New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Serpentine's Secretly Sapphic Salacious Sacrarium of Random Banter #180

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    My parents couldn't be prouder. I am the one who finds the B+ disapointing, and the fact that I do isn't really my problem. The fact that I have a B+, on the other hand...
    Mmm. Is the fact that you earned an A at all a consolation? That is, the knowledge that you can do the work to a level of excellence, even if you didn't get recognized for it? *hugs*
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Serpentine's Secretly Sapphic Salacious Sacrarium of Random Banter #180

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Oooh, I did not know that. Explains the (vague though it may be) name.
    What does my name have to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_Ikari View Post
    Mmm. Is the fact that you earned an A at all a consolation? That is, the knowledge that you can do the work to a level of excellence, even if you didn't get recognized for it? *hugs*
    Not really. Grades are meaningless, the only thing they do is help other people make easy decisions about your ability to function. As such, it doesn't matter what I can do, all that matters is having the high grades so that I might eventually be able to move forward into a place where my actual capabilities are valued. <hugs>
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ettin in the Playground

What does my name have to do with it?

Not really. Grades are meaningless, the only thing they do is help other people make easy decisions about your ability to function. As such, it doesn't matter what I can do, all that matters is having the high grades so that I might eventually be able to move forward into a place where my actual capabilities are valued. <hugs>
    I assume she's suggesting that MoonCat is something hippies would name their child?

Ah. I'm...not sure I like that definition. But I suppose I'm a bit sensitive to the idea of...being non-functioning? =\

*hugs tight*...are you...what, considering applying for college soon, then?

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

Hakuna matata.
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    That joke is older than a chicken halfway 'cross a road, Comedian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    This is probably the least amusing thing I've heard all week.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Ranger Mattos.

5. - Top - End - #455

I assume she's suggesting that MoonCat is something hippies would name their child?

Ah. I'm...not sure I like that definition. But I suppose I'm a bit sensitive to the idea of...being non-functioning? =\

*hugs tight*...are you...what, considering applying for college soon, then?
    I do know a girl called Moon in my town.

But you aren't. The grades are meaningless non-measures. The only reason it's important to have good ones is because people who you need to impress give them importance. I never said they were accurate.

I've been considering college seriously since I was thirteen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic_Comedian View Post
    Hakuna matata.
    The song that tells you that running away from your problems indefinitely is a good idea.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ogre in the Playground

The song that tells you that running away from your problems indefinitely is a good idea.
    Not just a good idea, m'dear, but a great one. If you can't change it, don't let it bother you.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ettin in the Playground

I do know a girl called Moon in my town.

But you aren't. The grades are meaningless non-measures. The only reason it's important to have good ones is because people who you need to impress give them importance. I never said they were accurate.

I kind of am non-functioning at the moment, but I'm working on it. *snuggles* And I don't know how else you could define grades, honestly, so...dunnoes.

Ah. I just wondered if it was something that was coming up soon. Not that, I dunno, you shouldn't worry about it yet or something. I'm kind of jealous of your...driven-ness. =3

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm in college right now and it's awesome. They have to best ice cream ever.

9. - Top - End - #459

Not just a good idea, m'dear, but a great one. If you can't change it, don't let it bother you.
    Never call me 'dear' again.

I kind of am non-functioning at the moment, but I'm working on it. *snuggles* And I don't know how else you could define grades, honestly, so...dunnoes.

Ah. I just wondered if it was something that was coming up soon. Not that, I dunno, you shouldn't worry about it yet or something. I'm kind of jealous of your...driven-ness. =3
    <huggles> If you are as you say you are, whatever your grades are have nothing to do with it. Trust me, I was exceedingly depressed two years ago, and I barely dropped.

Not that driven. That's the one thing my parents do get on me about.

ION: Guys, when terraforming a planet, is there something special you do to get it from T2 to T3? I just keeps stopping right at the outer ring of T3.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ogre in the Playground

My parents couldn't be prouder. I am the one who finds the B+ disapointing, and the fact that I do isn't really my problem. The fact that I have a B+, on the other hand...
    I know what you mean. I'm still disappointed about my A in GCSE maths, never mind my B in AS physics

11. - Top - End - #461

Quote Originally Posted by Devmaar View Post
    I know what you mean. I'm still disappointed about my A in GCSE maths, never mind my B in AS physics
    <sends sympathy> How challenging was physics? I haven't done it yet, and I'm always curious about upcoming classes in the eyes of students.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ogre in the Playground

<sends sympathy> How challenging was physics? I haven't done it yet, and I'm always curious about upcoming classes in the eyes of students.
    I did AQA, so I don't know how relevant this is if you're with a different board. Personally, I found most of the course quite straightforward, but that may be because a lot of it was maths based and the parts that were less mathematical were the parts I found most interesting (astrophysics and quantum phenomena). I've always had a fairly easy time with maths stuff

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well, this has been fun to read. *chuckles* Personally, I think both Moonie and Trag are nuts. But people who aren't nuts are no fun. So eh.

