New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 52 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Final Fantasy d6 (Complete System)

Quote Originally Posted by steelsmiter View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly, except I'm a bit extreme where it comes to the Geomancer and Freelancer.
    How extreme?

2. - Top - End - #662
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

So, rereading the rules on a slow action, what can you actually do the turn it resolves? It says you could start another slow action, does that mean you still have your turns instant and standard actions?

3. - Top - End - #663
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wiimanclassic View Post
    So, rereading the rules on a slow action, what can you actually do the turn it resolves? It says you could start another slow action, does that mean you still have your turns instant and standard actions?
    Yeah, the Slow action resolves at the start of your turn, but doesn't actually use any of your next turn. So you get all your usual turn's worth of actions.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

So if someone had 3 standard actions they could cast 1 spell on the 1st turn and set another to go off the next turn leading to 2 spells the next turn, 1 from the 2 standard,1 from last turn, then do the same thing again and again?

3 standard actions means 2 spells a turn with a 1 turn start up.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I took a look at the various stat reducing moves such as entertainer dances and break arts, and I noticed how hard it is to apply them to monsters.

Right now, I am going through the old bestiary and adding Stats to attacks.
    How I am doing it is dividing by the largest stat, and if it divides evenly, I use that (even if it doesn't make sense). Then I go by the next logical stat.
    If none matches, I mark it as ?*?

I am almost done, so I'll rapidshare it for review soon.

Note: I did not change any damage, though, once it is reviewed, damage may change where people agree upon (like a gun should do DEX damage where STR is marked). Yeah, together we can fix those.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Thumbs up Well. Here is my Personal Update to the Old Beastiary.

Well. Here is my Personal Update to the Old Beastiary.

https://rapidshare.com/files/2246626...tiary_v1.1.pdf

Changes:
    • Every single time a monster does any sort of damage (with the exception of a Bomb Core atttack), a stat calculation is show, like so: (STR*1=2).
    • If there was no way using stats to get the damage that I could see, it is shown as (?*?=)
    • A Few moves that were marked as (Disarmable) were adjusted to have the * mark that marks other 'disarm-able' moves.

[There are less then a dozen ?*?= and plenty of [WTF, STR for a Gun?] situations.
    If a topic is made for Bestiary Development, I could work with people to Fix such things without polluting this topic.

Last edited by DruidJP585; 2011-11-27 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Spelling Mistake

7. - Top - End - #667
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wow, that is a crazy amount of work, and I applaud you for it. I've always felt the bestiary is by far the shabbiest part of the book, since, being the last section, I was always spent and sick of number-crunching when I got to it. I applaud you, sir, and will redouble my efforts to get answers to all your other questions.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Pixie in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Ok, I'm reading the gambler class, and I must say that it is quite underpowered. Well, it's abilities are ok, but in the long run the probabilities will play against the player and the character will most likely end dead (best of cases.) Things like Wildfire are so hard to pull but extremely attractive to the innocent bystander that it will surely end in a frustrated player.

Just my humble opinion, btw.

9. - Top - End - #669

Gambler definitely still needs some tweaks before the final book release. So many of its features are must-take (any synergies with other Job abilities so well) and so many are lackluster, and, as you mentioned, the odds are generally tipped away from Gambler more than they need to be.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DruidJP585 View Post
    How extreme?
    they're not allowed in my games under any circumstances as either characters or opponents.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Barbarian in the Playground

Glad to see this project is still being worked on so well.

I grabbed the .pdf a while back and hadn't really gotten around to looking through it 'til recently (made sure to get the up-to-date .pdf) and I have to say I am absolutely loving this system, so much so that I started writing up a setting and a campaign outline right away. Might just be me, but something just doesn't sit well with me using just about any of the game's settings since they've been explored and romped through so thoroughly by their protagonists. (Well, Ivalice could still be used with little problem I suppose.)

I do have a few questions, though.

- I was thumbing through this thread and noticed you're planning on making some pretty major changes to how jobs work and it sounds a lot like FFT/FFV which is where I think the job system truly shined so I'm definitely looking forward to that, any idea when the .pdf will be updated with these changes?

- About the M-Tek armors, how exactly does ACC work for their weapons? Is it just the character's weapon systems skill or is it that you use your weapon systems skill + your job's base instead of your associated attribute rating?
    I ask because the setting I'm writing up uses a lot of similar mecha and figure knowing how to go about that might be important. :3

Again, love everything you've done with this so far and definitely looking forward to that next update.
    Great thanks to Dirtytabs for that ponytar.

Spoiler
    Show

Still thankful to Yldenfrei for this one.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I say keep the old style, maybe a few updates to balance it out a bit, and just keep it for people who prefer the old style/don't like the new one. No reason to just get rid of it, keep it unsupported except by the community maybe, but just keep it around.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wiimanclassic View Post
    I say keep the old style, maybe a few updates to balance it out a bit, and just keep it for people who prefer the old style/don't like the new one. No reason to just get rid of it, keep it unsupported except by the community maybe, but just keep it around.
    YES! That says it all right there! I'm not done with the old system and don't plan on converting anytime soon since I've only just got a decent game going on rpol.net.

14. - Top - End - #674

Since I am currently in negotiations for a game using the presently provided system I also have a vested interest in keeping it available and up-to-date.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

I'm looking forward to seeing the Gambler revised.

Currently, "Slots" is very weak for an innate ability (although I like it's being changed from a standard to an instant action), producing a negative effect ~55% of the time... Even using a precious use of Stacked Deck only reduces it to a ~37% chance of screwing your party over. Odds are your party won't like it when you use Slots. I can understand wanting to keep an iconic ability, but I'm having trouble seeing how to make it work well.

Stacked Deck, Save the Day, Long Shot, Valor, and Double Up look like fun abilities. Though it's a shame that a Gambler has to wait until level 5/8 to use the "Save the Day + Jinx" combo. =P

Sad to see Last Word go from Once/Combat (in the old version) to Once/Session. Makes it seem like a weak choice.

I feel that Wildfire could use some tweaking though. A ~16.7% chance of "mega-critting" a team-mate, ~41.7% of "critting" a random enemy or ally... Assuming that they party has the same number of people as the enemy group, that's a ~1/3 chance of hitting a party member for a LOT of damage. Like Slots, Wildfire requires a precious use of Stacked Deck in order to be usable...

If Long Shot's (or Valor's) bonus applied to Wildfire, they would make an interesting combo which could help bring the Gambler up to par. But based on the way Long Shot (or Valor) is worded, it doesn't seem to apply.

As always, Cheat Fate is goofy and fun, and is probably the only way a Gambler is ever going to see a Jackpot on Slots.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    Since I am currently in negotiations for a game using the presently provided system I also have a vested interest in keeping it available and up-to-date.
    Likewise. There are three games going on sup/tg that revolve around the old system.

I have been thinking about how to scale geomancer using the old system like we talked about, but I have only come up with this for geotrance:
    (Stat * Weapon/Armor Tier) + 2d6. Where Stat is the weapon stat if you are using a weapon as a focus, or the VIT stat if you are using armor as a focus.
    ...still leaves a geomancer out of luck if both are destroyed or removed.

I, for fun, am going through all the old status effects :p.

Mini. I think it should give the user +4 or +6 to their EVA and stealth skills to match their reduced size.

I remember the imp status from FF6. In this system, it would be:
    Your special abilities are sealed. You cannot use Abilities or Magic of any type, but can still use skills and take other actions.
    Your weapon damage is reduced to X1.
    Um...Your MARM and ARM are reduced by 50% (only way I could do it without a base def stat)
    Your type becomes Aquan
    ....Then there would be Imp Gear.

Spoiler
    Show
    Imp Gear
    Legendary (Special, there exist multiple copies of each item in the world. But they are so rare and unusuable by most, they fall into the category of legends.)

Tier 8 Light Armor: Imp Armor
    Indestructible, Special
    Special: This metallic shell armor has an ARM score of 1 and a MARM of 150 unless worn by someone inflicted with Imp. When worn by someone with Imp, it has 150 ARM and 150 MARM. While worn by someone Imped, it causes them to absorb water damage and gives them access to the imp spell.

Tier 8 Accessory: Titanium.
    Special: This saucer of a headgear, While worn by someone Imped, it causes them to absorb water damage and gives them access to the imp spell.

Tier 8 Weapon: Impartisan.
    Indestructible, Special
    Special: This reach weapon can be used by anyone, even if they normally cannot use Reach weapons. Unless worn by someone who is Imped, this weapon deals only X1 damage. While worn by someone Imped, it causes them to absorb water damage and gives them access to the imp spell.

Tier 8 Shield: Tortoise Shield.
    Indestructible, Special
    Special: This shield can be used by anyone, even if they can't use shields. Unless worn by someone who is Imped, this Tortoise Shell Shield provides only 1 ARM and 50 MARM. While worn by someone Imped, it causes them to absorb water damage and gives them access to the imp spell. It also provides 50 ARM and 50 MARM.

