New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Divine Jade Pheonix Mage

I was just wondering what balance problems could arise from this. If you didn't know: the Jade Phoenix Mage is a prestige class from the Tome of Battle.
    Basically, the idea is you change any instance of "arcane" in the class description, table and prerequisites to "divine".
    Does opening up this prestige class to clerics, druids, or other divine casters open a can of worms? Thanks for your opinions and ideas (whatever they might be!), I would really appreciate your insights.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Divine Jade Pheonix Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Chrono22 View Post
    I was just wondering what balance problems could arise from this. If you didn't know: the Jade Phoenix Mage is a prestige class from the Tome of Battle.
    Basically, the idea is you change any instance of "arcane" in the class description, table and prerequisites to "divine".
    Does opening up this prestige class to clerics, druids, or other divine casters open a can of worms? Thanks for your opinions and ideas (whatever they might be!), I would really appreciate your insights.
    This would probably be best on the role-playing games forum, but I'll take a stab here if you were going to brew up some differences.

While it would be really easy just to slide arcane out and add divine in and really you'd not have to do anything more than that, you might consider changing a few things in the class to better fit. For example, Arcane Wrath can change to Divine Judgement (Su): Expend a divine spell slot to add your Wisdom to hit and twice the spell level expended to damage.

Another one you could change would be Mystic Phoenix Stance, change it to Holy Sun Bird Stance, and when you enter it you may spend a divine spell with it to super-charge your ability to turn undead or boost your caster level with for the short time you maintain the stance.

Emerald Immolation is still totally fitting though.

Cheers,
    -X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd have a slight concern that a divine version would have better BAB and hit points from their divine side if they had taken cleric levels. Also, they can then use a lot of the nice buffs that clerics get. So a cleric entry might be stronger than an arcane caster entry. I'm not sure if this is enough to matter.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Note, however, that Arcane casting is generally considered stronger than Divine casting to begin with. If anything, it would be less of a jump for the PrC to increase the BAB by one step instead of 2 for the Divine Casters.

That said, I find the OP's question to be somewhat moot, as the Ruby Knight Vindicator covers Divine/ToB. Nevertheless, any optimizer will tell you that abuse of the class is easy with enough night sticks. Not sure what I'm talking about? Google it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I had an idea for a class that was a divine class pertaining to the whole Jade Phoenix mythos, but it was divine/martial characters who worshiped the Jade or Ebon Phoenixes instead of being reincarnations of the original set. I've tried to make it but I'm not doing well in the homebrew department lately. I might take another whack at it, though.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devigod View Post
    That said, I find the OP's question to be somewhat moot, as the Ruby Knight Vindicator covers Divine/ToB. Nevertheless, any optimizer will tell you that abuse of the class is easy with enough night sticks. Not sure what I'm talking about?
    Yes, and note that there's been some work in making modifications for the Ruby Knight so that the Wee Jas centered mechanics can be changed to be fitting mechanics for other deities. See this thread of alternate vindicators. Might be closer to what the OP wants.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors