New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

Okay, so the Peace Sells... Buy Who's Buying? 25th Anniversary album turned out to be a solid purchase, because it came with a great album and the unreleased concert from 1987, where 'Deth played Killing is My Business... And Business is Good. So I can check that entire album off my "must own" list. I never really liked the rest of it in the first place. Kind of "meh".
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VI: We're So Kvlt, We Have Frostbite On Our Devil Horn Fingers

... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eyeofsaulot View Post
    So I'm probably the only one 'round here who cares what Ihsahn is doing these days, but in case I'm not, his fourth solo album is coming (June 19th)! I like how he decided continue using the Saxophoning talents of Shining's Jorgen Munkeby.
    Yes! So much yes!

I noticed that Eremita will feature a performance by Jeff Loomis, formerly from Nevermore. It's only fitting, since Loomis' latest album features a performance by Ihsahn. Personally, I hope Loomis and Ihsahn continue working together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Troll in the Playground

I think I should give Ihsahn another try.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

5. - Top - End - #875
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marillion View Post
    Yes! So much yes!

I noticed that Eremita will feature a performance by Jeff Loomis, formerly from Nevermore. It's only fitting, since Loomis' latest album features a performance by Ihsahn. Personally, I hope Loomis and Ihsahn continue working together.
    Huh, didn't know Loomis actually left the band. I've never been a huge Nevermore fan, though. For whatever reason, I'm hardly ever in the right mood to enjoy their style. I'll admit that Dreaming Neon Black *is* quite fantastic and whenever I do get that rare Nevermore craving, that's the album I turn to. And that song you linked was pretty damn cool. I might just check out his solo stuff.

Did you ever get into Peccatum (i.e. the band Ihsahn was in with his wife before he went solo)?

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    I think I should give Ihsahn another try.
    My guess if you were gonna like any of them, it'd most likely be angL. Though maybe After's saxy-ness would appeal to you.

Basically, I suggest not trying to get into his solo stuff with The Adversary. The prominent symphonic elements produced from a cheap-sounding keyboard and over-the-top theatrics don't exactly make a good first impression. Not to suggest that I don't like his debut. The capstone of the album "The Pain is Still Mine" is an enthralling epic of a song. Just, y'know, really theatrical and ultimately not particularly indicative of the direction he would go with his next two albums.
    It began - and ends - with Pylon. Pylon stands in the doorway, beckoning me in.

my last.fm
    my rym

6. - Top - End - #876
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    That was so terrible.

My guess if you were gonna like any of them, it'd most likely be angL. Though maybe After's saxy-ness would appeal to you.

Basically, I suggest not trying to get into his solo stuff with The Adversary. The prominent symphonic elements produced from a cheap-sounding keyboard and over-the-top theatrics don't exactly make a good first impression. Not to suggest that I don't like his debut. The capstone of the album "The Pain is Still Mine" is an enthralling epic of a song. Just, y'know, really theatrical and ultimately not particularly indicative of the direction he would go with his next two albums.
    I own The Adversary, angL, and an Adversary t-shirt. I just came back to metal and was like hrm this doesn't appeal to me anymore.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

7. - Top - End - #877
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Dat MIDI...

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ogre in the Playground

just got back from school trip
    oh my god
    sooo much black metal!

Oo

faulty your suggestions were killer
    i also tried out Deathspell Omega who are awesome and more kvlt than guys like Anorexia Nervosa
    admittedly i prefer AN and other symph black bands to the more lo fi style of guys like DO

so more post-black or symphonic black metal for me to try?
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

9. - Top - End - #879
    Orc in the Playground

I own The Adversary, angL, and an Adversary t-shirt. I just came back to metal and was like hrm this doesn't appeal to me anymore.
    Ah man, I want an Ihsahn t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    How about Solefald?

my last.fm
    my rym

10. - Top - End - #880
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Dat MIDI...
    MIDI is totally legit and I definitely have no bias on the matter. None at all. Nope.
    Also known as Jarbis

11. - Top - End - #881
    Troll in the Playground

just got back from school trip
    oh my god
    sooo much black metal!

Oo

faulty your suggestions were killer
    i also tried out Deathspell Omega who are awesome and more kvlt than guys like Anorexia Nervosa
    admittedly i prefer AN and other symph black bands to the more lo fi style of guys like DO

Which DsO album did you listen to?

Ah man, I want an Ihsahn t-shirt.
    What size are you?
    Last edited by Faulty; 2012-04-06 at 05:49 PM.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

12. - Top - End - #882
    Orc in the Playground

From that description, sounds like you'd like 'Scenes from Hell' by Sigh, if you haven't already checked them out. It's a pretty unique album of symphonic/experimental black metal - listen to a bit here.

I found out about them after I went to see them play a show with Winterfylleth and Wodensthrone. They're a fantastic live act. Their keyboardist was shooting fire out of his sleeves, they burned a Bible and during the encore the saxophonist/vocalist got a candle and started dripping hot wax all over herself. Fun show.

On the subject of shows: I'm going to see Agalloch and Fen on Wednesday. And none of you are. Ha.

... wait, actually, I'm pretty sure Nameless is as well. But apart from him, none of you are. Ha.
    cool avatar by araveugnitsuga

----

Spoiler
    Show

and what

13. - Top - End - #883
    Orc in the Playground

Which DsO album did you listen to?
    Heh, apparently not any of the ones most people gravitate toward.

What size are you?
    I wear what I've concluded is average metalhead size: Large. I get Medium if I'm feeling determined about getting into shape this summer, XL if they ran out of Larges. You looking to sell or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Snares View Post
    I found out about them after I went to see them play a show with Winterfylleth and Wodensthrone. They're a fantastic live act. Their keyboardist was shooting fire out of his sleeves, they burned a Bible and during the encore the saxophonist/vocalist got a candle and started dripping hot wax all over herself. Fun show.

On the subject of shows: I'm going to see Agalloch and Fen on Wednesday. And none of you are. Ha.
    When Sigh last came around to the central Texas area, a tornado warning scared them off. And the last time Agalloch came around was for a badge-only SXSW show (side note: SX badges are absurdly expensive). So enjoy that concert for the rest of us, eh?

my last.fm
    my rym

14. - Top - End - #884
    Dwarf in the Playground

I reccomend Knust. It's Norweigan.
    Also I reccomend A Cloud Forest whom are American.
    Other bands will come to me in stream of conscious format.

Addendum:

Winter Grief Russian? (Maybe Siberian)
    Coldworld German
    Hovert Not sure where they are from
    Hypomanie Canadian---definitely the most Post of them all
    Gallowbraid USA
    Last edited by godspit; 2012-04-07 at 04:47 AM.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm. I've got Agathodaimon, their previous albums had some symphonic touches, and the odd album by Borknagar. But they're more progressive black.

Also, I've only recently gotten Vreid's new album, but holy balls it is good.
    Last edited by Feytalist; 2012-04-07 at 02:04 AM.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

16. - Top - End - #886
    Dwarf in the Playground

As for awesome live shows, Behemoth and Watain are coming to my local club in about two weeks. So excited!!!
    Last edited by godspit; 2012-04-07 at 04:40 AM.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Troll in the Playground

Heh, apparently not any of the ones most people gravitate toward.

I wear what I've concluded is average metalhead size: Large. I get Medium if I'm feeling determined about getting into shape this summer, XL if they ran out of Larges. You looking to sell or something?
    I gravitate to every DsO album. <3 Anyway, I'm considering it. It's like 6 years old though.

Quote Originally Posted by godspit View Post
    As for awesome live shows, Behemoth and Watain are coming to my local club in about two weeks. So excited!!!
    I might be able to catch that and I'm srsly considering it, though I'm only a fan of old Behemoth.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

18. - Top - End - #888
    Dwarf in the Playground

While I am very excited for Behemoth, I'm mostly looking forward to Watain as I've been enjoying them a lot recently.

Also it's three days before my birthday, so it's a fantastic birthday present to myself. I might even hum "Happy birthday" in the middle of the set.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Titan in the Playground

*pops in*

OHAI DAR!
    SO I HURD U LYKE POST-BLACK AND SIMFONIK!

Winterhord
    Bishop of Hexen
    Sienbenburgen
    Fen
    Sigh
    Austere
    Have you listened to Alcest yet? NO!? WTFMAN!?
    Farsot
    Shyy
    Amesoeurs

... wait, actually, I'm pretty sure Nameless is as well. But apart from him, none of you are. Ha.
    Words cannot fathom how much I'm looking forward to it.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-04-07 at 06:50 AM.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Ogre in the Playground

thanks for the great suggestions guys!
    french bands are especially loved!
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by godspit View Post
    While I am very excited for Behemoth, I'm mostly looking forward to Watain as I've been enjoying them a lot recently.

Also it's three days before my birthday, so it's a fantastic birthday present to myself. I might even hum "Happy birthday" in the middle of the set.
    What's your favorite Watain album?

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

22. - Top - End - #892
    Dwarf in the Playground

Currently I really dig "Sworn to the Dark", although "Lawless Darkness" and "**** your god" EP are tied for close seconds. The only reason "Sworn to the Dark" wins out is because I am hopelessly in love with Stellarvore

Just how that song is paced and how everything works is amazing to me.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Troll in the Playground

I think I might catch that concert, really. I imagine it'll be fun regardless.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

24. - Top - End - #894
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have heard really good things about their live set. A friend of mine went to one of their concerts the last time they were in the area and he said that they were awesome live and were a ton of fun. He talked briefly with the singer and apparently he's a pretty cool guy.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Hmm. I've got Agathodaimon
    Good god, I feel like I got rickrolled.

I gravitate to every DsO album. <3 Anyway, I'm considering it. It's like 6 years old though.
    Cool, just lemme know.

Winterfylleth and Wodensthrone
    Wodesthrone's on my short list. And I just checked out Winterfylleth thanks to your suggestion. Awesome. I'm a sucker for anything about pre-Norman Invasion England. Wish they'd do some lyrics in Anglo-Saxon, though.

On that note, does anyone know of any bands who do their lyrics in Old or Middle English?
    Last edited by eyeofsaulot; 2012-04-08 at 01:22 AM.

my last.fm
    my rym

26. - Top - End - #896
    Ogre in the Playground

My Metal Blog

27. - Top - End - #897
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've been listening to a lot of organ music lately, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any metal bands that used an organ. Type of metal doesn't really matter. I'd prefer an actual organ, but I figure that probably won't happen, so bands that use keyboards/synthesizers to make an organ tone are coll too.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nomrom View Post
    I've been listening to a lot of organ music lately, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any metal bands that used an organ. Type of metal doesn't really matter. I'd prefer an actual organ, but I figure that probably won't happen, so bands that use keyboards/synthesizers to make an organ tone are coll too.
    How bout...

Every symph metal band ever?

Specifically rhapsody of fire and christopher lees metal albums

Yes christopher lee has released metal albums
    My Metal Blog

29. - Top - End - #899
    Dwarf in the Playground

He did? Please tell me they are Dracula themed. That would make my millennium.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nomrom View Post
    The most prominent use of organs you're gonna find will be in over-the-top Gothic metal outfits like Moi Dix Mois. Organs and harpsichords abound. Pretty sure Cradle of Filth uses organs a lot. They'd probably have the budget to use real ones, to boot.

my last.fm
    my rym