Designate works? :)
    Last edited by bibliophile20; 2011-10-26 at 10:08 AM.
    Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
    Isaac Asimov

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

This thread is almost certainly going to expose the massive degree to which I wing everything I say.

At any rate, I'd like to request a tone-down on the use of religious metaphors for an author. I think it would be especially crass for me to disallow religious discussion on this board and then condone a thread whose title refers to me as a god. Phantasm, could you possibly change "Word of God" to something less potentially objectionable?
    Sure thing. I am actually very religious so the metaphor "Word of God" in this context has always made me a bit uneasy, but I went with it because I figured it was just slang for "Word from the Author / Creator of this Fantasy World" kinda like how "canon" (a traditionally religious term) is used for "official story content". Anywho, I was thinking of it metaphorically in that way not sacrilegiously - hope none of my fellow religious forumgoers were offended.
    Last edited by ThePhantasm; 2011-10-26 at 10:24 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Default Re: The Giant Online Author's Commentary Index

This is really useful, but it'd be nice if you put more description in the links.

For example, in the Art section, "Invisibility: Why the art for invisible characters isn't consistent (utility trumps consistency)" and "The Oracle's Location on the OOTS Poster: Don't read too much into it." are really useful, they tell us exactly what The Giant said about the topics.

However, you left out the answer to "Why the Strip Titles Aren't Above the Strip" (Because Burlew doesn't think it's necessary and sees them as a bonus), and the extra text on "Character Appearances & Forum Speculation: Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." doesn't really tell us anything about what's being discussed.

It'd be really cool if you could read the reference without having to open the individual links.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    Sure thing. I am actually very religious so the metaphor "Word of God" in this context has always made me a bit uneasy, but I went with it because I figured it was just slang for "Word from the Author / Creator of this Fantasy World" kinda like how "canon" (a traditionally religious term) is used for "official story content". Anywho, I was thinking of it metaphorically in that way not sacrilegiously - hope none of my fellow religious forumgoers were offended.
    You could always title it "Shots from the Canon"...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    …hope none of my fellow religious forumgoers were offended.
    If I were offended, I couldn’t spend as much time as I do at TV Tropes, given how often that phrase is used there.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

This is awosome.
    nice work phantasem.
    Despite everything, its still me.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

So, is this quote going to be added to the list as well?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    So, is this quote going to be added to the list as well?
    No, but that he does not want his ramblings addressed as Word of God could be referenced.

More appropiate (and Real Life harmless) would be "Word of DR21+".

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    I don't think everyone would get that reference.
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

19. - Top - End - #49
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chess435 View Post
    I don't think everyone would get that reference.
    Who cares about "everyone"? This is a geeky forum with a D&D context. Obscure, nerdy references to lesser known D&D rules are the salt in the soup. And "everyone" who does not get it but it interested enough still can make an account and ask.

20. - Top - End - #50

SolithKnightGuy

"Word of God" is media slang for things the author/creator has said are true. The reason is that such statements carry full authority, much like how in religious groups the Scriptures are regarded as having full authority.

So there is no actual sacrilegious quality involved, but as a religious person myself I appreciate Rich's desire to avoid things that even seem to be sacrilegious.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Just reorganized a bit to break up the wall of links. Added some updated summaries according to Oppolo's suggestion.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

You mean "DVR21+." DR is the acronym for damage reduction, so you need to use DVR for divine rank.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

23. - Top - End - #53

oh! oh! Lets change the title to "A Giant Compendium of Commentary"! =D
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avy by spectralphoenix

Sammael, Aasimar Blackguard

Avys by Neoseph07

Astaroth, Human Lich Dragon Disciple

Jophiel, Gray Elf Mystic Theurge

<--Naamah Vampire Illusionist

24. - Top - End - #54
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    You mean "DVR21+." DR is the acronym for damage reduction, so you need to use DVR for divine rank.
    I pondered that as well, but found the double meaning funny and even more confusing. Is DVR the official term for that? If not, let's make it even more obscure. ;)

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Could someone please explain to this non-gamer what DVR21+ means. Or is it a literary reference?
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Divine Rank is used to measure the relative strengths of D&D deities. The acronym DVR has been suggested because DR already means something else in D&D terms, that of damage reduction. As far as I'm aware, a deity with a divine rank of over 20 (21+, in other words) is referred to as a greater deity, the highest rank it is possible to achieve within D&D terms. Edit: Seems I was mistaken.

From the SRD:

Rank 21+
    These entities are beyond the ken of mortals and care nothing for worshipers. They do not grant spells, do not answer prayers, and do not respond to queries. If they are known at all, it is to a handful of scholars on the Material Plane. They are called overdeities. In some pantheistic systems, the consent of an overdeity is required to become a god.

Am I the only one who is slightly miffed that the new thread title doesn't have some catchy acronym? I suggest something like The Giant Online Author's Transcribed Sayings, just so we can refer all newcomers to The GOATS in the future
    Last edited by Feytalist; 2011-10-27 at 06:37 AM.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

27. - Top - End - #57
    Banned

Check out the rules, it's self explaning once you see it:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/div...AndPowers.htm#

28. - Top - End - #58

DwarfClericGuy

I believe that this belongs in the alignment section:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...44#post9914344

⌠┌___r-RcosΘ___
    ⌡└rē+Rē-2rRcosΘ┘dΘ

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Actually (after checking the list with the DVR) i'd say that DVR21+ would not be appropriate . Make it DVR20 and that's ok.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unisus View Post
    Actually (after checking the list with the DVR) i'd say that DVR21+ would not be appropriate . Make it DVR20 and that's ok.
    Really? I am pretty sure Rich doesn't grant spells to anyone... nor do I think there is really any possible way Thor, Tiamat, or even the Snarl could conceivably defeat Rich :P
    Official Incense Aroma Specialist for the Vaarsuvius Fan Club!

English isn't my primary language, so please let me know if something I'm saying doesn't make sense!
    Thank you, FujinAkari.
    Continuation of ThePhantasm's awesometacular post