New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Thumbs up The Ultimate OOTS Cookie Cutter Nameless Soldier Tournament: pool phase week 1

They are probably the least important characters in the comic. They only count because of their numbers. Their outfits and even their faces show so little diversity that it becomes impossible to tell Hobgoblin Warrior #1 from Hobgoblin Warrior from Strip #433, Panel 3, may he rest in peace. One of them will get their time to shine. This is the Ultimate OOTS Cookie Cutter Nameless Soldier Tournament!

Because the brave nameless warrior is often a person of little words, I'll let a picture do the explaining:

In week one we vote on Pool A and Pool C. In each pool you can vote for a single contestant, voting happens by embedding the appropriate portrait(s) in your post, or by naming the nameless contestant(s) of your choice. In case of a tie the last vote that was cast before the deadline determines the winner. The first two of each pool will be going through to the next phase of the tournament.

The deadline for this week of voting is 00:00 GMT the night of friday the 20th upon Saturday the 21st of November.

The contestant in Pool A are:

The contestants in Pool C are:

Let the voting commence.

(Contestants were placed in pools completely at random totally honest why would I lie to you by an independent person who was told to go for the warm balls.)

Thanks to ti'esar for helping fill out the roster.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2015-11-13 at 06:26 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: The Ultimate OOTS Cookie Cutter Nameless Soldier Tournament: pool phase week 1

Oh, wow, you actually did the thing.

I always had a soft spot for random nameless extras (the reason I was able to suggest some is that I've actually been trying to assemble a list of character appearances for them), so I approve of this contest.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Ultimate OOTS Cookie Cutter Nameless Soldier Tournament: pool phase week 1

horray! sacrifice voting back on agenda!

Let's see. In D&D wights are probably my favorite undead. So even though I am not a Tsukiko fan, for pool A I will vote for .

For pool C, I don't have a strong opinion, so I'll go with the "strongest" contestant:

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Are you going to add links to the strips these characters appeared in, or are we just cutting on "every single wight" vs "every single goblin"?

If so, I chose wight and zombie
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2015-11-14 at 08:22 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

In pool A, I choose Ninja, because Monkey said so, and in honor of Therkla.

In pool C, I don't remember ever seeing the bearded devil. I like the full helmet dude, but i'll go with the Ogre, like 137ben.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'll abstain on Group A for the moment.

In Group C, though, I'd like to vote for the Lizardfolk EOB Soldier, because I have a soft spot for lizardfolk. But it's got to be the Empire of Tears soldier. Despite only ever appearing in three comics, and in those as essentially just cameos, I really like their "sad" helmet design.
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Oooh, another tournament! I love these so much!

Let's see...
    Group A:
    Group C:

Yeah, so I really like the EOB. There's really no more reason than that behind my vote.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

So many generics, so few fireballs...

For Group A I pledge my vote to: Their childish antics amuse me. As does their mockery of the living.

For Group B I pledge my vote to: All glory to the Weeping King on his Weeping Throne.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laurana View Post
    In pool C, I don't remember ever seeing the bearded devil.
    I believe the bearded devil comes from Redcloak's destruction of the resistance's headquarters.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

I nominate the Ninja in A and the Weepie in C.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    are we just cutting on "every single wight" vs "every single goblin"?
    Yes. You can vote on them because of a particular individual of course.

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    I believe the bearded devil comes from Redcloak's destruction of the resistance's headquarters.
    They also do inbox management. I believe that's all of their appearances.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

12. - Top - End - #12

Pool A: (Goblin)

Pool C: (Lizardfolk)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I vote for the following mooks:

Pool A: Empire of Blood soldier

Pool C: Bearded devil
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2015-11-14 at 09:25 AM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

For pool A, I vote nameless goblin. GOBLIN RIGHTS! For pool C, I vote nameless lizard guy, because lizards.
    I am a Neutral Good Elf Druid/Wizard

: "Disintegrate. Gust of wind. Now can we please resume saving the world?"
    : "Your approval fills me with shame."
    Never, EVER pick up a duck in a dungeon!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'll go with and .

Peelee’s Lotsey

16. - Top - End - #16

Lvl2 Expert, in the tournament of OotS tournaments, this one would win best graphical presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    I'll go with and .
    Ditto for me.

Wights gave us wights-ordered-to-eat-each-other and also wight-in-Thanh's-boots.

