New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Mercenary Pen's Meticulously Planned Machine of Prose Random Banter #182

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Nope. I don't even really recall that scene.
    You are no person... you are Canadian. Heartless fiends from the north, come to take our trust and have us believe they are kind. But we see through your LIES!

*Shouldn't post when he feels confused like this*
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-09-16 at 10:14 AM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Mercenary Pen's Meticulously Planned Machine of Prose Random Banter #182

Once I realised that movies weren't real, I never felt sad/etc. from movies again. The exception being true stories.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Soulless One View Post
    Nope. I don't even really recall that scene.
    For shame.

I don't think I've ever cried at a film out of sadness. Possibly Ring of Bright Water, but I was awfully young when I saw that. That doesn't mean that films can't make me sad. That scene from The Lion King (I'm sure most people know the one I mean) was heartbreaking, and that was at an age when I'd already all but grown out of Disney films.

Even now, there's the odd film that retains its capacity to make me feel really miserable. Films that seem to take the pains to identify every strand of hope remaining and stamp them out, where despicable villains get away with everything. I don't tend to cry, but it does make me feel rather empty inside.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2012-09-16 at 10:27 AM.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

4. - Top - End - #184
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    For shame.

I don't think I've ever cried at a film out of sadness. Possibly Ring of Bright Water, but I was awfully young when I saw that. That doesn't mean that films can't make me sad. That scene from The Lion King (I'm sure most people know the one I mean) was heartbreaking, and that was at an age when I'd already all but grown out of Disney films.

Even now, there's the odd film that retains its capacity to make me feel really miserable. Films that seem to take the pains to identify every strand of hope remaining and stamp them out, where despicable villains get away with everything. I don't tend to cry, but it does make me feel rather empty inside.
    Go and watch Awakenings. And remember, it's a true story.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

5. - Top - End - #185
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    What other things? And I would be okay with that.
    Neverwhere,
    I was sure there were more, but I can't bring them to mind right now. Oh, those remaining episodes of Doctor Who you haven't seen as well. Maybe some other things.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

6. - Top - End - #186
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    You are no person... you are Canadian. Heartless fiends from the north, come to take our trust and have us believe they are kind. But we see through your LIES!

*Shouldn't post when he feels confused like this*
    Hey, we've got feelings too Sheepie

For shame.

Hahaha, the souless one. Nice. My problem is that I was a kid and likely didn't really understand, or if I did I just knew it was a movie. And remeber I've only ever seen any of these movies once, ever.

Also, Rawhide told you to watch Awakening. Allow me to suggest another movie to watch. Grave/Graveyard of the Fireflies.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Go and watch Awakenings. And remember, it's a true story.
    Sort of. Good movie, anyhow.
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    That joke is older than a chicken halfway 'cross a road, Comedian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    This is probably the least amusing thing I've heard all week.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Ranger Mattos.

8. - Top - End - #188

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    I've seen it once when I was a kid and it made me cry. I've used this example throughout the ages to describe why I can't (or rather couldn't) watch movies with any sort of sad element to them. I was terribly emotional as a kid.

Hmm, come to think about it, I can't remember when that stopped to be a thing...
    AAAAaaaAAAAA So cute! <hugs forever>

It is a bit of a concern that Pixar are producing fewer original films and more sequels. And Cars 2 was rubbish. (To be fair, Cars wasn't great). Have I heard correctly that there's a Finding Nemo 2 in the works as well, or am I making that up?
    Wha-? NOOOOOO. Really, no, that one has no basis for a sequel. Toy Story did, because when half of the friendship is apparently immortal and the other will grow up, it's reasonable. Although now that that final question has been resolved, now it's finished. Wrapped up. But Nemo? No! That one is

Once I realised that movies weren't real, I never felt sad/etc. from movies again. The exception being true stories.
    I never finished the Neverending story when i was little because I felt too sad about it.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The first Pokemon movie makes me cry whenever I rewatch it. But I think that's a nostalgia thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Bugbear in the Playground

I actually feel more empathy for fictional characters than I do for people in real life. Seriously, I hear these real life sad stories and the people around me start crying, and I'm fine. But then I read Of Mice and Men... yeah, I should probably get my head checked.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    I actually feel more empathy for fictional characters than I do for people in real life. Seriously, I hear these real life sad stories and the people around me start crying, and I'm fine. But then I read Of Mice and Men... yeah, I should probably get my head checked.
    Nah man. Fictional characters are meant to be empathized with. If you're hearing about your friend's friend whose life is going through a really rough patch, you shouldn't necessarily feel bad. If you find Of Mice and Men sadder than your close friends going through bad **** though, that's ... Yeah.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Did I ever tell you guys 'bout that dream I had t'other day? I was in a tiny bar, not many people in it, but over in the corner was Townes Van Zandt, playing a set. He was drunk and playing badly and forgetting the words, but I was in awe. I was just hanging on every note, eatin' it up, man. Then, I realized I had my guitar with me, and decided to ask him if he would maybe sign it after his set was over. Then I remembered he was dead, and he disappeared.

I don't know what that means, but it was a pretty cool dream. I just e-mailed his wife and told him about it.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    The first Pokemon movie makes me cry whenever I rewatch it. But I think that's a nostalgia thing.
    I think thats a law of 90's kids. I usually just feel all "damnit early 2000's stuff was so much better in every way than now's stuff why why why do people not do good things anymore" (I also cry.)

