New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Rant about Terrible Spaceships in Sci-Fi/Sci-Fantasy: Last Jedi *SPOILERS*

In all honesty though, most people don't care. My girlfriend noticed nothing wrong with the bombers in TFA.

Spoiler: Rambling about my SF writing
    Show
    I'm wiring a novel/selection of short stories I'm currently calling The Ioite Cache (will be uploading one to my blog once I've rewritten it), where I've added a story in early on that changes spaceships because most people don't care. Early on spaceships use a variety of realistic reaction drives, but because people don't want stories about characters spending months to get anywhere one of the first reverse engineered alien technology is a reactionless drive (they thought out was an artificial gravity generator). While there's an ongoing plot thread about the attempted suppression of the drive (at least before force fields are developed) it also allows a 'three days to mars' feeling that more people are used to from source stories.

A layer plot thread is that they can only reverse engineer what they are close to understanding anyway, the crashed alien probes they have access to have several still functional wormhole drives and FTL radios, but humans can't even work out how to activate them and are reduced to colonising space via STL ships for hundreds of years. So they have hypermetric drives and advanced medical technology, but are hopelessly delayed on anything to do with time or space bending. Stasis and FTL (warp drives of the Alcubierre drive model) are developed shortly before the incredibly hostile aliens are met, and the story ends with an FTL arkship fleeing the destruction of humanity's empire. A massive sphere with a scaled up hypermetric drive capable of exciting matter and shifting it into a form that'll create a warp bubble, which was considered flat out impossible before alien technology was found.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Rant about Terrible Spaceships in Sci-Fi/Sci-Fantasy: Last Jedi *SPOILERS*

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Unless that hole was right in the superlaser focusing bowl I don't think it would have much of an effect. The size of DS2 is disputed, but the most believable figure generally given is 200km. A 10km hole in that would only penetrate a tenth of the way through to the centre, and since the outer layers of the battle station are the habitable areas with all the important stuff being buried deeper inside, the chances of actually causing a crippling blow that way are pretty remote. I mean, I'm not going to completely discount the possibility--the Empire are proven to be stupid enough to have a 17km long star destroyer with only one place it can be controlled from, and they also set up a trap for the Rebels at the DS2 while (a) actually leaking them the *real* plans and (b) not thinking to block off the obvious routes of access for starfighters from the surface to the reactor core, so anything's possible.
    My impression was that there was a giant array of kyber crystals behind the disc, that could be damaged, especially since the things are super volatile. Not sure if that's still canon, but the Rebels have the plans, so they'd know exactly where to strike for best effect, and in the unlikely event they couldn't take out the laser, they could always target Tarkin/The Emperor's command station instead.

Re the Executor, the loss of the bridge is probably not the only damage, remember, they're taking concentrated fire from the entire rebel fleet at the time.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    My impression was that there was a giant array of kyber crystals behind the disc, that could be damaged, especially since the things are super volatile.
    Going by the newcanon, there's definitely kyber crystals in there somewhere - it would appear going by Wookieepedia, that there's 8 focusing crystals - one for each beam generated by the disc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post

Re the Executor, the loss of the bridge is probably not the only damage, remember, they're taking concentrated fire from the entire rebel fleet at the time.
    We do see fire trailing from the engine section as the dive continues.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2017-12-25 at 07:43 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

If there was any secondary command capability anywhere else on the ship then it should have been capable of taking over primary command instantly, or there would be no point in it existing in the first place
    You have completely unrealistic expectations.

Given that the Executor seems to lose engine power or otherwise becomes unable to resist the gravitational pull of the Death Star, id suggest that there was more than just a loss of command going on with the crash.
    To me, it looks more like its drives received faulty control signals which initiated a turn and dive into the Death Star. It also appears as though it may have arrested its turn shortly before impacting the Death Star's surface, which might be the start of a secondary command center asserting control over the ship.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    You have completely unrealistic expectations.

To me, it looks more like its drives received faulty control signals which initiated a turn and dive into the Death Star. It also appears as though it may have arrested its turn shortly before impacting the Death Star's surface, which might be the start of a secondary command center asserting control over the ship.
    The Executor goes from 'bridge destroyed' to 'impact with Death Star' in something like 15 seconds. It's shockingly fast. It's quite possible that whoever the officer in the auxiliary bridge was didn't get their password input in time. The reality is that ships of that class simply aren't intended to operate in close proximity to objects larger than themselves. The Executor would have absolutely survived the incident if it hadn't slammed into the Death Star. Aaron Allston went so far as to restage the exact same scenario -an Executor-class star dreadnaught with it's bridge catastrophically destroyed - minus a giant metal ball to slam into in the EU in order to make this precise point.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    The Executor goes from 'bridge destroyed' to 'impact with Death Star' in something like 15 seconds. It's shockingly fast. It's quite possible that whoever the officer in the auxiliary bridge was didn't get their password input in time. The reality is that ships of that class simply aren't intended to operate in close proximity to objects larger than themselves. The Executor would have absolutely survived the incident if it hadn't slammed into the Death Star. Aaron Allston went so far as to restage the exact same scenario -an Executor-class star dreadnaught with it's bridge catastrophically destroyed - minus a giant metal ball to slam into in the EU in order to make this precise point.
    Everything down to even some Correlian Corvettes has a secondary bridge. But given how those systems likely work even with a few seconds too few while also taking fire even a few seconds delay was probably too late to balance every system properly(Engines, shields, weapons to fire) since every secondary operator would need to know what was being done on the bridge exactly at the moment it went down but also the key problems that'd occurred in those handfuls of seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    Everything down to even some Correlian Corvettes has a secondary bridge.
    From the way Incredible Cross Sections: The Force Awakens portrayed it with the Finalizer's secondary bridge being one of the ways that the class was an improvement on the Executor, it would appear that

"being able to cope well with having the primary bridge taken out"

is supposed to be a new thing - that the Executor's loss at Endor is seen by the First Order as a harsh lesson that they have learned from.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2017-12-26 at 04:37 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    From the way Incredible Cross Sections: The Force Awakens portrayed it with the Finalizer's secondary bridge being one of the ways that the class was an improvement on the Executor, it would appear that

"being able to cope well with having the primary bridge taken out"

is supposed to be a new thing - that the Executor's loss at Endor is seen by the First Order as a harsh lesson that they have learned from.
    I mean, how well can you really expect a flagship to cope with having its command staff taken out? Barring some unusual circumstance, the commander of the fleet is probably going to be on the bridge of their flagship in a battle, you know, commanding it, so theres only so much they can do to compensate for that loss.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I mean, how well can you really expect a flagship to cope with having its command staff taken out? Barring some unusual circumstance, the commander of the fleet is probably going to be on the bridge of their flagship in a battle, you know, commanding it, so theres only so much they can do to compensate for that loss.
    Im pretty sure even an Earth battleship couldnt handle the loss of a bridge in 20 seconds. My guess would be it would take minutes to reestablish proper control, so what happened to the Executor isn't unreasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

10. - Top - End - #70

Depends on which bridge you're talking about. There's a few (flag bridge, signal bridge, etc).

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Yeah, the pink-haired-lady-general's kamikaze run is cool and and all, but it immediately raises the question of why all their weapon systems aren't based on that.
    I agree. It would have worked better if she had dropped back into normal space just in time to crash into the bridge of the other ship. Or had rematerialized inside the other ship in such a way as to break the ship by bursting and disrupting things due to the problems raised by two things trying to exist in the same place at once, instead of just blasting right through it
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I agree. It would have worked better if she had dropped back into normal space just in time to crash into the bridge of the other ship. Or had rematerialized inside the other ship in such a way as to break the ship by bursting and disrupting things due to the problems raised by two things trying to exist in the same place at once, instead of just blasting right through it
    Personally, I think they should have had Leia do the suicidal dive. It would have been a fitting, heroic end for her character arc. It could have established that only Jedi have the prescient reflexes to revert to realspace at the precise moment to cause the damage and/or time the jump precisely enough for the hyperspace wake to do maximum damage. And it would have allowed the pink-haired lady to assume leadership- setting up future conflicts with Poe.
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah

13. - Top - End - #73
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Personally, I think they should have had Leia do the suicidal dive. It would have been a fitting, heroic end for her character arc. It could have established that only Jedi have the prescient reflexes to revert to realspace at the precise moment to cause the damage and/or time the jump precisely enough for the hyperspace wake to do maximum damage. And it would have allowed the pink-haired lady to assume leadership- setting up future conflicts with Poe.
    That was also my expectation - letting her depart the franchise on a high note of action and heroism, in contrast to Han's death for shock value and Luke's peaceful dissolution.

It makes me worried for the character in Episode IX, because of Carrie Fisher (RIP)'s unexpected death. They're either going to have to unceremoniously kill her offscreen in between movies, a horribly unsuitable fate for Leia, or else resort to that creepy-as-hell CGI facemasking technique long enough to kill her off onscreen.

14. - Top - End - #74

BlackDragon

It could have established that only Jedi have the prescient reflexes to revert to realspace at the precise moment to cause the damage and/or time the jump precisely enough for the hyperspace wake to do maximum damage.
    Er, but if that was the case, how did Han manage to bring the Falcon out of hyperspace inside Starkiller Base's planetary shield in the previous movie? He's about as Force sensitive as a brick.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Er, but if that was the case, how did Han manage to bring the Falcon out of hyperspace inside Starkiller Base's planetary shield in the previous movie? He's about as Force sensitive as a brick.
    Leave Jedi Brick out of this! He's at least as force sensitive as the next inanimate object.

I'm sadly reminded of Lensman, where a ship moving at FTL velocities is explicitly less dangerous than a ship moving at taskforce velocities, to the point that switching off your FTL drive next to anything is dangerous, but you can switch it on to ignore collision damage (if you're willing to deal with your previous velocity when you switch it off). Feels a bit strange, but it works out much better as the technology was mapped out in Galactic Patrol and the uses and abuses remain constant.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, there is lots of evidence that Han was force sensitive:
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/12-times...ut-knowing-it/
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Actually, there is lots of evidence that Han was force sensitive:
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/12-times...ut-knowing-it/
    Cracked article? Really? The first two points (which is all I cared to read) have him using mind tricks on a Hutt (which we later learn is impossible) and hitting a target just a few feet away while blind (despite that we are constantly being told that he is slowly regaining his sight). Cracked does not know what "evidence" means. If they do having any good examples, those are still circumstantial at best.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    It makes me worried for the character in Episode IX, because of Carrie Fisher (RIP)'s unexpected death. They're either going to have to unceremoniously kill her offscreen in between movies, a horribly unsuitable fate for Leia, or else resort to that creepy-as-hell CGI facemasking technique long enough to kill her off onscreen.
    I think shortly after her death, they said they weren't going to be CGIing her in Ep IX. I'm guess there's going to be a largeish timejump for Ep IX. Leia will have retired and won't be in the picture anymore.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Cracked article? Really? The first two points (which is all I cared to read) have him using mind tricks on a Hutt (which we later learn is impossible) and hitting a target just a few feet away while blind (despite that we are constantly being told that he is slowly regaining his sight). Cracked does not know what "evidence" means. If they do having any good examples, those are still circumstantial at best.
    Yeah, while Han is certainly lucky enough and has fast enough reflexes to potentially be Force Sensitive, there's nothing definitive either way. 'Han is Force Sensitive' is a plausible theory, in that at least in Legends canon everybody apart from droids tended to be at least slightly Force Sensitive, but he certainly doesn't have the mindset to be anywhere as FS as a Jedi even of he had the raw potential (which he likely doesn't have).

Remember, being FS isn't a binary switch (although it also isn't a scale), so Han can still be Force Sensitive without showing any outward signs. So in my belief saying 'X is Force Sensitive' is useless, partially because most people will be, and partially because Han would likely never act on it.

