New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3...confirmed?

I just watched the trailer and I'm like, HOLY CRAP!

Now I guess I'll have to wait to play the Baldur's Gate games again, so I know how their endings influence the story in this one.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

So since BGIII is a real thing, what are we hoping to see? What are we afraid of?

For my part, I hope they let the characters and story breathe a bit. Blowing up the city is fun and all, but we ought to get time to look up to Baldur's Gate the city as lowly country folk first.

I also hope they manage to strike the right balance in tone. Baldur's Gate had a very serious story with some real dark aspects, but knew when to crack a joke or smirk at the camera in the smaller moments.

I'd love it if they did some permanent WOTC-sanctioned destruction to the Sword Coast. That region needs to be shaken up a bit. And hijacking a nautiloid would be great!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, I was mostly joking about the illithid thing, since as people said we don't even know if they'll play a central part of just be one of many enemies. But D&D doesn't have a good history with mind control and the mind flayers were a pretty notorious enemy in BG2.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #154

Daemon

Maybe our main character really will have a tie to the current story.

Baldur's Gate 3: Rise of Cthulhu is coming to a digital store near you. Watch the gods duke it out as their earthbound minions do their bidding in a daring gambit for the lives and souls of the men of the Sword Coast.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I mean, I was mostly joking about the illithid thing, since as people said we don't even know if they'll play a central part of just be one of many enemies. But D&D doesn't have a good history with mind control and the mind flayers were a pretty notorious enemy in BG2.
    Given their repeated appearance in BG2 and the kind of open ended question about what they're doing in the BG sewers (and Underdark, I guess) I'm glad they're circling back to them. Helps continuity as far as I'm concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Please excuse me while I run around flailing my arms and screaming in an equal mix of excitement and fear.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Given their repeated appearance in BG2 and the kind of open ended question about what they're doing in the BG sewers (and Underdark, I guess) I'm glad they're circling back to them. Helps continuity as far as I'm concerned.
    I could of course be wrong, but I doubt it'll have anything to do with that.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Default Baldur's Gate 3 confirmed

BG3 is coming. Developed by the same people who made Divinity: Original Sin II. Will use the 5th Edition ruleset. Opening cinematic had a Mindflayer, takes place after the Descent into Avernus storyline.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

It's a frickin' alien invasion of the Gate! Right? I mean, that's what it looks like, anyway. Which is way more awesome of a plot than I would have ever guessed.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    They live in the Underdark, and we only saw Athlaklan sewers in BG2, so the connection there is kinda weak ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

If you take MrRhexx's article on the matter seriously, and assume that the teaser ties to the overall theme of the game and not just a visceral moment, it presents two obvious stories:

Story 1) The Illithid have been hunted to near extinction by the Gith, forced to hide in dark corners in the deepest recesses of the planet, struggling to survive. But a shift in the balance is happening. Maybe the Gith are distracted. Maybe the Illithid have a new strategy in mind. Whatever the cause, the Illithid are forced into action, attacking the surfacers. Leave it to one lone hero, bearing the mythical sword Lilarcor, to fight the cthuloid horde.

Story 2) It is said the Aboleths remember everything, even the birth of the gods. They remember the birth of everything, in fact, except for one race: the Illithid. And they believe this is because the illithid haven't been born yet. They are a race sired in the future, who fled to the past to found an empire while there was still a universe to rule. Where they started, however, nobody knows. Until now, that is. The Lovecraftian gods of psionic might are about to be born, and it will a lone city on the Sword Coast that witnesses its glory. Why? Because the universe hates Baldur's Gate, that's why. Fortunately, a ragtag band of broken heroes will band together to save the day, and at their head is the lost daughter of Baldur's Gate, back and louder than ever before...
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    If they're front and centre in the teaser, it's a safe expectation they'll be the Big Bad for the campaign. There's plenty of scope in illithids and their various thralls and associated critters to make a nice level curve for the main quest (hands up who wants to fight a Braineater Dragon?), with the rest of the sword coast's fauna filling in the gaps.

As like as not they've been hiding from the Gith long enough to recover their strength and bravery and fancy their chances at re-establishing their old empire (or a colony has found the secrets of building Nautiloids again); and the sword coast, weakened by the inciting events of Descent into Avernus, is prime real estate for doing so.

13. - Top - End - #163

Daemon

Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3 confirmed

So the storyline after this current one will be Call of Cthulhu.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I hope they follow AD&D not at all. BG2's "two to four hits and reload because dead" illithid fights were just irritating.
    There's an app protection spell for that (Protection From Magical Weapons) and skeletons have no brains to lose and plenty of bone to pick.

Plus it's BG. There's plenty of precedent for a crucial bossfight or enemy to have a crutch item or ability somewhere in the game that trivializes any encounter against said creature type.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm pretty sure devour brain works completely differently now a days so the whole 3-4 hits and you're dead isn't going to be the issue with mind flayers anymore. All their mind control abilities are going to be the real hassle now, which is going to be annoying enough I suppose.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Damn. Good. News.

17. - Top - End - #167

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    BG3 is coming. Developed by the same people who made Divinity: Original Sin II. Will use the 5th Edition ruleset. Opening cinematic had a Mindflayer, takes place after the Descent into Avernus storyline.
    Sounds good. I'm not sure if 5e is complex enough to justify being a video game, though. 3.5 and prior editions had a lot of moving parts, so managing all of that was actually pretty dang good to do within a turn-based computer game. 5e is simple enough that it could be a board game, and I'm just not sure that a PC version would have any mentionable level of challenge.

That is, unless the campaign ran from levels 1-20. High level campaigns can be complex enough for anyone. The problem then becomes balance. Well, we'll see how it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

18. - Top - End - #168

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Sounds good. I'm not sure if 5e is complex enough to justify being a video game, though.
    The AD&D ruleset in the gold box games was far simpler than 5E, and it was a good CRPG.

You can do things in CRPGs that are really difficult to do at the table, e.g. information hiding (where are all of the goblins who successfully Hid last turn?) and 3D environments with floors, ceilings, bridges, vertical cliffs, etc. That doesn't mean Baldur's Gate will do those things, but there's plenty of potential complexity to justify automating it.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Sounds good. I'm not sure if 5e is complex enough to justify being a video game, though. 3.5 and prior editions had a lot of moving parts, so managing all of that was actually pretty dang good to do within a turn-based computer game. 5e is simple enough that it could be a board game, and I'm just not sure that a PC version would have any mentionable level of challenge.

That is, unless the campaign ran from levels 1-20. High level campaigns can be complex enough for anyone. The problem then becomes balance. Well, we'll see how it goes.
    The main selling-point of a 5e video game for me is that I can play a whole party by myself at any time I have available instead of having to wait for game-day.
    Reminder to self/ passive aggressive reminder to everyone: It's shepherd not shepard, kensei not kensai and rogue not rouge.

20. - Top - End - #170

Interesting! I still play BG2 once every couple of years. That's pretty much all I play anymore lol

What they should do is use the Baldur's Gate title as a universe, with different relevant histories or sagas taking place there. The Bhaalspawn saga is over, but III could start a second saga with the similar style of plot, map logistics, story and NPCs, in a universe populated by the characters from BG and BG2. The PC could or could not be a child of the Time of Troubles too, maybe a depowered Bhaalspawn even.
    Last edited by Clertar; 2019-06-06 at 06:48 PM.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

21. - Top - End - #171

DwarfFighterGuy

Maybe I was weird, but whenever I fought Illithids I just treated potions of genius and potions of (increase dex and int) as health potions. My fighters became so brilliantly smart for about 8 hours

22. - Top - End - #172
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Puh Laden View Post
    The main selling-point of a 5e video game for me is that I can play a whole party by myself at any time I have available instead of having to wait for game-day.
    Sometimes, you want to sit back and let the computer do the GMing for you.

