New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Default Re: Anyone here play Final Fantasy XIV?

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    One of the more interesting things about FFXIV, in my opinion, is actually just how much the game shows significant emotional wear and tear on the main character. It's often subtle, like a worried glance at something innocuous that triggers them, or visions of fallen friends backing them up in tense moments, or an ever growing availability to make proclamations that make mention of the dead.
    Spoiler: One moment in particular that comes to mind is during a private dinner with one of the main characters of Heavensward.
    Show

The PC has been poisonned or has seen someone's drink being poisonned several times during the storyline, and as the butler is preparing the evening's drinks, the PC just stares at him as though expecting that they're going to be poisonned again.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Spoiler: One moment in particular that comes to mind is during a private dinner with one of the main characters of Heavensward.
    Show

The PC has been poisonned or has seen someone's drink being poisonned several times during the storyline, and as the butler is preparing the evening's drinks, the PC just stares at him as though expecting that they're going to be poisonned again.
    Spoiler: Yep
    Show
    Aye, that's one that really sticks out. You're just left staring transfixed at the filling glasses with a worried look on your face until your friend snaps you out of it, then you get caught staring at him while he drinks, as if tensing up to act at the first sign of choking. I'm pretty sure you even refuse a drink yourself and I could swear you're never seen accepting a drink from anyone you don't completely trust after that point.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Yep
    Show
    Aye, that's one that really sticks out. You're just left staring transfixed at the filling glasses with a worried look on your face until your friend snaps you out of it, then you get caught staring at him while he drinks, as if tensing up to act at the first sign of choking. I'm pretty sure you even refuse a drink yourself and I could swear you're never seen accepting a drink from anyone you don't completely trust after that point.
    Yeah, it's the little things like this that make you feel like your character is well, a person,not just a blank slate like you get in say, WoW. They actually write the story as if your character is an integral part, as opposed to 'along for the ride while NPCs do important things'. Not that the NPCs aren't important, but every one of them acknowledges your presence and power in some way.

Except during the Hildibrand adventures, but those are...special. And amazing.

Spoiler: 3.56 Spoiler
    Show
    IT WAS GREG HILDY! IT WAS GREG ALLLL ALOOOOOONG!
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    Spoiler: 3.56 Spoiler
    Show
    IT WAS GREG HILDY! IT WAS GREG ALLLL ALOOOOOONG!
    Spoiler: Hildebrand
    Show
    Yeah, you do have to wonder what WoL was thinking in the Hildebrand quests.

"Uh, guys? You do realize that, uh, 'Greg', here fits your description?"
    "Hello?"
    "You're... you're not paying any attention to me, are you?"
    "Ah, screw it. Smile. Nod. Kick ass. That's the Warrior of Light way. They'll figure it out eventually."
    "..."
    "..."
    "..."
    "...any time now..."
    "..."
    "...I can't believe it, but I miss Yda..."

Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Yeah, it's the little things like this that make you feel like your character is well, a person,not just a blank slate like you get in say, WoW. They actually write the story as if your character is an integral part, as opposed to 'along for the ride while NPCs do important things'. Not that the NPCs aren't important, but every one of them acknowledges your presence and power in some way.
    Which is exactly what makes me annoyed at Blizzard. In Final Fantasy, I never feel like me, personally, are being blamed for stuff that happens because I'm playing a character. The FF character has agency and feelings of their won separate from the player.
    But in WoW, all the dumb things you're made to do feels like the story is judging and blaming the player for the stuff that happens since the character has little to no agency whatsoever. The things that happen in the recent patch with N'zoth in particular feels just... Does Blizz have that bad an opinion of me? I've refused to do the patch quest because it's treating me like an idiot.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Ooh, I play FFXIV!

I'm Tamsin Twocandle over on Phoenix. Mostly playing scholar and summoner, but I main bard for my static.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

I finally beat the MSQ. That last fight had stymied me for a while. Man that was tense...stupid PLD not having gap closers for the kill the swords phase...

Now to continue grinding Poetics so I can finally get the fully-upgraded HW Anima as a fashion item.
    Last edited by PhoenixPhyre; 2019-04-26 at 06:40 PM.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Trying to find what the name of the track is, during the end of heavenward and lead up to stormblood where you fight
    Spoiler: identity
    Show
    the warriors of darkness. During the quest One Life for One World.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    Trying to find what the name of the track is, during the end of heavenward and lead up to stormblood where you fight
    Show
    Do you mean the battle or the one that plays during the cutscene?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Do you mean the battle or the one that plays during the cutscene?
    The battle, that has a really cool "dark" variation of the FF1 main theme.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, I hear it now. I thought you meant the Maker's Ruin in the second phase of the battle, but there was indeed another, unknown theme playing for the first half.

