New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: What Is Your Absolute Single Favorite Movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    1.) The Lars got two scenes and Ben got two scenes. Both Lars and Kenobi got about 30 seconds total. So I would argue the "Bens death got more reaction and focus" bit; they seek pretty equal.
    B.) We see Ben onscreen much longer than the Lars family. He gets emotional impact because we respond emotionally to his death. And for Luke, he lost everything he had except the guy who was the missing piece to his father, and saved him, and taught him about a new world he knew nothing about,and then he lost that guy a few hours later. It makes sense to see Luke's reaction to that, since then hes truly alone.

Leia is the only one who gets her losses glossed over, and she doesn't really act any differently in ESB. Han and Chewie we see being tortured and affected by torture, but the princess? Not so much.
    Fan theory: Leia is just much, much tougher then everyone else. (I know the real reason, but that sounds better.)

1B is probably the issue I have most with. It reminds me of Buffy, where there are three best friends since childhood and one dies in the first episode. He is mentioned like one more time and no one ever grieves him, but Willow and Xander cling to each other for the whole show and Xander goes to die with Willow at one part.

Losing your magic mentor? Tough. Losing your parents? Way, way tougher.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    1B is probably the issue I have most with. It reminds me of Buffy, where there are three best friends since childhood and one dies in the first episode. He is mentioned like one more time and no one ever grieves him, but Willow and Xander cling to each other for the whole show and Xander goes to die with Willow at one part.
    Haven't seen it, but at a guess, that's because he died in the first episode and the audience didn't connect with him like they did with Willow and Xander later on. Similar to how we see Owen and Beru for three scenes vs the whole movie for Ben. And, again, they didn't really spend any more time grieving for him. Lars homestead had a scene of Luke in shock, then a scene of depression and Ben forcing him out of it. Ben's death had a scene of Luke in shock, then a scene of depression and Han forcing him out of it.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

That depends so much on my mood.

My favorite musical is The Music Man Singin’ in the Rain.
    My favorite art movie is An American in Paris Fantasia.
    My favorite pirate movie is Hook Captain Blood.
    My favorite swashbuckler is The Three Musketeers The Three Musketeers.
    My favorite western drama is A Big Hand for the Little Lady The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.
    My favorite western comedy is Cat Ballou Support Your Local Sheriff.
    My favorite science fiction movie is 2001: A Space Odyssey Back to the Future.
    My favorite comic book movie is The Avengers Captain America: the First Avenger.
    My favorite fantasy movie is The Wizard of Oz The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.
    My favorite classic movie is Casablanca Citizen Kane.
    My favorite Depression movie is The Untouchables The Sting.
    My favorite holiday movie is It's a Wonderful Life White Christmas.
    My favorite World War 2 movie is The Great Escape Patton.
    My favorite post-World War 2 movie is Judgment At Nuremberg The Best Years of Our Lives.
    My favorite romance is Gone With the Wind Titanic.
    [The movie with my favorite romantic scene is Up Lady and the Tramp.]
    My favorite cel-animated movie is Pinocchio Beauty and the Beast.
    My favorite CGI movie is The Incredibles Toy Story 2.
    My favorite sports movie is A League of Their Own Bull Durham.
    My favorite Star Trek movie is Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan Galaxy Quest.
    My favorite trial movie is To Kill a Mockingbird Inherit the Wind.
    My favorite spy movie is True Lies RED

How are you people choosing just one?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    That would be the first movie I requested to see:
    The 7th Voyage of Sinbad which I saw at a drive-in theater (since I later learned that the movie was made in the 1950's it must have been re-released in the early 1970's). I can specially remember first watching it through the back window of a V.W. bug while my parents watched some boring Burt Reynolds movie through the front window, and marveling at the Dragon and the sword wielding skeleton!

