New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #599 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    And Elan should have gone with sharks from the get-go. They've been known to devour bodies whole.
    I was thinking ill-tempered mutated seabass.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Massy View Post
    I was thinking ill-tempered mutated seabass.
    He could have told that the sea turned acid for some moment. More believable, you agree?

EDIT: ops! I turned Orc!
    Last edited by Laurentio II; 2008-10-08 at 06:54 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh no.
    I'm even more convinced the next strip will be Vaarsuvius getting ultimate power.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Banned

Woo! Go V! I actually do agree with the fact that the other OotS members that were with him on the ship weren't exactly helping to find Haley. Elan became Hinjo's bodyguard, while Durkon was basically the only cleric aboard the fleet.

I've always thought of V as the guy who has to make tough decisions, but unlike sappy BAD fantasy novels, he doesn't whine and get all angsty about it. Instead, like a real person in a position of power, he actually makes these decisions.

And that's why the Giant is an awesome storyteller.

As for Qarr... I think it's going to be that he tries to subvert V, but will fail miserably. V is still Neutral, and he still cares about Haley and Roy, and he'll know that working with an imp is never a good thing for mortal spellcasters.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

This is gonna be hilarious. Lien will find Kubota's armor on the seafloor, and report that he got away again.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Red wizard needs sleep badly.

I sense an attempt at on the devil's part to charm V which will work because:

A) V is too tired to mentally fight back
    +
    B) Plot device Mr. Frodo. Plot device.

The real question is why Qarr wants to get on the ship. Does he not know Kubota is dead? While I do enjoy this story arc, I hope it doesn't spend much time on Qarr finding out.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Ooooooh, foreshadowing for 600 anyone? ^^' I'm sure the 'V's four words' thread will grow to 20 sites within the next days ^^'

Anyway, great comic again. But why didn't Elan say... er... Kubota got eaten by a giant shark. Or kraken. (Yay, movie references) Anyway, who needs a traitorous bastardy body anyway? It's not like he deserves a funeral or so.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

eek Re: OOTS #599 - The Discussion Thread

Oh dear. Horrors...

I have a feeling that this is NOT going to end well for anyone involved. V is especially in danger - in V's weakened state V won't be able to really concentrate and realize that the little red devil isn't the best advisor in the world.

Now I can't wait for 600. Can't wait, can't wait, can't...
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Oh no.
    I'm even more convinced the next strip will be Vaarsuvius getting ultimate power.
    It's been said before, but it bears repeating: there's no way V can obtain ultimate power anytime much before the end of the strip, because ultimate power implies he could defeat anyone--Xykon, Hinjo, Qaar, the entire rest of the OotS working together--without much effort. Unless, of course, he somehow gains ultimate arcane power and then loses it again almost instantly, and again, I can't see that happening right here and now...

10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

What if v finds haley and tells her elan was cheating and didnt try to go find her? that would be sad and so would i.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dun DUN DUUUUHN!
    Best strip for ages and I'm not saying the others been bad!
    Who would expect Qarr to be such a good sport even apologizing to his old poker buddy?
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    It's been said before, but it bears repeating: there's no way V can obtain ultimate power anytime much before the end of the strip, because ultimate power implies he could defeat anyone--Xykon, Hinjo, Qaar, the entire rest of the OotS working together--without much effort.
    This is assuming that V remains a protagonist. If V becomes an antagonist, the sky is the limit.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    V will find a secluded lair in which to finish the ritual of Lichdom.

Then, once transformed as an undead abomination, it will be able to work ceaselessly on achieving real ultimate power!

Or maybe not. But he looks about as alive as Michael Jackson.
    Why would V become a lich? It would slow down her quest for ultimate arcane power.

14. - Top - End - #74

So, if the cloister wears off and V find Haley & Co. this will prove to her that her theory about Elan and Durkon being the factors interfering with her earlier attempts is correct and thus give her no reason to ever return to the group

15. - Top - End - #75
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    This is assuming that V remains a protagonist. If V becomes an antagonist, the sky is the limit.
    Again, someone with "ultimate arcane power" can beat anyone. If V's still a good guy, Team Evil get turned into small lizards of some description, and it's all over. OotS won, yay!

If V becomes a bad guy with ultimate arcane power, it's the Order who may be facing lizarddom. Again it's all over, but a lot more tragically.

What may happen is that V gets ultimate arcane power and realises that (s)he doesn't actually know how (s)he wants to use it. Then it's up to the Order (probably Haley) to talk him/her down.
    Last edited by Daibhid C; 2008-10-08 at 07:15 AM.
    Overly logical member of the Elan's modron concience fanclub.
    I am a: Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th level)
    Find out What Kind of Dungeons and Dragons Character Would You Be?, courtesy of Easydamus

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

Wow, "dire half-dragon bone-eating saltwater werepiranhas"? That's a natural 20 on Craft(Improvised Quick Monster Generation)! :D

Yet another good comic, with a good ending!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SoC175 View Post
    So, if the cloister wears off and V find Haley & Co. this will prove to her that her theory about Elan and Durkon being the factors interfering with her earlier attempts is correct and thus give her no reason to ever return to the group
    Gosh! This will be a major plot element, for the fifty seconds it takes to Haley to dismiss the imbroglio! Or you base your prevision on a complete lack of communication?