I ahve similarish dreams,sometimes trag. Not the music thing, but I hang with a guy then I realize he should be dead, and then in an incredibly idiotic and outlandish (or, one time, REAALLY sober and sad) death.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-09-16 at 01:43 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    don't feed the troll...

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    I think thats a law of 90's kids. I usually just feel all "damnit early 2000's stuff was so much better in every way than now's stuff why why why do people not do good things anymore" (I also cry.)
    There was so much incredibly naughty stuff in Ed, Edd, n Eddy and The Fairly OddParents. Also, early SpongBob. My God.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2012-09-16 at 01:52 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nah man. Fictional characters are meant to be empathized with. If you're hearing about your friend's friend whose life is going through a really rough patch, you shouldn't necessarily feel bad. If you find Of Mice and Men sadder than your close friends going through bad **** though, that's ... Yeah.
    Nah, about the worst thing that happens to my close friends is along the lines of "You know my girlfriend, who cheated on me and dumped me and then made me wait for three weeks while she decided between me and the guy she cheated on me with, then we got back together? Yeah, she dumped me again on my birthday." (Yes, this really happened to a friend of mine. He's dating the same girl again now, and says he plans to marry her.) I mean, the first couple of times I felt sympathetic, but...
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Nah, about the worst thing that happens to my close friends is along the lines of "You know my girlfriend, who cheated on me and dumped me and then made me wait for three weeks while she decided between me and the guy she cheated on me with, then we got back together? Yeah, she dumped me again on my birthday." (Yes, this really happened to a friend of mine. He's dating the same girl again now, and says he plans to marry her.) I mean, the first couple of times I felt sympathetic, but...
    Ugh. If I had a friend like that I'd just feel bad about him making the same mistakes over and over again. Yeah.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

There was so much incredibly naughty stuff in Ed, Edd, n Eddy and The Fairly OddParents. Also, early SpongBob. My God.
    Ed, edd, and eddy wasn`t really naughty so much as a call-back to the 50`s and 70`s.
    Or at least that is what I recall from the interveiws with the creator I watched ages ago.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by wadledo View Post
    Ed, edd, and eddy wasn`t really naughty so much as a call-back to the 50`s and 70`s.
    Or at least that is what I recall from the interveiws with the creator I watched ages ago.
    Dude. There are so many illicit reference in that show. Have you watched it recently?

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Dude. There are so many illicit reference in that show. Have you watched it recently?
    Maybe you just have a dirty mind.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    AAAAaaaAAAAA So cute! <hugs forever>

I'm sorry about not putting more effort into the drawing of you, but drawing the crumpled mantle was taking more time than I had anticipated, and it's starting to get late over here.

Pros:
    Silly fun
    Training in drawing crumpled mantles, cat ears, hair (could always use more training in drawing hair)...

Cons:
    Took an entire evening
    I've got more important things to work on than silly small impetuses such as this one
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

21. - Top - End - #201

AUGHSOCUTEICANNOTCOPE

It's adorable!!!!!!
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #202

I'm sorry about not putting more effort into the drawing of you, but drawing the crumpled mantle was taking more time than I had anticipated, and it's starting to get late over here.

Pros:
    Silly fun
    Training in drawing crumpled mantles, cat ears, hair (could always use more training in drawing hair)...

Cons:
    Took an entire evening
    I've got more important things to work on than silly small impetuses such as this one
    I wanna hug forever too! Also, yay practice. That'll be helpful in the future

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

AUGHSOCUTEICANNOTCOPE

It's adorable!!!!!!
    I know, I think my brain just melted from all the squee. ^_^

Aww...*coils around Zodi in a foreversnuggle* =3
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder, will that one also be distinguished by my "Yeah, I have no idea of how this ended up happening" expression?

Also, I hope you don't hug all too hard. I'm already looking like an hourglass...

Show

25. - Top - End - #205

Also, I hope you don't hug all too hard. I'm already looking like an hourglass...
    Hmm. I think we'll need more pictures to see if this is the case.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

I wonder, will that one also be distinguished by my "Yeah, I have no idea of how this ended up happening" expression?

.... Aww crap. We're gonna talk about corsets again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

27. - Top - End - #207

Don't worry, I'm very gentle

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. I think we'll need more pictures to see if this is the case.
    Actually, that was just a reference to the image I just made. If you look closely, the should-have-been rectangular body is somewhat narrowed off under your arms as a way to indicate that you're hugging really hard (also, teddybears are soft). It's an idea I got for some reason.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2012-09-16 at 06:07 PM.

Show

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it makes sense that fictional characters are experiencing worse in their fictional situations than your real-life friends. Moreover, (good) fiction tends to be "writ larger" than real life. You get a heightened sense of the context; the characters tend to be more coherent and expressive than real people. If the characters are well portrayed you can relate to them just as you can real friends. So fictional characters being put through the wringer might well upset you as much as real people with relatively trivial first-world problems.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being moved by fiction (be it literature, film, television, or whatever). In fact I'd have thought it's part of the point. I find it odd that people seem kind of proud of their inability to be moved by fiction, because they know it's not real. That seems to be missing the point a bit.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

30. - Top - End - #210

Actually, that was just a reference to the image I just made. If you look closely, the should-have-been rectangular body is somewhat narrowed off under your arms as a way to indicate that you're hugging really hard (also, teddybears are soft). It's an idea I got for some reason.
    Yeah, I see. but I still want more Teddy-pics! NAOW
    Show

Spoiler
    Show