New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Using Superpowers for Mundane Work

So in comics and other properties, having extraordinary powers inevitably results in crime fighting/committing, saving/conquering the world and so on. But what if instead of putting on bright costumes and being big damn heroes/villains, super-powered folks just used their powers to make their jobs a little easier?

This thread is for any and all ideas on using superpowers for mundane work.

To get the ball rolling: A teleporter could make a pretty penny doing deliveries. "Near instant deliveries, anywhere on Earth!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Using Superpowers for Mundane Work

There's a TV trope for that: Mundane Utility. Not linking to TVTropes for obvious reasons.

Spoiler: This is the page image
    Show

There're entire fictional worlds where magic is so common, people use it mundanely more often than for combat. I'll leave it to others to list those worlds. Even if magic doesn't quite fit your idea of 'superpowers', ideas could be nabbed from there.
    Last edited by goto124; 2016-07-06 at 02:27 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

SMBC did a thing on this a while ago
    Not embedding the image because some people have phones and that'd be cruel
    Spoiler: things in which I used to be involved before i was claimed by the great pestilence of exams
    Show
    The One Sane Drow (Vergil: Drow Sorcerer 5, CN)
    The Uprise (IC/OOC) (Ker'anson: Drow Arcane Spellcaster 4, NE)

Running Total Of Things I've Critically Hit That Jormengand Didn't Want Me To Critically Hit: 3

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Spiderman had it right when he used his strength and speed to cheat at wrestling.

In general, it'd be smarter to become a firefighter, cop or a soldier if you wanted to be heroic, rather than putting on a skimask and beating people in the face.

Construction work is also something that benefits from such.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    There's a TV trope for that: Mundane Utility. Not linking to TVTropes for obvious reasons.
    Also Reed Richards is Useless and Cut Lex Luthor a Check. And These Look Like Jobs for Superman is basically already this thread.

In case you got out of the endless pit of despair after those links, have one more related one.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2016-07-07 at 10:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

It would be instructive to read Top Ten, which is a police procedural set in a city where absolutely everyone has superpowers or crazy gadgets.

Loads of the incidental stuff in the series (and there is loads of it[/i] shows mundane uses of superpowers because it's still a city of ordinary people.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Someone with plant control/growth powers would make a great gardener or farmer.

Flight could be helpful for cleaning windows on high buildings.

Pyrokinesis is a great power for a cook or- depending on the exact mechanics -a firefighter.

With cryokinesis you could make icecream.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Spiderman had it right when he used his strength and speed to cheat at wrestling.
    There was also a sotyine where he was terminially ill(he got better) where he considered taking his life savings to vegas and use his Spider-sense to cheat at high stakes games to ninsure that Mary Jane and Aunt May would be taken care of.

Cracked.com did an article a few months ago about people who squandered their powers.

Of note, Swamp Thing can control every plant on earth and forcing them to take in more carbon and/or produce more oxygen in the photosynthesis process is explicitly something he can do. He could clean up carbon based air pollution the world over overnight.

Storm of the X-Men can control Solar Wins and manipulate Ozone.She could easily fix the hole in the ozone layer and redirect solar winds away from the earth, lessening the damage the ozone layer takes going forward.

Cipher, also of the X-Men, has the power to instantly and innately understand anything even remotely considered a language. He could make a fortune as a translator, could reveal ancient secrets by looking at old untranslated texts, make a fortune in programming with unparalleled understanding of all the programming languages, ect.

In the Web serial Worm, i's a plot point that a disproportionately high number of parahumans are driven towards heroics or villainy or other conflict generating uses of their powers when some of them would be really freaking useful in other fields.(Off the top of my head, our main character would be the ultimate in humane pest control, and the remember of her team would be invaluable in nuclear reactor repair, physical rehabilitation, dog training, and research... I think I'm forgetting one)
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    In the Web serial Worm, i's a plot point that a disproportionately high number of parahumans are driven towards heroics or villainy or other conflict generating uses of their powers when some of them would be really freaking useful in other fields.(Off the top of my head, our main character would be the ultimate in humane pest control, and the remember of her team would be invaluable in nuclear reactor repair, physical rehabilitation, dog training, and research... I think I'm forgetting one)
    To be fair, there is a very good reason why Worm’s parahumans are driven to conflicts.
    And there are a few who use their powers for more mundane applications. The clothing designer comes to mind. (Although even her powers could be used in combat)

Spoiler: Possible Worm Spoilers
    Show
    The Undersiders missing someone? You have Skitter, Grue, Regent, Rachel (or Hellhound to use the name the „good guys” gave her), Tattletale and... that should be all of them. I certainly don't remember another teammate.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2016-07-07 at 05:24 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    To be fair, there is a very good reason why Worm’s parahumans are driven to conflicts.
    And there are a few who use their powers for more mundane applications. The clothing designer comes to mind. (Although even her powers could be used in combat)

Spoiler: Possible Worm Spoilers
    Show
    The Undersiders missing someone? You have Skitter, Grue, Regent, Rachel (or Hellhound to use the name the „good guys” gave her), Tattletale and... that should be all of them. I certainly don't remember another teammate.
    Well, I did say that drive to create conflict was a plot point.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, I did say that drive to create conflict was a plot point.
    Errm yes... I think I've read that, but it didn't register. Happens sometimes (Usually with... funnier results). My mistake.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

I would use my telekinesis to win all kinds of gift cards and iPads out of arcade machines.

Pony Felandria by Dirtytabs, OOTS Avvie by Purple Eagle, Doll by Recaiden
    FelandriaDeadra Blackfyre

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Hytheter View Post
    So in comics and other properties, having extraordinary powers inevitably results in crime fighting/committing, saving/conquering the world and so on. But what if instead of putting on bright costumes and being big damn heroes/villains, super-powered folks just used their powers to make their jobs a little easier?

This thread is for any and all ideas on using superpowers for mundane work.
    One of my top three powers would be animal telepathy, which considering I'm a vet student would be pretty handy.
    Other two I always like are on the more broken/OP end. A healing factor would be nice because I'm kind of a moron and don't take good care of myself, and on-topic would be handy for all kinds of dangerous jobs from manufacturing to firefighting/police work. You could also donate organs pretty much every day as long as you eat enough to grow them back overnight. The other one I like is electrokinesis, which could help me charge my phone or gameboy on the go.

To get the ball rolling: A teleporter could make a pretty penny doing deliveries. "Near instant deliveries, anywhere on Earth!"
    I mean, Amazon Now is making that a reality without superpowers...
    Jude P.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    One of my top three powers would be animal telepathy, which considering I'm a vet student would be pretty handy.
    Other two I always like are on the more broken/OP end. A healing factor would be nice because I'm kind of a moron and don't take good care of myself, and on-topic would be handy for all kinds of dangerous jobs from manufacturing to firefighting/police work. You could also donate organs pretty much every day as long as you eat enough to grow them back overnight. The other one I like is electrokinesis, which could help me charge my phone or gameboy on the go.

I mean, Amazon Now is making that a reality without superpowers...
    No.
    No, no, no. Did you have to bring it up? I had that Story safely tucked away in the back of my head where it can't haunt me and you just had to remind me.
    Thank you very much.

Ontopic:
    Geokinetic powers would be great for all kinds of construction or mining.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    oh my god
    the poor girl
    Spoiler: things in which I used to be involved before i was claimed by the great pestilence of exams
    Show
    The One Sane Drow (Vergil: Drow Sorcerer 5, CN)
    The Uprise (IC/OOC) (Ker'anson: Drow Arcane Spellcaster 4, NE)

Running Total Of Things I've Critically Hit That Jormengand Didn't Want Me To Critically Hit: 3

16. - Top - End - #16

My Hero Academy actually shows some of this off. A main character has powers that makes things lose their gravity and become weightless. She's got an out of school job working at a construction sight, allowing buildings to be built really fast because all those heavy I-beams and stuff become lighter than air.

17. - Top - End - #17

Cipher, also of the X-Men, has the power to instantly and innately understand anything even remotely considered a language. He could make a fortune as a translator, could reveal ancient secrets by looking at old untranslated texts, make a fortune in programming with unparalleled understanding of all the programming languages, ect.
    I've often heard of math referred to as a language. Could be something there...
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

My ideal power has always been basically Tyranid Biomancy. Fleshwarping and fleshcrafting, control over a swarm of smaller critters... I could do painless surgery on people and animals, keep swarms of insects to do emergency cleanup of spills, make living furniture or artwork out of plants... Can you imagine how awesome it would be to be able to say "This seed, planted in the ground, will grow into a house within a year which will provide nutritionally complete foodstuffs for one person indefinitely. Here are ten thousand seeds to be distributed to needy populations."
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

19. - Top - End - #19

There was a Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal comic a while back about Superman getting a job turning the dynamo at a power plant

http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2305
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Cyclops can power a space ship by simply firing out the back, as he can jettison and infinite amount of energy.

Storm + Cyclops could fix arid deserts by evaporating sea water in the Atlantic and then make it rain over the Sahara, repeating in the local ocean to whatever desert they want.

Cyclops could fix water desalinization processes by evaporating water for clean usage.