No, wait, I support this theory. But just because I want Vaarsuvius go hyper, to see if he use the "Whooo! Who is the man baby? Who is the man?" line. This would close a very long issue!
    Last edited by Laurentio II; 2008-10-08 at 07:19 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by SoC175 View Post
    Well, I suspect that Haley may want to rejoin Elan, which would leave V to choose between following, or going to all that effort to find Haley, and then just leave her.

(Even if V tells Haley about Therkla, I doubt she's going to take the word of an elf who looks like five miles of difficult terrain.)
    Last edited by Daibhid C; 2008-10-08 at 07:20 AM.
    Overly logical member of the Elan's modron concience fanclub.
    I am a: Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th level)
    Find out What Kind of Dungeons and Dragons Character Would You Be?, courtesy of Easydamus

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Drayakir View Post

As for Qarr... I think it's going to be that he tries to subvert V, but will fail miserably. V is still Neutral, and he still cares about Haley and Roy, and he'll know that working with an imp is never a good thing for mortal spellcasters.
    Actually, even if V was evil she would still care about Haley: Evil does/can care about friends.

Maybe V will become a Fiend Binder from ToM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

Oooooo.... the plot thickens (or continues to thicken).

I wonder if Elan's (apparently unconvincing) lie will come back to bite him? And what nefarious plans does Qaar have for our poor addled elf?

I liked Elan kind of going full circle with his "It's probably for the best" line as well. Kind of similar to what he said when Kubota shuffled off the mortal coil. All in all another top notch strip.

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur
    This is gonna be hilarious. Lien will find Kubota's armor on the seafloor, and report that he got away again.
    That would be a bit of a funny play on the old cliche - the one where a body isn't found so presumably they could still be alive (like Murdoc, from Macguyver). Of course we know he's dead, so does Elan and V, but everyone else could think he's out there, just waiting to return .

21. - Top - End - #81
    Pixie in the Playground

eek Re: OOTS #599 - The Discussion Thread

I have to quote the "Dun DUN DUUUUHN!"

First impression: "Damn, V is going to be beaten up or maybe (s)he will become an anatagonist"
    Second thought: "(S)he has a profecy, (s)he has to gain ultimate power, (s)he cannot die"
    Third thought: "...when will be online the magnificient-20 panels long-full of explaining-plotness-incredible act by V-600th strip?"
    MaxDibe

22. - Top - End - #82

I probably shouldn't be surprised, but I still am a bit disappointed that Elan tried to cover up for V.

V, however, nearly made sense. He actually redeemed himself a bit in my eyes, which shows how disappointed in he I am.

I fear for the Order now. And for Hinjo.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

I really hope people aren't still thinking it's going to slow. Stuff is definitely happenning here (and not only Lien proving that V's still not Evil).

Go V! I can't say it's a bad decision, although I'm worried about the imp. Also, worried that Haley and Roy will find V, but not the other two or something. We'll have to see.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

I have said it before, someone needs to rock V to sleep/trance. Step one, Find a big rock.... Step 2, Hit V with big rock. Step 3, Run for the hills.

First rule of GM'ing: If the party splits up, giggle insanely.

Starknight

25. - Top - End - #85
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've been wondering for some time if V would leave them and go off alone... but I still didn't expect it to happen.
    600 should be good, this certainly has been building up for awhile.

EDIT: Awww, I just noticed the sad look on Durkon's face after V flies away.
    Last edited by Lira; 2008-10-08 at 07:43 AM.
    Credits to half-halfling for my adorable avatar.

Come visit the Discussion Thread Index II.
    Looking for a new webcomic to read? Take a look at the Webcomic List.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Hmm ... possibilities here. I can't say I'm thrilled with the fact that the party has split even further, but it's true to the characters and a plausible development.

I suspect there will be a satisfying payoff in the near- to mid-term future.

Y'know, for a bard, Elan's a terrible liar, isn't he? I mean, he was doing okay up to the point of the piranhas, but now he's just fabricating to such an extent no one of even moderate intelligence could possibly believe him.

Better answer:
    Hinjo: "We'll go find the body".
    Elan: "You do that."

And SHUT UP.

Come to think of it ... going back to the 'inspiring the troops' sequence of Azure City -- Elan doesn't actually seem to be very effective as a bard.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

27. - Top - End - #87

Well, we know how strip 600 will be important now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

28. - Top - End - #88
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Starknight View Post
    First rule of GM'ing: If the party splits up, giggle insanely.
    Nice one, but not the first. The first RPG rule is "The GM is always right".
    The first GM rule is "Players are always wrong"!

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Fifty points for everybody who theorized a Vaarsuvius/Qarr tag-team! Have yourselves a cookie!
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

30. - Top - End - #90

RedWizardGuy

Thumbs down Re: Aw Man....

Quote Originally Posted by Aurorax View Post
    Aw man....we further breaking up the group?
    it is hard to disagree.

roy is dead for over 150 strips, oots spliting up more, and with lesser funny and more aggresive dialogues in every strip. it seems it's now ex-oots, since all members are seperated, which is not fun in my point of view. and payoff wont come for the next 100 strips or so it seems..

it changed a lot from the strip #1, hope some nice differences will come with #600, like the old days of oots.
    Feel, don't think. Use your instincts.