New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 91 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

A 036 (partial)

The only thing that comes to mind is the slot thing. A Warforged, for example, wouldn't be able to wear a chainshirt.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 035 Follow-Up

Yes, that's correct. Having removed the 3.0 Ambidexterity feat and incorporated that benefit into Two-Weapon Fighting, every D&D character is effectively ambidexterous.

A 036 Follow-Up

There could be any number of reasons, including style. A mechanical reason in addition to weight would be a DEX bonus of more than +6: the chain shirt would limit that but Bracers of Armor or a similar armor-enhanced robe would not. This isn't really a "simple" question any more.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q38
    The spellcasting rules explains that a spellcaster can lower his effective caster level if he wishes so, but not below the minimum caster level needed to cast the spell for his class.

Does this mean that you can't cast a spell of a given level if your effective caster level is below the minimum needed (through some effect that reduce caster level, like, for example, the Alternative Source Spell metamagic feat, or Uncanny Forethought)?

And you can't cast any spell if your effective caster level is lowered to zero?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

A 37
    Inner Beauty (Bard 4, Fiendish Codex I) has an accompanying picture that matches, but doesn't force an evil-aligned creature into its 'true' form so much as force it into a bestial form.

Awesome Avatar by TinyMushroom

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q 39

With the Staggering Strike feat (from Complete Adventurer), is the Fort save DC calculated using just the sneak attack damage, or all the damage dealt by that single attack (including the sneak attack damage, along with weapon damage, Str bonus, magical effects, etc.)?

Q 40

When you use the Penetrating Strike ACF (from Dungeonscape) to deal damage to a creature that is immune to sneak attack damage, does this allow you to use your Staggering Strike feat on that creature?
    Last edited by Callum; 2012-05-23 at 08:37 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

A 39

It is the whole damage.

A 40

No. The ACF gives you a damage bonus, but it does not make the target vulnerable to sneak attacks.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Q 36
    Can clothing be enchanted like armor? What other options are there for someone who does not want to wear armor to increase his armor bonus through items?
    S'more A36
    There's an Ioun Stone that grants a +1 AC and doesn't take up a body slot. Any number of spells and powers of course, plus just having a high Dex and anything that boosts this. Natural armor, which is distinct from armor armor, and available through everything from buying an Amulet to sinking ten levels into Dragon Disciple until you become a half-dragon. And if you're really desperate, there's the Dodge feat, and Psionic Dodge which stacks with it, and the incarnum version Midnight Dodge, and shaping a soulmeld that gives you an AC bonus (Ankheg Breastplate is one example but it does count as armor, albeit weightless; the others I can think of require essentia, so you might need to burn another feat).

(Note that many of these are very low-op choices, so use at your own risk.)
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-05-23 at 10:43 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Q41 Is there any point in the rules where it says that you cannot buy skill ranks (as cross class skills) for trained only skills?

For example, can a rogue get ranks in Lucid Dreaming?
    Currently playing:
    Aer the Raven in the refounding of the temple of nine swords.
    Estef in From Splendor to Shadow
    DMing Here be Dragons IC & OOC

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

A 41

No, not unless the skill itself explicitly prohibits it. "Trained only" solely means that you cannot perform a check unless you have at least one rank in it.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-05-23 at 12:42 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

Q42

Chaining alternative class features? Is it legal by raw or not?
    Can a druid that have gotten barbarian fast movement from acf trade it again for pounce?

edit: typed rage insted of fast movement
    Last edited by Sewercop; 2012-05-23 at 03:49 PM.
    No spoilers in this signature.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

A 42

No. To exchange the Class Features you need to have the class whose features are exchanged. Just having the feature is not enough.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-05-23 at 04:30 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 040 additional info

In addition to the Dungeonscape Penetrating Strike alternative class feature, note there is also a Lightbringer Penetrating Strike ACF in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (page 208). While the Dungeonscape ACF just says you get damage against a sneak-immune foe without qualifying that damage, the EtCR ACF gives you sneak attack damage with ½ the normal dice, and thus will qualify for the benefit of Complete Adventurer's Staggering Strike feat. As these are ACFs with two different names you can choose either one.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Q 43

Could a caster cast a Stilled Mineralize Warrior (Und) on themselves? In the spell's description, it mentions that thy cannot, because they cannot move. Would Still Spell (or Sudden Still) override this?