No luck, I haven't seen it mentioned at all.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    Show
    I think it's Flight from the ARR OST. Only plays a few times in the game, and it's a pretty short loop.
    Elezen Dark Knight avatar by Linklele
    Favourite classes: Beguiler, Scout, Warblade, 3.5 Warlock, Harbinger (PF:PoW).

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ignimortis View Post
    I think it's Flight from the ARR OST. Only plays a few times in the game, and it's a pretty short loop.
    Indeed it is, thank you.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well the changes to tanks have got me interested because they're fairly significant and it does have me wondering what they have in store for healers. I'm a bit more optimistic of the game now than I was before at least.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    Well the changes to tanks have got me interested because they're fairly significant and it does have me wondering what they have in store for healers. I'm a bit more optimistic of the game now than I was before at least.
    Agreed. I want to get better at the Dark Knight (I've been using the Moogle event as an excuse to practice in Tam-Tara and move my way up), but I have to admit I'd rather play alt-tank than main-tank. Of course, between Ninja and Dancer, I rather doubt I'll ever actually escape the DPS role. I enjoy bald-faced aggression too much.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Dancer is looking like it'll be my new main; I like buffers that aren't chained to the MMO toxic baggage that comes with having access to any kind of healing abilities.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Agreed. I want to get better at the Dark Knight (I've been using the Moogle event as an excuse to practice in Tam-Tara and move my way up), but I have to admit I'd rather play alt-tank than main-tank. Of course, between Ninja and Dancer, I rather doubt I'll ever actually escape the DPS role. I enjoy bald-faced aggression too much.
    If you wanna practice tanking, I'd recommend a dungeon that's 30+. Having your tank stance makes a huge difference - it's actually easier to tank at 30+ than it is at lower levels.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    If you wanna practice tanking, I'd recommend a dungeon that's 30+. Having your tank stance makes a huge difference - it's actually easier to tank at 30+ than it is at lower levels.
    Yeah. Tanking at low levels is an exercise in frustration. Too few tools, and they do too little.

I'm most looking forward to the changes to MCH and MNK--those are my two least favorite jobs, hands down. I have every job at 65+ (except FSH and BLU), and those are the two I'm dreading the rest of the climb most. Thank heavens for the MSQ Roulette and the Alliance Raid Roulette. Those give me 90% of my XP and are mindless.
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    Yeah. Tanking at low levels is an exercise in frustration. Too few tools, and they do too little.

I'm most looking forward to the changes to MCH and MNK--those are my two least favorite jobs, hands down. I have every job at 65+ (except FSH and BLU), and those are the two I'm dreading the rest of the climb most. Thank heavens for the MSQ Roulette and the Alliance Raid Roulette. Those give me 90% of my XP and are mindless.
    True enough. Honestly, I'm trying to kill three birds with one stone, here. Learn the tanking trade, grind the level of the class with the most interesting quest line in the game, and grind up Irregular Tome Stones for the Moogle Treasure Trove event. Finally got to level 50 yesterday, so I was able to finish the first leg of the plot, and I'm up to 14 stones. I need at least 50 because I want the black/red bird mount. Might go for Odin's armor afterwards, but another 60 might just kill me. That said, I've got another twenty levels of Dark Knight to grind if I want to tackle the new content as a proper Warrior of Darkness.

Tam-Tara is simple enough and quick enough that even a healer that's half awake can keep me propped up. It is tedious, though. If anyone knows of an irregular-granting dungeon that would be a reasonable next step in my tanking tutelage, I would be grateful for the advice.

Machinist and Monk are both classes I want to play, largely because of the glamours they can get, namely the Golden Saucer pistol and the Emperor's New Fist (so you're fighting bare knuckle, always a concept that has appealed to me). Unfortunately, I have had trouble getting into the Machinist class and Monk is too close to Ninja, which has been my main so far.

I'll be honest, the one thing I can't stand about MMOs has always been the mindless grinding. Just utterly kills me. FFXIV is kinda awesome in that regard because the flow of the game is usually just enough to get one class to max without much grinding at all (at least until the Gear Check dungeons in the postgame sections). Bringing up other classes, however, are absolute murder for me. Largely because bringing up other classes tends to boil down to repetitious murder...
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2019-06-12 at 09:09 AM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

True enough. Honestly, I'm trying to kill three birds with one stone, here. Learn the tanking trade, grind the level of the class with the most interesting quest line in the game, and grind up Irregular Tome Stones for the Moogle Treasure Trove event. Finally got to level 50 yesterday, so I was able to finish the first leg of the plot, and I'm up to 14 stones. I need at least 50 because I want the black/red bird mount. Might go for Odin's armor afterwards, but another 60 might just kill me. That said, I've got another twenty levels of Dark Knight to grind if I want to tackle the new content as a proper Warrior of Darkness.
    Uh, assuming you mean the Rose Lanner there's a much easier way to get it. Like, sooooo much easier.

It drops from the Ravanna Extreme trial pretty frequently. You can probably even solo it now at level 70, though duoing it is probably easier.

Similarly, you can get Odin's gear from completing the Odin fate in the Shroud a few times.

The only reason to grind for the event is the namazu earring - every other item can be gained through another pre-existing method, usually far faster and easier. The exception being the pegasus, as the content it comes from (the Diadem) is pretty dead unless you track down a group dedicated to it.

Since you're 50+ now, you'll likely find it far faster to queue the highest level dungeon you can access with DRK and then run Ravanna EX a few times later. A level appropriate dungeon will give enough exp to get you to the next one with a handful of runs - hopefully before it starts to wear - and you can mix in some fates, sidequests and daily hunts in between to add some variety. It's how I levelled dragoon to 70 in a week.
    Last edited by Tome; 2019-06-12 at 08:01 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Basic map of the game as is:
    Spoiler: A Nutshell Synopsis.
    Show

2.0: A Realm Reborn, or This is Eorzea - After a catastrophe wipes out the great heroes of the last age, a nobody appears from nowhere and gets pulled, somewhat unwillingly, into a world of rival city-states, wild demi-human races and their destructive gods, a magitech-obsessed conquering Empire, and a band of mysterious masked summoners who take entirely too much interest in the aforementioned nobody. This nobody joins a party of heroes, known as the Scions of the Seventh Dawn, and quickly gains renown for their achievements. This portion is almost entirely world-building - you are just one of many adventurers and by no means the most important in any group you run with.

2.X: Postgame, or Finding a New Balance - With several major threats pushed back for a time, the Scions find themselves increasingly taxed by Primals summoned by the demi-human races. While they struggle to keep the damage to a minimum, they decide they need to reorganize to better handle the Primal threat, making deals with power players around the continent to gain the backing for their plan. Meanwhile the masked summoners, the Ascians, grow ever more interested in the main character. This portion shows you as an elite adventurer, capable of taking on any fight but hampered by things you can't just sword your way through, such as logistics, politics, and funding.

3.0: Heavensward, or Old Wounds - Seeking aid from the infamously isolationist city-state of Ishgard, the Scions find themselves caught up in a millennia old war between Ishgard and the dragons that they share the mountains with, and decide to try forging a peace between them. Meanwhile, the Ascians seem to have the ear of Ishgard's church, whispering in the archbishop's ear about a path not to peace, but to victory. The tone of Heavensward is desperate and dour, as the new city-state is a near-frozen stone fortress of grim dragonslayers who have known nothing but war since the day they were born, and your fame and success don't mean much here your prey of choice has been Primals and not dragons. Because it's so focused on a single city-state and it's affairs, the story ends up being a lot more personal, with your character having a far more personal stake in things than before.

3.X: Postgame, or Give Peace a Chance - Peace is not a binary state, even when won by heroes. The long memories of the dragons and the war-hardened culture of Ishgard make it very hard for both sides to tolerate the truce declared between them. Agitants on both sides make negotiations tenuous at best. Meanwhile, Ala Migho, a city-state that's been under Imperial control for a generation, is showing signs of a nascent rebellion - and it seems intent on dragging its neighbors, the Grand Alliance, into the struggle. As with the 2.X postgame, a lot of the story here revolves around threats that can't just be beaten into submission, particularly hatred and prejudice, but the tone is decidedly more optimistic than it was in 3.0. The main character begins to reach the levels of out-and-out hero worship, and most regard them as, quite possibly, the single most influential being alive on the continent, while all other players are treated as elite adventurers you call in when things get rough.

4.0: Stormblood, or The Things I Do For a Spunky Blonde... - The Ala Mighan rebellion is proving to have some legs, so the Grand Alliance decides to back it, recruiting the Scions' aid and, more to the point, the main character. Despite gains made, the rebellion runs into a brick wall when faced with the provincial viceroy, none other than the Emperor's son, a devastating swordsman that makes Primals look like playthings. Unable to overcome this threat, they try to force the Empire to divide their forces between Ala Migho and Doma, another conquered land in the far east. They send a few Scions (including you) there to start another front in the rebellion. At this point, you are no longer just considered the Big Gun of the Scions, you are considered the Nuclear Option for the Grand Alliance. The great and the powerful regard you with affection and awe, and the Scions to whom you were once a mere auxiliary now actively struggle to keep up and resent leaving all the heavy lifting to you.

