New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default [D&D 4E] Shield bashing?

One of my players wants to make a character who primarily attacks with a shield. I noticed that shield bash wasn't on the weapons table in the PHB, so is it possible to bash with a normal shield? I know about the spiked shield in AV, and there's a few Fighter powers that push with a shield after an attack with a weapon, but I'm curious what it takes to bash with a regular shield as your primary attack form.

EDIT: The campaign is set in Dark Sun. All pre-Essentials sources are allowed.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2011-02-09 at 09:07 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: [D&D 4E] Shield bashing?

Unless so allowed by a power (or it has a spike), a shield bash would be just an attack with an improvised weapon (the shield). I repeat: a shield is not a weapon, and so its use as such is an improvised weapon, no more effective than a chair. There are tricks for using shields offensively, but those are mostly covered by feats and powers... most of which are available to Fighters.

The player might complain about this. Let him. Then ask him how he would fight armored warriors by using a shield instead of a hammer, sword, axe, or other weapon.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Also I believe there's a 4e prestige path based entirely on using two shields.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WitchSlayer View Post
    Also I believe there's a 4e prestige path based entirely on using two shields.
    Oh, yeah... the Snapping Tetsudo. There are enough Fighter powers to make a Shield fighter viable... if you have a Spiked Shield to use with your at-wills. You'd need both Martial Powers and access to Dragons 382 and 385, though.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

That class is so annoying and silly that it almost never see the light of day though
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The Fighter? Or the Snapping Tetsudo? The latter I'll give you (though it's a Paragon Path, not a Class), but it's pretty much exactly what the OP's looking for.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

I assume you're the DM.

You could house rule the spiked shield to be a normal weapon, and then have the player take either fighter or ranger. The fighter gets abilities that incorporate a shield, while both have attacks that use 2 weapons.

Though the fighter method would probably work the best.

Also, not that there is a difference between 'using your shield to attack' and 'actually dealing damage with your shield'. Some abilities, such as Tide of Iron (I think) deal weapon damage, but can easily be flavored to be a simple shield bash.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NMBLNG View Post
    I assume you're the DM.
    I am.

Quote Originally Posted by NMBLNG View Post
    You could house rule the spiked shield to be a normal weapon
    It already is a weapon. My question was about using a normal shield as a weapon. Looks like Mando Knight's improvised weapon suggestion is the most accurate.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

One good way to do it if you do not like the various shield weapons is to go arena fighter. Arena fighters have an ability (among others) to treat all improvised weapons as +2 prof d8 damage weapons. Add an assassin or monk multiclass for a ki focus (to enhance your weapons) and you have a fair build. Inherent bonuses work as well.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As Mando also suggested, if he is ok with being a fighter there are fighter powers that lets him use his shield offesively

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Warforged: We can draw the guards away from the treasury if we set that orphanage two blocks down on fire.

Paladin: wtf, NO! Why would you say something like that?

Warforged: Fine, fine. I'll go burn down the church instead. I bet the screams of the monks will carry farther than the children's anyway, judging on their singing capacity.

Paladin: I've got a better idea. You shut up and we'll send the rogue around back >.<

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Wait, are people hating on the Snapping Testudo? Inconceivable! Seriously though, I love that Paragon Path so much.

Also in dragon 385 are a number of magic items that are shields that count as weapons, including one as low as level 1.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MeeposFire View Post
    One good way to do it if you do not like the various shield weapons is to go arena fighter. Arena fighters have an ability (among others) to treat all improvised weapons as +2 prof d8 damage weapons.
    This is true... and it is a Dark Sun campaign. Monk multiclass for the ki focus could also make sense... if he wants to smash his shield into a second opponent after he slaps the first.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    This is true... and it is a Dark Sun campaign. Monk multiclass for the ki focus could also make sense... if he wants to smash his shield into a second opponent after he slaps the first.
    You will be a defensive force. Just be sure to grab shield push.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I'm with Reverent One, I actually PLAY a Snapping Tetsudo!
    "A little technobabble is good for the soul." -Captain Jack Harkness

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    Look at your Dark Sun Campaign Setting, pg. 86. The Arena Fighter's Arena Training gives you a +2 proficiency bonus with all improvised weapon (which a shield would be), and gives them 1d8 damage. Now use the shield with any power (including ones that let you do a secondary shield bash after your normal attack ). There you go.
    You have been ninjad! Or swordsaged. Wait what do we use for 4e?

I agree though great choice. Pick a defensive weapon for your other hand as an arena weapon for more AC.
    Last edited by MeeposFire; 2011-02-09 at 11:45 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Haha, yeah, I noticed just now and ninja'd you in deleting my original post!
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    Haha, yeah, I noticed just now and ninja'd you in deleting my original post!
    ooo sneaky.

So Avengered? hmm which class to choose.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

ooo sneaky.

So Avengered? hmm which class to choose.
    The monk makes a pretty good ninja in 4e.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

for hilarity's sake, call it Monked

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

You have been monked? hmm not too bad we shall see.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

You've been Hexbladed!
    "A little technobabble is good for the soul." -Captain Jack Harkness

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

Snapping Tetsudo

Throwing shield

YOU... YOU... DOUBLE CAPTAIN AMERICA.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

farbound spell blade spiked shield works too.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

Since it's Dark Sun, have him pick up Weapon Proficency (Turtle Shell) at first opportunity and make his At-Wills Shield Feint and Tide of Iron. Then Snapping Testudo at Paragon.

Also, the only reason people pick on Snapping Testudo is because it is equal parts ridiculous and surprisingly optimal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Heroes of Horror is only 1.8 pounds. By comparison, the DMG is a hefty 2.6 pounds, making it by far the more powerful book.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Box Socks View Post
    Since it's Dark Sun, have him pick up Weapon Proficency (Turtle Shell) at first opportunity and make his At-Wills Shield Feint and Tide of Iron. Then Snapping Testudo at Paragon.

Also, the only reason people pick on Snapping Testudo is because it is equal parts ridiculous and surprisingly optimal.
    The places I look often say it is alright power wise (definitely not great)though I have seen much worse. People pick on it because it is ridiculous and it is unusable by RAW and so technically you have to house rule in order to use the class as it does not make an exception anywhere in the paragon path that offsets the rule that you cannot wield two shields.

My favorite combo is arena fighter with gauntlet axe as an arena weapon and turtle shell/spiked shield (they are the same exact thing) with the rhythm blade enhancement. Do not take proficiency with the spiked shield in this case. Since your an arena fighter your damage actually improves with the spiked shield from a d6-d8. You actually wield it better being not proficient with this weapon.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

The places I look often say it is alright power wise (definitely not great)though I have seen much worse. People pick on it because it is ridiculous and it is unusable by RAW and so technically you have to house rule in order to use the class as it does not make an exception anywhere in the paragon path that offsets the rule that you cannot wield two shields.
    Wait, where is that rule?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Do not take proficiency with the spiked shield in this case. Since your an arena fighter your damage actually improves with the spiked shield from a d6-d8. You actually wield it better being not proficient with this weapon.
    It's not an improvised weapon if it's a Spiked Shield (and you shouldn't get the enchantment bonus if you do treat it as such, in my opinion). That's just munchkinery of the sort that is defeated by a DM looking at you funny and saying "no."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    It's not an improvised weapon if it's a Spiked Shield (and you shouldn't get the enchantment bonus if you do treat it as such, in my opinion). That's just munchkinery of the sort that is defeated by a DM looking at you funny and saying "no."
    You missed the arena fighter part or you do not know the abilities of the arena fighter.

Arena fighters get many benefits but for this discussion this is what is important

1) Arena fighters treat all weapons they are NOT proficient with as improvised weapons.

2) Spiked shield is an exotic weapon so if you do not spend a feat (or an arena weapon slot) it is an improvised weapon for an arena fighter.

3) Arena fighters treat all improvised weapons as +2 proficiency 1d8 damage weapons.

4) Since my spiked shield is an improvised weapon it nows has those stats and is better for it.

This is not a munchkin move it is by the book and intended.

To Reverent-One

The rule for no two shields is found on page 10 of the Adventurer's vault in the description of spiked shields

"Although a character can not use two shields at the same time, a character wielding a spiked shield enchanted as a weapon can employ arm slot items such as bracers"

I think what they mean to say is that you get no benefit from wearing a second shield and that a shield enchanted as a weapon still allows you to use magical arm slot items. Unfortunately that is not what it actually says and since there is no mention of an exception for the paragon path so it is technically RAW illegal. Of course any DM that is not a robot would allow this work so it is not a practical concern just a strict RAW curiosity.
    Last edited by MeeposFire; 2011-02-10 at 10:06 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

To Reverent-One

The rule for no two shields is found on page 10 of the Adventurer's vault in the description of spiked shields

"Although a character can not use two shields at the same time, a character wielding a spiked shield enchanted as a weapon can employ arm slot items such as bracers"

I think what they mean to say is that you get no benefit from wearing a second shield and that a shield enchanted as a weapon still allows you to use magical arm slot items. Unfortunately that is not what it actually says and since there is no mention of an exception for the paragon path so it is technically RAW illegal. Of course any DM that is not a robot would allow this work so it is not a practical concern just a strict RAW curiosity.
    Eh, they say "use", not "wield", if we're going to be picky about it, then those aren't the same thing.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    Eh, they say "use", not "wield", if we're going to be picky about it, then those aren't the same thing.
    So can you wield something without using it?