New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Random little fun thing about DoaS no one mentioned yet: the bots singing Dasiy, Daisy. I giggled.
    I completely missed that. I can't help but wonder how I missed that.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    He describes it as a myth he never believed in. Exactly in line with what I said.
    Eh, watching it again, he does begin his description by saying that "Legend tells", so I'll grant that makes more sense now.

And it gave him abilities which made no sense in that context. If he'd saved the world through psychic abilities granted by that, I wouldn't be arguing as much (Though, note, 'as much', there are other issues with that plan working).
    Psychic abilities are a fairly vague category, which depending on the setting can include things like telekinesis and more.

The elements of that escape? Time travel. It's the premise of the show, it doesn't really need additional setting up. My assumption has always been that such a paradox might be hazardous in a universe which wasn't shortly going to cease existing anyway, but such an escape is actually apparently in line with current theories about the possibility of time travel in any case, so...
    Additionally, and significantly, the Doctor's escape from the Pandorica was not the entire resolution of the universe-threatening problems the finale had to deal with. Whereas Tinkerbell Jesus Doctor pretty much literally hand-waved the Master's victory away.
    Time Travel that manifests in a paradox that just happens somehow. Sure it's a justifiable handwave for Doctor Who, but it's still nothing more than saying "A Wizard did it". This is notably different from an explainable plan, which is why the Tinkerbell Doctor scene isn't so much of a handwave of beating the master, but actually doing it.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Orc in the Playground

The Big Bang was justified. The Universe is collapsing into a single point, and they're already in the throes of a paradox that's broken time itself. The Doctor wasn't breaking the rules by popping back and forth and getting Rory to bust him out of the Pandorica - he was exploiting the fact that the rules were broken beyond all recognition, and there was nothing stopping him from cheating.

The Archangel Network, though, felt much more handwave-y. The Doctor draws energy off the psychic connection between all humans and uses it to repair the damage done to himself, and also do his glowy floaty indestructible aura... fine, okay, not the wierdest concept the show has introduced us to, but some suggestion that this was possible before it suddenly happened would have been nice. Use the network to project hope for the Doctor back into the Master's brain and disable him long enough for Martha to destroy the Paradox machine, or something like that. Having him turn happy feelings into a Super Saiyan attack was a bit much.
    ...but of course that's just my opinion.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    The finale of each series had no meaningful link to the rest of the episodes.
    I disagree. Consider season one's Parting of the Ways...

Spoiler
    Show
    Dalek - a new audience is introduced to the Doctor's oldest enemy. More details of the Time War (alluded to briefly in Rose and The End of the World are given, filling in this new Doctor's backstory.

Later on, the Daleks take advantage of the Doctor's meddling during The Long Game to tighten their control over the earth.

In Father's Day, Rose meets her dad - which she mentions to Jackie during the final episode, spurring her mother into action when she realises that, yes, Pete Tyler would never give up when there's still some crazy scheme left to try.

Boom Town: Rose learns that she can access the heart of the TARDIS, allowing for her rescue of the Doctor. She then sets-up the Bad Wolf meme.

SEASON TWO:

Tooth and Claw: the origins of Torchwood. Ol' Queen Vic readies the nation's defences against the Doctor's return...

School Reunion Mickey boards the TARDIS, at the urging of Sarah Jane - "Oh, go on, you need a Smith on board!"

Rise of the Cybermen: introduces, er, you know. Another meme-y mention of Torchwood; sounds random, but establishes both that Torchwood exists on the parallel earth and that it's not such a closely guarded secret (if it's even secret at all). Obviously important for the Cybermen's later invasion. Mickey stays behind, to in order to become somewhat bad-ass.

SEASON THREE...

Well, I'll just type 'Chameleon Arch' and leave it at that.

Basically, Davies (IMO) did not have story arcs. He had foreshadowing, and quite limited foreshadowing at that. What we have now are actual story arcs, where the plot develops every few episodes to build to the finale (which do, unfortunately, tend to fall apart just as much as Davies ones...).
    I'm broadly in agreement with all of that, except that I think it's a good thing.

IMO, not really having arcs made the show more accessible. You had basically stand-alone tales that a newcomer could enjoy, while still rewarding the viewers who watched all the way through the season.

By contrast, I'm not enjoying Moffat's arc. It feels like he's got a totally epic tale that he's determined to tell, and we will all love it, dagnabbit! He's gambling that we'll enjoy it enough to stick with it, and, in my case at least, he's lost that bet.

I'll continue to watch for the good stand-alone episodes, like Dinosaurs on a Spaceship - but only because I can do so for free and it's on when I'm eating my dinner. I can't say that I really care anymore.
    Last edited by Senator Cybus; 2012-09-09 at 11:36 PM.
    I have a cookie now! (::) I've licked it, so no backsies.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Here's some more fuel for the Moffat/Davis war.

Doctor Who writers:
    Does your story make an ordinary thing scary? Yes
    Does it have a casual relationship with causality? Yes
    Does it have a clever gimmick? Yes
    Does it have funny dialogue? Yes
    Does it have a smart and witty woman? Yes

Congratulations, You are Stephen Moffat. This is all you can write
    Are you also suggesting that if the answer to all those questions is "No", then you're Russell T Davis?

Anyway, in general, I don't like Moffat as showrunner. First, I don't much care for the season-long arcs in the first place, and frankly, Moffat's havent' been that great. The cracks were largely tacked-on to most of the episodes that year, and by the end of last season, I was thoroughly sick of River Song.

Second, he is always going on about how upcoming events are going to change our entire view of the show, or top everything that's come before. Here's an idea--just deliver good episodes, and you won't have to bragg so much.

6. - Top - End - #366

Something that hit me at the fridge post-DoaS:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rory's dad seemed a little too shocked at the Doctor. It's a perfectly believable reaction from any normal person, a bit less so from someone who saw Amy's imaginary friend show up at her wedding. Even if you assume the senior Williams wasn't there for some reason, it's impossible that he wouldn't have heard about it.

Which does encapsulate a lot of my thinking on Moffat. The man can do incredible things lending his hand to an episode, but he's more interested in what's immediately cool than building things up properly.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    No, but it effects my response to the episode.
    I always wondered why he didn't just attach that manipulator to his leg so that when the door was closing he raised his leg so he could touch the manipulator with his nose and reappeared on the other side of the room and is only noticed once the pandorica is shut when the aliens turns around to see him heading out of the door.

Handled properly that would have been hilarious!

What they did, never felt right.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reluctance View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rory's dad seemed a little too shocked at the Doctor. It's a perfectly believable reaction from any normal person, a bit less so from someone who saw Amy's imaginary friend show up at her wedding. Even if you assume the senior Williams wasn't there for some reason, it's impossible that he wouldn't have heard about it.

Which does encapsulate a lot of my thinking on Moffat. The man can do incredible things lending his hand to an episode, but he's more interested in what's immediately cool than building things up properly.
    That's a very good point, and is a big part of the problem with Moffat's arcs, I think. I really don't want season-long arcs anyway, but they wouldn't be so bad if they were done well.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reluctance View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    The man goes from fixing a lightbulb to entering a time machine without twitching a muscle, then from his son's house to a spaceship in the future (populated by dinosaurs) just by walking out of a door. All of this without the slightest warning, not even a the usual shudder or cello/key noise. And he's walking around with a queen of Egypt and a turn of the 20th big game hunter, and he's the only one there not treating it like just another day at the office... Just how shocked would be "shocked enough", regardless of whether or not he'd seen the Tardis appear and disappear before? That was from the outside, and with some (albeit seemingly insane) buildup.

Also, Moffat didn't write this. Edited it, I'm sure, but didn't write it.

Curly
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neffi didn't seem that strange to me. As you yourself have pointed out before, Eleven is an attractive sort. And when he gets going he's enough to make straight men see rainbows and gay Silurians take notice. Now take an intelligent, strong-willed woman in a loveless marriage and position her to see him at his best. Plus there's that whole "I didn't die after all!" euphoria at the end of an adventure, which is pretty heady stuff the first time you really feel it. She's no different from Amy at the end of Flesh and Stone in that regard. Not a laudable bit of behavior, but an explicable one.

As for the whole Nef/Solomon situation, I figured it was just a case of noblesse oblige and honor before reason. She feels she already owes him for the locust, and cannot accept the idea of him getting killed protecting her on top of that. I'm guessing Amy would have been telling her pre-jump not to bother - the Doctor was angry at that point, and anything Solomon did after that point would only make his comeuppance just that much more definitive. Nef was too new of a companion at that point, however, and didn't believe it.

As for River - of course she's more than a bit creepy. She's an obsessive psychopathic assassin whose entire life literally since before she was born has been built around one man. All told, she's rather more palatable than she should be by any rights. Also consider that her most obnoxious behavior is in Let's Kill Hitler and The Wedding of River Song, which are her at her absolute youngest, where she at the zenith of her immaturity. We know she matures rather well eventually, although she dies just about where she becomes likable.

My take on DoaS:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like most people here, I assumed the episode was going to be stupid fun just for the purpose of letting the Doctor light up like Matt Smith in a hat store. In truth, however, it was a fair bit more interesting than that, with some rather darker elements than usual (an enemy actually killing a hostage, the Doctor actively arranging said enemy's death and brutally scrapping the robots). Death is common in Doctor Who, but it usually comes as either mass murder or heroic sacrifice or willful stupidity, all of which involve a level of emotional anesthetic. A villain just turning around and blasting something the Doctor has shown fondness for just for the sake of hurting him is a rare and vicious thing.

The robots were a wasted aspect. Maybe it's just because I'm not a Brit myself (and thus the comic duo are unknown to me), but there's just not enough use of them to justify their personalities and they're dropped without fanfare. As with A Good Man Goes To War, the extra allies interesting and complex and really should have been given an episode to themselves prior because they're much better than the usual allies the Doctor gets. They too feel wasted in a one-shot.

The biggest complaint I have is how little Amy lives up to her "I'm worth two men, and I suppose you can help" boast. Riddel easily takes off 2/3s of the herd, including stun-stealing some of Amy's targets. Don't get me wrong, it's badass enough that she's willing to go back to back with a big game hunter to fight a swarm of carnivorous dinosaurs, but her boasting earlier sets this up as a bit of a disappointment that never gets mentioned.

Amy's "or my end" line was just really dumb on her part. Back in the God Complex, the Doctor makes it heart-rendingly clear how much he fears seeing Amy or Rory dying due to his adventures. Of course she doesn't really get how special his treatment of them is, she's never seen past companions talk about how he just leaves them behind, but that was really a thoughtless statement. Completely believable to say, but poor form all the same.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2012-09-10 at 09:41 AM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

It is a shame we can't have a Doctor/Amy/Former Companion episode like the one Rose got with Sarah Jane Smith as Rose is in a parallel universe, Donna is mindwiped, Martha is someplace with Mickey, and Jack is bumming around the universe again. It might be possible to see a classic companion come back and highlight just how strange the doctor/amy dynamic is but I doubt we'll see it before her run ends.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    It is a shame we can't have a Doctor/Amy/Former Companion episode like the one Rose got with Sarah Jane Smith as Rose is in a parallel universe, Donna is mindwiped, Martha is someplace with Mickey, and Jack is bumming around the universe again. It might be possible to see a classic companion come back and highlight just how strange the doctor/amy dynamic is but I doubt we'll see it before her run ends.
    Amy meets Ace!
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Amy meets Ace!
    I don't think the show has the budget to simulate all the collateral damage that pairing will entail...

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Amy meets Ace!
    Ace: I'm the most badass companion, I beat up a Dalek with a baseball bat.
    Amy: That's nothing, I shot down the Silence.
    Ace: So what? I keep canisters of explosive in my backpack.
    Amy: Is that all? I survived alone for decades against killer robots and invented my own sonic screwdriver.
    Ace: Yeah well-
    Rose: Guys, there was that one time I destroyed the entire-
    Ace and Amy: Shut up Rose!

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

One word on the preview for "A Town Called Mercy" - I am currently resisting a strong urge to photoshop a Wanted Poster - "The Oncoming Storm, 60,000,000$$ Reward."

15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground

And while we're waiting for next week, how about the next part of a blast from the past? I don't have to work anymore, so Classic Whoviews continues.

Previous Reviews:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spearhead From Space:
    Part One

And now, for part two of... SPEARHEAD. FROM. SPAAAACE!!!

