New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [D&D 3.5] Best non-touch spells for Spell Storing weapon?

I've just started playing a gish type (wizard//warblade gestalt) character, using a homebrewed prestige class which grants me, among other things, channeling like a Duskblade. This means I can cast any touch spell through my weapon. The weapon is also Spell Storing, double trouble! I have a bunch of good touch spells in my spellbook, so that's not an issue. Spell Storing, however, has a wider restriction than channeling, specifying any targeted spell (i.e. any spell with a "Target:" entry in the spell description) of 1st to 3rd level as permissible.

What spells make good candidates for Spell Storing? Something that isn't a touch spell (because I can already cast those through my weapon), is single target (unlike e.g. Slow) and on the wizard/sorcerer spell list (of any school, I'm using elven generalist ACF)? All I've come up with so far is Dispel Magic, which isn't exactly always useful. Any 3.5 source is available.

EDIT: Note that ray spell aren't targeted, so they can't be used with Spell Storing.
    Last edited by Swooper; 2011-02-22 at 10:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 3.5] Best non-touch spells for Spell Storing weapon?

Empowered Ray of Enfeeblement and Empowered Ray of Clumsiness both take a 3rd level slot, and between them can one-shot many things, no save. Also Touch of Idiocy for one-shotting animals and other low-Int monsters.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vladislav View Post
    Empowered Ray of Enfeeblement and Empowered Ray of Clumsiness both take a 3rd level slot, and between them can one-shot many things, no save. Also Touch of Idiocy for one-shotting animals and other low-Int monsters.
    Well, not quite. None of those can reduce the ability to less than 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Damage is classy, Vampiric Touch provides some healing.

Why are you limited to just sor/wizard? Spell Storing has no limitation on who casts it.
    Hold person maybe? Power word Pain. Sting Ray or Targeting Ray (Spell Compendium) Sting ray makes casting hard, Targeting ray makes them easier to shoot.
    Belkar Claws (SpC) deals 2d12 damage, no save, SR yes, and lasts for several rounds
    Combust (SpC) deals 1d8 damage/clvl. no save. Reflex save prevents catching on fire. SR yes

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Vladislav View Post
    Rays aren't targeted spells so they don't work with spell storing, and touch of idiocy is a touch spell so I can already channel that. Also, what Reynard said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Laugh View Post
    Damage is classy, Vampiric Touch provides some healing.
    Sadly, the DM has banned it for fluff reasons Also, touch.
    Why are you limited to just sor/wizard? Spell Storing has no limitation on who casts it.
    I'm aware, but I'd rather not rely on others for this.
    Hold person maybe? Power word Pain.
    Those are both golden.
    Sting Ray or Targeting Ray (Spell Compendium) Sting ray makes casting hard, Targeting ray makes them easier to shoot.
    Both rays, doesn't work.
    Belkar Claws (SpC) deals 2d12 damage, no save, SR yes, and lasts for several rounds
    Combust (SpC) deals 1d8 damage/clvl. no save. Reflex save prevents catching on fire. SR yes
    Both touch.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

It's clear to me that I need to reread the description of spell storing, I'll be back with better suggestions.
    Power Word: sicken isn't half bad, targets creatures with 100 or less hp. and gives them -2 saves. Also attack rolls, and most things.

Curse of Impending Blades is save NO, SR yes and gives -2 AC. lame, but a penalty is a penalty

Distract Assailant: will yes/Sr yes, but makes an enemy flatfooted. could be interesting

Earthbind can be a very powerful spell.

Battering Ram does a little damage, and bull rushes with a +10 bonus

Entice Gift can snag weapons, and spell component pouches

MAGE HAND GREATER!!!!! probably only works against kobolds, but it totally qualifies.

Mesmerizing Glare would fascinate the target. Which is pretty not great, but it might be the only storable spell which fascinates.

Miser's Envy is an interesting choice, if they fail the save/SR they are compelled to obtain an item specified by you. I suggest you make them want an arrow, and then shoot it into one of their allies. This spell should at the very least send an enemy stomping off into the woods.

Net of Shadows reduces the targets vision. and they treat everyone as having concealment. (1-way concealment is the best!)

Sound Lance is a strong choice, Fort Half is important SR YES is bad, but deals 1d8/clevel and hits spell casters rather hard.

Spell Vulnerability is Fort Negates, SR NO and reduces spell resistance by 1/clvl (max -15)

Stolen Breath is Save NO, SR yes. Subject is sickened unless it takes a full round action to end the effect (win-win)

*Unless otherwise noted, these are mostly SR yes and Save Negate. My favorites are stolen breath, spell Vulnerability, and Entice Gift.

The image of some bruiser smashing a halfling, and then the halfling flying into the air from Greater Mage Hand is pretty cool.

My bad on the rays, was going from memory, and for some darn reason didn't think they were rays.
    Last edited by Last Laugh; 2011-02-22 at 11:48 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Combust and Vampiric Touch are my two go-to spells for channeling through the weapon. I will occasionally throw in a Shocking Grasp or an Enervation, but the AOE stuff is wasted. If I go up against casters, I might throw in Reciprocal Gyre, but it's useless against the mooks.
    Last edited by CigarPete; 2011-02-22 at 11:48 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Now we're talking! Thanks a bunch, I will check all those!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Swooper View Post
    Now we're talking! Thanks a bunch, I will check all those!
    All from SpC. I'll give the phbII a look-see

Bigby's Tripping hand tacks a weak trip attempt onto your strike,

Black Karma Curse save yes, sr yes. target strikes itself with most damage weapon

Curse of Arrow Attraction: weaker than Impending Blades IMO as it's Save/SR yes, but -5 AC vs ranged attacks

Energy Vulnerability makes the target take 50% bonus damage from an energy type, sr/save yes.

Melf's Unicorn Arrow is an amazing choice. Deals 1d8+8 damage and Bullrushes, opponent has to beat a dc 21 to avoid bullrush. 1 extra arrow for every 3 caster levels above 5. SR NO/Save NO

Vertigo is will disbelief, -2 saves/attacks. SR NO and must make a balance check to move. (dc 10, but it's something)

Technically Whelm qualifies, but you shouldn't use it.

Melf's Unicorn Arrow is devastating. Deals decent damage, and has a nice chance of rearranging the battlefield a little. (Or pushing folks off cliffs)

Edit: Keld is a meaniehead ninjaface!
    Last edited by Last Laugh; 2011-02-22 at 12:08 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Melf's Unicorn Arrow! KER POW!

Also, if you take Sanctum Spell, you can store 4th level spells in your Spellstoring weapon as long as you don't load them into the weapon while in your sanctum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Why not use touch spells in you spell-storing weapon, at least if you can't think of any non-touch spells appropriate to your needs? You'd still be hitting your target with two spells on an attack.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Why not use touch spells in you spell-storing weapon, at least if you can't think of any non-touch spells appropriate to your needs? You'd still be hitting your target with two spells on an attack.
    That's what I've been doing so far, I just wanted to know my other options

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

(Lesser Rod of) Maximized Shivering Touch! 18 Dex damage, no save!

Bands of Steel is pretty good, particularly against foes who use wings to fly.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure the movement from getting bullrushed by a Melf's Unicorn Arrow provokes, so you'd get to hit them, bull rush them, and hit them again while they fly out of the square adacent to you. Kinda like throwing a baseball up in the air, and then batting it out of the park...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Well personaly I love to use Poison but that might not be worth it if you are in a higher level campain.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    I'm pretty sure the movement from getting bullrushed by a Melf's Unicorn Arrow provokes, so you'd get to hit them, bull rush them, and hit them again while they fly out of the square adacent to you. Kinda like throwing a baseball up in the air, and then batting it out of the park...
    That's kind of hilarious. And even if it wouldn't normally provoke AoOs, I happen to have Thicket of Blades

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Fell Draining Sonic Snap.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Sinpoder View Post
    Well personaly I love to use Poison but that might not be worth it if you are in a higher level campain.
    Building a Character right now using Poison Spell (Drow of the Underdark) and Corrosive Grasp, Which I think qualifies for Poison Spell. (melee touch attack, it just has... extras).

Every casting of Corrosive Grasp adds 1d8 acid damage, and a poison effect to the next Caster Level number of natural attacks or unarmed strikes. Duration instantaneous.

I would get an assassination weapon.... but I don't used poisoned weaponry, just poisoned magic.

I'm aiming for Energy Admixture, so the poison is less likely to get blocked.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Maximized combust reduced by easy metamagic and metamagic school focus evocation. Nothing like tagging them with 80 fire damage on top of your own damage. Add in a substitution rod to circumvent fire immunity.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Last Laugh View Post
    Vertigo is will disbelief, -2 saves/attacks. SR NO and must make a balance check to move. (dc 10, but it's something)
    Fun fact about Balance: Less than 5 ranks and you're flatfooted.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor