New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: General Kickstarter Thread, Mark I

Backed my first kickstarter, decided to get in on that Reaper Minis one. Damn that's a lot of minis. Guess I gotta learn to paint them!

2. - Top - End - #152

Minis painting is lots of fun, and the reaper kickstarter is a great way to get started. Just make sure you check out the advice on the reaper forums on painting bones minis. You have to paint em up a little differently than metal ones. Fortunately the reaper forum is full of friendly people who are happy to help and offer advice.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I am surprised not to see this here, although perhaps I missed it. Unwritten is a new RPG being designed, using the Fate Core engine and based off the Myst/Riven world. It still has one week to go! The good news is that it's already funded, meaning that you will be getting something - along with benefits from the stretch goals. $10 for the PDF and $50 for the softcover book is a pretty decent price, if you're interested. They also have their own forums, if you want to ask questions or get clarifications before putting money down on it.

This isn't the original people who created Myst. (They actually have their own video game they're making.) However, they do have the license to produce the game, and apparently have some good talent on board - including the person who wrote the Myst books to write some fiction for the RPG. Look it over, perhaps post on the forum, and judge for yourself if it's worth spending money on.

I'm definitely interested in getting a copy, though.

Note that this project is completely different from Unwritten, the video game RPG from a TES modding community.)
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

So for any playgrounders who have not heard, Monte Cook and Bruce Cordell are working together on a new game "The Strange":

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...cordell-and-mo

If you are a fan of Monte's older work like Dark*Matter, and like story driven games, this is a sweet deal. It is based on the same core system as Numenara, but with a Modern Earth setting, but with "recursions" that let you leave earth and visit places with any genre or rules you want.

Just a week to go, and the pledge levels are filling out nicely. Be sure to check the chart at the bottom, not the sidebar text, to see all the sweet rewards at each level.
    To Prevent Serious Injury: Be Awesome.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

There's a Kickstarter for a Knights of the Dinner Table Live Action Series. Just thought I'd mention it. For something so beloved, they seem a bit underfunded at this point.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

6. - Top - End - #156
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    There's a Kickstarter for a Knights of the Dinner Table Live Action Series. Just thought I'd mention it. For something so beloved, they seem a bit underfunded at this point.
    KODT does not get enough love; the only folks I know who follow it are those who've been with it for years, though it remains one of the best comics about geeks that I've read.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    KODT does not get enough love; the only folks I know who follow it are those who've been with it for years, though it remains one of the best comics about geeks that I've read.
    Hilariously I got into it when the library got rid of around 10 bundles of trouble.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm doing a Kickstarter for a project called Derbalan Shuffle. Here are some links with good information:
    The Kickstarter
    The Website

It's a rules-light RPG that uses cards for character abilities and random chance. It makes a terrific one-shot and it's great for hilarious campaigns. You can pick classes like the Elementalist, who masters the three fundamental elements of reality (rock, paper, and scissors).

There's also monsters like the chinchilla con queso and the possessed pants. Combat is quick and often hilarious. I'll leave you with some artwork.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Watch the proof of concept video and you might understand why.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    What a needlessly insulting way to say that you don't like something.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

I had no prior experience with KODT and I did find the pitch quite nice - also it is only a proof of concept, so I would assume the final product will be more polished.
    I didn't back though - but that has more to do with the rewards, In my eyes $35 for the digital download in only 480p quality (or if I understand correctly $70 for a HD download) seems kinda expensive (maybe I would pay that if I were a fan - but as I said I really do not know KODT and to try it out it is too much imo). In addition I just have a slight negative opinion of campaigns that go way longer than 30 days.
    The most expensive Web Series I backed is Space Janitors (still going, $25 gets instant access to an archive containing HD downloads of the first two seasons and a bunch of bonus material - and to Season 3 when it is finished)

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

12. - Top - End - #162

MindFlayer

Bumping the thread because I literally just found out about this Kickstarter (I only got issue 204 today, where they mention it). I backed it straight away. The word needs spreading.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

Iron Edda War has launched, and looks pretty sweet.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...or-fate-coretm

Basically - you're a Viking Warrior who bonds yourself to giant dwarf-crafted mecha made of the bones of giants. Which is a hell of an elevator pitch, to me. Based on Fate Core.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...or-fate-coretm

Basically - you're a Viking Warrior who bonds yourself to giant dwarf-crafted mecha made of the bones of giants. Which is a hell of an elevator pitch, to me. Based on Fate Core.
    It also includes basically every system under the sun as a stretch goal including Pathfinder, AD&D, Mutants and Masterminds, Pendragon, and Savage World.
    Level 3 feat: improved monster class pimping

RIP North_Ranger you will be missed

15. - Top - End - #165
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

This wasn't here, so I guess I'll mention it - customizable 3D printed miniatures. It seems like a darn cool idea, and I'll be backing.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Arcane Synthesis: A Blended-Genre Anthology
    Eight tales blending magic, mystery, advanced technology, superheroes and horror, set within our vast, blended-genre RPG Cosmoverse.

Hi all,
    Check out our fiction anthology (Only 8 days left to fund!)

With Ed Greenwood, Steven Schend, Darrin Drader, and other great authors and artists on board (and a terrific batch of rewards starting at $1), we're excited and chomping at the bit to move forward! We've got a ways to go, but I know we can make it if we stand together!

All of our stories are based on our Cosmoverse Campaign Setting and Cosmothea Blended-Genre Roleplaying Game. If we can get our fiction to fly then we'll be moving forward with our RPG products and more fiction in the days ahead!
    Last edited by QT Games; 2014-01-26 at 03:34 AM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...top-miniatures

Its all about using 3d printers too make custom mini's so thought I'd throw a link down too get it mentioned
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

18. - Top - End - #168
    Pixie in the Playground

I pledged, and it looks super-cool. I'm hoping it unlocks additional settings as well. Next up is Dungeon World, written by Paulk Stefko.
    Kevin Kulp
    TimeWatch, GUMSHOE investigative time travel RPG

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Piratecat View Post
    I pledged, and it looks super-cool. I'm hoping it unlocks additional settings as well. Next up is Dungeon World, written by Paulk Stefko.
    Hey man! I backed your TimeWatch just the other day, which looks incredibly fun.

If you're still poking around - I am 100% unfamiliar with Gumshoe. Do I need something in addition to TimeWatch, or am I good?

20. - Top - End - #170
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey man! I backed your TimeWatch just the other day, which looks incredibly fun.

If you're still poking around - I am 100% unfamiliar with Gumshoe. Do I need something in addition to TimeWatch, or am I good?
    Hey, thank you so much! That's fantastic. We're doing shockingly well - 8 days in, we're at something like 1025 backers and 1100% funded. Pinch me.

TimeWatch stands completely alone. I'm using my own version of the GUMSHOE rules that I've tuned for investigation and time travel. I'll also have guidelines for yoinking in rules from other GUMSHOE games, or for using time travel elsewhere, but that's just in the "hacking the game" section.

The download packet has a bunch of quick-start cheat sheets in there. One of them is based off my GUMSHOE 101 sheet that's floating around on the internet, and it does a pretty good job of distilling how to play down to a single page.

A favor? As someone entirely new to the rules, you're kind of an ideal guinea pig test subject playtester; be sure to holler if you read the Jurassic Edition (you can download it in Update #1) and let me know if you find anything that isn't clear and fun to read. I will be delighted to hear what you think, good and bad.

And of course, folks are welcome to holler with questions if I can be of any use.

---

While I'm here, folks should go check out Will Hindmarch's new project "Project: Dark." It's a stealth RPG that is at 200% funding after one day. Looks really cool. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...o/project-dark
    Last edited by Piratecat; 2014-01-29 at 01:31 PM.
    Kevin Kulp

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

A favor? As someone entirely new to the rules, you're kind of an ideal guinea pig test subject playtester; be sure to holler if you read the Jurassic Edition (you can download it in Update #1) and let me know if you find anything that isn't clear and fun to read. I will be delighted to hear what you think, good and bad.

And of course, folks are welcome to holler with questions if I can be of any use.
    Cool deal; I'll send feedback either here or through ENWorld.

While I'm here, folks should go check out Will Hindmarch's new project "Project: Dark." It's a stealth RPG that is at 200% funding after one day. Looks really cool. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...o/project-dark
    Yeah, I am backing that one for now, but I'm getting cold feet in part due to the sheer number of projects I'm backing. (You, Iron Edda, Tiny Epic Kingdoms, Eldritch Skies, and that one.)

One of the things I almost demand from an RPG kickstarter these days - at least, the ones that look really unique - is a rules preview of some sort, much like you're providing. For a concept like a stealth RPG (which has never been done right) this is even more important. I dunno yet.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Pixie in the Playground

True. I've been cautious about backing projects that don't have at least part of the game already written. It really helps ratchet down completion risk.

EDIT: I sat down this morning and listed out what stretch goals we've unlocked at the 10 day mark. Currently unlocked:

- An additional TW postcard for $50 pledge levels and up
    - A TimeWatch musical theme by James Semple
    - Hardback book
    - Low-art tablet edition (with 3Pub & mobi)
    - Self-calculating PDF character sheets by Matthew Breen
    - Expanded race section
    - Historical NPCs
    - Crossover rules with TimeWatch and other GUMSHOE books
    - Campaign style expansion: Pulp action
    - Campaign style expansion: A Single Leap (1-2 players)
    - Campaign style expansion: Rebellion
    - Campaign style expansion: Time Tourist, by Rose Bailey (of White Wolf and Onyx Path)
    - Campaign style expansion: Conspiracy
    - Mission hook by Kenneth Hite
    - Mission hook by Heather Albano
    - Mission hook (Pulp) by Corey Reid (of Dino-Pirates of Ninja Island)
    - Mission hook (Time Tourist) by John Adamus
    - Mission hook (Conspiracy) by Kennon Bauman

Hey, the actual game is starting to match my vision for it!
    Last edited by Piratecat; 2014-01-31 at 01:20 PM.
    Kevin Kulp

23. - Top - End - #173
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Yay I got mentioned on the Giant In The Playground forums!!! :)

24. - Top - End - #174
    Bugbear in the Playground

I didn't see this one mentioned in here and I thought it looked pretty cool.

Amp: Year One is a supers RPG set very shortly after superpowers begin appearing for the first time. Characters aren't defined as being heroes or villains.
    If build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Why is nobody talking about Far Away Land yet?!

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Latest update has an awesome Actual Play report of the game. As you advance through levels, you tick off more cards to add to your deck, which expands your capabilities.

Some of the updates (backers-only!) have chunks of information about how the game works. If you pledge $1, that's enough to have a look. To be honest, I'm backing this off of word-of-mouth reputation and off of several concepts I'm seeing associated with it.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Bump in the Night, A Role Playing Game of Paranormal Investigation

Have you guys heard about this game? I played in one of it's betas over the summer and had a very fun time. The creator has put it up on Kickstarter to get money to publish it, so you can see it here. Bump in the Night

It is like Supernatural and Paranormal Activity had a role play baby. You play with the other's in a research team tracking down the weird and trying to forward your agenda (Our group were trying to become rich and famous off of it) Different members have different abilities as you try to learn about the ghost or demon or whatever and stop it from doing bad things. I had tons of fun.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jsemple View Post
    Yay I got mentioned on the Giant In The Playground forums!!! :)
    Yes, because your work is freakin' amazing!

TimeWatch just unlocked a $55K stretch goal. 9 days to go!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ime-travel-rpg
    Kevin Kulp

29. - Top - End - #179
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Don't see this mentioned yet, but Center Stage Miniatures has 10 days left on their "Tome of Horrors 2" Kickstarter, with lots of quirky old-school minis, most of which will be done in metal and a few in resin.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...sters-from-the

The downside is, they're still fulfilling their previous Tome of Horrors kickstarter. I wish they'd waited until fulfillment was done before launching another one, but the greens for ToH1 by and large look great so I'm showing this one some support. They lose a few points because of the timing, but I like the assortment of minis being represented.

Turnout is fairly light right now but I'm hoping for a ramp up at the end to at least achieve the stretch goals that have been revealed so far. Be sure to read the front page; they've sweetened the deal quite a bit in the main description especially for the $200 level, but Kickstarter doesn't let them edit the original sidebar rewards description once someone has claimed one.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

This one just looks like a lot of fun if you want a bunch of dungeon maps and cool ideas.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...eluxe-dungeons