New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Things you never noticed II: I never noticed the first thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nevereatcars View Post
    I just moticed that Thog's fanboy that got killed was waving a red flag. star trek
    The red flag is simply the flag of the Empire of Blood. It's all over the place.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acora View Post
    I never noticed that in 203, when the OotS is claiming to be completely innocent, both Haley and V seem to be freaking out a bit, while Belkar is perfectly fine. Didn't know the little bugger had such a good Bluff skill. I also never noticed V's line: "Yes. None of us have even tampered with the fundamental natural order when bored. That would be wrong."
    It's probably also that Belkar sincerely doesn't believe he's doing anything wrong. This is also shown in OOPC, and stated in DSTP.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Klear View Post
    The red flag is simply the flag of the Empire of Blood. It's all over the place.
    Yeah, but its RED! And the guy DIED!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodan View Post
    I must be the least observant person on the planet.

I JUST noticed, after reading the comic since 2007ish, THAT V HAS BEEN WEARING A CLOAK SINCE COMIC 1

4. - Top - End - #214
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nevereatcars View Post
    Yeah, but its RED! And the guy DIED!
    So... it's not a red shirt, it's just red. and there's a really good reason for it to be red. I really think you're overanalyzing there Nevereatcars.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

The Empire of Blood guards all have red belts. And lots of them have died! It's a red-shirt empire!

6. - Top - End - #216
    Colossus in the Playground

Vaarsuvius is going to die!

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

The empress of blood is SUPER dead.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Yes, of course. The thing is that you're retroactively assuming that it did, which is the joke. A bit meta, isn't it?
    I can see what you mean, but I don't think that's right. In the first case, Elan specifically invokes the idea of retroactive assumption, whereas in the latter, he simply states that the training had taken place. There's a difference between a character explicitly trying to "game the system" versus just stating something to have happened off-panel.

Given the whole fight and reconciliation after the "Elanicalicus" incident, the best explanation is that Elan is simply telling the truth, and Vaarsuvius has been training him magically despite Elan not actually multiclassing to wizard. That's not really an assumption, that's just believing what a character says (and noting its consistency with other evidence).
    HUMANS....... ARE....... SUPERIORRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But she was naked! And all... articulate!!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Bugbear in the Playground

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0085.html

Roy has Belkar's knife sticking out of him.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Things you never noticed II

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Okay, it makes sense that they are colours on the cave wall, I'll grant you that point. Even so, there's no reason why the colours would run uphill. They would still run horizontally in the background even when the ground slopes.

In #524 there are people on 2 levels of the cave, there's probably a slope to get from the lower to the higher. The bands of colour in the cave would still run horizontally behind the slope, right?
    How does that work? If something is running along the floor, does it disappear when the floor starts to slope up?

Here is a picture.
    ____

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Er, I'm not sure Inception was out at that point.

Edit: Yeah, #610 is a 2008 comic. Inception came out two years later. Bit early for a reference, eh?
    What was the (presumably edited out) guess at an Inception reference?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

He edited it out? Dat's lame. For future reference, it's more proper to edit in a 'this was silly!' correction than edit out something that's been replied to.

Anyway, the supposed reference in question was Shojo's "Do you hear the music? Time's almost up, Belkar."
    Last edited by The Linker; 2011-07-20 at 11:03 PM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Things you never noticed II

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Why do you give us these ideas when we know they will never happen.
    I was kinda hoping that it was a little early to rule it out.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAngel View Post
    How does that work? If something is running along the floor, does it disappear when the floor starts to slope up?

Here is a picture.
    No, but coloration is generally due to standing water and sediments settling, which flatten out with gravity. Running water generally doesn’t leave a stain on stone.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Barbarian in the Playground

OK so I just noticed that Elan has his sash resting over his right shoulder and Nale has his on the left; furthermore, when Nale does his switch-places plot in Cliffport and exchanges clothes with Elan, even though he put on Elan's sash, Nale was still wearing it over the left shoulder... and had clothed Elan with Nale's sash over the right shoulder.

However, come strip #378, Nale-as-Elan is wearing the sash over the right shoulder, which (in that strip and immediate follow-ups) was the last time we saw Nale in a sash - seems to either be an error/oversight or an indication that Nale realized he should use the other shoulder to get the disguise correct, at some point.

