New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Christmas Feats-[3.5, PEACH]

For the third segment of my Holiday Feat series, here come the Christmas Feats:

Holiday Fluff

We've seen them all before: the person who eats nothing but candy and wears their costume all day on Halloween, the person who stays up all night waiting for Santa on Christmas Eve, that enthusiastic drunk guy at every New Years party. These people embody the spirit of holidays. These Scions of the Holiday believe and obsess about the holiday they are devoted to so much, that their association with that holiday causes the spirit of the holiday to infuse itself within the Scion, granting it awesome holiday-themed powers.

Rules for Holiday feats

Holiday feats, for the most part, act the same as a heritage feat-chain, excepting one thing: Once you choose a holiday to embody, you cannot choose to embody another holiday. For example, a Scion of Halloween could not choose the Scion of Christmas feat and start taking Christmas feats.

Now, time for the actual feats:

Scion of Christmas[Holiday, Christmas]
    Benefit:
    You're so much of a Christmas fan that it begins to grant you special powers. You gain Darkvision out to 30 feet (+30 if you already have it) and a +1 per [Christmas] feat on Move Silently checks
    Special: You cannot take a [Holiday] feat for any other holiday after taking this feat

Candy Cane[Holiday, Christmas]
    Prerequisites:
    Scion of Christmas
    Benefit: As a move action, you may summon a candy cane version of any one non-ranged weapon, chosen when you select this feat. This weapon need not be one you are proficient with. You are always treated as being proficient with your candy cane weapon. The candy cane weapon cannot last long after leaving your person, disappearing after one round if it leaves your possession. After this disappearance, it may be summoned again. This weapon works the same as a normal one, except for the following:
    • The candy cane weapon gains a +1 to damage rolls per two Christmas feats you have
    • The Candy Cane deals cold damage

Gumdrop Bombs[Holiday, Christmas]
    Prerequisites:
    Scion of Christmas
    Benefit: You learn how to throw giant explosive gumdrops at your enemies. You gain the ability to throw one gumdrop per encounter per Christmas feat you have. Choose one energy type. These gumdrops are ranged touch attacks that deal 1d6 damage of the chosen type per Christmas feat you possess(Reflex half), and have a range of 5 + 5 feet/Christmas feat you have.

Gingerbread Wall[Holiday, Christmas]
    Prerequisites:
    Scion of Christmas, one other Christmas feat, 6th level
    Benefit: You gain the ability to raise a gingerbread wall to protect your allies. This wall can be up to 5 feet tall per two Christmas feats you have, and up to 5 feet long per Christmas feat you have. Tearing off a chunk of the wall provides a meal for one person per three Christmas feats you have. You can use this ability once per encounter per three Christmas feats you have, and is an instantaneous effect. The wall is one inch thick per two Christmas feats you have, and each inch has a number of hit points per inch equal to the number of Christmas feats you have x 2, and has a hardness of 5.

Santa's Reindeer[Holiday, Christmas]
    Prerequisites:
    Scion of Christmas, 3rd level
    Benefit: Your devotion to Christmas gains you access to one of his reindeer's children as a mount. Once per day, you may summon a flying reindeer as a mount for a number of hours equal to the number of Christmas feats you have. This reindeer is treated as a horse appropriately sized for the character, except that it gains a +5 bonus to speed per two Christmas feats you possess, and has a fly speed equal to it's land speed + 5.

Flavored Candy Cane[Holiday, Christmas]
    Prerequisites:
    Scion of Christmas, Candy Cane, Gumdrop Bombs
    Benefits: You learn how to make your candy cane flavored and delectable. Once per encounter, you may expend a use of Gumdrop Bombs to change your candy cane's damage to the energy type you selected for Gumdrop Bombs. This feat also grants bonus damage equal to half the dice you would have rolled for Gumdrop Bomb's damage, although this benefit only lasts for a number of rounds equal to the number of Christmas feats you have. Additionally, while the Candy Cane is flavored, you may take a move action to consume it and regain a number of hit points equal to the number of Christmas feats you possess x 2. When you summon the Candy Cane again, it is unflavored.

Santa's Secret[Holiday, Christmas]
    Prerequisites:
    Scion of Christmas, two other Christmas feats, 6th level
    Benefit: At long last, you've learned how Santa gets in and out of the houses so quickly. You may teleport a number of feet per day equal to 10 x the number of Christmas feats you have, spending it in 5 foot increments. This is done as a move action. Additionally, should you have the Santa's Reindeer feat, you may teleport to where your reindeer is, and appear in the spot fully mounted.

True Scion of Christmas[Holiday, Christmas]
    Prerequisites:
    Scion of Christmas, three other Christmas feats, 12th level
    Benefits: You essentially become the poster child for Christmas, granting you multiple benefits. Firstly, you learn how to see whose nuaghty or nice. You gain the ability to detect someone's alignment at will.This works as Detect Evil or Detect Good, at your choosing. Secondly, you gain a bit of a paunch, like Santa Clause, granting you DR 1 per Christmas feat you have/ magic. Thirdly, you learn how to always have a White Christmas. Once per day per two Christmas feats you have, as a full-round action, you may call down a snowstorm of the likes of which no one has ever seen before. This storm falls in a radius of 10 feet per Christmas feat you possess, and turns every non-occupied square in range into difficult terrain. This snowstorm deals 1d8 cold damage per Christmas feat you have to all enemies within range. This damage is halved each subsequent round, with snow stop falling the round this feat deals no damage. The difficult terrain lasts for a number of rounds equal to the number of Christmas feats you have, and may be cleared by fire spells whose area falls within the difficult terrain created by this feat.

A bit wordy, but fun all the same.

PEACH?
    Last edited by Pyromancer999; 2010-12-11 at 11:38 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Christmas Feats-[3.5, PEACH]

No one has anything to say about these feats?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Very cool, very fun. Nice job. Tell me, have you been waiting to release these, or were you recently inspired?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

The darkvision gain for true scion doesn't seem to be in the Christmas spirit. Rather, why not know who's naughty and nice and gain Know Alignment (good or evil only)?

The rest are just great as is.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

5. - Top - End - #5

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Very cool, very fun. Nice job. Tell me, have you been waiting to release these, or were you recently inspired?
    For the past couple months, I've been releasing a set of holiday feats and a PrC for major holidays. Still, mainly I just think of the holiday and wait for inspiration to find me when it comes to these things, so both, I guess.

6. - Top - End - #6

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    The darkvision gain for true scion doesn't seem to be in the Christmas spirit. Rather, why not know who's naughty and nice and gain Know Alignment (good or evil only)?
    That is a good idea. Would it be balanced to tack on the ability to know when a good or bad act is occuring in a radius of 10 feet per Christmas feat?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

I think that might be overkill.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

8. - Top - End - #8

RedWizardGuy

Alright. Now the Darkvision has been changed to the detect alignment thing.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Thumbs up Re: Christmas Feats-[3.5, PEACH]

These are awsom and I can't wait to use them.

Just a couple of things though. I think 5 hardness is a bit much for gingerbread.(its about the same as stone I think). Maybe lower it to 1(I actually think this is more fun because, then it really IS ginger bread, can't you just see a dude fighting with REAL ginger bread?), this will also make it easyer to break off a peace.

The only other thing I was thinking you might want to add a 75% chance that the candy cane weapon will break after any attack that hits(1-75 on a d%) oh and make it edible! :-D!

Again, I can't stress enough. YOU ARE AWSOME!
    Last edited by Thugorp; 2010-12-11 at 02:06 PM.
    Opinions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Role playing is more important than roll playing.

Gnomes are supreme, Flumphs are second only to Gnomes. This is the way the universe works.

Facts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Mine started at Doom Day Gras(Mardi Gras but with more Doom)

Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    "Apprentice?"
    "Yes?"
    "Get this floor mat off my head before I discorporate you."
    "Yes sir."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

I think you need to be more specific to how long the snowstorm lasts. Taking half damage only makes sense if you have a minimum of 1. What about the storm obscuring vision and the wind knocking back tiny creatures?

Debby

11. - Top - End - #11

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thugorp View Post
    These are awsom and I can't wait to use them.

Just a couple of things though. I think 5 hardness is a bit much for gingerbread.(its about the same as stone I think). Maybe lower it to 1(I actually think this is more fun because, then it really IS ginger bread, can't you just see a dude fighting with REAL ginger bread?), this will also make it easyer to break off a peace.
    Good thinking. I'll make it hardness 2, based on my personal experience.
    The only other thing I was thinking you might want to add a 75% chance that the candy cane weapon will break after any attack that hits(1-75 on a d%) oh and make it edible! :-D!
    Perhaps not as quite high a chance for the candy cane shattering as that, but maybe a 15- the number of Christmas feats you have chance of shattering? And maybe when it shatters, there's a 10% chance it shatters in a way that everyone gets hit by candy cane shrapnel?

Also, it is edible, by way of the Flavored Candy Cane feat.
    Again, I can't stress enough. YOU ARE AWSOME!
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    I think you need to be more specific to how long the snowstorm lasts. Taking half damage only makes sense if you have a minimum of 1. What about the storm obscuring vision and the wind knocking back tiny creatures?

Debby
    On the storm duration: The two different effects have different durations. The cold damage lasts until halving the damage would make it 0 (rounded down or otherwise), so not entirely clear on what you mean with the halving. The snow-created difficult terrain lasts for one round per Christmas level.

On the obscuring vision part, perhaps a 5% concealment per Christmas feat thing?

Lastly, not sure if there should be a knockback effect.
    Last edited by Pyromancer999; 2010-12-11 at 03:06 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

RedWizardGuy

So, any more comments on these feats? If everything's good, I should be able to work on the prestige class for these feats. Still debating with myself on the name for it, so any suggestions for the name would also be helpful.

13. - Top - End - #13

RedWizardGuy

The PrC for these feats, The Santa, has been posted.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

This is very amusing, and I think it's hilarious to think of a candy cane spiked chain ...

Anyway, have a cookie. Gingerbread for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

15. - Top - End - #15

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mootoall View Post
    This is very amusing, and I think it's hilarious to think of a candy cane spiked chain ...
    One of my players wants a candy cane greataxe for his barbarian. Anyways, if you liked this, you should check out the PrC for this class.
    Anyway, have a cookie. Gingerbread for you!
    Oh boy, Gingerbread!
    Last edited by Pyromancer999; 2010-12-21 at 09:44 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

An interesting idea, but overall too weak to be worthy of selection, I think. Given the limited nature of feats, barring a Holiday Scion prestige class that simply gives you feats (and even then, given what the feats are capable of), I think each feat needs to have more inherent power to be worth selection. Darkvision and Skill Focus? An inferior soulknife? No thanks. The Gingerbread Wall and Santa's Secret are the two best ones as far as I'm concerned with regard to what they actually do, but both are rather limited in terms of magnitude.

17. - Top - End - #17

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jota View Post
    An interesting idea, but overall too weak to be worthy of selection, I think. Given the limited nature of feats, barring a Holiday Scion prestige class that simply gives you feats (and even then, given what the feats are capable of)
    You can click the link to the Santa PrC on here to see the Holiday Scion prestige class for this set. This PrC, like all Holiday Scion PrCs, offers you chances to power up these feats, or, should you not want to power up an existing one, gain another Holiday feat for that Holiday as a bonus feat. Take a look, you may like it.
    The Gingerbread Wall and Santa's Secret are the two best ones as far as I'm concerned with regard to what they actually do, but both are rather limited in terms of magnitude.
    Again, if you have problems with magnitude, click on the link to the Santa PrC, which boosts what they can do.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Thumbs up Re: Christmas Feats-[3.5, PEACH]

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post
    Good thinking. I'll make it hardness 2, based on my personal experience.
    You actually had someone summon a Gingerbread wall? That's awesome!

I think the specifics of this require a lot of math. X = how many Christmas Feats you have, Y = how many Christmas Feats you have multiplied by 2. I think it should be based on maybe the Wall of Stone spell? At least the dimension limits. Or any other magical wall spell for that matter.

Also, what about the other holidays? Like Halloween? 4th of July? Thanksgiving? New Years? Last day of school? Got a lot of work cut out for you.

But, these sound like they would be kind of fun for campaigns that utilize similar holidays. Like in my campaign, our winter holiday is called the Pinetree Festival. No Santa, but a winter elemental that pretty much does the same thing, except he looks like Frosty the Snowman from the old cartoon, tophat and all. So a few modifications to the names, and maybe a little fluff and these could work with any campaign setting out there. Good work.
    "For pony!"

19. - Top - End - #19

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by agentnone View Post
    You actually had someone summon a Gingerbread wall? That's awesome!

I think the specifics of this require a lot of math. X = how many Christmas Feats you have, Y = how many Christmas Feats you have multiplied by 2. I think it should be based on maybe the Wall of Stone spell? At least the dimension limits. Or any other magical wall spell for that matter.
    I did take a look at Wall spells for the feat, although I'm not sure if I've ever gotten those quite clearly.
    Also, what about the other holidays? Like Halloween? 4th of July? Thanksgiving? New Years? Last day of school? Got a lot of work cut out for you.
    I make and release feats and PrCs for holidays just as they come around. So far, I've made stuff for Halloween and Thanksgiving in addition to this stuff. Not sure if I'll be able to do New Year's though, as I expect to be busy.
    Good work.
    Thanks.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

biggrin Re: Christmas Feats-[3.5, PEACH]

I just wanted to tell you piro, I actually have a player who is using these feats of yours! :-D Thanks for making them!
    Opinions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Role playing is more important than roll playing.

Gnomes are supreme, Flumphs are second only to Gnomes. This is the way the universe works.

Facts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Mine started at Doom Day Gras(Mardi Gras but with more Doom)

Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    "Apprentice?"
    "Yes?"
    "Get this floor mat off my head before I discorporate you."
    "Yes sir."