Spoiler
    Show
    PREVIOUSLY, ON DOCTOR WHO:

http://youtu.be/QQGRAG9pp-k

Oh, and there are some strange alien meteorites, and the Doctor may have gotten shot. Whatever. We all know what's important here.

And now...

Part Two

Title sequence. I hadn't noticed how the end of the song sounds kind of like a record skipping before.

Doctor gets shot, goes to take another nap in the heather. Well, pack it in, we had a pretty good run. Shortest-lived Doctor ever!

But no, when the soldier asks if he's dead, there is a very smooth cut back to the hospital, where Hospitaldoc and the Brig are looking over the Doctor, and Hospidoc says that the Doctor is alive, but super-unconscious. There's a brief discussion of what an EEG machine is, but the Doctor isn't giving good readings. The bullet did very little damage, but the Doctor's in a strange, deep self-induced coma. Since he's totally alien, the doctor admits to knowing very little about what's going on, and adds that the Doctor seemed to have a small key in his hand. Suspicious!

The Brig has the TARDIS sent back to Unit HQ, and gets Munroe to double the guard, and they move on to the meteorites. UNIT has found one fragment – it's some sort of plastic. The Brig can't figure out why anyone wanted to kidnap the Doctor, and looks into it. The press got a picture of one of the kidnappers, but only the one. There's something odd about the faces of the other kidnappers...

Another quick cut to a factory producing plastic doll heads. Whatever could be happening here?

(Okay, quick aside. I'm being a little snarky because every Doctor Who fan knows what's going on once two references to plastic appear in an episode, but this was the first time that these particular villains had shown up. If you don't know what I mean, I don't intend to spoil it just yet.)

More factory stuff. For quite a while, showing every step of putting dolls together, in a way that's kind of creepy. Doll heads having their eyes sewn in is creepy, guys! A man in a suit is coming in, and remarks that a lot of changes have taken place in the factory, and his workshop has been made into a high-security area. As he goes to find out what's going on, we see the head of the kidnappers, watching him really creepily. He kind of looks plastic himself.

Meanwhile, the factory boss is meeting with the Suit, who it turns out is a doll inventor. Inventor is caught off-guard, because he's just been fired just as their doll project is taking off. The Boss apologizes, but there's a new policy that he won't discuss. He refuses to discuss what's going on, and tells Inventor to leave. “I don't think you have come here, John. You should go at once. It's not safe.”

At this point, a sane person would get the hell out of dodge. Fortunately, John is an Inventor. So he just keeps badgering the Boss, following up on things. Creepy Kidnapper walks in, and John is told to get out. John finally storms out... but again, he is an Inventor, and they are curious sorts, so he tries the lock on the secure area. Bad Guy spots him, and he quickly leaves.

Back at UNIT, the Brig tries to chat with Liz Shaw, who is polite but absent. She's established that the plastic thing is manufactured, and not natural, but she's still skeptical. The Brig is annoyed with her skepticism, and she makes fun of him for getting annoyed, and also makes fun of the Doctor.

Back at the factory, the Boss is chatting with Evil Boss, who seems to have him pretty heavily mind controlled. It seems that two “energy units” are missing; they think the Doctor might have one, but it's dangerous to go near him. So it's time to go searching. And speaking of searching, here's Shifty the poacher, checking up on the meteorite that he stole. In the woods, as he checks on it, the classiest mannequin in the world is walking around the woods, and starts towards him. But Shifty is interrupted by his wife, and shoves the meteorite into the shed. There's a brief fight between him and the missus, who thinks he's stealing things again. He tries to order her around, and she yells right back. Definitely a healthy relationship. Once she's gone, he pulls out the meteorite again, and Classy McPlastic once more starts closing in. Which means it's about time for a quick cut!

At UNIT, the Brig is considering the TARDIS, and considers sneaking in, but Major-General Scoby, UNIT's army liason, is here to see him. The Major is interested in the meteorite, and makes some sexist comments about having a pretty face around. The Brig is quick to correct him. Liz continues to make fun of the TARDIS, telling the general snarkily that it is a spaceship. Her skepticism is understandable, but it's kind of getting old.