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 44

Does a wizard or archivist need to have his spellbook on hand to both prepare and cast his spells, or only to prepare them?

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

A 44

No. Wizards and Archivists do not require their spellbooks to cast their spells. Shugenjas (CD), however, do need theirs.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q45: If a character takes Improved Unarmed Strike, it can make unarmed strikes as off-hand attacks, so a 1st-level Human Fighter with 14 Strength, Two-Weapon Fighting and Improved Unarmed Strike could make a full attack like this: longsword +1 melee (1d8+2) and unarmed strike +1 melee (1d3+1). But an unarmed strike isn't necessarily a punch: it can be a kick, for example. So could the same Fighter make the following attack: greatsword +1 melee (2d6+3) and unarmed strike +1 melee (1d3+1)?
    Last edited by Larkas; 2012-05-23 at 07:13 PM.
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 043 No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mineralize Warrior
    Components: V, S, M, XP
    Range: Touch
    The subject may have no more Hit Dice than you do, and it must be restrained in a coffinlike enclosure of stone for the duration of the casting. (Thus, you cannot be the subject of your own spell.)
    From Player's Handbook on page 170:
    To cast a spell, you must be able to speak (if the spell has a verbal component), gesture (if it has a somatic component), and manipulate the material components or focus (if any).
    A restrained subject cannot manipulate the required material component, nor can they touch themselves specifically as part of the casting. It's not just the somatic components that are an impediment to casting Mineralize Warrior on yourself. The highlighted restriction applies as stated.

A 045 Yes.

D&D 3.5 removed handedness except as an appearance factor, so your "off hand" attack doesn't have to be taken with a particular hand, or any hand.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-05-23 at 07:39 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q46: Is there any way to add 1-1/2 Str to any attack during a Flurry of Blows?
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q 047

If a level 6 Bard uses Words of Creation (doubles attack and damage bonus, though debatable) while strumming on a Masterwork Mandolin (+1 attack -1 damage) for IC, which should it be?

a) [+1 attack (base) +1 attack (mandolin)]*2 (WoC) = +4 attack
    [+1 damage (base) -1 damage (mandolin)]*2(WoC) = +0 damage

b) +1 attack (base) *2 (WoC) +1 attack (mandolin) = +3 attack
    +1 damage (base) *2 (WoC) -1 damage (mandolin) = +1 damage?

Essentially, I'm asking when you double.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q 48

Can a character who is disabled perform a swift action in the same round that they perform a move action or standard action?

21. - Top - End - #81
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

A 48

It's actually ambiguous, though a very strict reading might imply no since it doesn't say you can use them. The disabled condition limits the character to a single standard action or move action; however, the associated text also mentions taking free actions, implying that the actual intent of the rule is to prohibit the use of full-round actions.

But since swift or immediate actions aren't called out one way or the other, there's no solid RAW answer as to whether they are allowed. If they are, take note of the consequences of anything strenuous, as specified by the free action clause.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

22. - Top - End - #82
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of URL View Post
    A 48
    If they are, take note of the consequences of anything strenuous, as specified by the free action clause.
    Which text of course specifically calling out quickened spells, and those have since become swift actions. So the answer leans toward "probably yes", even if the text doesn't clarify - it can't, since the extra action types were added after the 3.5 PHB went out.

(Honestly I don't know why they didn't just publish a new PhB with the S&IA's rule, instead of putting a sidebar describing them into every single book published after the Minis Handbook. That would have been the place this question could get answered.)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 045 Yes.
    D&D 3.5 removed handedness except as an appearance factor, so your "off hand" attack doesn't have to be taken with a particular hand, or any hand.
    I'm inclined to dispute this call, since if two-handed weapons still allow you to make an unarmed strike, nearly every melee character would go for this option (an extra free attack, even for nonlethal and at AoO risk, is a pretty major deal), and so the setting would be full of guys running around throwing a kick or headbutt or butt-slam in after every single greatsword chop. That it's unrealistic and goofy doesn't matter for this thread's purposes, but I also suspect that it's very strongly against RAI and might well be prohibited by RAW in some less than obvious fashion. Isn't there anything in core or the Rules Compendium clarifying you can's toss other attacks in along with a THW attack unless you have more-than-human anatomy?
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-05-24 at 08:15 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    [b]045 Dispute[b] I'm inclined to dispute this call, since if two-handed weapons still allow you to make an unarmed strike, nearly every melee character would go for this option (an extra free attack, even for nonlethal and at AoO risk, is a pretty major deal), and so the setting would be full of guys running around throwing a kick or headbutt or butt-slam in after every single greatsword chop. That it's unrealistic and goofy doesn't matter for this thread's purposes, but I also suspect that it's very strongly against RAI and might well be prohibited by RAW in some less than obvious fashion. Isn't there anything in core or the Rules Compendium clarifying you can's toss other attacks in along with a THW attack unless you have more-than-human anatomy?
    045 cont. Nothing forbids it. From the SRD

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Unarmed Attacks
    Striking for damage with punches, kicks, and head butts is much like attacking with a melee weapon.

Two Weapon Fighting
    If you wield a second weapon in your off hand, you can get one extra attack per round with that weapon. You suffer a -6 penalty with your regular attack or attacks with your primary hand and a -10 penalty to the attack with your off hand when you fight this way. You can reduce these penalties in two ways:

•If your off-hand weapon is light, the penalties are reduced by 2 each. (An unarmed strike is always considered light.)
    •The Two-Weapon Fighting feat lessens the primary hand penalty by 2, and the off-hand penalty by 6.
    Thus unarmed strikes are permitted as a secondary attack for a character, even armed with a two-handed weapon, albeit the primary melee attack is at -4, and the unarmed strike is at -8. With the two-weapon fighting feat, these penalties are reduced to -2 primary and -2 unarmed strike. This provokes an attack of opportunity unless the character has or benefits from the Improved Unarmed Strike feat. Whether or not a character "would" or "should" do this is outside the scope of this thread.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2012-05-24 at 10:15 AM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q49

Q49A: Does adding the Dragonborn template to a half-giant remove any of its racial abilities (ie. Stomp x/day, powerful build etc.)?

Q49B: Are the wings granted by the Dragonborn template (if wings are chosen) considered a supernatural ability? Or more to the point, do they function in an AMF?

Thank you!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Q49
    Please help me win this fight.

The Monster of Legend Template from MMII, which was updated with a packet states that the Level Adjustment is a +7. My friend is trying to state, that it is a +5, and the other +2 comes from the Minotaur.

Which is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    The bigger the naga, though, the more chance of a reversal. Some fights, you'll Power Attack with your Naga. Some fights, the Naga will Power Attack with you.

“Parley” is the French word for “everyone else is flat-footed and bare-handed”.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordDrakulzen View Post
    Q49Q50
    Please help me win this fight.

The Monster of Legend Template from MMII, which was updated with a packet states that the Level Adjustment is a +7. My friend is trying to state, that it is a +5, and the other +2 comes from the Minotaur.

Which is it?
    A50 You. 3.5 Web Accessory Update clearly states "LA Base Creature +7."
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q51

A figure steps forward, shrouded, unarmed. The two half-orcs step away from their latest victim, pocketing the old gnome's coin purse. They grin nastily at each other, and step forward. They lick their lips and raise their clubs, anticipating a fantastic, brutal beating for this new victim. suddenly the figure shouts "RAGING MONGOOSE STRIKE!" and proceeds to beat the ever-living crap outta them.

He was a monk 2/unarmed sword sage x. how many times did he hit them? how many weapons is someone who can attack with any part of their body considered to be holding?

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

A 51

This would not work at all. While a character with improved unarmed strike is considered armed, he is not holding any weapons. Even a monk's unarmed Strike (which the unarmed swordsage gets) does not help as his attacks are only considered manufactured/natural weapons for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance manufactured/natural weapons. The Raging Mongoose boost enhances the character, not the weapons. So he gets zero additional attacks.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 049

Yes, the Dragonborn template will remove Half-Giant Psi-Like Abilities (which includes Stomp), Fire Acclimated, and Powerful Build. From page 10 of Races of the Dragon:
    Other Racial Traits: You lose all other racial traits of your original race, including bonus feats, skill bonuses, attack bonuses, save bonuses, spell-like abilities, and so forth.
    A 049B No.

The Wings Dragonborn racial trait is designated as Extraordinary.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Q52

i see the term "War hulk" mentioned on the forums. it seems to be a PrC? where is it from? i can't find it on my books.
    thanks!

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!