New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Post Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

Why do we have a fluff thread and a tabletop thread? Well, because, to put it bluntly, arguments about fluff can take up a lot of space. And that makes it hard for people to get critiques on their list. So, if you need to find out what's a good colour scheme for your custom Dark Angels Successor chapter, argue the morality of the setting yet again (Oh, how we wish you wouldn't), or even share fluff you've written for your army, here's the place.

Just remember, in the Grim Darkness of the far future, there is only pointless bickering!

Previous Threads
    I: Warning: No Fanboys Allowed ()
    II: Heresy Grown From Idleness
    III: You're Emprah? Well I didn't vote for you!
    IV: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion IV
    V: WARNING: May Contain Heresy
    VI: They see me Ward'en, they haten
    VII: There's A Codex Entry For That
    VIII: Khorne's Most Favourite Thread EVER
    IX: Post-Human Centipede
    X: Yippe Ki-Yay, Heretic!
    XI: Juggling Idiot Balls
    XII: DIS FINGY GOT NO SQUIGZ IN IT
    XIII: You Must Smash Additional Pylons!
    XIV: The Emperor Floats Those Who Float Themselves

Last time in the Fluff Thread:
    • Coming soon; Warhammer Adventures, the book series for kids! Can 40k survive the de-grimdarkification? Would it be too harsh for kids if it wasn't? Or were we brought up sufficiently sociopathic to be unable to know the difference?
    • How old were you when you when the warp overtook you you discovered the 40k lore? Did it horrible and irrevocably taint you like the grown-ups claimed it would?

Quote Originally Posted by Xenopax View Post
    How in the sweet name of tzeentch did I not notice this beautiful thread before?
    Welcome. We weren't hiding it from you, if that's what you mean - the Warp moves in mysterious ways....

And, which Primarch? Did you know anything about him, or was it just a cool looking toy with a funny name at the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul
    You know, it occurs to me that what would have been brilliant is printing the kid stuff as in-universe propaganda-fiction. Then you can have a bunch of heroic space marines and heroic guardsmen and heroic kids doing heroic things in the name of the Emperor, and it makes sense that it's less dark because the Imperium made it that way on purpose.
    On the one hand, that would be a really clever gimmick and it'd be nice to read more stuff by Amberly Vail.

On the other, I doubt that the Imperium would be printing children's literature that encouraged draft-dodging as a positive trait for it's protagonists.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2018-05-28 at 01:44 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

Out of curiosity did anyone here submit something to the Black Library contest earlier?
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Out of curiosity did anyone here submit something to the Black Library contest earlier?
    I did. Got an email back, basically saying "We got so many submissions, we couldn't give individual feedback."
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2018-05-28 at 12:21 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

It was Horus. Would have grabbed the other guy but he had greasy hair and looked weird. (Konrad Curze). So I grabbed a Batman figurine instead. Kinda funny once you realize Curze is space batman.
    I grabbed it because A. I thought his Lightning Claws looked cool. B. He had Massive shoulders for some reason which sang to me. I knew nothing about Warhammer 40k at the time. My innocence was about to be broken by spending hours and hours on 1d4chan and The wiki "researching" on The setting.

I doubt the Imperium would allow any sort of Story that showed the
    imperium losing in anyway. Like them getting assaulted is ok but The imperium has to have a flawless victory. So no tales of Cadia would say anything about the loss to Abaddon. They'd change it around to say something like they never wanted it or the people of Cadia made a valiant sacrifice to destroy the 13th black crusade. An ideal protagonist for an Imperial story would be a law abiding emperor fearing Imperial Noble who has the Tolerance of K59 (or an Inquisitor if you want to keep it canon). So basically a Xenophobic (heh. Xenophobe) Suicidal Zealot who keeps shooting his own men. Then again that's most commissars. And if you take out the shooting their own men bit, that's pretty much all Guardsmen.
    Omnissiah grant me the strength to change what I can,
    the patience to accept what I cannot,
    and CHAINFISTS FOR HANDS. Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timble View Post
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    My 40k Discord Server: Join Today!
    Magic the Gathering (In the Playground)
    Games that I am in

5. - Top - End - #5

Suggesting that the Ordo Hereticus requests anything is heresy!

"Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

They request (read: Demand) the SoBs's help in battle.

Time to hold a grudge match between the Big 3 Ordos and see who'd win! (Bets on Mallus for Daemon tech or Xenos for Deathwatch)
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    Games that I am in

7. - Top - End - #7

Yeah, but they don't request termination; they just terminate.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

They request (read: Demand) the SoBs's help in battle.

Time to hold a grudge match between the Big 3 Ordos and see who'd win! (Bets on Mallus for Daemon tech or Xenos for Deathwatch)
    Actually that was a request originally. The Sister's agreed to be the Chamber Militant of the Ordo Heritcus, probably so that the Ordo wouldnt get cranky about the stupid technicality that allows the Sisters to exist in the first place.

Also my money is on Hereticus, simply because of the fact that they are the significantly larger Ordo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

So no tales of Cadia would say anything about the loss to Abaddon. They'd change it around to say something like they never wanted it or the people of Cadia made a valiant sacrifice to destroy the 13th black crusade.
    Isn't that exactly what they did?
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    On the one hand, that would be a really clever gimmick and it'd be nice to read more stuff by Amberly Vail.

On the other, I doubt that the Imperium would be printing children's literature that encouraged draft-dodging as a positive trait for it's protagonists.
    Well, yeah, if they were taking that path they'd have to change the characters somewhat. Probably the antagonist, too, since most of the Imperium doesn't know about the Necrons. Orks or Eldar would be a solid choice in that case, I think.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    I did. Got an email back, basically saying "We got so many submissions, we couldn't give individual feedback."
    I also submitted, and haven't seen an email so far. May I ask if you got a confirmation email after submitting? I'm worried mine didn't actually submit now
    LGBTQIA+ITP

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adrastos42 View Post
    I also submitted, and haven't seen an email so far. May I ask if you got a confirmation email after submitting? I'm worried mine didn't actually submit now
    No idea. Sorry to not be of help.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adrastos42 View Post
    I submitted one as well, and I'm not sure if I got an email or not.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I didn't bother this time around, after I never got so much as a form-letter notice of being cut in the second round. My limited fiction writing time/ability goes to people who will guarantee me actual pay for my work.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Much better choice for a title!
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

As far as non-WA news goes, I'm very excited to see a new Ciaphas Cain book on BL's lineup. I know he's not to everyone's taste, but I enjoy his books immensely. And I'm still hoping for at least one book where he goes up against Dynasty Necrons, what with his long-established terror of Necrons in general above and beyond his usual terror of everything.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I kinda liked the other title more.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Exactly, getting their fortress planet destroyed, losing one of their biggest name commanders, sphech merines running for their lives while taking cover behind guardsmen, that is what the Imperium counts as another victory.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

In the entire history of the Imperium we have never lost! To suggest otherwise is Heresy!
    Games that I am in

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I think you'll find that the result of which is the new Baphomet By Night short story just come out.

I am very excited for Hunger to come out in July. Flesh Tearers Gabriel Seth vs. Genestealers.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-05-29 at 06:15 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

21. - Top - End - #21

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I kinda liked the other title more.
    Thought for the Day: "Appeasement is a curse".

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    I think you'll find that the result of which is the new Baphomet By Night short story just come out.
    I remember, when the competition was announced, that I suggested I might write a story called Xenos about a deep-space mining team who are slowly picked off, one by one, by a hostile life-form. After the local Magos betrays them because he wants to capture the creature to experiment upon, there's only a single survivor left floating in deep space.
    We also suggested a story called Hunter in which a single nigh-invisible xenos creature takes down a crack team of IG troopers, striking from the darkness until it is finally defeated by the lone survivor.

Having read the synopsis for Baphomet, I think someone might have stolen my idea....
    Last edited by Wraith; 2018-05-29 at 07:10 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

In the entire history of the Imperium we have never lost! To suggest otherwise is Heresy!
    And.. commenting on massive holes in the official story is.. ?

Thought for the Day: "Appeasement is a curse".
    Bwahaha! oh god.. yes.. thats 40k
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    And.. commenting on massive holes in the official story is.. ?
    Extra heretical. Please report to the nearest Adepta for re-education and cleansing.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

There is no hole that faith in The Emperor cannot fill! Those "holes" you speak of are simply those segments of history that you are unworthy to Know about. Please report yourself to the Nearest Inquisitor/Commissar/Confessor for Daring to doubt the Master of Mankind.
    Games that I am in

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Heh. I think this is the only thread where SoB is not an insult to your mother.