At the hospital, an administrator arrives with a fancy car, and the Doctor is attempting to make another break for it. He sneaks into the doctor's wing, and finds himself in the bathroom as the administrator walks in. The Doctor disguises himself by the simple and cunning expedient of taking a shower so that the others don't bother him. As soon as they leave, he steals some clothes.

In the meadows, UNIT has found one of the missing energy units. This attracts Classy Mannequin, who moves in.

At the hospital, the Doctor steals the administrator's coat, cloak, and hat, looking quite dignified. Everyone's looking classy today, I have to say – the Brig, the Doctor, even the murderous mannequins. Good day for fashion all around. Then he almost gets caught by the administrator, but slips away successfully as Hospidoc realizes that the Doctor is missing. Again. Outside, the Doctor checks all of the cars, and winds up stealing the administrator's car too. He spends a few moments figuring out how it works, and drives away. Our Doctor, just stealing stuff left and right.

Meanwhile, at UNIT, the Brig has found out that the Doctor escaped, leading to this rather awesome exchange:

BRIG: Well, at least he won't get very far.
    LIZ: You mean, before your men shoot him again?
    BRIG: I don't find that very funny.

Changing the subject quickly, the Brig points out that the Doctor needs the TARDIS to leave. After some more sarcasm from Liz, he discovers that the key doesn't seem to work. But it's been twenty seconds, so it's time for a quick cut.

In the meadows, UNIT is moving the energy unit when a mannequin steps into the road. Trying to avoid him, the soldiers crash the car, and the mannequin steals the energy unit. Back at the factory, the evil boss is in a room full of evil mannequins, talking to Factory Boss, who tells him that General Scoby is almost here. Evil Boss is almost done, so that's fine. Ominous. But again, thirty seconds, quick cut time.

The Doctor drives up to UNIT HQ, and browbeats the doorman into letting him in. It seems his watch homes in on the TARDIS, so he goes in to chat with the Brig. He is friendly, but intends to leave at once. He claims to have amnesia, and chats a bit about his new face, which is growing on him. Very flexible. His memories seem to be returning rapidly, and he is introduced to Liz (as Miss Shaw). The Brig tries to get answers out of him, and the Doctor denies any knowledge of the strange meteorites. Halfway though his denial, though, he spots the meteorites and gets interested. He points out that the meteorites had something inside them, agrees to help figure out what's going on, and gets a less formal second introduction to Liz, who seems quite charmed by him. The Doctor and the Brig agree that someone is collecting the pieces.

Back at the factory, our Inventor has decided to be an Investigator, and is sneaking in. Inside, the General is viewing some interesting plastic models. Bad Boss is busy being ominous, as Investigator continues to break into the factory. Inside, he forces his way into the secure area, getting in to see that room full of creepy classy mannequins. This rather confuses him, and he takes a look around. Behind him, one of the mannequins steps off the shelf. He turns, seeing it, and gasps in shock as...

EPISODE END!

Wait, really? That was your cliffhanger? That wasn't even the Doctor almost dying!

I guess the Doctor can't always be the guy to almost die.

Summary: The bad guys are introduced, the tension ratchets up, there are quick cuts everywhere but more of them feel good. It's still a much slower, more deliberate style than NewWho, but that's kind of nice.

BEST MOMENT: Probably the dolls in the creepy factory; it's a great bit of setting that feels super-ominous and normal at the same time.

WORST MOMENT: Oh, Shifty Poacher. You are such a caricature.

*EDIT* Oh god, no spoiler opener. So sorry.
    Last edited by Friv; 2012-09-11 at 02:04 AM.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    One word on the preview for "A Town Called Mercy" - I am currently resisting a strong urge to photoshop a Wanted Poster - "The Oncoming Storm, 60,000,000$$ Reward."
    Stop resisting! DO EET.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

Stop resisting! DO EET.
    Seconded.

I'm actually expecting quite a lot from this episode. It sounds like it could become one of my favourites. But we'll see.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Stop resisting! DO EET.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberries View Post
    Seconded.

I'm actually expecting quite a lot from this episode. It sounds like it could become one of my favourites. But we'll see.
    Consider the motion cubed... wait no, that's the episode after this one.

Also hoping it's a good episode, I'm a fan of Being Human so I like Whithouse's other writing.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

It goes without saying that I approve, doesn't it?
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

It would be fun to see Susan come back, just for the look on Amy's face when she realizes that she's Susan's step-great-grandmother. (Some people argue that somehow, River is actually Susan's grandmother, so then Amy would really be Susan's great-grandmother, not step-great-grandmother, but I don't buy that there's any way that River can be Susan's grandmother.)

I'd really like to see Ian come back (and I think (hope?) it might happen for the 50th anniversary) but I don't think that any Ian-Amy interaction would be particularly interesting.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Also hoping it's a good episode, I'm a fan of Being Human so I like Whithouse's other writing.
    Oh, is he the writer? Yeah, so I'll definitely have high expectations.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    I don't think the show has the budget to simulate all the collateral damage that pairing will entail...
    Ooh but just think of the hijinx alone in the storyline that would involve them meeting and then feel very sorry for the Daleks... after all if you have these two you need a suitable catspaw to explain all that awesome... and destructive potential!

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

God just imagine if they could pull this off!

This Saturday's episode has got alot to measure up to just in terms of this idea!

Ooh! how about "Predator of the Daleks, 60,000,000$$ Reward."
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2012-09-11 at 06:50 AM.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Banned

Daemon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0al-NSWkXc

Review of Asylum of the Daleks, makes me look like an idealist. I don't know what to think. I agree with all he says but I still like the ep.
    Last edited by Sunken Valley; 2012-09-11 at 07:25 AM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

The end of Asylum of the Daleks did puzzle me. Wondered why they did it.

Maybe the theme of the series is seeing the Doctor's presence slowly forgotten or removed from the galaxy, somehow. The Fields of Trenzolore become a crisis point because at that point, nobody knows who he is and someone has to ask.

But because he's woven himself throughout the universe, the Doctor somehow ceasing to exist and being forgotten opens up a huge paradox that will destroy everything?

Edit: Just watched Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. There's a few elements that fit this idea.
    Last edited by SmartAlec; 2012-09-11 at 10:07 AM.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

When he faked his own death, it was to make an effort to lie low, and disappear as a major power in the universe. The erasure from the dalek DB is an extension of that though I don't know how he's not in the other DB unless he phyisically changed it offscreen somehow between Asylum and DoaS (possibly the blue trader man did it?)
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know how he's not in the other DB unless he phyisically changed it offscreen somehow between Asylum and DoaS (possibly the blue trader man did it?)
    he's officially dead..why would a trader have him on his database? it'd be like having a pricetag on Elvis on the assumption that he might have been abducted by aliens after all..except we know that Elvis died on the crapper and everybody who is anyone in Whoniverse "knows" that the Doctor died at the hands of River Song
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    he's officially dead..why would a trader have him on his database? it'd be like having a pricetag on Elvis on the assumption that he might have been abducted by aliens after all..except we know that Elvis died on the crapper and everybody who is anyone in Whoniverse "knows" that the Doctor died at the hands of River Song
    Doriam Muldevar is one of the few people in on the joke, and has promised to help the Doctor keep his secret. He's also apparently an accomplished hacker and is armed with a media chip in his head, excellent wi-fi in his crypt, and nothing but time.

As for the slaver's database, the Doctor is a time traveler. He's been to the end of the universe (well, close enough), he's attempted to kill a caveman... and he's spent an awful lot of time (~200 years) running from Lake Silencio. The Doctor is known throughout the time and space, and feared by much of it. That's kind of the point of a Good Man Goes to War and the Pandorica Opens. "Status: Dead" wouldn't keep him off the database.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2012-09-11 at 11:52 AM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    There was a price on the dinosaurs and they were extinct...
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

The episode set itself in the 2300s, I think? The trader didn't seem to be a time traveller, and, well... Queen Nefertiti was on his database, and she was dead, too.

I guess what I'm saying is, they didn't need to make the point of scanning the Doctor and looking him up on a database. The trader could just have seen Neffy's face on his vids, and looked her up in a history archive and concluded she was valuable.

But the episode kind of made the point of saying the Doctor is not recognised by this database. I know Moffat has said he's not looking towards season-long subplots any more, but that seems a pretty strange detail.
    Last edited by SmartAlec; 2012-09-11 at 01:04 PM.