4.X: Postgame, or A Solid Argument for Cremation - Driven out of both Doma and Ala Migho, the Empire adopts a new strategy to cope with their defeat: flat-out denying that they lost and doubling down on the lengths they'll go to, while the Grand Alliance struggles with the logistics of trying to prop up a devastated Ala Migho and Doma deals with its own aftermath. The Scions are left running around putting out fires as setting up defenses while the Empire employs various schemes reclaim their lost territories - or at least make the losses worth something. To make matters worse, a mysterious voice that only the Scions can hear keeps calling for their help, a call that is greatly unsettling them even on the eve of the Empire's most brutal counter-attack. As with Stormblood, you are the greatest weapon Eorzea has. Everyone, Grand Company commanders, civic authorities, legendary heroes, and even your fellow scions, are in awe of your ability and readily acknowledge they rely on you far more than they should as well as more than you should be expected to endure. As with every Postgame, however, you are confronted with passive kinds of threats that you can't fight your way through and even when you can a victory doesn't win you much.

So, yeah, writing this up, I noticed something of a pattern, with expansions introducing a lot of "hard" threats that can be fought, while the postgame storylines largely confront you with "soft" threats, obstacles you can't just overpower, meaning that it's when you're at your strongest you tend to be particularly powerless... It reminds me a lot of the Joker from The Dark Knight: "All that strength, and there's nothing you can do with it..."
    Can I just say that i really like this analysis of the way the story-line plays out? The inclusion of these 'soft' threats also makes the game far more exciting than most other MMO's (and many non-MMO's as well). As its a game, you pretty much know you're going to be ripping those hard threats a new one, as that's just what videogame protagonists do. However, the soft threats are far more interesting from a narrative standpoint as there's really no reason to think things will all go your way, and often they don't, or only barely do. The ending of 2.X in particular really reinforced the notion that things can go badly wrong for you and means that events that I'd have shrugged off in other games ('there's no way this character will actually die') are a lot more scary and intense in this game.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

I just want to say I greatly enjoyed the new expansion story much more than Stormblood and I'm only like a third of my way in.

Although it could be said Shadowbringer built a lot on what Stormblood (and to a smaller extent, ARR) had set in motion.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    I just want to say I greatly enjoyed the new expansion story much more than Stormblood and I'm only like a third of my way in.

Although it could be said Shadowbringer built a lot on what Stormblood (and to a smaller extent, ARR) had set in motion.
    Yes, this. It's got much more focus and it's, well, dark. The changes to most of the classes are great too.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

In my eternal slowness, I've only yesterday beaten Garuda. I'm pretty sure I'm the slowest player in the universe.

Creating a character to put them in a friend's server is tough. I tried to snipe my bun into Excalibur just before the maintenance, but no such luck.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Yes, this. It's got much more focus and it's, well, dark. The changes to most of the classes are great too.
    But it's full of Light!

Yeah, I'm enjoying it myself. Level 78 so far, about to tackle the last few zone areas.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I gotta admit it's frustrating. I want to do Shadowbringers as a Dark Knight, but I'm only level 52 with the greatsword. I've already got 4.X complete and lvl 70 ninja waiting in the wings, but I can't bring myself to use it.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

I gotta admit it's frustrating. I want to do Shadowbringers as a Dark Knight, but I'm only level 52 with the greatsword. I've already got 4.X complete and lvl 70 ninja waiting in the wings, but I can't bring myself to use it.
    You'll be much faster as DPS, sadly. Everyone and their sister is leveling gunbreaker, so tank queues are sucky. Source: I'm leveling PLD.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

I've mostly around level 45-56 after a few months... but I've also been leveling a looot of classes together.
    All of my crafters are 45+, as well as my mining level. Fishing and botany have hit 56, and I have ninja, warrior, dark knight, samurai, and red mage in the 46-54 range now.
    Thinking of leveling arcanist next, before moving on in the story.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

I hit level 60 as Red Mage and swapped to Dancer, though haven't played as it yet. Still wallowing in Heavensward content after a long hiatus because whoever designed this game's story progression is an incompetent *******. 200 quests of pointless ****ing busywork before the first expansion? I needed a long palette cleanser after that mess and had canceled my subscription until the other day. I can guarantee that's a hard stop for a lot of newer players, and it boggles my mind that in the, what, 5 years since that content was current they haven't done anything about it. Almost none of it matters, in large part because the Scions don't matter, and they certainly don't matter enough for me to go on a three quest chain to collect god damned tea leaves for one of them to get over their little head cold.

I'm STILL salty after a three month or so hiatus, which is saying something.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

ARR is by far the worst for that. By comparison, the Shadowbringer MSQ is very tight--every quest is either part of a significant step or it's an outside group stalling you (which the characters take annoyance at and show their frustration). I recommend plunging forward on the MSQ as the top priority, as it also unlocks most of the world.