New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Masters of the Sword: A Warblade's Handbook [Under Construction]

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    They don't, if the gnoll example in UA is any indication, hence why I list 10th and 12th for the buyoff points (2 RHD + 2 LA + 6 CL = 10; 2 RHD + 1 LA + 9 CL = 12). In the case of the non-psionic version, it'd be ECL 6.
    Ah I see; ok then.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hirax View Post
    Sorry to necro, but I would like to see Synad (CPsi) mentioned in the races section, with a note that they're one of the few ways to get more swift actions, something that you can never have too much of. Only 1/day, or 2/day if you take their racial feat (also in CPsi), but still useful.
    Doesn't work, the action granted has to be used for a purely mental action. Initiating a maneuver isn't a purely mental action.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yeah, Thri-Kreen Warblade has some amazing synergies. I can't decide whether it's better off wielding four Kukris with Multiweapon Fighting, or two Falchions with Oversized TWF. Either way ... ouch.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Yeah, Thri-Kreen Warblade has some amazing synergies. I can't decide whether it's better off wielding four Kukris with Multiweapon Fighting, or two Falchions with Oversized TWF. Either way ... ouch.
    I'm not sure OTWF would work with two-handers, but two weapons are cheaper than four.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Doesn't work, the action granted has to be used for a purely mental action. Initiating a maneuver isn't a purely mental action.
    Right, I didn't mean to imply you could use it for dual maneuvers. You could use it to activate a belt of battle, or any other useful magic item, though, which is far from inconsiderable. That would give you 2 full round actions and your original swift/immediate action with which to do whatever you like in a single turn. Use your original swift action to activate a maneuver that lasts until the end of your turn, charge enemy 1 with your first full round action, then charge enemy 2 with your second full round action, and both charges will get the benefit of maneuver you activated that lasts until the end of your turn. Alternatively, save your original swift/immediate action for a counter. Or use moment of alacrity. That's just a couple possibilities. Swift actions are precious, even outside using maneuvers.
    Last edited by Hirax; 2011-05-20 at 07:16 PM.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't immediate actions take up next turn's swift, so it doesn't matter if your last turn had it extra?

7. - Top - End - #607

That is how immediate actions work. Trading your immediate action for another full round action before your enemy's turn may or may not be useful in every situation. The point is it's worth a mention.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Titan in the Playground

That is how immediate actions work. Trading your immediate action for another full round action before your enemy's turn may or may not be useful in every situation. The point is it's worth a mention.
    If you use up your swift action(s) before the enemy's turn, so what. That doesn't prevent you from using immediate actions, which is what Lateral was saying.

His point was that you can't "save up" your swift actions.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2011-05-21 at 05:38 AM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."

9. - Top - End - #609
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    I'm not sure a Thri-Kreen or any other 4-limbed creature actually needs Oversized TWF to use two-handers in multiweapon fighting, given at least one writeup of thri-kreen have their own rules for using a pair of gythka, which are double weapons and all and I think probably preferable to using sets of kukri, anyways.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ogre in the Playground

One great benefit of Goliath is missing from the guide: the ability to make standing Jumps as if they were running Jumps. It's Leaping Dragon Stance (minus the +10 feet) without taking up your few stances known or occupying your current stance slot. Makes Sudden Leap and general Tiger Claw usage all the tastier and usable earlier. I'd say this, their stats and the bonuses from Powerful Build merit an Orange listing.

You might also mention the Diopsid from the Dragon Compendium in the LA +1 category. They don't have much amazing synergy with Warblade in particular (-2 Dex, +2 Con and -2 Int adjustments probably hurt more than they help), but are a solid melee race with a couple properties that a melee character would find interesting, due to their weak extra limbs:
    • Ability to wield weapons one size category larger - not Powerful Build, but Large weapons are nice.
    • Ability to take any 'two-weapon' feats without the Dex prerequisite.
    • Ability to dual-wield weapons while counting as wielding each of them in two hands. You take the full penalties for TWFing with non-light weapons, so despite the flavor text this style is only workable with Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting and one-handed weapons (which are conveniently Large-sized and thus mostly equivalent to Medium two-handers).
    • +4 Natural armor, slow-falling wings, and other little stuff. They can't use shields, medium or heavy armor or wield weapons individually with its weaker arms (like a Thri-Kreen could) without incurring massive penalties.

Their unique combat style is useful to consider for any melee class, but for Warblades Diopsids are probably just plain blue as a race. ToB classes in particular are already capable of taking care of TWF's disadvantages without this race's help.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2011-05-24 at 05:48 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    One great benefit of Goliath is missing from the guide
    Not for the lack of trying…

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    I want to see both!

Word up for a race: goliaths' Powerful Build tends to overshadow the rest of their racial features, but for warblades also the ability to perform standing jumps without doubling the DC is handy.
    It should also be mentioned that they do not double the DC for standing jumps, which synergizes nicely with Tiger Claw.

Anyhow, I'm not sure this version is getting any updates in the foreseeable future. Someone did a new version, I seem to recall.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #612
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, Harnel reposted it because Elfin hasn't posted since about January and this way the community can add stuff. It's not finished, after all.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193992

13. - Top - End - #613

AssassinGuy

It may sound like a demanding request, but it'd be really cool if somebody could suggest a good build that combines dungeon crasher fighter with warblade.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
    It may sound like a demanding request, but it'd be really cool if somebody could suggest a good build that combines dungeon crasher fighter with warblade.
    1. Be a multiclass dungeoncrasher fighter/warblade.
    2. Get Charging Minotaur.
    3. Get an adamantine portable ram and use it as an improvised weapon.
    4. ???
    5. Profit!
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-06-04 at 06:52 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

15. - Top - End - #615

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    1. Be a multiclass dungeoncrasher fighter/warblade.
    2. Get Charging Minotaur.
    3. Get an adamantine portable ram and use it as an improvised weapon.
    4. ???
    5. Profit!
    Isn't charging minotaur:
    1. A manouvre that doesn't scale that well
    2. Made redundant if you take improved bull rush
    ??

And why a portable ram? Why not a warhammer or something?
    Last edited by Kaeso; 2011-06-04 at 07:01 PM.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't charging minotaur:
    1. A manouvre that doesn't scale that well
    2. Made redundant if you take improved bull rush
    ??
    1. Yes, if you're not focusing on bull rush. But why are you a dungeoncrasher if you're not focusing on bull rush?

2. No.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #617

Be a goliath dragonborn for +4 con, +4 str, and -4 dex

Fighter2/barbarian1*/warblade17
    *pounce+whirling frenzy variants
    Feats:
    1: power attack
    F1 imp bull rush
    F2: dungeoncrasher
    3: extra rage
    6: shock trooper
    9: knockback or leap attack

Also ask your DM if you can expand the warblade's crappy and tiny bonus feat list to instead be any fighter bonus feat, which would allow you to take knockback with your 5th warblade level, then leap attack with your level 9 feat.

edit: rampaging bullrush is another feat possibility, you can knock foes prone when you power attack them while in a rage.
    Last edited by Hirax; 2011-06-04 at 07:12 PM.

18. - Top - End - #618

AssassinGuy

1. Yes, if you're not focusing on bull rush. But why are you a dungeoncrasher if you're not focusing on bull rush?

2. No.
    How is improved bull rush not made redundant by minotaurs charge? They both allow you to push an opponent back without provoking an AoO, but the minotaurs charge does 2d6 damage to boot.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Titan in the Playground

Dragonborn would lose the Powerful Build, I'm afraid.

[Edit]:
    How is improved bull rush not made redundant by minotaurs charge? They both allow you to push an opponent back without provoking an AoO, but the minotaurs charge does 2d6 damage to boot.
    Well, Imp. Bull Rush removes the AoO from the defender. Charging Minotaur denies the AoO from anyone.

[Edit]: Also, Charging Minotaur allows you to push the enemy back for more than 5' without following.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2011-06-04 at 07:17 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #620

Improved bull rush is a pre req for many melee feats that are worth consideration for a dungeon crasher, such as shock trooper, knockback (which grants huge bonuses to bull rush checks), rampaging bull rush, and others that the build I just posted didn't mention.

Dragonborn would lose the Powerful Build, I'm afraid.
    They explicitly keep it.
    Last edited by Hirax; 2011-06-04 at 07:15 PM.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Titan in the Playground

They explicitly keep it.
    Ah, that's alright then.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #622
    Titan in the Playground

And why a portable ram? Why not a warhammer or something?
    It's for this little thing called fluff.
    My Steam profile

23. - Top - End - #623
    Ogre in the Playground

Better synergy is with a Goliath character, which is the poster-child for Dungeon Crasher builds. Get all the usuals: Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Knockback and Shock Trooper. The Warblade interaction comes from the Goliath's racial ability to make standing jumps as if they were running, for Tiger Claw maneuvers. While there is also just a stance for that, this does free up the stance slot for Leading the Charge (+IL to dmg on charge), Blood in the Water (+1 att/dmg for every crit), and Tactics of the Wolf (+IL to dmg when flanking) among others.

It also means you can leap over your opponent easily with one of five Tiger Claw maneuvers that attack from above (why are there FIVE of the same damn move?!), and use Knockback to smash them into the ground for Dungeon Crasher damage. You can also gain Swift Action movement through Sudden Leap, which moves you the amount determined by a Jump check. A Barbarian dip is good to have for Pounce, Whirling Blade and such.

Really the standard Dungeon Crasher feat selection functions on its own perfectly fine. Warblade just expands your options and makes you more versatile efficiently.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2011-06-04 at 07:35 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Warblade5/fighter6/bloodstorm blade4/deepstone sentinel5

Warblade for prerequisites.

Fighter for dungeoncrasher

Bloodstorm blade for ranged charges and bullrushes

deepstone sentinel for charging adjacent targets and creating your own walls so you can dungeon crash in a flat field no problem and some battlefield control.

You could easily replace 4 levels of warblade for other classes if you don't want more maneuvers.

Flavorful and synergetic.

Required feats-power attack and pointblank shot

Required stances-one Iron heart and one stone dragon

Strikes-one iron heart 2 stone dragon

Skills- balance 8 and then balance 13

So no difficult requirements.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Banned

I really like that build, Meepos.

26. - Top - End - #626

AssassinGuy

Me too, it looks like fun to try it once. Ranged bullrushes sound pretty amusing.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Titan in the Playground

Make it warblade 1/fighter 6/warblade 4/bloodstorm blade 4/deepstone sentinel 5. That way you still get the warblade's skill ranks x4, but you get an extra three IL.
    My Steam profile

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the Bloodstorm Blade idea with the ranged charges and bull-rushes, but I have a lot of doubts on the Deepstone Sentinel's contributions to a Dungeon Crasher build. First you have to be a Dwarf, meaning that Goliaths - and Knockback as well - are out of the mix, and they are a powerful part of Dungeon Crashing. You could be a Goliath and take 3 levels of Stoneblessed (RoS) to count as a Dwarf, but you'd be ECL 10 before you would even start your progress as a martial adept.

The Stone Dragon stance that Deepstone Sentinel gives you has tight restrictions on your mobility, requires standard actions of setup to give yourself solid object to smash people into, and eats more swift actions than you might like: you have to enter a Stone Dragon Stance (which ends if you move more than 5ft) to enter the DS's Mountain Fortress Stance (which also ends if you move more than 5ft). I seriously doubt the usefulness of an adjacent-charge that takes two swift actions to set up (each time, because it ends your stance) and requires you to stay still for the set-up. Why not buy Anklets of Translocation for Swift 10ft teleports to charge people you start your turn beside?

I'd sooner just smash them into the ground by leaping over them to attack with Tiger Claw strikes, but if that doesn't fly with your DM then I do admit the pillar for a standard action is hard to replicate, if limited in usefulness. It's too far from a sure thing though, and your foes are just going to stay away from them after they see you do any Dungeon Crashing. It's definitely not worth giving up Goliath and Knockback for, and absolutely not worth 7 levels between Stoneblessed and Deepstone Sentinel if you do try to be a Dwarven Goliath.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2011-06-05 at 11:38 AM.

29. - Top - End - #629

FWIW here's another bloodstorm blade centered build I made. Fitting dungeon crasher into it would be easy.

Edit: oops, fixed link, thanks for the heads up.
    Last edited by Hirax; 2011-06-05 at 01:06 PM.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Titan in the Playground

FWIW here's another bloodstorm blade centered build I made. Fitting dungeon crasher into it would be easy.
    Wrong link.
    My Steam profile