New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Young Justice (Spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    While I don't like the way that they make Red be so desperate (like much of this season, so far it seems pretty implausible), I do love the way they show it. He has the all-too-common "hasn't shaved in a week" beard going on, but his arms were skinny and lean and he carried himself in a way that sold it for me.

I'm satisfied with the main plot of the episode. ???Darkseid??? and Sportsmaster came outa the blue, and I was expecting Sportsmaster to have had a KILLER makeover since he killed all those Kroloteans, but it worked great. I'm no massive Darkseid lore fan, but I don't think he runs around flinging radioactive waste. Killing the golem was explained well, though it attacking Superboy was... weird.
    Spoiler
    Show

In-comics, Speedy was a heroin junkie, and on at least one traumatic occasion, relapsed.

Young Justice has a Y7 rating, but we should be able to infer from context.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

2. - Top - End - #602
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

It's not Darkseid, that blaster was too similar to Blue Beetle's. It's likely someone from the Reach, the true makers of the Scarabs. It would explain the robotic voice as someone in the suit, and how it had the same blaster.

Also, keep in mind how the Kroloteans were afraid of Blue Beetle when he showed up in the first episode of the season. Likely because of the Reach, who would be the Light's partners. Before the latest reboot, the Reach were corporate like and would be willing to make trades with the Light. Post Reboot, they'd just invade like the Kroloteans or even more overtly.
    Founder of the Playgound Misfits, The Imperial Guard Reigment in the Playground
    Commisar Baxter, Local Morale Officer, of the Playground Misfits

3. - Top - End - #603
    Troll in the Playground

A really dark episode it was.

Spoiler
    Show

The golem story wasnt interesting at all. The only thing that captured my attention was the omminious shadow that defeated the golem. Still, kind of a waste of time if foreshadowing is all we are getting from this sidestory. And Sportsmaster is back and evil as ever and I wonder if that line about "getting rid of everything that is nothing useful" is foreshadowing for something.

Quite a sad life, Red Arrow has been living since he left the league. Still, what is up with him and his obsession of being a clone? It is almost as bad as Aqualad´s own childish behaviour. The timeskip hasnt help either story feel natural.

On the positive, I like the dak portrayal of what is going on with Red Arrow´s life. Yay! For finally getting to see what is going with the rest of the original cast.

As a interesting side note, Superboy is a really jealous guy.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

4. - Top - End - #604
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    No, same timeskip. It was five years, remember? Plenty of time for a search to occur and be given up, and relationships to develop.

Of course, I can't say that understand the situation with Wally and Artemis. They just gave up crime fighting? Um, was there a reason for that? Because we didn't get given any, and it's kind of a bit of an odd move. Yeah, more stuff I'm not liking about the time skip there, though at least this isn't as bad as Aqualad.

On the flip side, I think I'm starting to like Blue Beetle, so there's that.

Also, anyone want to bet that our mystery villain is Darkseid? That last silhouette looked right for him, and it would explain the odd voice.

Zevox
    Spoiler
    Show
    hmm, ok, musta been a flashback where he mentioned going off to find the original.

and i like the fact that Beetle finally mentioned that he keeps talking to the AI of the suit.
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ogre in the Playground

Just watched the episode and every minute for the last half I was just like WFT. Literally, I got yelled at for swearing.
    Last edited by Demons_eye; 2012-05-19 at 08:13 PM.
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

6. - Top - End - #606
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Am I the only one whose mind leapt to "the mysterious shadow is Speedy", even if it doesn't make sense?

7. - Top - End - #607
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Am I the only one whose mind leapt to "the mysterious shadow is Speedy", even if it doesn't make sense?
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's not that impossible. The real Roy Harper was missing an arm, and that buff golem-killer looked like it had an artificial arm-extension.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by industrious View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

In-comics, Speedy was a heroin junkie, and on at least one traumatic occasion, relapsed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, it's pretty clear they're referencing the events of certain comics with Red Arrow here. Especially when you consider that the glimpse we got of the real Speedy at the end of season 1 had him with his right arm hacked off above the elbow, a very obvious comic reference.

Those are not really the best stories for them to be taking plot points from though.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

9. - Top - End - #609
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

guesses based on what was revealed:

Wally has quit because his powers were killing him; Artimes quit cause well the hero life wasn't for her after jade turned good: also that whole family of red things probably left some deep scars.

Mysterious arm blaster is a fully functioning Reach infiltrator, probably with "real" Roy as host.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

10. - Top - End - #610
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter190 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

It's not Darkseid, that blaster was too similar to Blue Beetle's. It's likely someone from the Reach, the true makers of the Scarabs. It would explain the robotic voice as someone in the suit, and how it had the same blaster.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...between the comments about "meat" and the voice...

...Red Volcano??

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

11. - Top - End - #611
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Bushranger View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...between the comments about "meat" and the voice...

...Red Volcano??
    Spoiler
    Show
    That would be THE sex. Sportsmaster and Red Volcano working together would be so awesome. Awesomeness far beyond squared.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #613
    Titan in the Playground

Heh, that comic were pretty funny, where did you dig it up ?

Anyway, all in all i liked this episode, though i do wonder why KF quit, whats the reason for the theory about his powers killing him?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you very much for this!!!

It certainly made my day, I wonder if they could have that clip in the actual series... can you imagine the reaction with everybody else!

And yes I suspect that ominous figure is another member of the Reach and having Speedy as its host would make a lot of sense given its links to the "Light"

So how the heck is Queen Bee still alive given what she did to Beast Boy?!

Oh and has anyone thought Aqualad might have been mentally altered to turn out that way?

It doesn't need to have been Meg'an although having someone be responsible for why she's been doing whats she's been doing to those krolotareans or whatever they're called might be a hint of a far more serious subplot... what if Aqualad is only the first member to turn evil and Meg'an is going to be following him if they're not careful?!
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2012-05-21 at 05:18 AM.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post

Anyway, all in all i liked this episode, though i do wonder why KF quit, whats the reason for the theory about his powers killing him?
    Well Bart (Kid Flash II nephew of I) was prematurely aging due to constant use of superspeed but i suspect its because of his super metabolism however thats just a guess mind you since that would have also effected Barry too I wonder what about Jay Garrick?

Was he in that episode when Wally went home to his folks?

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ogre in the Playground

My Deviantart

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    It doesn't need to have been Meg'an although having someone be responsible for why she's been doing whats she's been doing to those krolotareans or whatever they're called might be a hint of a far more serious subplot... what if Aqualad is only the first member to turn evil and Meg'an is going to be following him if they're not careful?!
    I'm thinking Megann's ruthlessness might be an offshoot of what happened to Beatboy's mother... but I'm also theorizing that all the shake ups in the team are related to the same event. Superboy and Megann's break up, Wally and Artemis's decision to quit, Auqualad's turn to the darkside are all related to Tula's death and where I think Ocean Master also saw his fall from grace. I'm just thinking that the things that happened in that fight will have been big enough that they shake the entire team.

And this is part of why i'm enjoying the timeskip. By missing out on those 5 years we once again have some mystery to the series, holes that need to be filled. Before we had things like "who is artemis", but now we have "what happened during those past 5 years".

Another reason to like the timeskip is the fact that it would take to long to go through some of these events and bring in new characters. We got like 5 new characters to focus on and It takes time to introduce new characters; to have brought them on without the timeskip and with reasonable pacing probably would have required an another entire season's worth of material. Quicker to do backstory than to see events as they happen... plus we would have likely never gotten to Tim or little Lian so those are the kinds of changes that needed YEARS to develop.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ogre in the Playground

My Deviantart
    You made that? Its very good. Kudos to you.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

18. - Top - End - #618
    Ogre in the Playground

Because Wally did retire for that exact reason: only to come out of retirement during Crisis on Infinite Earths where he got cured and became the flash.

one of the joys of being a comic book nerd is seeing which stories they are setting up/riffing.
    Last edited by 9mm; 2012-05-21 at 11:42 AM.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

19. - Top - End - #619
    Titan in the Playground

Another reason to like the timeskip is the fact that it would take to long to go through some of these events and bring in new characters. We got like 5 new characters to focus on and It takes time to introduce new characters; to have brought them on without the timeskip and with reasonable pacing probably would have required an another entire season's worth of material. Quicker to do backstory than to see events as they happen... plus we would have likely never gotten to Tim or little Lian so those are the kinds of changes that needed YEARS to develop.
    The part where we disagree here is where you think it's desirable to get that many new characters added in so quickly at all. I would be completely happy with them spending an entire season on the events that got skipped over here. That would be highly preferable to this huge time-skip in quite a lot of ways - up to and including the possibility that we'd never get the new Robin at all, in my personal opinion.

Zevox

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

20. - Top - End - #620
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

-----------------
    Quite a sad life, Red Arrow has been living since he left the league. Still, what is up with him and his obsession of being a clone? It is almost as bad as Aqualad´s own childish behaviour. The timeskip hasnt help either story feel natural.
    I though that when first seeing the episode, but seeing about it a bit more, to be fair, it make sense to a point:

First because at the difference of the other clones so far, superboy who met superman a few times, (and we can assume the newly revealed guardian clone probably saw a corpse or at least got proof of the execution), red arrow never met or not even sure of the fate of the real speedy. His identity crisis may go futher than just 'being a copy' but a real need to confront his origin, meet the original or at least see a corpse, to get a certain kind of closure.

And second lets not forget that as a clone, speedy was programed to be extremly single minded, having one objective 'join the league at all cost'; even if this objective has been met, it's quite possible some serious obssessive tendecies remain, he just switched obsessions.
    ------------

For our mysterious shadow, sonic weapon and cold logic seems to agree with a Reach agent.

Awesome as it'd be, I don't think we'll ever see red volcano, (not unless it's a new 'Red volcano') he was pretty clearly melted in lava, wich is rather final even by superheroic standart, and so far the show has been pretty surprisngly reasonable about that kind of thing, so far.

what i wonder is what happend to the two tied up people. look like they were vegetablized but without a mark, how ? Last time I checked, sportmaster isn't a psychic
    --------------

Well that would explain the big need for cash...
    (cocaine would make more sense for a superhero though, more fit for the hyperactive lifestyle)

--------------
    As for the time skip, I personlay like it. It's nice to se a show who doesn't treat 'character devellopement' as only being the results of sudden epiphany 'bam i'm a new person ! " but rather as something more gradual.
    A five year space give more credibility to some of the more radical change of personality observed, namely Miss martian or Aqualad.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2012-05-21 at 04:27 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

21. - Top - End - #621
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    Awesome as it'd be, I don't think we'll ever see red volcano, (not unless it's a new 'Red volcano') he was pretty clearly melted in lava, wich is rather final even by superheroic standart, and so far the show has been pretty surprisngly reasonable about that kind of thing, so far.
    Yeah, but the thing is (and I wondered about this at the time, too): how smart is it to try and kill Red Volcano by melting him in lava? Isn't there something in the Evil Overlord's Handbook about that?

I'm not as familiar with the Reach as I probably should be. Is it in-character for them to refer to humans as "meat"?

Reach infiltrator probably does make more sense given the plotline. But the "meat" comments and voice (slightly deeper, but very similar in timbre) are what made me wonder.

...Reach-ified RV?

(I think we can lay off the spoiler tags now, given it says spoilers right in the title. )
    Last edited by The Bushranger; 2012-05-21 at 07:15 PM.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

22. - Top - End - #622
    Colossus in the Playground

Personally, I'm holding out for HK-47.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

23. - Top - End - #623
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm really hoping it isn't Darkseid, because a) it would be a sucky way to introduce him and b) it seemed like Darkseid wouldn't concern himself with such a low-level mission but would send minions to do it.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

24. - Top - End - #624
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    I'm really hoping it isn't Darkseid, because a) it would be a sucky way to introduce him and b) it seemed like Darkseid wouldn't concern himself with such a low-level mission but would send minions to do it.
    Precisely; and, we've already seen him using minions (Desaad and, presumably, Godfrey). I'm holding out for a Reach-rebuilt Red Volcano.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #625
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Despite the "Volcano" in his name, Red Volcano only controlled Earth. Red Inferno controlled Fire. I don't see why it's so strange he was melted by red-hot magma. Mag-ma. That's a fun word: Magma.
    ...Anyways.

Reach seems the most likely candidate, especially with the Krolotean mention of "competition".

Cheshire going...less evil...is interesting. I like that Lian's being involved, nice comics nod, but I'm really really worried this could go bad places.

Honestly, I'm one of those that thinks too much was skipped, and not enough's being explained. It's still confusing at times, even for a comic nerd, because the confusing stuff is from items unique to this show (the relationships and such).
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

26. - Top - End - #626
    Titan in the Playground

So trying to avoid spoilers here. This weekend I was introduced to Young Justice and watched the first 4 episodes or so. And I have to ask, does it get better? I don't particularly like the characters or the quirks they're given. I swear "Hello Megan" is already nearing the most annoying catch phrase of all time, getting a place along with the likes of "Puppy Power" and "Did I do that?" and "Get 'R done." Robin isn't much better with his hatred of prefixes, Speedy comes across as an arse, and Wally is just annoying.

Anyway I watched the 4 episodes because it looked like it had potential, but before I keep going I want to know if these characters do get less annoying.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    So trying to avoid spoilers here. This weekend I was introduced to Young Justice and watched the first 4 episodes or so. And I have to ask, does it get better? I don't particularly like the characters or the quirks they're given. I swear "Hello Megan" is already nearing the most annoying catch phrase of all time, getting a place along with the likes of "Puppy Power" and "Did I do that?" and "Get 'R done." Robin isn't much better with his hatred of prefixes, Speedy comes across as an arse, and Wally is just annoying.

Anyway I watched the 4 episodes because it looked like it had potential, but before I keep going I want to know if these characters do get less annoying.
    I never found Megan or Wally annoying, so I can't comment there. Robin making up words always annoyed me, but he does start doing it less as time goes on, and so far appears to have dropped it in season 2 (though season 2 is its own can of worms in many respects...). Red Arrow is a mixed bag, but also a secondary character who doesn't show up much until the last few episodes of season 1, so take that for what it's worth.

Zevox

28. - Top - End - #628
    Troll in the Playground

Personaly I never minded Robin making world, tough it was pretty funy.

The characters quirk can be a bit annoying at time but never so much as to spoil the genral goodness of the show in my opinion and they mostly progressively grow out of it (particulary miss martian, even if it'll be a long while before hse top usingg that damn catchphrase of her) as they get a more or less steady supply of character devellopement and growth.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2012-05-23 at 02:57 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

29. - Top - End - #629
    Titan in the Playground

Well, that was an interesting episode.

Armed with knowledge of Roy Harper from AT4W, I was wondering with Cheshire last season whather - and how - they were going fit that in a cartoon. Question answered...

(And here's hoping that it won't end as utterly uselessly and pointlessly as the pre-reboot set-up. Though honestly, I don't think they could actually do something that monumentally assinine in a cartoon, mercifully.)

Until the last few minutes, I was beginning to get really worried about Artemis.

Everything I've seen Jaime in makes me like him more and more. Superboy seems to be coming along nicely too; while he's still a bit grim, the angst level must have been toned down a touch or something, since I find him much more palatable than when the show started.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Also, anyone want to bet that our mystery villain is Darkseid? That last silhouette looked right for him, and it would explain the odd voice.Zevox
    I thought that two, but the silhoutte didn't strike me as big enough... Though my exposure to the DCU in general is relatively limited, Daekseid always seemed to be a very bulky sort of chap. Also, it seemed a bit low-key for Mr Big, too.

No idea who else it might be, unless, as someone said, it's Brainiac.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    High points: Superboy and Blue Beetle are both great characters, and having them work together was a lot of fun. I think Superboy is quickly becoming my favorite character on the show. He's like a super intense Superman - that's pretty badass.
    Yeah, that might be it. He's got just enough Lawful Good as it were in him to take the edge off and make him actually likable. The fact he's mellowed a lot helps too.

Quote Originally Posted by industrious View Post

Yeah, that thought had occured to me too.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pfftahahahahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Personally, I'm holding out for HK-47.

That would be extremely hilarious.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-05-25 at 09:42 AM.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    No idea who else it might be, unless, as someone said, it's Brainiac.
    ...that would explain the comments about "meat"...

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    BR by Dr. Bath

Homebrew