Now if Han was strong in the Force, that would be a different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    I think shortly after her death, they said they weren't going to be CGIing her in Ep IX. I'm guess there's going to be a largeish timejump for Ep IX. Leia will have retired and won't be in the picture anymore.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they have a scene they can use at the beginning of EIX with Leia getting off the Falcon, then partway through her death is told through dialogue, and at the ending we get a funeral for her. But I'll admit it's slightly less likely than 'Opening Crawl: The RESISTANCE has successfully escaped the clutches of the FIRST ORDER. However PRINCESS LEIA died on the Falcon's escape flight...'

Show

20. - Top - End - #80

I seem to remember one Force-sensitive droid in Legends, actually.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I seem to remember one Force-sensitive droid in Legends, actually.
    The one that blew himself up so Luke would end up with R2? I remember that one, but I thought it was tongue-in-cheek and therefore not really canon.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #82

The one that blew himself up so Luke would end up with R2? I remember that one, but I thought it was tongue-in-cheek and therefore not really canon.
    Yup - that was in the Star Wars Tales comics, which, at least early on, were specifically non-canon (though a few early Tales comics were canonised later, that story wasn't one of the canonised ones).

The newcanon has kept the "he did that malfunction on purpose because he realised how important R2-D2's mission was" thing - but dumped the name and force-sensitivity - in the From A Certain Point of View short story collection.

He also still functions after that malfunction (only being temporarily disabled, not being completely destroyed by it) - and survived the attack on the Jawa sandcrawler as well- the story ends with him heading off in search of a master to serve.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-01-03 at 12:36 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Tales_1

Dumb even by Legends standards, but without the Elseworlds brand it was technically canon.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Tales_1

Dumb even by Legends standards, but without the Elseworlds brand it was technically canon.
    The article for the actual short story opens with a "this is non-canon to the legends continuity" disclaimer.
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Skippy_the_Jedi_Droid

25. - Top - End - #85

The article for the actual short story opens with a "this is non-canon to the legends continuity" disclaimer.
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Skippy_the_Jedi_Droid
    I stand corrected.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Dumb even by Legends standards
    I feel like there should be a word for this.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

In the Star Wars radio drama (I have no idea how canon THAT is/was) R2 actually sabotages the droid so he overloads.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I feel like there should be a word for this.
    Disney continuity?

Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NRSASD View Post
    That being said, we've got a very interesting case study in how "Star Wars space" works, in the same movie no less: Leia's "Spacewalk". My opinion of that scene has no bearing on the following things it can tell us.

a. If space has atmosphere, which it seems to, it's extremely low pressure. When the bridge gets hit with Leia onboard, some of the damage is caused by explosive decompression, not just the explosion.

b. There is probably at least some O2 in space, since she regains consciousness while spaced. If you're unconscious, you try to breathe. If there was nothing out there, she would have asphyxiated. She couldn't have held her breath since she fell unconscious in between the explosion and waking up in space. This also explains the space fires.

c. Space is really bad for humans, atmosphere or no. Frost begins forming on her and she is rushed into intensive care immediately once she gets back on board.

d. While there may be a plane of orientation, there is no discernible gravity in space. Leia is passively floating in space when she wakes up. She is not falling, even slowly.

All of this means that a Gravity Based Space Bomber is an even worse idea, since you don't have any gravity but you do have air resistance.

While I agree all of those ships have gruesome and glaringly large inefficiencies in design, they still don't kill their own crew on a regular basis.
    All of this is explainable, particularly point B. We know for a fact there is some oxygen in space - the oxygen that got sucked out of the bridge with her when it was destroyed. There was enough there for a roomful of people in fact (RIP Ackbar). So in a moment of desperation, her latent Force powers/telekinesis activated, gathered some of it around her followed by propelling her back inside, and she saved herself.

If the above is too incredible for you, then fine, we all have our own lines to draw for that sort of thing. But at the very least, you can't chuck it in the bin as being completely impossible.

As for "gravity bombers" - doesn't magnetism exist in space?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

30. - Top - End - #90

Or have her mentioned but never shown, or recast, or dress Aidan Barton in drag again (which would technically not be a recast)
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)