Set Bonus: If all 4 of these items are worn at once while imped.
    Impartisan gains Break Damage Limit, Triple Critical, Follow through, Precision.
    You gain 50 ARM and 50 MARM.
    Unless an attack has Piercing or is a critical hit, you only take 1 damage.
    You can breathe underwater.
    Your STR is treated as if it was 30.
    You ignore the effects of Curse.

Just kidding :P While Imp would be fun, the epic gear would be too game breaking, even it limited you to only basic attack and cast Imp.

Last edited by DruidJP585; 2011-12-03 at 02:41 AM.

17. - Top - End - #677

Oh, but you were so close to making imp a playable class!

I remember Mini / Small. I also remember a lot of the beasts from Final Fantasy IV and V. Hm...

It may not matter, but do you all know what I would like? I would like it if those with complaints about the old system would go out and make their own blasted documents. Dust is a real person, busy, and has her own ideas about how her system should work. Every moment spent lengthening the thread with needless natter about, "I think it should work this way," is one moment longer that we all have to wait for an update.

Seriously...make your own home-brew.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

So Story Time, if feedback an evil thing?

19. - Top - End - #679

Oh, let's not start that again.

I appreciate that someone is thinking about my and the time-sink this project has become - really, I do, far more than you know. But this thread isn't just 'Here, I made a thing, enjoy it if you want.' I'd like the years of effort I've sunk into this to result in a final project that's as good as it can be - and frankly, I feel like I'm getting closer and closer. I read and listen to every bit of feedback, look over every chunk of homebrew, wade through emails and PMs on this board, and observe no less than a dozen games being played every day. And the main reason I do these things is because I WANT the critiques, whether blunt of sugarcoated, generic distaste for something or a potential solution.

I feel the old version is playable with houserules, though I myself am not really a huge fan (making a character just isn't FUN, if you ask me). I also feel that the updates will only improve the game. But knowing that tons of people object to the idea of...let's say, an 8-level system, no matter how elegant and fluid it might work mechanically.....certainly means that I should go back and re-examine things there. And hopefully, with any luck I'll get it out before Christmas.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    Oh, but you were so close to making imp a playable class!

It may not matter, but do you all know what I would like? I would like it if those with complaints about the old system would go out and make their own blasted documents. Dust is a real person, busy, and has her own ideas about how her system should work. Every moment spent lengthening the thread with needless natter about, "I think it should work this way," is one moment longer that we all have to wait for an update.
    We are making our homebrew...to some degree.

We are also trying out not having the survival limit on the geomancer and balancing it out in one game. In this game we have a Hypello Geomancer call Ride D'Shoopuff whose quote is "No you can't ride d'shoopuf"

In another game both our dragoons got 200% damage on their jump attacks because the of a houserule. We also houseruled that unfluffed magic fizzles.
    We also have houseruled characters, a Selkie Entertainer (got thievery as a bonus feature), a Mithra Dark Knight (reskinned veria), a Mandragora Paladin riding a baby Malrboro (got photosynthesis as a bonus feature), a Tonberry Dragoon (got concealed weapons as a bonus feature), and a Vivi style living doll White mage (reskinned android), ...and a hume dragoon. All this in a low 'monster' world (not many dragons, undead, etc) in a kingdom once ruled by Moogles. Once mini comes into play in this game, a house rule will be instated for it.

A Third game is in the works where everyone starts at level 1 and gains a level 4 or below esper to start with, each with their own gm decided stats.

Yeah, we are homebrewing and houseruling, but it takes time to find what is perfect and what is broken. We just started our games.
    Last edited by DruidJP585; 2011-12-03 at 02:26 AM.

21. - Top - End - #681

a Mandragora Paladin riding a baby Malrboro
    Confirmed for greatest thing ever.

22. - Top - End - #682

[...]a Mandragora Paladin riding a baby Malrboro (got photosynthesis as a bonus feature)[...]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Confirmed for greatest thing ever.
    It is certainly an...interesting image.

Bias-Heavy Explanation Not Meant To Counter Dust's Direction:
    Spoiler
    Show
    To be clear, I dislike and often despise persons who simply pop up and say, "That's broken," or, "That's wrong," without offering any more beyond their empty words. My view has come to be that if an individual is not willing to invest their personal time into constructing some aid in order to make a system better then that individual's critique is worthless. In addition I also feel, rather personally, that a formatted document with clear and concise visual information will be far more effective in presenting one's point than simply saying, "It's wrong! Fix it!"

But Dust has made herself clear that she desires to investigate all conjecture, whether useless or fruitful, and doing so is her prerogative. There is nothing wrong with this choice. It is a good thing.

Nothing of my third and fourth paragraph in my previous post addressed Druid, incidentally. Druid went to the trouble of providing a document.

I would make a general query of Dust for permission to expand the beastiary, particularly that of Final Fantasy V's low level creatures, but I am already forming three personal home-brew documents for a completely different system. Doing more is beyond my scope at the moment. That is my feed-back.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    ...let's say, an 8-level system, no matter how elegant and fluid it might work mechanically...
    Maybe it's something you have to see to understand?
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2011-12-06 at 07:09 AM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

24. - Top - End - #684

Eh. I figure I'm going to try a 15-level system instead, throw the numbers randomly in there and see if the result ends up being workable. Levelling up only 7 times - as much as it might be fantastic mathematically and so on - is simply less fun. I'm starting to agree with the naysayers, at least a little bit.

And for the people who say that sounds like a shallow way to build anything...at this point in time, all I have left to do is math.
    Last edited by Dust; 2011-12-06 at 12:37 PM.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

@StoryTime
    I am all prepared to help analyze the bestiary that exists and fix the stats that don't make sense, if we have a place to do so. I am also prepared to help make a combined bestiary of all the games and their translation into 'FFD6-Disc 1' forms.

@Dust
    Nice. 15 levels sounds a whole lot better.
    Also, may I have permission to create development wiki called FFDSix.Wikia.com? If not, would you rather create the wikia? I want to transfer the Old Book onto it so constructive discussion can be done for specific classes and features as well as the bestiary (as well as new monster development). I can also transfer new stuff onto it as well.

26. - Top - End - #686

...the only thing that I can add to that, Druid, is that I took a smidgeon of free time and tried to apply statistics to one of the canon Final Fantasy characters. The explanation is that I started playing Final Fantasy VI again and asked myself, "What if?" I ended up with an incomplete level thirty end boss named Terra Branford...controlled by a slave crown item. ...and that is the extent of my delving into the beastiary.

As I've said, anything significant beyond the other home-brew that I am involved in is beyond my scope. It's a nice idea at the moment, but too big of a project at this point. Vaporite and Rhodox from the same game stand out to me right now. Perhaps it would be better to attempt a beastiary with all of the level one to five monsters from Final Fantasies IV, V, and VI?

27. - Top - End - #687
    Titan in the Playground

I got curious as to how the Blitzball rules would work out, so I made a thread in PbP to recruit for an exhibition match of sorts, just to try them out.

Go on, you know you want to.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Ogre in the Playground

Any chance of someone actually running the FFd6 game?
    English isn't my native. Sorry for all misunderstandings.
    Warning: This user is a powerplayer and a TYPE-Lunatic

Familiar summons YOU avatar by happyturtle

29. - Top - End - #689

...maybe I should apologize. I remember mentioning running Final Fantasy D6 in the general thread here. At one point a fellow member of the forum and I started talking about games and Final Fantasy came up. In the context it came up as a solo game, however, and I am currently waiting for that player's present work-load to settle down before the campaign can begin.

...it may turn into a beta-test of the campaign setting since a bunch of it is home-brew and takes elements liberally from the buffet which is Final Fantasy Plot Device.

So...as unhelpful as this response might be, "Yes, I do plan to run it, and soon, just not quite as openly as I originally planned. I am sorry if that does not meet general expectations."

30. - Top - End - #690

@StoryTime
    I am all prepared to help analyze the bestiary that exists and fix the stats that don't make sense, if we have a place to do so. I am also prepared to help make a combined bestiary of all the games and their translation into 'FFD6-Disc 1' forms.

@Dust
    Nice. 15 levels sounds a whole lot better.
    Also, may I have permission to create development wiki called FFDSix.Wikia.com? If not, would you rather create the wikia? I want to transfer the Old Book onto it so constructive discussion can be done for specific classes and features as well as the bestiary (as well as new monster development). I can also transfer new stuff onto it as well.
    You have my complete permission to do whatever you like with the free rules that I've made. I'm not looking to hold sole ownership over anything at all, nor am I looking to have my name really attached to the final product if it doesn't end up that way.

The update is still coming. Hours upon hours of playtesting, math, and more math.