New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default "I Saw This Movie One Time, Years Ago...."

I don't think that there's a generic Sticky thread wherein people with poor memories (such as myself) describe a film that they once saw and then beg kind and generous people (that'd be you) to try and guess the title for them. At least, there wasn't anything that the Search function would admit to recognising, so let's see how we go; can anyone help identify this film?

"I saw this movie one time, years ago.... "

It was an animated film about Dragons. I don't think it was animé, per say, as I don't really remember what the humans in it looked like and so it might have just been something colourful and American rather than Japanese and dubbed.

The gist of the plot is that there is an older Dragon, who is red/orange in colour, who has taken on a younger, green Dragon as a sort of apprentice-come-adopted son. The specific scene that I remember takes place inside a mountain - these two Dragons are huge, and they both fill up the entire cavern save for a small ledge which is about level with their heads.

The red Dragon has brought the green Dragon to this cavern because this is where Dwarves mine for a certain precious mineral that, when ingested, greatly improves the heat and/or power of a Dragon's fiery breath. Right on cue, half a dozen Dwarves - which look more like garden Gnomes, as they're wearing little pointy hats - walk out onto the ledge carrying little sacks of this mineral. The red Dragon chastises the Dwarves for being too slow, and then tells the green Dragon to swallow the sacks, which he does.

After that.... not much. I'm fairly sure that the red Dragon dies soon after, and the green Dragon goes on to fight.... possibly an evil black Dragon, that might be wearing a skull for a helmet or at least have a bony, skeletal looking face.

I'm reasonably sure that I didn't dream this - I had it on VHS some 15-18 years ago, but I'll be damned if I can tell you anything more about it other than that I really enjoyed it.

....Help?
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: "I Saw This Movie One Time, Years Ago...."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

God the people on this board are freaking GOOD. It makes me wish I had some half remembered book or movie I could try to mention.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Good point. And I think I kind of do.

Again, probably western animation of some point. I think it was either fantasy, or possibly some kind of scifi/fantasy mashup. The main character had a sword without a blade, and at certain points a blade would appear (with some revelation about it being him making it appear all along near the end, naturally).

I remember literally nothing else.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Starchaser: the Legend of Orin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC934tDRBaY
    Last edited by SmartAlec; 2012-09-16 at 08:11 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

And that's why there's never a long-running Guess-the-Movie thread.
    the Playground is just too efficient at it by far for it to take that long.

7. - Top - End - #7

Ok, I got one. Its a book I read a decade or two ago. In it a princess is captured by a dragon. The usual knights and such show up to rescue her, but for a reason I dont recall she doesnt WANT to be saved. She wants to stay with the dragon who is actually fairly friendly to her. She ends up meeting with a whole bunch of other dragons, and I believe her presence there is considered a problem, possibly due to her not following the cliches. I THINK the dragon dies at some point and she keeps on living there in the cave.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to go with Dealing with Dragons: The Enchanted Forest Chronicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dealing_with_Dragons

9. - Top - End - #9

Holy mother of pearl! This place is better than any search engine invented! That is exactly it!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Well looks like I was too slow it was for sure Flight of Dragons. Sadly it was not nearly as good as the book it was loosely based on. It maybe hard to find now but The dragon and the George (and the whole dragon knight series) is a very good read.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's one I want to know the name of because the title utterly escapes me. It was a conanesque movie, possibly foriegn with an english redub, most of the movie is utterly forgettable and generic but at one point the best scene in the movie unintentionally happens due to horrifically poor editing. One of the heroic team is pointing at the enemy stronghold and telling our main protagonist that "We must invade the fort..., the fort..., the castle" complete with bumpy jump cuts and everything.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Balain View Post
    Well looks like I was too slow it was for sure Flight of Dragons. Sadly it was not nearly as good as the book it was loosely based on. It maybe hard to find now but The dragon and the George (and the whole dragon knight series) is a very good read.
    I haven't seen the movie, but it's actually based on two books: The Dragon and the George (one of my favourite books, although I haven't read the rest in the series and until recently didn't even know there was a series), and The Flight of Dragons (someone's PhD about how dragons could have existed and why we'll never find any remains of them). Maybe if you read The Flight of Dragons and gave the movie another go, you'd like it better.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    I haven't seen the movie, but it's actually based on two books: The Dragon and the George (one of my favourite books, although I haven't read the rest in the series and until recently didn't even know there was a series), and The Flight of Dragons (someone's PhD about how dragons could have existed and why we'll never find any remains of them). Maybe if you read The Flight of Dragons and gave the movie another go, you'd like it better.
    Which discovery later put to the test with an awesome false documentary going into lengths of describing what dragons would have looked like on earth and how they would evolve.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've got one that's already stumped another fantasy forum.
    When I was a kid I watched a movie with my big sister, and I still have nightmares about it.
    It's like an Outer Limits or Twilight episode, where you've got a few stories. One of them, the one I remember, has a guy move into a village with his son. What's weird about the village? Nobody plays any music. Nobody sings. There's a scene where he tries to make music with a glass, and someone breaks the glass. He pushes, and pushes, and at the end of the story the entire village is singing, and a giant cloud monster eats all of them. Then the narrator talks about respecting other peoples' beliefs.
    It could be an episode of one of those shows, it could be a movie. I don't remember anything else about it. Anyone got something?
    Ceika is a beautiful, wonderful person. The avatar was made by his/her great talent, and depending on his/her sex and sexuality, I either have a giant crush or a totally appropriate liking for him/her.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Okay, I've got one I saw on HBO as a kid, probably about 18 years ago.