Since for "all time favorite" I just picked the first movie I loved, for what little it’s worth the post 1980’s films that I remember liking and remember the titles of are:

56 Up, and previous films in the Up series (1964 to 2012 documentaries, a 2019 one should be due)

Gattaca (1997, science-fiction)

Saving Private Ryan (historical drama screened in 1998)

Primer (2004 science-fiction)

Atonement (historical drama screened in 2007)

Hot Fuzz (2007 comedy)

Tropic Thunder (2008 comedy)

Locke (2013 drama)

'71 (historical thriller screened in 2014)

20th Century Women (comedy-drama from 2015)

A similar list of pre ’90’s films that I liked would run into the hundreds
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Ask me again in ten minutes and my answer will change. That said, right this instant? Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels. I tend to really like Guy Ritchie's work, I tend to like british gangster movies, and this is my favorite of both of those categories.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Ask me again in ten minutes and my answer will change. That said, right this instant? Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels. I tend to really like Guy Ritchie's work, I tend to like british gangster movies, and this is my favorite of both of those categories.

I don't remember them too well, but I remember the two Guy Ritchie directed films I've seen as being fun.

Not by him but a little similar in my mind was In Bruges, which I remember liking (if not much else).

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I don't remember them too well, but I remember the two Guy Ritchie directed films I've seen as being fun.

Not by him but a little similar in my mind was In Bruges, which I remember liking (if not much else).
    Saw a trailer for In Bruges while working at a theater. I instantly knew it wouldn't do too well in Alabama and that I would love it. Months later, i was proved right on both counts.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-08-29 at 12:27 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Were I asked ten minutes later In Bruges might well have been listed as a favorite instead. I love that movie.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

I'm sure I haven't seen a movie better than Primer. That said, I haven't seen all that many movies...
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

I don't think I have a single absolute favorite, but if I use Jay R's list of categories, I can say that Gold Diggers of 1933 is my favorite Depression movie. That's largely on the basis of two production numbers -- the opening "We're in the Money", with Ginger Rogers (singing in Pig Latin!), and the closing "Remember My Forgotten Man", with Joan Blondell and Etta Moten.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Saw a trailer for In Bruges while working at a theater. One instantly it with do too well in Alabama and that I would love it. Months later, i was proved right on both counts.
    I was soooo happy with In Bruges because I am a Millennial with a passion for all the artists that came out of the British Isles (so counting Ireland) folk revival of the 70s. And I was not expecting the song for the climax in the slightest and it just works !

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    I don't think I have a single absolute favorite, but if I use Jay R's list of categories, I can say that Gold Diggers of 1933 is my favorite Depression movie. That's largely on the basis of two production numbers -- the opening "We're in the Money", with Ginger Rogers (singing in Pig Latin!), and the closing "Remember My Forgotten Man", with Joan Blondell and Etta Moten.

Great movies made during the Great Depression movies? Grapes of Wrath, Ninotchka, His Girl Friday... there's just so many!

Musicals?

Lots to choose from, but I'll go with Footlight Parade for the end song "Shanghai Lil" as performed by James Cagney, Ruby Keeler & Chorus (1933).
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wreck It Ralph.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Usually my answer to this question would be The Beast, so that's what I'm going with now.

It's not the movie I'd watch over and over on repeat if I had to pick a movie for that, that's more this thread's territory, stuff like The Avengers, The Matrix, The Transporter, Banlieue 13, Ong Bak. You know, movies where something is always happening.

It's also not a film that could be considered the best movie by any sort of objective standards. From that category my favorite is probably Pan's Labyrinth, How To Train Your Dragon scores high marks as well. But I feel like if I'm going to have a favorite movie it should be a film that sets me apart a bit, so it gives more information about what I like.

I would group The Beast with Cube and Soldier, two other favorites of mine. They provide enough buildup and slow scenes to really get in the mood when you're actually watching a movie rather than playing it in the background. They're not continuously violent, but they pick their moments to go all out and those moments have an impact. Because that's what an R-rating is for. They're also movies I saw at an age where I watched quite a few movies and figured I should really get myself some favorites, so I might be putting the on a slightly higher pedestal than they deserve.

The Beast is certainly flawed, and like one entry each of the Rambo and James Bond franchises it got a little awkward after 2001. But as a self contained story in a self contained setting I like it a lot.

Also, why is this not in Media Discussions?
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-08-31 at 04:28 AM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

15. - Top - End - #45

DruidGuy

So many quality films, see a couple I'd add to the lists, but also agree that it's soooooo hard/unfair to pick one.