Several x-men could go colonize anywhere they wanted, as they don't need to breath and are made of invincible bodies (Emma Frost, colossus, etc).

Magneto could make space colonies easy, as he can simply lift them into orbit. He could probably also make moon colonization and martian colonization possible by lifting huge colony ships up into orbit, riding to the location, then gently dropping them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Felandria View Post
    I would use my telekinesis to win all kinds of gift cards and iPads out of arcade machines.
    I swear, I have a relative who already does this. I have a knickname for her.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    My Hero Academy actually shows some of this off. A main character has powers that makes things lose their gravity and become weightless. She's got an out of school job working at a construction sight, allowing buildings to be built really fast because all those heavy I-beams and stuff become lighter than air.
    Thor Odinson was a construction worker in his Sigurd Jarlson identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Cyclops can power a space ship by simply firing out the back, as he can jettison and infinite amount of energy.

Storm + Cyclops could fix arid deserts by evaporating sea water in the Atlantic and then make it rain over the Sahara, repeating in the local ocean to whatever desert they want.

Cyclops could fix water desalinization processes by evaporating water for clean usage.
    I think you may need a lesson on Cyclops' power. Also, I doubt the beam pushes him, so even with the more recent portal to a non-Newtonian dimension explanation I don't think he's a source of propulsion in space.

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Magneto could make space colonies easy, as he can simply lift them into orbit. He could probably also make moon colonization and martian colonization possible by lifting huge colony ships up into orbit, riding to the location, then gently dropping them.
    Silver Age Magneto did this with Asteroid M. Dark Age Magneto had to take over Graymalkin, but demonstrated sufficient control over it to bring it near the Earth's surface and back into orbit. After Joseph became one with the Earth's magnetic field or something, I doubt he is able to do this, anymore.
    Last edited by KillingAScarab; 2016-07-09 at 11:02 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

What about the supervillain equivalent of this? Like Instead of using one's powers for world domination, using them to play stupid pranks on people, sneak into movie theaters, shoplift, and spy on folks in dressing rooms.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I'd wager that telepathy (a la Xavier / Jean Grey) would do wonders in the world of psychiatry.
    Being able to tell what people are thinking and uncovering repressed memories in a matter of seconds? Super useful.
    Would also be great as a lie detector in criminal cases.

To combine the SMBC Superman turbine and the Cyclops spaceship ideas from above, have cyclops fire into some contraption to use the energy and power whatever you'd like.

Iceman, free AC.

For Supervillains
    Magneto making metal detectors go off for someone, preferably at an airport.
    Magneto again, stopping escalators. To quote Mitch Hedberg "Escalator temporarily stairs, sorry for the convenience."

Sinestro: adding another step, then removing it. For people who always think there's that one extra step at the top of stairs.
    Last edited by HatMadder; 2016-07-10 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Saw the super villain post

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    Spoiler: This is the page image
    Show
    Shouldn't work. The couch would probably break around the area he's holding it up.

Hand directed (so it's not directly tied to your thoughts which could be erratic at times) telekinetics to make yourself a 1 man construction crew.

Telepathy that works on anything with the ability to communicate (including computers) to write code for the most amazing game ever. Better yet, hypercognition not based on only what you know to know where the bugs in the code are and how to fix them. Because finding bugs in code can get very mundane.
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2016-07-10 at 08:13 AM.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    Telepathy that works on anything with the ability to communicate (including computers) to write code for the most amazing game ever.
    Does this assume telepathy gets past the 'language' barrier? Or that a computer has 'thoughts' to read in the first place?

*philosophical questions*
    Last edited by goto124; 2016-07-10 at 10:00 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Surprised no one's mentioned the After Hours video on this. The Best Superpower (Is Not What you think).

27. - Top - End - #27

Hand directed (so it's not directly tied to your thoughts which could be erratic at times)
    Which was the premise of both
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sphere and Forbidden Planet
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2016-07-10 at 11:29 AM.

Omegaupdate Forum

28. - Top - End - #28

I just saw an ad for an anime called One Punch Man which appears to combine this with a regular superhero in the form of a guy who fights monsters as a hobby

Omegaupdate Forum

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Dude. Do you know how many animals vets have to kill? Animal telepathy would be an awful power for a vet who actually likes animals.

Shouldn't work. The couch would probably break around the area he's holding it up.
    Superheros with super strength pull stunts like this all the time, though. Obviously has has Superboy's tactile telekinesis.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2016-07-10 at 11:32 PM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mpclardy View Post
    Surprised no one's mentioned the After Hours video on this. The Best Superpower (Is Not What you think).
    Doesn't appeal to my interests in the same way that biomancy does.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.