The opening starts with finding out an old woman has died. They say it was a suicide, but one detective is suspicious. See, she died by burning to death in her bathroom, the entirety of which is charred black. There is also a note scraped into the soot; "No one can help".

Fom there on in it's jumbled. The grandmother starts haunting her granddaughter, who the detective is watching for some reason. She and the detective both get out of a car, and when they come back, the part the grand daughter sat in is charred (I believe they insinuated it was from hell fire). They go to speak to a priest who tells her that haunting is serious, despite the detective's doubts. They go to a funeral home a learn how the body is made presentable, including wiring the jaw shut. Later, in a church, the grand mother walks up behind the grand daughter, and rasps "no one can help!" in her ear, and they find a chunk of the fabric she was wearing on the pew - evidence for reality. The G. Daughter also comments about how there was a bit of wire sticking out of the G.ma's mouth, etc.

And then, being like, 8, I fell asleep.

I need to finish this movie. It sits, half watched, in my mind like a cancer. I cannot excuse it until its narrative is complete.
    Help?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    The only issue I have with The Flight of Dragons book is the section on dragon flight, specifically the hydrogen generation.

In the animation (technically it's anime since all the animators were Japanese and had some input on the character designs), it's mentioned briefly in the very scene that Wraith remembers with Peter (the young green dragon) ruminating on the formation of hydrogen by reacting limestone (calcium) with stomach acid (hydrochloric acid).

While technically true, the calcium in limestone is only available as calcium carbonate and since stomach acid usually has a large amount of water available, you end up with carbon dioxide, water and calcium chloride instead.
    The author handwaves it away with 'various chemical processes that modulate and control the reaction', but you don't get to react elemental calcium with hydrochloric acid that way! You end up with exloding discworld dragons instead! ARGH!!!

*Cough*

Anyway, I did a bit of reasearch on biological hydrogen bioreactors and while they do exist naturally, they use sunlight as an additional energy input, so using that method instead, you have semi-transparent dragons that belch out water and all other manner of unpleasant biological chemicals, aka old D&D style green dragons with their poison breath.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, here's one I've asked before. Here's what I remember
    Bllions of years ago, life was formed on Earth by some master computer, in hopes of one life form with The Omega Factor.
    Cue nearfuture/present day Earthn, where a young man is ogling tennis players and giving them number ranks, then he sees this woman with long blond hair and is besmitten. Unknown to him HE has the omega factor, and she is a princess from Atlantis sent to protect him from android assassins.
    She succeeds and he is sent to Atlantis at some point in a transporter beam, but she doesn't make it.
    Earth is invaded by reptilian creatures lead by a General who looks human with wraparound shades, who discovers his emperor is a fraud created by the master computer of his world,. Our heroes, the sister of the woman who rescued him, and Queen of Atlantis, a purple man with no limbs called Hades, and of course Omega Boy* go through a black hole to fight the Evil Master computer.
    *Not his name
    So, can anyone help, please? There was a whole bunch more, but that's what I remember.
    It was animated and probably anime, though dubbed.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-09-17 at 03:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

I didnt' see the movie, just ads for it, but:

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    it stars another black funnyman, I'm pretty sure it's Martin Laurence, as a superhero who's afraid of heights so he only flies a foot and a half off the ground. I don't recall the title.
    Also, just to pick the proverbial nit:

