New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst ... 17323334353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1464
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XIX: It's a Kritzmas miracle!

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Honestly? Inception was a pretty good movie and Rifftrax works best on really terrible movies.
    Eh, I always liked the Dark Knight 'Best Of Rifftrax' clip best of all the other 'Best Of's. And that's like my favorite movie ever.

Second to Inception.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2011-02-01 at 05:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Troll in the Playground

Completely unbeknownst to me, my roommate rented Inception to watch with his girlfriend today. He has it for one day only. So, I'm certainly going to be taking this opportunity to watch it. The only question you now have to ask yourself is if you want to tag along. Best estimates place movie time at around 3.5-4 hours from now. Yeah, it's super-late. Yeah, it's on a terrible day. Sorry, but it's the only opportunity I have.

I'm thinking, maybe two weekends from now we'll rent Twilight and riff it up, so, you can look forward to that. And hey, I own Inceptrax, maybe I'll show it again sometime.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Depends on the card, but on my nvidia card, going to the computer's control panel, then to the video card control panel. Then manage 3d settings, and you can create specific overrides for given programs. This allows you to, for instance, disable Anti-Alising. Can diminish the load a bit, given what tools you have to work with. Also a good idea is to lower resolution as much as possible.
    Tried it didn't work. So Steam's officially now 0:3 for working as intended.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Titan in the Playground

What kind of graphic card do you have? And have you tried posting the error files up on Steam forums?
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeful View Post
    Tried it didn't work. So Steam's officially now 0:3 for working as intended.
    The game in question is the problem. Don't blame Steam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Banned

What kind of graphic card do you have? And have you tried posting the error files up on Steam forums?
    NVidia Geforce 310m is what the device manager tells me, and no I haven't because 1) I don't like Steam as a service. 2)Don't know where the error files are stored 3)I'm dealing with slowdowns and annoying graphical issues like shadows flickering every 1/15 a second, not outright crashes and 4)I know what caused the last two crashes my computer had because of the service and asking for help isn't worth it when the problem is solved by simply closing Steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    The game in question is the problem. Don't blame Steam.
    Your probably right, the service itself has more than enough problems to earn it's own scorn, I don't need to hold a game they published against them. So 0:2.
    Last edited by Zeful; 2011-02-01 at 10:58 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Ogre in the Playground

Your probably right, the service itself has more than enough problems to earn it's own scorn, I don't need to a game they published against them. So 0:2.
    Just setting the record straight
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I think the problem might be that you system isn't quite powerful enough to run it.

And, what are your problems with Steam? Just wondering.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Banned

Well, I think the problem might be that you system isn't quite powerful enough to run it.

And, what are your problems with Steam? Just wondering.
    I find Digital Download services to be annoying, since if you buy a game that is "sponsored" by that service you don't get anything related to the game you bought, simply a copy of client and the activation code, requiring a decent internet connection to play a AAA game the same day you buy it (which I don't have and can't afford). This is negative convenience. Further Steam itself has been the direct cause of two separate crashes on this system, one nearly crashing the computer itself, both times because Steam's programmer designed it to update the moment it detected an update rather than wait for system idle, which I know is possible to code in. Again negative convenience. Then there's the fact that if I want to play any Steam games, Steam has to load, which takes up memory that could be better used running the damn game than keeping it's services up. More negative convenience.

I have received less than 0 benefit from installing and utilizing Steam in any fashion.

Any wonder I consider it bad?

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

I have terrible internet and a terrible computer
    I uh, I hate to say this, but maybe PC gaming isn't really for you,then?
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Troll in the Playground

This is true. I mean, I'm not going to think stairs are awesome if I don't happen to have legs, but that doesn't mean they're not useful and beneficial. Just... not to me.

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    This is true. I mean, I'm not going to think stairs are awesome if I don't happen to have legs, but that doesn't mean they're not useful and beneficial. Just... not to me.
    Yeah, you're much better rocket-jumping to the second+ stories. Take that, Abraham Lincoln! In case you've forgotten, in TF2verse, rocketjumping was the precursor to stairs, which were invented by Abraham Lincoln, the world's first pyro.

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    I uh, I hate to say this, but maybe PC gaming isn't really for you,then?
    My computer is less than 6 months old, was bought for the express purpose of gaming and has 4 gigs of memory, more than enough to run several programs (including several tabs on my browser, including pulling and storing video files into the cache) in the background and play any game I enjoy with no performance issues. However running Steam in the background AND NOTHING ELSE has caused it to nearly crash my OS once and has caused fatal crashes in two other programs because it tried to update during play.

PC gaming is certainly for me, Steam is not. I got it as a social tool to hang out with people here, but since I can't run it and actually play games at the same time, it's absolutely worthless for everything I want it to do.
    Last edited by Zeful; 2011-02-02 at 12:36 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1244

There is a reason ramps are universally accessible as entrance-ways in public buildings (at least in Canada). Just because stairs are great for the legged does not mean everyone has legs.

Also, if you don't have legs, stairs don't fly up and smack you. Steam not only stops Tavar from playing due to needing an internet connection (legs, in the analogy) but actively crashes his computer.

I seem to recall computer gaming being perfectly fine before you needed to have a reliable internet connection to play a game you went to the door and bought the disc for (specifically because you don't have a reliable internet connection). Sure, Steam isn't the only one, but it is the biggest and thus gets all the hate (Microsoft Syndrome).
    Last edited by Spartacus; 2011-02-02 at 12:42 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Also, if you don't have legs, stairs don't fly up and smack you.
    They're not supposed to?