ION: Our varsity soccer team just won by 9. 9 to 0. I was starting to feel bad watching.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

14. - Top - End - #464

Quote Originally Posted by Devmaar View Post
    I did AQA, so I don't know how relevant this is if you're with a different board. Personally, I found most of the course quite straightforward, but that may be because a lot of it was maths based and the parts that were less mathematical were the parts I found most interesting (astrophysics and quantum phenomena). I've always had a fairly easy time with maths stuff
    I had a weird click where math just suddenly became the easiest thing in the world for me, after years of head pounding. Apparently my mother had the same reaction some time in high school.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #465
    Colossus in the Playground

I had a weird click where math just suddenly became the easiest thing in the world for me, after years of head pounding. Apparently my mother had the same reaction some time in high school.
    Lucky. I'm terrible at math. Also, you should come online so I can teach you how to make sure you don't need to worry about people being online that you don't want to talk to

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

{{Scrubbed}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2012-08-28 at 09:34 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

17. - Top - End - #467
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Well, this has been fun to read. *chuckles* Personally, I think both Moonie and Trag are nuts. But people who aren't nuts are no fun. So eh.
    No, AT, you are the nuts.
    You have been all along!

ION: Our varsity soccer team just won by 9. 9 to 0. I was starting to feel bad watching.
    Heh. Our football team apparently won 14 to 0. So I guess that makes my school's winning team of one sport better than your school's winning team of another sport, because they owned more, faster.

How does it feel to lose.

All my classes are sooo easy. Even though we're only two days in, I foresee soft days ahead. One class is a little weird though, because it's me and a bunch of sophomores I've never seen before in a space-filling elective. Meh. Can't really ask for more from it.
    Although I could ask that the teacher not grade me on how visually organized my binder looks to him. It's because it's mostly underclassmen, but still. Blah.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    You have been all along!

Heh. Our football team apparently won 14 to 0. So I guess that makes my school's winning team of one sport better than your school's winning team of another sport, because they owned more, faster.

How does it feel to lose.
    Our team was playing ... Well not at it's best today, actually. We lost a bunch of good people with the class of 2012 graduating. I'm sure my school's team VS yours would be pretty fun to watch. It's really pretty boring to watch ... People get creamed so bad.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ettin in the Playground

And then AT was a cashew.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon-freak89 View Post
    And then AT was a cashew.
    Actually, cashews are seeds.

Which is worse than being zombie nut.
    Last edited by Cobalt; 2012-08-21 at 09:53 PM.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Actually, cashews are seeds.

Which is worse.
    I am the seed of your destruction that has been freshly sown. How now, brown cow?

22. - Top - End - #472

Grass can easily be defeated. For instance, I just have to take out my Rotom and he'll lawnmower it all. Easy as that

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ettin in the Playground

Uhh... there are a lot of better ways to impress such people.

Mega projects are one, there are hundreds and hundreds of kids with excellent grades. Children that have built nuclear reactors in their backyard?
    Those get almost automatic admission.

Or the 12 year-old gal that linked all presidents to one common ancestors. That got in the news, that's tenfold better than straight A s.

Heck, I graduated with straight A s, top of my class and got rejected because I profiled as a psychopath (Anti-Social Personality Disorder) to a board of psychologist and deemed too unstable to work on the field of medicine mainly because prioritizing academia has a toll in your mental health, which shows through. This was after I applied twice, both times getting 90% and 98% on the entry test (which is needed apart from being on the top 10% to qualify).

The guy who graduated two places bellow me failed horribly because he had nothing to show other than grades (I did have stuff, mainly thanks to becoming friends with science teachers and making projects with them. That and taking one subject called introduction to investigation that forced you to present a "thesis", it was essentially a mini university thesis, you had to gather data, gather bibliography and heck, use statistical methods to interpret it and draw conclusions, those that passed went to a jury, those that the jury passed went to the school library. I took it two years straight: "Overweight and Obesity in Upper Class Peruvian Education" and one that ended up going to Congress and our recommendations getting passed as a law "Museum Access for Low Income Students, Descriptive Study and Recommendations".). The only guy on my class studying medicine was the one who had mediocre grades because he proved to the evaluating board that despite his 60% score at the entry test he was fully committed and wanted to actually do stuff beyond academia

Even in university what most people tell you is you'll get a cubicle job if you just do academics and should go out and make acquaintances, being connected is just better, having big stuff, like programming a teaching video game for national natives community gathers press and makes you matter more than an A+ in Calculus which other 400 people got. Hence me taking a workshop on making connections and another one on personal development apart from convincing some friends to do a game, because academia gives you tools, but only so far, and you need something to stand out, grades are not that good for most companies now, they want either experience or entrepreneurship.
    I'm all in for preparation, but isn't that a little early, and in the sense of: At that age you don't even get to know what all the possible options are, what careers really mean and if the higher levels are fun (I don't mean that you are good at them) or absolute drag which you excel, but you wouldn't do even if paid.
    ION: Guys, when terraforming a planet, is there something special you do to get it from T2 to T3? I just keeps stopping right at the outer ring of T3.
    Atmosphere? Plants and animals? There is a list of stuff you have to shove, like a number of each. Just use 42 if it seems glitched though.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2012-08-21 at 10:08 PM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Grass can easily be defeated. For instance, I just have to take out my Rotom and he'll lawnmower it all. Easy as that
    Who said I was Grass seed? Also, have fun with that BW screw over. I'll just be chilling with my Mence.

25. - Top - End - #475

Who said I was Grass seed? Also, have fun with that BW screw over. I'll just be chilling with my Mence.
    BW didn't screw over Rotom. Also, you and your Salamance is nothing to the might of Beartic. I'MMA BEAR AT YOU!

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

BW didn't screw over Rotom. Also, you and your Salamance is nothing to the might of Beartic. I'MMA BEAR AT YOU!
    BW totally screwed Rotom. What are you talking about. Only Wash is anything close to viable anymore. Also. Dude. What? Literal MAX attack Mence and 29 Speed IVs with full EV training. Fire Fang which WILL go first and you're dead.

27. - Top - End - #477

BW totally screwed Rotom. What are you talking about. Only Wash is anything close to viable anymore. Also. Dude. What? Literal MAX attack Mence and 29 Speed IVs with full EV training. Fire Fang which WILL go first and you're dead.
    I don't play the metagame, I was just having fun. I honestly don't know what they did wrong to Rotom

I also don't particularly care that your Salamance is super awesome, all I care about is punching the battle subway untill I get a trophy.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I don't play the metagame, I was just having fun. I honestly don't know what they did wrong to Rotom

I also don't particularly care that your Salamance is super awesome, all I care about is punching the battle subway untill I get a trophy.
    Yeah, fine, fine. Just know nothing you have except maybe an Ice type legendary could ever take my Mence.

Comprende?

29. - Top - End - #479
    Banned

But you aren't. The grades are meaningless non-measures. The only reason it's important to have good ones is because people who you need to impress give them importance.
    From a philosophical perspective, it is interesting to consider whether a thing which has no inherent meaning in the abstract, but which is treated as meaningful by an overwhelming majority of the social authorities, has in fact become meaningful through this collusion, or if it only proves that all of the social authorities are equally wrong (and able to maintain authority in spite of their wrongness). I have pretty firmly made up my mind as to which, but it is still neat to consider the two possible perspectives.

Never call me 'dear' again.
    Oooh...there's a story there, I'm sure, should you ever feel moved to share it.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Troll in the Playground

This to the **** yeah.

Meh, varsity teams have the biggest damn differences in talent ever. Some schools just have so crap players they take their freshman and stick em in the varsity because why not, just as good as a senior for all the good they can do. xD
    WHAT IN THE NAME OF THE SWEET CARPENTER BABY IS A BEARTIC!?!

Grades are a part of society as much as some patriarchal traditions, but much harder to be rid of. Grades are THE useful bar for places to determine intelligence and how much you're willing to work (Hey, a B- in AP Advanced College Algebra is better than most other math classes.) to get a good result. In lue of any actual benefit from school work besides the immeasurable feeling of "knowing" the topic (Teenagers are crap at knowing what we know anyway, mostly due to the way how ost of what we learn as teenagers is bull) grades are the best and easiest way to get a semi-accurate measurement of your investment.

ION: Damn I want AP U.S. History so hard. But nooooeeeeee.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-08-21 at 10:14 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.