The EoB lizardfolk looks like a koopa troopa. Also, I approve of the EoB army's integration of the species.
    Last edited by Bird; 2015-11-14 at 12:08 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post

They also do inbox management. I believe that's all of their appearances.
    Thanks, both to you and ben . The headquarters one was a really good catch, I'd never place them there in my memory.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

A:

C:

Can't beat the classics. That, or I'm just old.
    Suspiciously normal.
    I'm from the Government. We're here to help!
    2nd Age Elven Warrior by Vrythas. Elves are not pansies!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

A: Ninja! Gotta love the one man army.
    C: Bearded Devil! Something about facial hair on an Evil outsider just amuses me so.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Empire of Blood Human Soldier
    Empire of Blood Lizardfolk Soldier
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Group C is looking more and more like it's gonna be the Weepie and the EOB lizardfolk. Yay lizardfolk!

For Group A, I've finally decided to vote for the wight. They're amusing and sometimes disturbing little guys.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

So confused! I can't see the characters in either Pool, or what some people are voting for either... What's going on Am I not worthy to take part!?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by War-Wren View Post
    So confused! I can't see the characters in either Pool, or what some people are voting for either... What's going on Am I not worthy to take part!?
    What browser are you using? Can't you see some of them or all of them (it sounds like all of them)? Some of these pictures don't work on my copy of Opera, I assume it's some sort of protocol problem concerning one of the hosting sites (I uploaded some myself recently, but others come from the oots smiley thread and were made some time ago by other users). So maybe try loading the page on another browser if you have one? I don't know what would cause all of them to be missing... Maybe there's a problem with viewing .png files?

The fact that I had problems with some of the pictures is also one of the reasons I made the big overview picture at the top. Can you see that one? It also lists the candidates for each pool. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    Lvl2 Expert, in the tournament of OotS tournaments, this one would win best graphical presentation.
    Thanks. It seemed like a good way to do justice to the large diversity the giant has given us in characters who's ironic reason for existence is limiting diversity.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2015-11-17 at 11:22 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    What browser are you using? Can't you see some of them or all of them (it sounds like all of them)? Some of these pictures don't work on my copy of Opera, I assume it's some sort of protocol problem concerning one of the hosting sites (I uploaded some myself recently, but others come from the oots smiley thread and were made some time ago by other users). So maybe try loading the page on another browser if you have one? I don't know what would cause all of them to be missing... Maybe there's a problem with viewing .png files?

The fact that I had problems with some of the pictures is also one of the reasons I made the big overview picture at the top. Can you see that one? It also lists the candidates for each pool. Hope that helps.
    I can't see any pictures at all
    I think if someone's just written 'I vote for blah blah blah', then I can see that. But if they've linked to something like an image then those aren't showing. Actually, when I 'quote' your original post I can see the IMG links, just not while it's live...

Shhh, don't tell anyone, but I'm looking at this while at work!
    That's probably it, we're running IE version something or other. It's notoriously rubbish and we even have to use Chrome for some of the companiy's own systems... I'll have a look at home tonight if I can, see if that works :)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by War-Wren View Post
    I can't see any pictures at all
    I think if someone's just written 'I vote for blah blah blah', then I can see that. But if they've linked to something like an image then those aren't showing. Actually, when I 'quote' your original post I can see the IMG links, just not while it's live...

Shhh, don't tell anyone, but I'm looking at this while at work!
    That's probably it, we're running IE version something or other. It's notoriously rubbish and we even have to use Chrome for some of the companiy's own systems... I'll have a look at home tonight if I can, see if that works :)
    I think the hosting site for the pictures is blocked at your workplace. When I'm at work I can't see some pictures either. If you can see the IMG links, try accessing them directly; your browser should show some error message that you can't access the site for whatever reason.
    "Really? The premature villain gloat? I'm a failure as a parent." - Loki, OotS #1012
    "The good news is that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing." - Blackwing, OotS #1020

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A: Ninja
    C: Weepie

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A: Wight
    C: Bearded Devil

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A: Ninja
    C: Weepie

Go, Masked Squad!
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

The voting has ended, and the results are in.

The scores in Pool A are:
    VII
    V
    III*
    III
    -

The orc, coincidentally the least cookie cutter contestant, receives no votes at all. The wight and the ninja move through to the knockout phase.

The results in Pool C are:
    VI
    V
    III*
    III
    I

The western continent puts its mark on this pool. The zombie takes a headshot.

(An * denotes the difference made by the most recent vote cast.)

With the winners of this week known, let's move on to part two to see who they will face in the next round.

By the way: is it just me or do all those losers look a little unhappy with the results?
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2015-11-20 at 07:05 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

As I'm not only having problem with seeing pics, could you write also names? I missed half of votes this way, and I don't know who won.

Thanks in advance.