I may be hanging out in the wrong parts of town, then.

Man, my neighborhood is tough.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2011-02-02 at 12:53 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Well, I think the solution is clear. Don't download Steam if you don't have legs.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

17. - Top - End - #1247

Which would of course prevent someone from, say, playing the Orange Box until 2 years after they own the disc.

yes I'm bitter

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Which would of course prevent someone from, say, playing the Orange Box until 2 years after they own the disc.

yes I'm bitter
    Meh, I'm locked out of many modern Wii games (like Skyward Sword) because they lack left-handed support and I lack sufficient right-handed coordination and lateral thinking capacities to compensate, something I find a far worse tragedy than not being able to play a game that also happens to be released for one of the consoles.

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Ogre in the Playground

It would be far too difficult to make left-handed controls for a right-handed character like Link.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    It would be far too difficult to make left-handed controls for a right-handed character like Link.
    Doh ho ho.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Barbarian in the Playground

My computer is less than 6 months old, was bought for the express purpose of gaming and has 4 gigs of memory, more than enough to run several programs (including several tabs on my browser, including pulling and storing video files into the cache) in the background and play any game I enjoy with no performance issues. However running Steam in the background AND NOTHING ELSE has caused it to nearly crash my OS once and has caused fatal crashes in two other programs because it tried to update during play.

PC gaming is certainly for me, Steam is not. I got it as a social tool to hang out with people here, but since I can't run it and actually play games at the same time, it's absolutely worthless for everything I want it to do.
    Dude, hate to be the one to break it to you, but a 310 isn't going to cut it to play games. It's a laptop GPU, which really aren't made to play PC games. RAM isn't everything. If your computer can't crunch the numbers fast enough, how much RAM you have isn't going to matter. More system specs would be really useful to properly address your issues. Steam is worthless to you because your computer cannot handle it. Steam is currently using about 35 MB of memory on my system. I can't believe it'd use much more other than launching a game. What exact problems are you having?
    Last edited by mightymonarch; 2011-02-02 at 01:44 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1252

not being able to play a game that also happens to be released for one of the consoles.
    I have a tendency to play PC games due to them being released on the PC. Being released on the Xbox, for example, does not help my lack of Xbox, nor my lack of playable PC game.

Also, no left hand support is about as unreasonable as no colour-blind support, but annoyingly is about as common. Well, slightly less common due to Rock Band and Guitar Hero, I guess.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    Given that in the Twilight Princess Wii port, they simply flipped everything so that Link, a Left-handed/semi-ambidextrous character in all other appearances, would be right-handed; no, not really. The fastest safest way to do it would simply be to write new control programming for the left-handed control scheme and then flip all the models and animations for Link's character.

24. - Top - End - #1254

Given that in the Twilight Princess Wii port, they simply flipped everything so that Link, a Left-handed/semi-ambidextrous character in all other appearances, would be right-handed; no, not really. The fastest safest way to do it would simply be to write new control programming for the left-handed control scheme and then flip all the models and animations for Link's character.
    I think he was being facetious.

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Troll in the Playground

Pro-tip: Worira was kidding. Hence my Doh ho ho.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    - like the owl.
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Dis, I love you.
    Your quotes rawk.

26. - Top - End - #1256

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonarch View Post
    Dude, hate to be the one to break it to you, but a 310 isn't going to cut it to play games. It's a laptop GPU, which really aren't made to play PC games. RAM isn't everything. If your computer can't crunch the numbers fast enough, how much RAM you have isn't going to matter. More system specs would be really useful to properly address your issues. Steam is worthless to you because your computer cannot handle it. Steam is currently using about 35 MB of memory on my system. I can't believe it'd use much more other than launching a game. What exact problems are you having?
    Have you tried deleting Clientregistry.blob from Program Files/Steam? This should potentially fix that issue.

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Banned

Getting you more specs would take me better than an hour because I no longer have the sticker on top of my machine that extols all of it's virtues in the realm of computing power, but I can tell you that it has an Intel Core i5 520m if that helps.
    Have you tried deleting Clientregistry.blob from Program Files/Steam? This should potentially fix that issue.
    What does the file do?

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Troll in the Playground

Getting you more specs would take me better than an hour because I no longer have the sticker on top of my machine that extols all of it's virtues in the realm of computing power, but I can tell you that it has an Intel Core i5 520m if that helps.
    Start menu -> run -> dxdiag -> ??? -> profit!

What does the file do?
    Break things mostly it seems. Deleting it and restarting steam is a cure all for most things.
    Last edited by Dispozition; 2011-02-02 at 02:20 AM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    - like the owl.
    Dis, I love you.
    Your quotes rawk.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dispozition View Post
    Break things mostly it seems. Deleting it and restarting steam is a cure all for most things.
    If it doesn't, uh, you might have a more serious problem.

Steam doesn't adversely effect my performance at all.. Like, at all. And I am not exactly running a high end rig.
    The recursiveness of KBF's sig is fracturing my brain. OW OW OW.

It's like putting two portals in view of each other and staring through them into infinity. And somehow KBF sigged it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasatoHyuga View Post
    @^^ Hey! Someone sigged me! :D

30. - Top - End - #1260

Make sure you aren't running any of these programs.

Also, have you removed all the unnecessary bloatware the comes pre-insalled? I feel this may be part of the issue.