THE FIFTH ELEMENT. Gary oldman is amazing, Chris rock is hilarious, Bruce Willis is Bruce Willis. great cgi for its time.

Kung Fu Hustle. Musical/slapstick/martial arts with amazing cinematography. Watch it in Cantonese with English subtitles, the jokes are funnier, it's not the same dubbed.

Gotta throw in one from the way back machine. STRIPES. Classic Murray, it's long, but it's like watching 2 different movies entirely.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

It's hard to choose between Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained. I don't think I'll ever get tired of those two films.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I can't even pin down my all-time favorite of a single genre... Much less of every film ever!

Some that I really love, in no specific order are:

Aliens 2
    Terminator 2
    Naked Gun
    The Godfather
    A Silent Voice
    Disney's Beauty & The Beast

And these are just the ones I can recall off the top of my head at this moment...
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2019-09-04 at 04:27 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Top 5 in no particular order:
    Casablanca-The acting, the writing, the directing, the casting. A nearly perfect movie.
    The Court Jester-Danny Kaye at his comedic pinnacle!
    Blazing Saddles-The single funniest movie ever made.
    Raiders of the Lost Ark-The adventure movie against which all subsequent adventure movies are judged, and found wanting.
    The Princess Bride-Possibly the most quoted movie(at least in my area) at the gaming table.(Its only rival being Holy Grail).

The one thing they all have in common for me: I can watch them at any time, in any mood, and enjoy them, even though I've seen them all at least a dozen times.

Honorable mention: Shawshank Redemption, The Sting, and Ocean's Eleven(2001).
    “Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us, come because we actually deserve them? So now I take comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the Universe”- Marcus Cole

This has become my philosophy!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Im gonna cop flak for this from purists BUT

Evil Dead
    The Remake

In my opinion, the perfect horror movie.
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

20. - Top - End - #50

The Last Starfighter. There’s something that resonates with me about playing a game until you know it and you find out the skills from learning it have applications in life whilst you become an adult and also death is at every turn now.
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

Avenger Infinity War 2018

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Railey66 View Post
    Avenger Infinity War 2018
    Better than Endgame?
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

The whole 'Star Wars was saved in the edit' thing is a myth. There's a Youtube Video with a lot of traction, but it fails to mention that the original edit of Star Wars it talks about was done by a man named John Jymson, who Lucas fired. So if it was saved, it was by Lucas, not from him. Also, there were three editors for ANH, with Lucas personally involved. Marcia Lucas gets particular credit over Paul Hirsch because it's a juicier story if his ex wife is responsible for his success, when really we have no idea which of them made any particular edit.

Lucas 'not being told no' is similarly baseless. It's a meme with no foundation except the RedLetterMedia reviews, which are not based on any particular insider info. "I don't know, I wasn't there"

On topic, The Departed

24. - Top - End - #54

Don't even need to think about it. Legend, with the Tangerine Dream score.

25. - Top - End - #55

PirateGirl

I don't generally think of movies in terms of favorites, because there are lots and lots of excellent movies of all different genres and styles out there. However, if I had to choose only one, I choose Up.
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

For me, it goes back and forth between Bladerunner, and Once Upon A Time In The West.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The Spectacular Now

28. - Top - End - #58
    Spamalot in the Playground

Absolute favorite movie... I'd have to think about it, but just going by how many times I've watched it from my vast DVD collection I'll go with Apollo 13. It's a beautiful movie that captured the era well and even though we already know how it turns out it somehow keeps you on the edge of your seat at the end. :3

Plus, who hasn't quoted "Failure is NOT an option!"
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

For me, it's probably Blues Brothers. Likely because loving it is something my whole family shares. But it's just really funny and eminently quotable, plus it has great music.
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-09-12 at 12:27 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ghostbusters.

It was a mandatory once-a-year (at least) watch for me as a child, usually around Christmas, as I suspect the first time I watched it was at Christmastime (in fact, I know it was, since our recorded VHS copy had Christmas themed adverts running in the ad breaks), and it became one of those good-Christmas associations.

When my fiance moved in with me last year I was overjoyed to learn she had never seen it as it gave me an excuse to dig the DVD out.