I'm wondering if Larian will put in a campaign creator with this one, akin to Neverwinter Nights had. That might be nice.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jama7301 View Post
    I'm wondering if Larian will put in a campaign creator with this one, akin to Neverwinter Nights had. That might be nice.
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 did, and it's the closest any game like it has ever come to being a proper tabletop D&D experience in a video game. It was... really finicky and had a pretty high learning curve, but an updated version of this with a reasonable facsimile of 5e gameplay and a more intuitive system could make this usable as the best virtual version of D&D ever made.

Why yes I am extremely excited by this news, and fully believe my own hyperbole. D:OS 1 and 2 are some of my favorite CRPG's. I was just as hyped for the idea of a D:OS 3 as BG3. The only CRPG's I've ever encountered with the depth of storytelling Larian's managed are in the Witcher series.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Also, in the trailer, in the far off distance in the sky... Nautiloids.

(That’s legit been confirmed by the devs.)

Spelljammer ships!

SPELLJAMMER.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    Sigh.

Looks like an interesting game, but according to RPS it's not a follow on to the original story. Which it needed to be to call itself '3'. I'm happy with them using the 'Baldur's Gate' moniker, but '3' implies a sequel, which this ain't. Call it 'Baldur's Gate: exciting tagline' or some such if you want to tie into the franchise, just not Baldur's Gate 3.
    That isn't true at all. In the scheme of games you've got some 2 and 3 games that are a continuation of the previous story, but the vast majority are the same setting but a completely new story. It isn't even all that uncommon to have sequels that don't use much of anything that is the same, other than the general theme. Fallout 1, 2, and 3 (and probably 4 but haven't played it) had a similar theme, and a few call-backs but were effectively entirely their own stories. Final Fantasy is on #15 and there is only a few winks to the other games but nothing really tying them together. While Diablo shares a few characters and places, there is not really anything from the previous game that informs the next.

No matter how loved BG 1&2 is, you don't release a sequel 20 years later that only makes sense if you've played the previous games. The previous games are older than a sizeable part of their potential playerbase.

While the trailer was interesting, it really didn't do anything for me in terms of what we might see. While we can be sure it is going to be an "RPG" the label has become rather useless in telling us anything. I'm hoping for a Shadowrun/Wastelands style classic 3rd person RPG, and not a Fallout 3/4, or Mass Effect style first person action RPG, or Diablo style 3rd person action RPG.
    Not sure between open world and more directly story-driven, though I'm going to say I've enjoyed story driven games a lot more than open world in the last decade or so.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    Sigh.

Looks like an interesting game, but according to RPS it's not a follow on to the original story. Which it needed to be to call itself '3'. I'm happy with them using the 'Baldur's Gate' moniker, but '3' implies a sequel, which this ain't. Call it 'Baldur's Gate: exciting tagline' or some such if you want to tie into the franchise, just not Baldur's Gate 3.
    That's not a hard and fast rule in video games. Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Divinity: Original Sin, Neverwinter Nights. Though they take place in the same worlds, they all have different characters.

Anyway, there's more information in this interview.
    Donald S. Crankshaw
    Blog: Back of the Envelope

27. - Top - End - #177

Ok.

Make that an Alien Invasion of Spelljammer Illithids!!

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    There's an app protection spell for that (Protection From Magical Weapons) and skeletons have no brains to lose and plenty of bone to pick.

Plus it's BG. There's plenty of precedent for a crucial bossfight or enemy to have a crutch item or ability somewhere in the game that trivializes any encounter against said creature type.
    PFMW/Mantle blocks Illithid? I never knew! That makes a solo fighter/mage much safer against them.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the interview link.

I hope it's playable without Google Stadia. I try to avoid all Google products and services as much as possible (unavoidable with Android).

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Thanks for the interview link.

I hope it's playable without Google Stadia. I try to avoid all Google products and services as much as possible (unavoidable with Android).
    It at the very least has a steam page, so presumably it will be available on other services at some point.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”