New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Default Spell-to-Power Erudite: Divine Spells...

I have scoured the internet, this forum, brilliant gameologists' forum, and even the wizard archives. Does anybody know the name of the feat that lets a Spell-to-Power Erudite gain access to Divine spells, along with the issue it's in?
    Incarnum: VoP's best (and possibly only) friend.
    Spoiler: Quotes and Fun Links
    Show
    Spoiler: Quotes:
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Actually I got it from you, I just love how many applications it has. It can be oh so broken.

Formerly Lestroisrois. Shorten my new name however you wish; I've seen plenty.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Spell-to-Power Erudite: Divine Spells...

Usually when people talk about StP Erudites with divine spells, they're talking about StP eruidites who've picked those up as arcane spells through somebody with Geomancer levels, Southern Magician or Alternate Spell Source.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Yea. Archivists with Alternate Spell Source or whatever.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Why should you deny yourself the power of Arcane Spellcasting, Divine Theurgy and Psionic Manifesting all in one build?

Human StP Spell-Focused Erudite/9 Ur-Priest/2 Psychic Theurge/9 and BAM! The universe is now your whipping boy... However that can be achieved just as easily with any T1 class... This is just a T1 build that gets access to 3 spell list and is able to do just about anything if it really wants to
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

No the OP is correct. There is a feat that allows StP erudites to learn divine spells. Its in Dragon #349 though I am not sure of the name of the feat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I've seen a couple references to Dragon 349, but I keep leafing through that issue and keep seeing nothing that actually does that. (There's Chameleon crafting to turn a Divine spell into a psionic item; or Psiomancer to pay PP to prep an extra spell - but it would take a very generous reading to allow that to access normally inaccessible spells).

Without a concrete name of a feat or ability to make this work, I'm thinking that's a misspoken but still-quoted reference of the community telephone game.
    Last edited by eggs; 2012-10-08 at 10:35 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Yea. Archivists with Alternate Spell Source or whatever.
    You don't even need that, necessarily. Just a friendly Warlock with UMD and Scribe Scroll. Seriously.

Warlocks are Arcane, and thus, they make arcane scrolls.

They can explicitly fake divine spells for purposes of item creation... including scrolls. So a Warlock can make an Arcane scroll of, say, Cure Light Wounds, which you can then learn.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    You don't even need that, necessarily. Just a friendly Warlock with UMD and Scribe Scroll. Seriously.

Warlocks are Arcane, and thus, they make arcane scrolls.

They can explicitly fake divine spells for purposes of item creation... including scrolls. So a Warlock can make an Arcane scroll of, say, Cure Light Wounds, which you can then learn.
    the thing is, there is a cure light wounds in arcane casting: it's on the bard's list
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eggs View Post
    I've seen a couple references to Dragon 349, but I keep leafing through that issue and keep seeing nothing that actually does that. (There's Chameleon crafting to turn a Divine spell into a psionic item; or Psiomancer to pay PP to prep an extra spell - but it would take a very generous reading to allow that to access normally inaccessible spells).

Without a concrete name of a feat or ability to make this work, I'm thinking that's a misspoken but still-quoted reference of the community telephone game.
    In that case it probably is, I found it through google . Though why wouldn't Chameleon crafting work? How does Chameleon crafting work? Because if it turns the divine spell into a psionic power the Erudite can learn it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

If you haven't read the "Psitheurgy" article, it's probably worth saying that the article doesn't go into much detail explaining how the mechanics of the various feats actually work. There's a lot of room for interpretation on almost all of them.

Chameleon Crafting does say the effects of cross-built items count as psionic or magic, depending on the type of object. But CC doesn't say anything about actually turning the spells into powers, give any sort of parameters for implementing that kind of shift, or do anything to make divine spells count as arcane for StP's purposes.

Filling in the gaps liberally, it might not be unreasonable to say that a power stone with Flame Strike directly creates a new level 4 power, or to take a leap to call it a discipline power for the purpose of an Erudite learning the spell, or to assume it scales by the normal min-CL damage+1d6/PP augment trend. But that involves making up a lot of rules, even if none of them are too long of reaches on their own.

In a more conservative reading, Flame Strike would be in a power stone, usable as a power stone (UPD, no verbal or somatic requirements) for a psionic effect (which even without breaking Magic-Psionics Transparency is relevant for things like Close-minded), but is still a divine spell (meaning neither a regular nor StP erudite could learn it, but also meaning that its implementation would avoid the long series of made-up rules that becoming a power would entail).

Given that permissively embracing the ambiguity here could get a bit crazy in terms of rule-wise grey spaces (say an Archivist/Ardent/Psychic Theurge managed to learn Temporal Acceleration as a spell, how would augmentation work?), I think the more conservative reading is more reasonable. But taken permissively, I suppose it could make for a super-Spells to Powers variant in a couple feats (and do it in a way that makes Expanded Knowledge way better).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    the thing is, there is a cure light wounds in arcane casting: it's on the bard's list
    Yes, but this works with any spell. Cure light wounds, Resurrection, Vigor, whatever.

You can make it go the other way, too, if you're an Archivist.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.