New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default which side is Parson on?

I'm wondering. Is Stanley's side good or bad? or are both sides evil? it's kind of hard to tell although it looks a bit like Ansom's original side were the good guys. of course they DID have vampires which is kind of a mark against them.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2009-09-22 at 03:27 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: which side is Parson on?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    I'm wondering. Is Stanley's side good or bad? or are both sides evil? it's kind of hard to tell although it looks a bit like Ansom's original side were the good guys. of course they DID have vampires which is kind of a mark against them.
    Which side is Good and which is evil?

the answer is Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

as Jack sparrow would say. "Well that's maddeningly unhelpful"
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2009-09-22 at 03:53 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

as Jack sparrow would say. "Well that's maddeningly unhelpful"
    And yet it is very accurate. Your question assumes that the story has a clear "Good Guy" and "Bad Guy". Which is odd because, fairly early on, that very question comes up
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0031.html

Now, of course, very few Bad Guys think that they are Bad Guys. But you can't say that the RCC were good guys just because they wore the shiny armor.
    Both sides felt they were perfectly justified in their actions. Stanley, because he thought it was the Titan's will that he gather the Arkentools, and Ansom, because he wanted to stop Stanely's rampant agressions/ didn't like a non-royal ruling a nation having taken over from a Royal under questionable circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

now see THAT'S actually helpful and answers the question.

that's what I thought. I just wanted to make sure neither side was supposed to be the side we're supposed to be rooting for because they're good.

also, how do I go to the first written version of the comic on the new site? do I have to go through each thing one at a time?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

also, how do I go to the first written version of the comic on the new site? do I have to go through each thing one at a time?
    This is the Summer update archive.

7. - Top - End - #7

Going to Erfworld page just takes me to the most recent update.

I'd say Stanley qualifies as "evil." He's a tyrannical man-child. But as he's quick to point out, he's hardly the only guy out there who benefits by using force.

At any rate, Stanley is actually becoming a mite more sympathetic as a character. Deep down, he's beginning to suspect that maybe his destiny wasn't anything terribly special and now he's beginning to feel lonely because of his power.

I mean, it's not like he actually did anything. He just got really, really lucky his entire life. And now he's the leader of a soon-to-be-empire. And he has no idea what to make of it.
    Last edited by LurkerInPlayground; 2009-09-22 at 09:21 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    And yet it is very accurate. Your question assumes that the story has a clear "Good Guy" and "Bad Guy". Which is odd because, fairly early on, that very question comes up
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0031.html

Now, of course, very few Bad Guys think that they are Bad Guys. But you can't say that the RCC were good guys just because they wore the shiny armor.
    Both sides felt they were perfectly justified in their actions. Stanley, because he thought it was the Titan's will that he gather the Arkentools, and Ansom, because he wanted to stop Stanely's rampant agressions/ didn't like a non-royal ruling a nation having taken over from a Royal under questionable circumstances.
    IMO, Erfworld does not appear to have any good guys (other than casters with noncombatant tendencies). All else is open to debate.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    IMO, Erfworld does not appear to have any good guys (other than casters with noncombatant tendencies). All else is open to debate.
    We don't even know how many sides there are, there is a fair bit of mystery around the magic kingdom, especially after Parson's visit there.
    Last edited by multilis; 2009-10-30 at 11:58 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Chimera

Parson is on the side which doesn't want to kill him.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LurkerInPlayground View Post
    I mean, it's not like he actually did anything. He just got really, really lucky his entire life. And now he's the leader of a soon-to-be-empire. And he has no idea what to make of it.
    I'd say managing to work up from being a near-mindless piker who would be obsessed with his weapon through to a warlord is something of an achievement. Then he got lucky, found an arkentool, and went on a rampage of conquest for Saline.

Stanely is meant to be good at combat and intuitive tactics. The fact that he mopped the floor with Caesar should be evidence enough of his skills in combat.

It's strategy and general higher cognitive functions that he's useless at. Which is why if he somehow was made a warlord again, and someone smarter made Overlord, GK would be a hell of a lot more dangerous.

12. - Top - End - #12

RedWizardGuy

To view the archive in the new site, go to the selection box in the left corner, its right under the Rob's plug, and select Book 1, to go to a overall view of the first book, or Summer update, to a overall view of them.
    Last edited by Slayn82; 2009-10-31 at 07:51 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Kalbron View Post
    I'd say managing to work up from being a near-mindless piker who would be obsessed with his weapon through to a warlord is something of an achievement. Then he got lucky, found an arkentool, and went on a rampage of conquest for Saline.

Stanely is meant to be good at combat and intuitive tactics. The fact that he mopped the floor with Caesar should be evidence enough of his skills in combat.

It's strategy and general higher cognitive functions that he's useless at. Which is why if he somehow was made a warlord again, and someone smarter made Overlord, GK would be a hell of a lot more dangerous.
    Umm. Nothing you say here adds anything to what I've said.

He's always been an infantryman. A soldier. He doesn't have much imagination for anything else. He's good at thumping things and some basic procedure and that's about it. He has prowess in combat, but so what? (Nevermind, that he had an artifact to help beat Caesar.)

He was never meant to be anything more than a mere grunt, so he's mystified by the fact that he's suddenly in a position of power and responsibility. It makes him feel lonely and confused anytime anything gets a little bit weird or boring. He doesn't "get it," although he's more than willing to credit Titanic mandate or his extraordinary luck.

And that's what pisses of most Royals. It's evidently clear that he's a grunt in the wrong place. He just confirms their prejudices, although there are noteworthy exceptions in people like Charlie or Caesar.

14. - Top - End - #14

Well, according to the last page of the first book, it's quite obvious that Parson considers himself to be on his OWN side, and indeed, it's quite possible that he is. He was able to swear, after all.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Parson is wholeheartedly and loyally on his own side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by LurkerInPlayground View Post
    And that's what pisses of most Royals. It's evidently clear that he's a grunt in the wrong place. He just confirms their prejudices, although there are noteworthy exceptions in people like Charlie or Caesar.
    I don't think that Charlie is a Royal at all. my personal pet theory is that he is another "human player", like Parson.
    Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books.
    E. G. Gygax

Lawful member of the Hinjo fanclub
    Treegrappler of the Durkon fanclub

17. - Top - End - #17

Parson's Side?

Gobwin Knob.
    Last edited by Justyn; 2009-11-03 at 05:34 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Charlie isn't a royal. Plenty of characters have said so.

As for Parson, he is on Gobwin Knobs side. He is magically bound to server Stanley. More importantly, he enjoys advancing Gobwin Knob's side. He enjoys working with some of the casters, although he doesn't really trust Wanda. I don't blame him. Once a traitor, always a traitor.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    I don't think that Charlie is a Royal at all. my personal pet theory is that he is another "human player", like Parson.
    And neither is Caesar.

The idea I'm trying to convey is that neither Caesar or Charlie fall in line with Royal stereotypes.

Caesar is just a lowly Count and is heir-designate. He wasn't popped as a Royal, he was appointed to it. He's a minor noble and doesn't have "Royal blood."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Parsons always in between.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Krytha View Post
    Parson is on the side which doesn't want to kill him.
    ...the side which doesn't want to kill him when Stanley is having a good day.

Parson has been close to being disbanded at least twice.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Parson is on his own side now. He's not a piece, he's a player. It's him versus Erfworld.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff of Moddingham: Thread necromancy.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex