New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: To Boldly Flee

1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: To Boldly Flee

Is it just me, or do the various videos on TGWTG seem to really be trying to play up phelous and lupa and trying to essentially force them down our throats with their constant cameos (like appearing in 3 different episodes of atop the fourth wall very close together, or giving lupa and phelous so much screentime in to boldly flee)?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

I honestly don't remember them appearing in AT4W recently at all (unless you count that "previously on" segment, which frankly I could do without regardless of who is in it).

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, a little bit further back. Like the 200th episode review of Spiderman: One more day, with lupa's part being kinda long and tedious.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    "Temptation of the Snob" was easily the most boring part of the whole thing for me. Trying to play something like that completely straight was a terrible move in my opinion.
    Not completely straight, maybe. The chained-up writer, for example.

They look fine to me. (Also, you expect men to wear makeup? Really? )

Zevox
    This is something that's really started to be noticeable now that we're getting so many shots looking up at the main characters from below. Many of them have patches of those nasty red spots under their chin from rough shaving.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

They look fine to me. (Also, you expect men to wear makeup? Really? )

Zevox
    You know its standard in the performing arts for men to wear make up right?

There are reasons for that is all. And I think the heavy number of close-ups is bringing them out.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlec View Post
    Not completely straight, maybe. The chained-up writer, for example.
    True, but that falls under the category of "jokes that didn't work for me," as do all too many of those in part 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    You know its standard in the performing arts for men to wear make up right?
    No, no I did not. I can't say I like that idea myself, but the fact that I've never noticed before at least means it's not detracting from anything I suppose.

As I said though, I think they look fine here.

Zevox

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

No, no I did not. I can't say I like that idea myself,
    Why? Its not like guys don't have among other things: tatoos that need covering, blemishes that need diminishing, features that need emphasizing or de-emphasizing, and skin tones that need correction for the peculiar lighting effects of your camera and lighting set up.

If you mean particular to this... ehh it is a nitpick. I personally suspect that Part 5 got filmed late in the day and nobody thought about five 'o clock shadows.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Part 6 is up. I had largely the same reaction to it as the last one. Liked the opening and ending though - although I wound up unable to understand what was being said during the lightning sequence at the start.

Also have to give them props on how good they made the battle damage on Mechakara look.

Zevox

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

Part 7 is up:

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure what to think of the long-ass musical number, but I probably don't like it. This part was thick on the drama, light on the comedy. That is to say, there really wasn't any, not very many jokes at all. Just Return of the Jedi

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

I actually liked it, Phelous was actually funny in his well kind of way...

Spoony and the NC doing a great job.

And hopefully I´m not the only one who got the reference to one of my most beloved scifi shows Space 2063

(though maybe I´m just interpreting it in there ^^)

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by masterjoda99 View Post
    Part 7 is up:

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure what to think of the long-ass musical number, but I probably don't like it. This part was thick on the drama, light on the comedy. That is to say, there really wasn't any, not very many jokes at all. Just Return of the Jedi
    Were we watching the same part? Because I thought this one went back to a much better mix of comedy and plot than the last two. I certainly laughed a heck of a lot more than I have been for the last couple.

Anyway, I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that Turl and Zod should've been the main villains of this. So many of the best parts revolve around them.

Given the way things have gone, I'm guessing we probably have about two more parts to go. *speculation*
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm guessing the next one revolves chiefly around the Executor, Luke, and the Snob, while advancing the Plot Hole part more slowly and resolving whatever may be left for Turl and Zod. Then the final part focuses on the Plot Hole, Ma-ti, the Critic, and Film Brain.

Somewhere in there they also have to explain the mystery helmeted guy (who I had honestly forgotten existed until he popped up in this part). And have the real Linkara show up, since they made a point of showing him escaping from the closet Mechakara threw him in. I'm betting the latter has him arrive in Comicron 1 to help finish either Turl and Zod or the Death Bomb, so I'd wager that'll be in the next part. Helmeted guy might also be, but I'm betting he's more connected to the Plot Hole part, so I'd expect more of him in the ending portion.

Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2012-09-11 at 10:08 AM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I liked this part, probably one of the better ones, had good pacing.
    The musical number was good because it sounded pretty good, and worked with what was going on.

Also:

Nostalgia Chick as Ursa? I approve.

Marzgurl as Major Kusanagi? YES.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Bugbear in the Playground

All I have to say for this episode is:

80s Powerballads FTW!

Gosh, this was great, in a disturbing way. Not too keen on the whole thing this year overall, but that was glorious.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Banned

Bah, what really matters is Kyle. He even managed to sell the inspirational speech about the power of art simply through charisma, having a nice voice and actually knowing how to act. Also, he seems to be able to balance taking things seriously enough for it to work and being self-aware enough to not come off ridiculous. Just a shame he didn't get to do more.

Also, ugh, I wish The Major would just go away. She's a terrible character and just another Strong and Independent Woman, but one who for some reason gets a free pass. At least Marzgurl wore the outfit from the show and not from the manga or the movie and didn't seem to extend the reality warping field that makes everyone else useless. And since they aren't going to include gratuitous prostitution, most of the main problems are gone in this version.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Whilst I get that the plot is going to be referencing a lot of stuff, I found it to go a little overboard in part 6 (not quite watched part 7 yet). I mean the direct Star Wars referencing is going from blatant homage to just plain unimaginative. I don't mind them doing it, but the direct scenes being ripped off come across as too straight for me to enjoy.

And frankly I found the Mechakara resolution elements, with added love triangle, to be very anticlimactic. Now granted I don't really like Lupa (her delivery alwasy puts me off, even when the material is good), but it all seemed to end up being so.....unecessary to the plot. Just kind of there and self contained without enough humour or comedy or originality to justify it.

Still if part 7 is better paced (and the bits I saw certainly were) I have hopes for a good conclusion.

Really it seems the TGWTG crew do good beginnings and endings, just not a great continuous story throughout.
    If I cared about this, I would probably do something about it.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Part 8 is up. I was half right - we didn't have two parts left, but only because the last part is a full 45 minutes, rather than continuing the 15-20 of the parts besides 1.

As for reaction... meh. Like parts 5 and 6, too much plot, too little humor. Pity.

It does leave me wondering whether Doug is actually retiring the Nostalgia Critic though. I didn't think so, but the ending seems to indicate it. I honestly can't believe he'd do so without a plan for something to replace it though, since it's his most popular and consistent show, and the site is his main income source. And we haven't seen any new skits testing a new show possibility from him in a long time. So, I'm just confused right now about that.

Zevox

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

I would not worry.

Remember: the Critics are now all in a universe, where nothing makes sense.

if the Critic suddenly starts reviewing again without mentioning the movie at all…

…it would be perfectly consistent with the nonsensical universe they are now in.

they are inside a plot hole after all.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Well the ending wasn´t bad... its just that after part 7 I expected a bit more I guess.

Overall I still think though that this was the best anniversary movie to date and seeing that the next one will be without Noah most likely, this may very well be the best one they will ever do because lets face it two people carried the whole thing pretty much, NC and Spoony.
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2012-09-13 at 09:39 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139

Finally got caught up . . .

I did love Part 7. But the whole ending was so meta I can't even figure it out anymore. Although I do love that the movie has basically justified any continuity errors or plot holes in all future videos, ever. Veeeery sneaky.

Also, I knew the Nostalgia chick was a pretty good singer, but that song was awesome! I much enjoyed it.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

So if the NC just starts reviewing again as normal that would make absolutely no sense.

