New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [4e Paragon Path] "My sword and I are one. You are in two" (PEACH)

Soul Sword
    “My mind is as sharp as the blade before you; test neither”

Prerequisite: Swordmage

Tashi Gyrspike, a Soul Sword tutored by Duergar Masters.
    Photo from Photobucket.com

The Anarchs of Shyr were started by the chaotic Genasi, and embodies the Aegis of Assault. The Coronal Guards of Armanthor were started by the Eladrin of the Feywild, and they emulate the defensive capabilities of swordmages of that school. The Umbriri style was begun by the Netherese, and embodies the power of shadows and dark magic combined with trickery of the blade. The Wandering Swordmagi of legends of old take the most interesting and eccentric parts of every mentor they study under and combine it into one deadly package.
    All of these disciplines are beneath you. You are a Soul Sword, and your bond with your blade is absolute. While elves fenced in the Feywild and the Genasi razed cities with uncontrolled elemental might, you honed your body and mind in the bowels of the Underdark. Your style has its roots in the practices of the Duergar. Your mind is as fearsome a weapon as your blade, and opponents must watch both carefully.

Soul Sword Path Features
    Swordbond Mastery (11th level): You can call your bonded weapon as a free action instead of minor one. You can call your blade from up to 5 miles away.
    Intense Focus Action (11th level): When you spend an action point to take a total defence action or spend your second wind, you gain an additional +3 bonus to each of your defences.
    Mental Warding (16th level): Your Swordmage Warding applies to your Will defence as well as your AC.

Soul Sword Powers

Twofold Attack Soul Sword Attack 11
    “You strike your foe with your blade, assaulting their mind as they attempt to protect themselves.”“
    Encounter * Arcane, Psychic, Weapon
    Standard Action Melee Weapon
    Attack: Intelligence vs. AC
    Hit: 2[W] + intelligence modifier damage.
    You make a secondary attack: If the first attack missed, you gain a +2 bonus to the attack roll on the secondary attack.
    Secondary Attack: Intelligence vs. Will
    Hit: 1d6 + intelligence modifier psychic damage and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn.

Psionic Shield Soul Sword Utility 12
    “Your warding is great, and it can be used to protect others with enough concentration”
    Daily * Arcane, Stance
    Minor Action Ranged 5
    Effect: Select 1 ally within 5 squares. As long as they remain within 5 squares of you, they gain a bonus to their AC equal to your warding bonus.

Psionic Storm Soul Sword Attack 20

“Bolts of psionic lightning crackle down your blade as you force foes back with a mighty discharge”
    Daily * Arcane, Psychic, Lightning, Weapon
    Standard Action Close Blast 5
    Target: Each creature in blast
    Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
    Hit: 3d8 + intelligence modifier psychic and lightning damage and ongoing 10 psychic and lightning damage (save ends).

Enjoy and PEACH.
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2008-11-06 at 08:36 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [4e Paragon Path] "My sword and I are one. You are in two" (PEACH)

I like the swordmage, and it's good to see new paths for it. I like this one very much, and I would consider using it. However, I have a few questions and suggestions for it.

For intense focus action, you should specify how long the bonuses last. I assume it's until the beginning or end of your next turn, but with RAW it could be seen as indefinite.

For psionic shield, do the normal requirements for warding still apply? For example, if you fall unconscious and lose your warding, do they still get their bonus? If you put an object in your off hand, do they lose part of the bonus as you do, or does it stay the same as when it was granted?

Mental Warding seems very powerful, somewhat more so than the Coronal Guard's Improved Swordmage Armour. However, the first feature seems less robust than any of the CGs, so it likely balances out.

Psionic Storm does seem too powerful to me. Compared to the Anarch of Shyr's Shyran Cataclysm (Clost blast 5, 5d8 +int damage of several elements) it seems extremely good. I would suggest making it a close blast 5, or perhaps a close burst 2 or 3.

Overall it seems quite well thought-out. Most of my problems with it were just about rule interpretation. Another well-done homebrew.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alteran View Post
    I like the swordmage, and it's good to see new paths for it. I like this one very much, and I would consider using it. However, I have a few questions and suggestions for it.

For intense focus action, you should specify how long the bonuses last. I assume it's until the beginning or end of your next turn, but with RAW it could be seen as indefinite.

By RAW it is until end of next turn. It is a +3 additional bonus to what you already get for SW or TD, which last until the end of your next turn

For psionic shield, do the normal requirements for warding still apply? For example, if you fall unconscious and lose your warding, do they still get their bonus? If you put an object in your off hand, do they lose part of the bonus as you do, or does it stay the same as when it was granted?

You are managing the Warding, so the normal requirements still apply.

Mental Warding seems very powerful, somewhat more so than the Coronal Guard's Improved Swordmage Armour. However, the first feature seems less robust than any of the CGs, so it likely balances out.

I'll see what some others think. I was sorta worried 'bout this one

Psionic Storm does seem too powerful to me. Compared to the Anarch of Shyr's Shyran Cataclysm (Clost blast 5, 5d8 +int damage of several elements) it seems extremely good. I would suggest making it a close blast 5, or perhaps a close burst 2 or 3.

Did I put Close Burst? I meant Close Blast. What was I thinking? This is a typo, thanks.

Overall it seems quite well thought-out. Most of my problems with it were just about rule interpretation. Another well-done homebrew.

