New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1479
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony VII: The Grand Galloping Thread

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    Very good, actually. Only took me a couple hours to put together.

Thinking quickly, I can imagine already:

Twilight Matte
    Grayie Gruel
    Conformity
    Cutie Mark Comrades

Not sure what to do with Rainbow Dash or Fluttershy, though.
    Crimson Dash and Industshy!

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Crimson Dash and Industshy!
    And once glorious Communist shipyards have way, there will finally be Crimsonshy, yes? Yes!

V I am flattered, but all praise must go to glorious infrastructure of Collective, I am but humble servant
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2011-05-19 at 11:50 PM.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

3. - Top - End - #1293

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    And once glorious Communist shipyards have way, there will finally be Crimsonshy, yes? Yes!
    Took me a moment to figure out, and now I need to give you a high five.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Troll in the Playground

So, a re-watch of the Cutie Mark Chronicles has made me aware of a couple of things music-wise.

1.) Rock-farmer-Pinky's music has a jaw harp in it. A. JAW. HARP.

2.) Rainbow Dash's racing music will forever remind me of the F Zero X music

I got nothing for the other ponies, but those two were awesome!
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Banned

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    It would probably be based on whatever it is they're actually good at doing once they set their minds to it. Unless their special talent is indecisiveness, in which case their mark should be a written apology from whatever entity was responsible for that.

Also, I know I'm a page late, but:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Collective equine, collective equine,
    Aaaaahhh...

(Collective equine!)
    I used to wonder who comrades could be,
    (Collective equine!)
    'Til we rose and killed the damned burgoisie!

Grand rebellion!
    Triumph chorus!
    Beloved friends,
    As one victorious!
    Every man shares
    Every property!
    And happiness is mandatory!

Oh,
    Collective equine!
    Do they know you are my loyal comraaaaaaddddeee?
    This comes into mind.

Da! We should make this our Friday activity. Creating the glorious communist regime of Soviet Equestria.

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Troll in the Playground

Y'know, it's funny. I love communism jokes, but I just have no relish for the project of communism-ing the ponies.

(Plus, I did the joke about 'Our Collectively Owned Mule' weeks ago).

So in lieu of my participation in the project, accept a picture of Spider-Man petting Sweetie Belle.

Spoiler
    Show
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

And now they match.
    This picture is much less cute when you realise that Derpy is going to have a huge bruise when she takes that off.

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Ettin in the Playground

Shocking revelation.

Spoiler
    Show

Well, shoot, I didn't know Kevin voiced Trixie.

Also, more happiness.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Grif; 2011-05-20 at 06:48 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1300

I just found this, it is sooo cute. Even my stone heart was warmed.

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Dwarf in the Playground

So after caving in to copious amounts of peer pressure I decided to watch the show this thread is all about and... well... yeah it was alright. I wouldn't watch it again though.

This is my question though, is there something I'm missing? Because the entire internet seems to be going nuts over this show. I read the first post but it was too vague for me. Could I have idividual opinions on this please? Forget the general concensus, I want to know what you, on your own, thought of it.

12. - Top - End - #1302

Quote Originally Posted by FlashRah View Post
    So after caving in to copious amounts of peer pressure I decided to watch the show this thread is all about and... well... yeah it was alright. I wouldn't watch it again though.

This is my question though, is there something I'm missing? Because the entire internet seems to be going nuts over this show. I read the first post but it was too vague for me. Could I have idividual opinions on this please? Forget the general concensus, I want to know what you, on your own, thought of it.
    How many episodes did you watch? Because some are markedly better than others.

My own opinions, formed void of context, was "This is the best thing to happen to television". I can explain that better if I understand what reference points we have in common.

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Dwarf in the Playground

How many episodes did you watch? Because some are markedly better than others.

My own opinions, formed void of context, was "This is the best thing to happen to television". I can explain that better if I understand what reference points we have in common.
    First five and the one with the buffalo/apple tree dispute and the one where Pinkie Pie goes nuts because her friends are ignoring her. That's all I recall from the top of my head.

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Ettin in the Playground

My personnel opinion?
    The best show intended for little girls I have ever seen.
    Is it the greatest work of media I have ever seen, or the best tv show I have ever seen? NO.
    It is a great show, but I wouldn't call it the greatest thing ever.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Troll in the Playground

I think the show has amazing production values, is well written, and is generally the most fun I have watching a non-comedy show.

