New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Psionic Powers

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Psionic Powers

As a Psion you can feats called Discipline Adept and Diverse Focus. These two put together are confusing me.

Diverse Focus [ELAN BLOODLINE]
    Prerequisite: Elan Heritage, psion, Discipline
    Focus class feature
    Benefit: Choose and gain a Discipline Focus other
    than one you already possess. You can use any powers
    associated with that Discipline Focus as DAILY powers.

Discipline Adept
    Prerequisite: Psion, Discipline Focus class
    feature
    Benefit: You can use each power granted by your
    Discipline Focus twice per ENCOUNTER.

So are the new powers from Diverse Focus DAILY or ENCOUNTER??

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Psionic Powers

By the RAW I'd say 2/Encounter (those powers are granted by your Psionic Focus after all), and that's just fine given the # of feats you have to invest, and the fact that those powers aren't at all gamebreaking, even at 2/encounter.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

discipline adept was obviously written assuming you had 1/encounter powers. It was not written to handle all of the possible feats/paragonpath features you could have come across.

RAW you get each one (from your class and from your diverse focus) 2/encounter, but I'd get it approved by your dm.

If I was your dm I'd give you the ones from your class 2/encounter and the ones from feat 2/day but your dm may be different.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NoAdvantageBP View Post
    So are the new powers from Diverse Focus DAILY or ENCOUNTER??
    There is no unambiguous RAW answer to that, so it's really up to your DM. That said, it would not be overpowered to use those powers twice per encounter (and, frankly, it would be a waste of feats if the answer was "per day" only).
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    There is no unambiguous RAW answer to that, so it's really up to your DM. That said, it would not be overpowered to use those powers twice per encounter (and, frankly, it would be a waste of feats if the answer was "per day" only).
    I haven't access to the 4e books, but I remember there was a point of clarity in 3.5 where feats were always applied in the order that's most beneficial to the user.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bagelz View Post
    RAW you get each one (from your class and from your diverse focus) 2/encounter, but I'd get it approved by your dm.

If I was your dm I'd give you the ones from your class 2/encounter and the ones from feat 2/day but your dm may be different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    I guess I should have stated the fact that I am the DM and it's a player that wants to do this. I was just asking to find out what everybody thought I should do with it. Sounds like everybody is in the 2/encounter side which sounds good to me.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NoAdvantageBP View Post
    I guess I should have stated the fact that I am the DM and it's a player that wants to do this. I was just asking to find out what everybody thought I should do with it. Sounds like everybody is in the 2/encounter side which sounds good to me.
    By RAW we are. However, as a DM it's up to you to make the decision about this. If you feel the player is being a bit too optimized, you can always knock it down a notch. If you go the route of 1/day (or the compromise of 2/day), I would let him know that you've learned 2/enc is RAW, but you feel that it's a bit overpowered.

I can't really say whether I think it's overpowered since I don't know what Discipline Focus is. I'd have to go look at Psionics, and honestly, I haven't looked at half of the psionic classes. However, that is a pretty heavy feat investment, so take that into consideration.
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!