Which makes perfect sense. [Hmm, my genius rationalization was beaten to the punch by Raziere]

In any case, I don't know. While this special was probably better than the others I felt with the earlier specials like it was really just a bunch of guys having fun with each other which I didn't feel as much in this one (except between Spoony and Doug), and I kind of missed that feel.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerask View Post
    Overall I still think though that this was the best anniversary movie to date and seeing that the next one will be without Noah most likely, this may very well be the best one they will ever do because lets face it two people carried the whole thing pretty much, NC and Spoony.
    Yeah, I think on the whole I probably enjoyed this more than the other anniversary movies, it just had a few parts that were way too light on comedy for me.

Definitely agreed about Spoony though. I really don't know what they'll do without him in these events - between him as himself, him as Insano, and in this one him as Turl, he's been one or more of the best parts every time. Really makes this one rather bittersweet.

Zevox

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Helanna View Post
    Also, I knew the Nostalgia chick was a pretty good singer, but that song was awesome! I much enjoyed it.
    I've come to the conclusion that musical numbers make everything better.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

It does leave me wondering whether Doug is actually retiring the Nostalgia Critic though. I didn't think so, but the ending seems to indicate it. I honestly can't believe he'd do so without a plan for something to replace it though, since it's his most popular and consistent show, and the site is his main income source. And we haven't seen any new skits testing a new show possibility from him in a long time. So, I'm just confused right now about that.

Zevox
    Official answer (for those without time or inclination to watch the video in KnightDisciple's post above) is unambiguously yes, he is retiring the Nostalgia Critic as a regular show, so no more weekly NC.

(Though the character may show up occasionally if they can come up with a good reason.)

They do have plans for a show to replace it; details currently unrevealed, but they have actually just bought an actual studio and they are talking about getting a cast, so it may be the replacement is going to be closer to a "proper" (sic) TV sort of programme than what they've done previously.

All we can do is wait and see.

Something of an end of an era.

Hell of way to go out with a bang, though.

(I think this was probably the best anniversary. Kickassia was perhaps tighter and funnier overall, but the fact that this time around, everyone got to contribute in a way that more matched their personas (plus a bit of the Shakespearian tragic comedy taste and some genuinely good acting - and overacting) made it better for m- who I am I kidding, this one is better because it had Starship battles in it!!!!)

Also, I think the fact that, for once, the trailer and stuff about "a critic's last journey" was actually genuinely bourne out just like it implied is sort a rarity...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-09-14 at 07:27 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    oh what really? well, that outsmarted me.

oh well, farewell then Nostalgia Critic, I'm gonna listen to your Anthem in memoriam…

I hope you'll never stop
    or else I'll be nostalgic...
    of the Nostalgia Critic…
    Oh the irony….
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

From a post on Nostalgia Chick's site, this is apparently going to be a big move; she's getting her own site, and she and several others are signing contracts with Blip for more regular production. As well, apparently they're getting the studio space with/from Blip.

It's not exactly national network level, but then, it doesn't have to be. We might be seeing some stuff on the horizon that makes some big, positive changes for internet TV.

Now I want to make myself go sit down and watch through missed episodes/back episodes of my favorite reviewers (Linkara, Marzgurl, Bennett, one or two others) and a couple I've been meaning to watch (JO, maybe CR?, one or two others that caught my eye...).

27. - Top - End - #147

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that musical numbers make everything better.
    Well, I can't disagree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Official answer (for those without time or inclination to watch the video in KnightDisciple's post above) is unambiguously yes, he is retiring the Nostalgia Critic as a regular show, so no more weekly NC.

The NC has always been my favorite show, except for maybe Todd's pop song reviews. I really didn't foresee them actually cancelling the show, and I'm going to miss it. However, the new potential show thing sounds pretty cool, so I'll look forward to that.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, not at all mixed on my end...

Zevox

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well. I'm sad there's no more Critic.

But I understand Doug's reasons, and think they're good ones.

And I'm excited to see what changes will be coming to the site.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Well damn. Here's hoping that his new stuff is as funny as his old.