Thanks
    My replies in Bold.
    My Homebrew
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

I really like, this, and I will probably use it, although I still might go with coronal guard.

I like the first level 11 thingy, because athough it is mostly fluff, it is still kinda cool, but I think the second level 11 thingy is a little situational. I mean, I don't think it is very likely anybody would use up an action point just for total defence, an although they might for a healing surge, it would only be if they were realy deperate. Maybe you could get rid of the action point part but reduce the bonus to +1. Also mental warding might be a little overpowered, don't really know.

As for the powers, I like the utility, but i think in the text you should specify "until the end of te encounter" because otherwise people will abuse it and get +3 AC and just follow around the swordmage.
    Also, I like the other two powers; they make good use of the duergar extra damage with psychic racial ability. Nice job overall.
    Many thanks to Lord Fullbladder for the most excellent avatar!

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Monsters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Races:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tuataralad View Post
    I really like, this, and I will probably use it, although I still might go with coronal guard.

I like the first level 11 thingy, because athough it is mostly fluff, it is still kinda cool, but I think the second level 11 thingy is a little situational. I mean, I don't think it is very likely anybody would use up an action point just for total defence, an although they might for a healing surge, it would only be if they were realy deperate. Maybe you could get rid of the action point part but reduce the bonus to +1. Also mental warding might be a little overpowered, don't really know.

They need an Action Point feature. I can see a Swordmage using TD on an Action Point. Esp. when they are maintaing possibly several marks at paragon tier and taking quite a beating.

As for the powers, I like the utility, but i think in the text you should specify "until the end of te encounter" because otherwise people will abuse it and get +3 AC and just follow around the swordmage.
    Also, I like the other two powers; they make good use of the duergar extra damage with psychic racial ability.

The Utility is a stance. Until end of encounter is implicit in a stance power.

Nice job overall.

Thanks
    Comments in bold again.
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #6

One thing I forgot to put in my first post: I think that psionic storm should be an implement power instead of a weapon power, it seems like the weapon is just the instrument used to focus the magical energy. Therefore, implement.

Blast and burst are too easy to mix up.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alteran View Post
    One thing I forgot to put in my first post: I think that psionic storm should be an implement power instead of a weapon power, it seems like the weapon is just the instrument used to focus the magical energy. Therefore, implement.

Blast and burst are too easy to mix up.
    Shyran Cataclysm is a Weapon Power, and when you use it, you open up a rift to the Elemental Chaos with your Sword and let it gobble people up. I figure this is just as much weapon as Shyran Cataclysm, but I may change. It means losing +2-3 prof bonus vs. Shyran Cataclysm though.
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #8

I don't necessarily agree with SC being a weapon power either. However, it does target AC, which is usually higher than the other defenses. This is how wizards and warlocks get by without proficiency bonuses, they attack weaker defenses. Psionic storm targets reflex, so I think that getting weapon prof as well may be too much.

9. - Top - End - #9

Good to see you making PPs again. It's solid, but a bit boring. The fluff is basically "You aren't like other swordmages. You use the power of your mind!"

I agree with Alteran that Psionic Shield Soul Sword, while a great alliteration, is too powerful. Reduce the range to 3, and it's much more balanced, while still retaining the flavor and not completely nerfing it..
    Step 1: Get workers to make goods for you.
    Step 2: Sell the goods for a higher amount than what you pay the workers.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!

Thanks to Mortugg for my current avatar, and for this steampunk version:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

I really like this PP.

Psionic storm targets reflex, so I think that getting weapon prof as well may be too much.
    It's not too much.
    Last edited by KKL; 2008-11-06 at 09:02 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    It's not too much.
    Yeah... especially when Paladins get Encounter Weapon attacks that target Will from their normal power progression...

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Zocelot View Post
    ...Psionic Shield Soul Sword, while a great alliteration, is too powerful.
    Soul Sword is just the name of the path. I think clearer spacing is in order.

I'm not saying it is very overpowered, but having a close blast five attack that targets defenses that are usually weaker AND gets weapon prof could be overdoing it. Maybe I'm wrong, it's a bit of a fine line. I think that the extra 2 or 3 bonus is quite significant when you're (presumably) targeting as many foes as possible. This power has roots in Shyran Cataclysm, which, as I said, has the weapon prof, but also attacks a stronger defense. I'll argue that the effects of each are comparable (ongoing 10 vs. a bit more damage and taking advantage of vulnerabilities), so I think that giving this the extra bonus is the little edge that could make this power that much more devastating.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Elf View Post
    Shyran Cataclysm is a Weapon Power, and when you use it, you open up a rift to the Elemental Chaos with your Sword and let it gobble people up. I figure this is just as much weapon as Shyran Cataclysm, but I may change. It means losing +2-3 prof bonus vs. Shyran Cataclysm though.
    I am sorry to bug you Mr. shadow elf... But I love your classes / paragon paths. I was wondering how you do it so well. I have tried myself and ear i may not be smart enough. You would be doing me a huge favor if you could do your versin od the eldritch knight paragon path for swordmages that has been recently scrapped by essentials. For 4th ed pre essentials. Or if you know where i can find one that you approve of . Any help you can lend would be appreciated . Thank you in advance ....
    casper
    When there is no more room on the internet the nerds will roam the earth