I first learned about 40k when I was 19. People put in sensory-deprivation pods to control dreadnoughts. Eldar weapons that turn your insides to soup. I wasn't sure this was something I wanted to get involved with. The guy I heard about it from said he and his friends started playing Blood Bowl, and then used Rogue Trader to resolve the post-game brawls in the parking lot. Then I read about how Space Marines are made, read a battle report, and decided it looked pretty cool.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    As far as non-WA news goes, I'm very excited to see a new Ciaphas Cain book on BL's lineup. I know he's not to everyone's taste, but I enjoy his books immensely. And I'm still hoping for at least one book where he goes up against Dynasty Necrons, what with his long-established terror of Necrons in general above and beyond his usual terror of everything.
    Me too. I like the background, but most 40k fiction is generally too depressing for me. Cain being the major exception. I'm personally hoping we see him deal with Eldar of some kind.

I'd be disappointed with another Tau/Ork/Tyranid combo book, its like 80% of those books. I'd be okay with necrons I guess.

Now, I haven't started The HH books yet. Not sure I want to either. gonna try the first soon, and see what happens.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Extra heretical. Please report to the nearest Adepta for re-education and cleansing.
    And then flogging, followed by execution, followed by flogging.

Also reminder that the Imperium's official stance is that Tau are indeed considered as great as a threat as Chaos itself.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    And then flogging, followed by execution, followed by flogging.

Also reminder that the Imperium's official stance is that Tau are indeed considered as great as a threat as Chaos itself.
    Y'know people get punished like that a lot. Makes you wonder how much time and ammo is wasted on Flogging/Shooting/Cutting Apart dead bodies.

Well, if they ended up being too nice to the T'au and let the guardsmen get exposed to them, they could get heretical ideas like Freedom! But T'au aren't anywhere near the threat of Chaos. Imperium could probably wipe the floor with them (so could the Eldar/Tyrannids/Certain Necrons/A Drcent Black Crusade) but then it leaves itself open to the Enemies the T'au are fighting. So the High lords or whoever decides this kind of thing used their brains for once, and decided to leave the filthy non-Melee space fish people communists be.
    Games that I am in

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Y'know people get punished like that a lot. Makes you wonder how much time and ammo is wasted on Flogging/Shooting/Cutting Apart dead bodies.
    The fluff says bolter ammo's supposed to be super expensive let alone bolt weapons, but commissars are perfectly fine spending those just to kill their own troops.

Well, if they ended up being too nice to the T'au and let the guardsmen get exposed to them, they could get heretical ideas like Freedom! But T'au aren't anywhere near the threat of Chaos. Imperium could probably wipe the floor with them (so could the Eldar/Tyrannids/Certain Necrons/A Drcent Black Crusade) but then it leaves itself open to the Enemies the T'au are fighting. So the High lords or whoever decides this kind of thing used their brains for once, and decided to leave the filthy non-Melee space fish people communists be.
    But they aren't, they're launching a new crusade at the Damocles Gulf. Because clearly with chaos/orks/nids still rampaging accross the galaxy, somehow Rowboat the High Lords think that trying to take back a bunch of planets they did their best to burn to the ground is worth throwing resources at.

Thing is, from the moment the Imperium met the Tau they passed an edict to wipe them out, and did try to do it several times. But thousands of years later the Tau are still standing. And "we're too busy with chaos/xenos" never really cut it as an excuse since Tau also have to deal with those for those thousands of years.

Which makes sense considering that the Imperium's main tactic of sending wave after wave of guardsmen with cardboard armor and flashlights ends pretty poorly when faced with disciplined gunlines with proper guns that won't just stand and wait for you to reach melee range. And even sphech merine chapter masters pop just fine to a well placed melta fusion gun.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2018-05-29 at 08:23 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I love how te Imperiums solution to all their problems is to throw people at it. Problems still there? MORE PEOPLE! Even when it just makes it worse by feeding them (Tyrannids)/Getting them excited (Orks)
    If the Guard used proper modern day tactics then they would be doing so much better. Space marines too (although ambushes and such might be a little more difficult when 10 feet tall and weigh more than a hippo). T'au firing lines are deadly against the suicide charges of the Imperium. You'd expect them to learn and find a better strategy but nope! That firing line kills 500 people? Send 1000! Even if we say that all Tactics have been lost because of the Dark age of Technology/Age of Strife, they've still had 10k years to relearn it. It does make for some wonderous HFY stories though.

Favourite Faction?
    Mines the Imperium and within the Imperium, the Guard
    Games that I am in