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I need to finish this movie. It sits, half watched, in my mind like a cancer. I cannot excuse it until its narrative is complete.
    Help?
    I think you mean "excise".
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-09-17 at 03:55 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Here's one for ya! When I was younger, I watched a movie on HBO(I think, might have been Cinemax). It was a two part movie and I never got to see the second one. It was about an evil killing kitty cat, that had like a second mouth or something that would come out of it's main mouth. I want to think it had "Gato" in it somewhere, but that could just be three years of spanish in HS talking. The cat was seriously evil and extremely murderous from what I remember.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

That sounds like this, which is one of six movies Jared von Hindman intended to review about two years ago, but then his life kind of imploded and he never got them done. So all we have is the title "Uninvited" and a bunch of pictures he was intending to write funny captions about. If you would like to prod him to finally write this article I would be behind you 100%....

EDIT: Okay according to his Twitter feed he's incommunicado at the moment, so probably that's a no-go on the prodding. C'est la vie.
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-09-17 at 06:25 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pita View Post
    It's like an Outer Limits or Twilight episode, where you've got a few stories. One of them, the one I remember, has a guy move into a village with his son. What's weird about the village? Nobody plays any music. Nobody sings. There's a scene where he tries to make music with a glass, and someone breaks the glass. He pushes, and pushes, and at the end of the story the entire village is singing, and a giant cloud monster eats all of them. Then the narrator talks about respecting other peoples' beliefs.
    Given it has a moral dropping narrator at the end, it sounds very much like an Outer Limits or Twilight Zone episode.

A quick search of all the episodes of the two shows for 'music' doesn't throw up anything, which suggests to me it's a movie composed of a couple short stories strung together.

Unfortunately, there appears to be a lot of horror anthology movies and some trawling appears to be in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    It was animated and probably anime, though dubbed.
    I forget, are you based in the UK?

With regard to The Omega Factor, is that was it was actually called? 'Omega factor' and 'anime' throws up a lot of Astroboy links, which probably isn't what it was.

Can you remember the style of the animation(80s, 90s, etc)? It'll give me an idea of what time period to start looking through for dubbed anime (the older it is, the easier to find).
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2012-09-17 at 06:35 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm, does this thread work on cartoons too? (I can't remember if it was an animated movie or cartoon series)

I just remember watching this cartoon a while back, in the 90's I think. It was set on some kind of spaceship (I think it was a fighting ship, or carrier), where the captain had this ability to push the ship into "super mode" or something like that for limited periods of time.

I can't remember who they were fighting, what the name of the cartoon was, or who the main characters were. I only remember this one episode where they were getting chased so much they couldn't push the ship into hyper mode anymore.

Everything else about that cartoon has since merged with Wing Commander in my head.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Hmm, does this thread work on cartoons too? (I can't remember if it was an animated movie or cartoon series)

I just remember watching this cartoon a while back, in the 90's I think. It was set on some kind of spaceship (I think it was a fighting ship, or carrier), where the captain had this ability to push the ship into "super mode" or something like that for limited periods of time.

I can't remember who they were fighting, what the name of the cartoon was, or who the main characters were. I only remember this one episode where they were getting chased so much they couldn't push the ship into hyper mode anymore.

Everything else about that cartoon has since merged with Wing Commander in my head.
    Sounds like Battle of the Planets (also called G-Force and Gatchaman). Here's a shot of said 'captain' and the ship (named Phoenix), in normal mode:

Spoiler
    Show

Here's the ship being pushed into Fiery Phoenix mode, which they did burn out in at least one episode. I remember a very sweaty Mark struggling to shut it down before it killed them all:

Spoiler
    Show

Originally an early '70s thing, it's gotten a lot of replay and followup over the decades. Two sequal shows were eventually merged into something called Eagle Riders in the late '90s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    How did you have that image on standby......

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

I've been trying to remember these two for a little while now.

1. This is a book that I read at my uncle's house in Adelaide a couple of years ago. (And it looked to be fairly new then.)

It's about a group of "cavemen" (They look like humans but are capable of surviving on nothing but meat.) living in a highly segregated fantasy/ scifi world. Each competing species is teleported into a zone after the extinction of the species that existed in the area before it. Where they need to hunt and kill the better established species to survive.

The protagonist is a young vaugly misanthropic dreamer who just needs to prove himself to receive the adulation and respect of the tribe (they always are) with a bad stutter and what can only be described as a teeth fixation. (Fairly certain that it's not sexual.) Who discovers why the world works the way that it does when another humanoid falls from the sky in a space ship bringing a translator with her. The translator is one of the most useful objects they've ever encountered. (For obvious reasons.) And he and the maybe human vegan eventually fall in love while trying to find her a way off world/ planet/ something.

2. A movie this time. We had it on VHS when I was a kid so I'm guessing it's from the early 80's.

It's about an American stationed in Perth (maybe Darwin, I'm not sure.) during the second world war. And the phrase "Over paid, over sexed and over here." Was coined back then for a reason.

The film's about a big blonde guy getting drunk, fighting and molesting several women with his bunkmate and a simultaneous investigation into a recently discovered serial killer.

You'll never guess who it is.

I'd go into more detail but that's really all there is to it.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Unfortunately, there appears to be a lot of horror anthology movies and some trawling appears to be in order.
    None of these.
    Would it help if I mention that it was an American movie, and probably mid-1990s or earlier? I saw it maybe 10-15 years ago, on a movie channel that wasn't very up to date.
    Ceika is a beautiful, wonderful person. The avatar was made by his/her great talent, and depending on his/her sex and sexuality, I either have a giant crush or a totally appropriate liking for him/her.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

This one is a memory from a long time back, when I was a kid of maybe 10 or so - so the movie could be a good 20 years old. It might be a TV movie, I'm not sure.

I don't remember much about the movie, but it focused on a severely troubled boy who was jealous of his younger brother. The one scene that really sticks out in my mind is that they are on a lake in a canoe, and he dares or challenges his younger brother to swim a certain distance or something. So the younger brother gets in, no lifejacket, and starts to swim, but he begins to struggle, and asks his brother to help him back in the boat, but the older brother won't help him, and the younger kid drowns.

To my young self, this was a really disturbing scene, and it has stuck with me all this time, but I've never been able to find out the name of this movie. I FEEL like it was "Friend of the Family" or something similar, but Google just pulls up a soft-core porn of that name.

Not really a good description, I know, and only one scene to go on, but anyone have any idea what this movie is?
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Ok, I got one. Its a book I read a decade or two ago. In it a princess is captured by a dragon. The usual knights and such show up to rescue her, but for a reason I dont recall she doesnt WANT to be saved. She wants to stay with the dragon who is actually fairly friendly to her. She ends up meeting with a whole bunch of other dragons, and I believe her presence there is considered a problem, possibly due to her not following the cliches. I THINK the dragon dies at some point and she keeps on living there in the cave.
    This sounds very like Dragonsbane (from the Point Fantasy label). Except that she isn't kidnapped (she goes willingly as she wants to get out of a marriage) and the dragon in question doesn't actually die, however the King of the Dragons does.

There are problem with plotting wizards, unwanted knights, and several other princesses.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    In the animation (technically it's anime since all the animators were Japanese and had some input on the character designs), it's mentioned briefly in the very scene that Wraith remembers with Peter (the young green dragon) ruminating on the formation of hydrogen by reacting limestone (calcium) with stomach acid (hydrochloric acid).

While technically true, the calcium in limestone is only available as calcium carbonate and since stomach acid usually has a large amount of water available, you end up with carbon dioxide, water and calcium chloride instead.
    The author handwaves it away with 'various chemical processes that modulate and control the reaction', but you don't get to react elemental calcium with hydrochloric acid that way! You end up with exloding discworld dragons instead! ARGH!!!
    Probably doesn't help at all, but I'm pretty sure the book said it was just bone, not limestone. Limestone bones seems like it'd be... weird.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I have one too,

I saw it a long time ago on the fff (fantasy film fest) I think, my memory about it is really hazy.
    Its very similar to Groundhog Day in that the protagonist is also trapped in a time loop, but in the case of this movie it was only 1 hour or so.

Spoiler
    Show

So with no way of getting out of it he first tries to kill himself many different ways and pretty much goes totally nuts and becomes a driveling husk of a human being... I don´t recall there being a happy end.
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2012-09-17 at 09:23 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I've got one that's already stumped another fantasy forum.
    When I was a kid I watched a movie with my big sister, and I still have nightmares about it.
    It could be an episode of one of those shows, it could be a movie. I don't remember anything else about it. Anyone got something?
    None of these.
    Would it help if I mention that it was an American movie, and probably mid-1990s or earlier? I saw it maybe 10-15 years ago, on a movie channel that wasn't very up to date.
    The bit with the glass in particular sounds very familiar. Can't quite place it though, and no results online.