It has some of the best animation to come out of the west (or the world in general really) in recent years, uses vibrant and detailed art direction that suit the mood of the show perfectly, and is accompanied by brilliant VAs and music. The writing is simple, as expected for a show aimed mostly towards little girls, but it's reminiscent of older cartoons that contained humour for adults as well. It's very similar to Toy Story in this regard, and if you don't like that, you probably don't have a heart (:

While it's definitely not the best show ever, it certainly is one of the best shows to come out in recent years, and in general an excellent show that I imagine will stand the tests of time and still be at least a cult classic many years down the track.

In short, yeah, I like it a lot.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

16. - Top - End - #1306

Quote Originally Posted by FlashRah View Post
    First five and the one with the buffalo/apple tree dispute and the one where Pinkie Pie goes nuts because her friends are ignoring her. That's all I recall from the top of my head.
    Hmm, a fair selection then, can't fault you on that. Well, you asked for my Pony Backstory, AND PONY BACKSTORY YOU SHALL HAVE

I don't watch television. Like, at all. I think the last thing I really watched was Tennant as Dr. Who. But I picked up MLP because I heard a vague rumour that 4chan was getting in on it. I lurked a few threads and was amazed by how polite and civil people were there. That people were acting like human beings on 4chan of all places challenged some of my fundamental assumptions about the world.

And a fair bit of it was this picture, which has somehow become my favourite picture ever:

That's why I sat down and watched it in the first place. And, y'know, I'd heard about the show from 4chan (also, it was My Little Pony) so my expectations were pretty low. And I found myself grinning at the end of the first two episodes. There were bits that had annoyed me, but I agreed that the show wasn't bad. I think I really hit critical pony mass at Episode 11, Winter Wrap Up.

I liked the legitimately funny jokes. I liked the art style. I liked that it gave morals without moralising. I absolutely adored the writing and structure - I'm a Creative Writing student, and one of my personal philosophies is "The very best stories can tell you the entire plot right at the start and have you watch to the end anyway", and this show is excellent at that. And I absolutely loved the voices, especially Rainbow Dash.

That's what made me a fan and drew me in. Beyond that point I was completely submerged in the community and became witness to the 1500+ pieces of oft-spectacular Pony artwork. And some of the stuff that people in this thread have produced is worth being a fan of the show just to get.

Why did it reach it's level of popularity? Perfect conditions for a True Meme hitting an audience that was tired of macho. Weariness with endless explosions, action, violence, suspicion, coolness, hate. An incredibly jaded generation of internet dwellers realised that they could talk about the bits of themselves that liked quiet, gentle things and recieve friendship and kindness rather than sarcasm and contempt.

What the show means, to a lot of people, is vastly disproportionate to the show itself. The show is very good, but it's not the be-all end-all of television. What the show really did was open a door.

That's why it has the largest and most productive fanbase in the history of fanbases.

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    My personnel opinion?
    The best show intended for little girls I have ever seen.
    Is it the greatest work of media I have ever seen, or the best tv show I have ever seen? NO.
    It is a great show, but I wouldn't call it the greatest thing ever.
    ^This.

See, try to think of the last show intended for young girls that you could watch and enjoy. I can think of few, if any at all (mostly because target demographics are tricky, but oh well) that I enjoyed. Most of them just send me into murderous rampages at how they somehow have to remind the audience that this is a show for girls like every five seconds. All-girl cast, boys are dumb and smelly, everything is hearts and rainbows, etc.

This show, forgetting the subject matter for a second, is a show made for that same demographic, but people of all ages are able to enjoy it. It's well-written, well-animated, and just well-done. I still remember when I watched the first episode and thought, "I am somehow not hating this. What's going on?" The fact that it's a My Little Pony show and they still pulled this off? That's just the icing on the cake.

It's not the best show I've seen, and it does have its low points (I'm looking at you, random owl...) but its overall quality is the best I've seen in years for a show of its kind.

FINAL NOTE: It's alright not to like it, it's not for everyone. I suggest giving it time, and try not to watch it super-critically. I found that when I stopped critiquing every episode as I watched them, I started enjoying them a lot more.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Titan in the Playground

I think there's something decidedly addictive about it; somehow, it's clearly hit a commonality in a lot of people (outside the target audience). The fact it's funny, well-written and the characters all have some depth is a strong contender; as well as it being innocent, when so little these days is innocent.

I a theory that there's something about the pony design/artstyle/animation (combined with the characterisation) that particularly appeals to the male hindbrain somehow; sort of an inverse uncanny valley effect, if you will. I'm not psychologist (though many would say I'm mental...) but I wouldn't be surprised if there's something in it, though what, exactly, I couldn't say. Given how rapidly it seems to be taking off (I only learned about it a couple of weeks or so ago, and then from a reference from something else), I just do wonder. Food for thought, anyway.

