New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: OOTS #876 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MeanMrsMustard View Post
    I'd be surprised if the shippers hadn't already started a long time ago.
    Somehow your avatar makes your comment perfect.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

If Rich hadn't said that Mass Death Ward being level 7 instead of 8 was an error, I'd say that we should have seen this coming because of it.
    SSBitP
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "Creativity is the art of knowing how to hide one's sources." - Original quote, DO NOT STEAL.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

Ack, too good! I can't handle this tension.
    Avatar drawn by the extraordinarily talented Ceika!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raineh Daze View Post
    So, does anyone have any answers for these questions?

• Are there any rules regarding targeting grappling combatants?
    • What's the LA for a Yuan-ti Abomination/Naga? Malack's ECL seems like it must be through the roof at this point.
    • Is it even possible that he's a Yuan-ti?
    If Malack were a Yuan-Ti Abomination with exactly the minimum levels in Cleric to cast Harm, he would have 9 racial hit dice, 11 class levels, +7 LA from his race and +8 LA from vampire, putting him at ECL 35.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    More likely a legless Yuan-ti half-blood or abomination- Naga's generally don't have arms, either.
    Or maybe some kind of homebrewed, mutant vampire form for lizardfolks.

After all, vampires are shapeshifters and those who were once human are often portrayed with intermediary forms between man and bat or wolf. I can see a reptile vampire having some half-snake form as an option.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

6. - Top - End - #66
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by karpik777 View Post
    Ok, this leaves the question: why bother checking if Durkon protected himself if you could simply dispel the spell and not care at all*?

*yes, I know it's for the plot, but still..
    You don't play your trump card first. You play it last, when it will ensure victory. Or better yet, you win without even using it.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Raineh Daze View Post
    Yuan-ti would fit... but it runs afoul of the OGL/product ID thing, so the above stated naga is much more likely, since they're mythological entities.
    lolwut? how long have you not been reading this comic again?

8. - Top - End - #68
    Halfling in the Playground

If Durkon does become a vampire, it will open the gateway for plenty of White Wolf jokes. If he doesn't.... I don't even know where this comic is going anymore, I'll be honest. It's a roller coaster ride in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by LongVin View Post
    Fool! What torments have you unleashed upon the playground! The black gates of the abyss have been thrown asunder and soon all forms of monstroties shall rush forth! Repent! Repent I say! Before the end times! Before it is too late! I can feel the evil in my teeth!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by le Suisse View Post
    Somehow your avatar makes your comment perfect.
    And I will never be able to look at it the same way again.
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

If Malack is a Yaun-ti, Durkon might be saved by the lawyers...
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

11. - Top - End - #71

Awesome strip! great job on building the suspense! Will Durkon get out of this one?

Quote Originally Posted by le Suisse View Post
    Never create something you cannot destroy. I said it a long time ago and will say it a long after. Too many characters were destroyed by their own creation used against them, or simply escaping their control.

This is one of the most awesome comic I ever seen.

On the funny side: How long will it take to people to start shiping these two?
    Hopefully, never!
    Last edited by Burner28; 2013-03-02 at 05:53 PM.
    : But you can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

You don't play your trump card first. You play it last, when it will ensure victory. Or better yet, you win without even using it.
    Clever vampire lizard snake thing. I guess this is how Durkon will returning home "posthumously".
    "All generalizations are false."
    -Me

Please remeber the impotence of poofreading everything you right.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsujin-28 View Post
    I think a sudden appearance by V is Durkon's only shot at getting out of this.
    Yes, I think that's the only Durkon's getting out of this one: V rushes in, sees what's going on, and casts a couple Incinerates (assuming V prepared some today).

Failing that, may be time to start discussing Vamp!Durkon. What are the chances that OOTS would accept another Evil-aligned member? Of course, considering the fact that Durkon would be LE and a fairly honerable fellow, I think it likely that he could come to some kind of compromise with them (only feed on Evil characters or people the team fights against). But who knows, maybe Durkon would ask Roy to stake him rather than exist as a vampire.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Holy ****!

Giant, I commend you. There are so many things about Malack that we really should have seen coming, and didn't. (Having reread a few parts involving him, the bloodwart tea is actually described as such when it's introduced, it's just that the text has similar-looking o's and a's. And when Durkon splashes a bit of it, it's blood red.)

This was yet another one of them.
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2013-03-02 at 05:54 PM.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by karpik777 View Post
    Ok, this leaves the question: why bother checking if Durkon protected himself if you could simply dispel the spell and not care at all*?

*yes, I know it's for the plot, but still..
    Ninja'd by the Giant himself, but to elaborate - if Malack had simply dispelled the Mass Death Ward without first rendering Durkon unable to cast, Durkon could have cast a garden-variety Death Ward on himself, and we have no reason to think Malack has a backdoor into those.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

He's a Yun...Yan...Yon....Serpent Thingy!

Also, a Fridge brilliance moment: When Durkon tried to casss MDW before against Sabine, and the spell failed because Thor and the devas couldn't understand his request...it wasn't because Thor was an idiot this time, it was a hint the spell had been tampered with.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2013-03-02 at 05:55 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    If Malack were a Yuan-Ti Abomination with exactly the minimum levels in Cleric to cast Harm, he would have 9 racial hit dice, 11 class levels, +7 LA from his race and +8 LA from vampire, putting him at ECL 35.
    And 20 HD total. Ouch. Even with a whole bunch more class levels, he'd be tougher than practically all of the OotS. No wonder he'd be stuck at level 11...

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

No Durkon! Well, it seems its all over now.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

19. - Top - End - #79

OH WOW.

And I thought the Belkar moment was gonna be the climax. How naive I was. What's really intriguing is that no matter what happens, Durkon will still be heading back to the Dwarven Lands...

(minor quibble: it's a little hard to follow the panels in the middle of the strip. I read the four panels on the left before reading the big one to the right, and I was lost for a bit about what had happened)
    !

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Leipzig View Post
    Failing that, may be time to start discussing Vamp!Durkon. What are the chances that OOTS would accept another Evil-aligned member? Of course, considering the fact that Durkon would be LE and a fairly honerable fellow, I think it likely that he could come to some kind of compromise with them (only feed on Evil characters or people the team fights against). But who knows, maybe Durkon would ask Roy to stake him rather than exist as a vampire.
    I don't know if Roy actually would. He and Durkon are pretty close.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Hm. With Durkon potentially becoming a vampire and Belkar's clock ticking away, it's possible that the Order will be down to four members soon.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well...oh my. This is problematic. Very problematic. On another topic, could someone point me towards the comic where Malack helped Durkon create the Mass Death Ward spell, or it was first mentioned he did so?
    I am the Lord of Naught, the ruler of the empty throne. I rule over nothing, I have nothing. Therefore, what have I to lose?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanist View Post
    Also, this seems to perhaps fulfill the prophecies of Durkon returning home posthumously and him visiting destruction on them when he next returns.
    Yep, pretty much my thoughts here. Maybe he'll stay around with the Order anyway, though. Malack seems to be able to be personally rational and unlike Belkar I feel like Durkon has enough reputation with the Order that they would look at him as a vampire and go "oh man, that sucks...let's head to the next gate."

Spoiler, you're implying that this is the last play.

Oh and a question: are we going to learn how this will affect Durkon's allegiance to Thor? Can that be removed by this change, forcing him to lose his clerical magic until he finds a new source of power?
    School Fox by Atlur

Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

And here I thought Malack was a nice person for so long...

Now I really would like to see Team Evil vs. full Team Tarquin kickass Evil-to-Evil showdown.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

25. - Top - End - #85

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Leipzig View Post
    Failing that, may be time to start discussing Vamp!Durkon. What are the chances that OOTS would accept another Evil-aligned member?
    1. I now really appreciate the move the Giant made earlier of Belkar being bitten but not vamped. It raises the tension of Durkon being bitten more.
    2. If Durkon is turned here, I don't think his personality or alignment will change. I also don't think he'll ask to be staked, because I'm sure he'll recognize that he has the capacity to do a great deal of good, even as an undead. But I think a vampire Durkon would be able to satisfy his need for blood in a nonevil way.
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86

BlueWizardGirl

Well, as every cliffhanger strip we've had so far in this segment has been followed by a reversal (Belkar's going to be vamp'd! No, Durkon's going to lose! No, Durkon's winning! No, Malack turned the tables! No, Durkon's winning again!), I'm going to assume this is the perfect time for someone else to show up and rescue Durkon - either Belkar will stop being Dominated, or the rest of the crew will have finished disarming the door and come to look for Durkon and Belkar.

I don't think it will be V, because from appearances he's in a completely different (and much deeper) part of the pyramid. But I've been wrong in my predictions about this comic many times before.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by LordofNaught View Post
    Well...oh my. This is problematic. Very problematic. On another topic, could someone point me towards the comic where Malack helped Durkon create the Mass Death Ward spell, or it was first mentioned he did so?
    Here
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0750.html

EDIT: ...And looking at that panel in the bottom-left corner made me sad.
    Great story you are spinning here, Giant!
    Last edited by CWater; 2013-03-02 at 06:02 PM.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

28. - Top - End - #88

1. Ok, that was a brilliant move for Malack. Durkon loses a minimum of 1d4 Con, Malack gains some temporary hp, and if something doesn't happen in the next few rounds, Durkon is defeated. Of course, this is only the 5th comic of 9, so something will happen next round to tip the balance of power back towards the Order. Of course, the Giant knows that we know this, and wil probably have Durkon be defeated just to break expectation. On the other hand, the Giant knows that we know that he knows what to expect, so he may have made plans based on what we know he knows that we know he will do, and so on and so forth.

2. I knew from the general structure of this sequence that Malack would take back the advantage dramatically this comic, but I hadn't guessed that he'd be able to dispel the Ward. Seems obvious in retrospect, though.

3. If there really are nine strips in this sequence, then the pattern we have seen so far will end on a "Malack winning" strip, though it could also be that the 9th strip will do something else to herald the end of the battle, such as Xykon warping in or simply cutting away to Haley, Elan, and Roy having finally disarmed all the traps and seeing what's beyond.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

Not looking good. Hopefully Durkon remembered to hold back a Word of Recall.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Spoiler, you're implying that this is the last play.
    No, I'm implying that Malack thinks this is the last play, and chose his actions accordingly.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~