Altogether though, it's a very well put-together show all round, and it's funny without being surreal (which a lot of the newer "funny" cartoons are, even the ones that are actually watchable). It's not Proper Avatar, W.i.t.c.h or Centurions, but I think must rank extremely high in it's own genera, and it's such a nice, relaxing non-angsty thing to watch.

Edit: Thanqol raises some extremely good points, which may also explain the phenominon.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2011-05-20 at 08:40 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree with everything that Thanqol said. (Except I don't go on 4chan and I'm not a Creative Writing student yet.)

In random other news, my littlest sister is now obsessed with Rainbow Dash. RAINBOW DAAAAAAASH.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

20. - Top - End - #1310

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    I agree with everything that Thanqol said. (Except I don't go on 4chan and I'm not a Creative Writing student yet.)

In random other news, my littlest sister is now obsessed with Rainbow Dash. RAINBOW DAAAAAAASH.
    Okay, this is constant agreement thing is becoming creepy. We must work together to find something we disagree on so we can start quietly hating each other like regular people!

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I think they said everything I was going to. But it's not for everyone, so that's fine. I think you'll find yourself as a Rarity on this chart. But at least you tried it!

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, this is constant agreement thing is becoming creepy. We must work together to find something we disagree on so we can start quietly hating each other like regular people!
    Um... I don't think that regular people quietly hate each other! Ha! Refute that!

And do you want to know something else? I've never liked your spinach puffs! Never!
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to disagree with this sentiment. I must regretfully inform you, sir, that I will continue to agree with you; and in addition, love and respect the **** out of you. I bid a Good Day to you, sir!

(Was that sufficiently disagreeable? ;D )

24. - Top - End - #1314

Um... I don't think that regular people quietly hate each other! Ha! Refute that!

And do you want to know something else? I've never liked your spinach puffs! Never!
    I don't actually think regular people hate each other either. And I only made the spinach puffs because I thought you liked them!

Oh gracious, this is hard. Um. I think the best version of War of the Worlds ever was the Jeff Wayne musical! I didn't like The Witcher! Tennant was the best Doctor!

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't actually think regular people hate each other either. And I only made the spinach puffs because I thought you liked them!
    Oh, if only we had told each other the truth! Then I wouldn't have been forced to scarf down horrifying green pastries, and you wouldn't have had to pretend to be a cynical misanthrope!

Oh gracious, this is hard. Um. I think the best version of War of the Worlds ever was the Jeff Wayne musical! I didn't like The Witcher!
    Well, I didn't like the Witcher either, and I haven't seen the Jeff Wayne version of War of the Worlds so I can't comment, but it seems that-

Tennant was the best Doctor!

It's so truuuuuue, soul bro!
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Ogre in the Playground

Thats it, you're going down.
    Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2011-05-20 at 09:18 AM.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

27. - Top - End - #1317

Oh, if only we had told each other the truth! Then I wouldn't have been forced to scarf down horrifying green pastries, and you wouldn't have had to pretend to be a cynical misanthrope!
    Pretend?

Oh right. Yeah. Totally pretending.

Thats it, you're going down.
    At least someone will defend my honour!

Well, I didn't like the Witcher either, and I haven't seen the Jeff Wayne version of War of the Worlds so I can't comment, but it seems that-
    Here you go. Be culturally enlightened in my name!

It's so truuuuuue, soul bro!
    Oh no! This isn't working! We're too well matched!

I think by this point we either have to make out or start a crime fighting duo.

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Titan in the Playground

Brony 80's style buddy cop movie.

DO IT. DO IT NOW.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Well, I think they said everything I was going to. But it's not for everyone, so that's fine. I think you'll find yourself as a Rarity on this chart. But at least you tried it!

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm Fluttershy.

30. - Top - End - #1320

Oh no! This isn't working! We're too well matched!

"Don't look at them! They're hideous!" Thanqol cried, trying to hide the bright blue wings that had grown from his back. Raz_Fox reached out, gently stroking along the ridges of Thanqols new appendages.

"What are you talking about? They make you look twenty percent cooler..." Raz murmured, looking into Thanqols eyes. Hope sparked in Thanqols eyes, and those wings started to extend, flaring out to their fullest extent, as their faces got closer, and closer, and...

Please don't kill me I'm sorry.