The next appearance of a sash is #742 (sashless all that time!) where Elan is wearing a sash in his usual style, and this time Tarquin is also in a sash... over the left shoulder, Nale-style.

Not sure if this has any significance or if I'm reading too much into it.

15. - Top - End - #225

Quote Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
    OK so I just noticed that Elan has his sash resting over his right shoulder and Nale has his on the left; furthermore, when Nale does his switch-places plot in Cliffport and exchanges clothes with Elan, even though he put on Elan's sash, Nale was still wearing it over the left shoulder... and had clothed Elan with Nale's sash over the right shoulder.

However, come strip #378, Nale-as-Elan is wearing the sash over the right shoulder, which (in that strip and immediate follow-ups) was the last time we saw Nale in a sash - seems to either be an error/oversight or an indication that Nale realized he should use the other shoulder to get the disguise correct, at some point.
    The reason for the change is the second-to-last panel here. V tells Nale-as-Elan that his sash is on backwards.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

In strip 98, the party is doused with barbecue sauce. In strip 99, Vaarsuvius is clean again.

This is probably intentional: V has the habit of using Prestidigitation spells to clean himself, and thus can get clean faster than the rest of the party.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not sure if this was said before, but I've never noticed that Rich foreshadowed Tarquin(Spelling?) in strip 236, by Haley. Who's father is being held by him.
    Titles, Achievements, and Quotes of Honor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Infernal Teamworker - City of Shadows Wondering if anyone is still checking this...
    Ruler of the City - City of Shadows Hello? Anyone there? PM me if you want the Color Code.
    The Fallen Chessmaster - Center WW I don't really see a reason to get rid of this.
    The Manipulative/The Opaque - Demons WW Its kind of neat.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

We already knew that Nale had been raised by his evil warlord father since strip #50. It's not foreshadowing, just a reference to that.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2011-07-21 at 09:08 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html
    Panel 10.
    Spoiler
    Show
    V does exactly this in the soul splice arc (minus the "other elf" obviously)

20. - Top - End - #230

I only just now noticed Belkar's joke about Bozzok in panel 4 of this strip.

Oh, Belkar.
    Last edited by Wonton; 2011-07-22 at 01:27 PM.
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

21. - Top - End - #231

Quote Originally Posted by Wonton View Post
    I only just now noticed Belkar's joke about Bozzok in panel 4 of this strip.

Oh, Belkar.
    You know, I'd forgotten about that strip. I really do wonder what's up with Geoff, and whether we should trust him.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    You know, I'd forgotten about that strip. I really do wonder what's up with Geoff, and whether we should trust him.
    Considering it took place less than 30 strips ago, I'm amazed at how little I remember it.

Anyway, I thought it would take me very long to find another one, but actually, there was one in the fourth strip I read: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0302.html

Panel one, a guy is winking at the girl next to him.
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wonton View Post
    Considering it took place less than 30 strips ago, I'm amazed at how little I remember it.

Anyway, I thought it would take me very long to find another one, but actually, there was one in the fourth strip I read: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0302.html

Panel one, a guy is winking at the girl next to him.
    Good catch, I never noticed that and it's actually a strip I've read frequently because I find it amusing.
    Cruncher of the Kibbles of Wisdom

Avatar courtesy of Dashwood. Thank you!

24. - Top - End - #234
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    I don't want to get too into main story here, but check out panel 8: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0609.html

and panels 8-11 of: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0770.html

I think it's clear who Bozzok wrote to, and why the keep finding him when he escapes.

25. - Top - End - #235

From that same strip (770), I just noticed another line from Ian: "smart people aren't cut out to be gladiators."

Ian and Thog apparently understood this better than Roy...
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Like the grue lurking in your bedroom waiting for you to fall asleep.
    But perhaps some things are better left unseen...
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

26. - Top - End - #236
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

This is something I noticed when I first read the strip, but I'm pretty sure no one else did.

Tarquin's drink throughout 763 gets empties as he takes sips from it. I believe panels 19 and 20 are goofed: the drink is at the same level as it was when Tarquin took his second sip, then the glass suddenly empties a bit in panel 21.
    Last edited by Alagaesian; 2011-07-22 at 07:40 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237

Quote Originally Posted by Alagaesian View Post
    This is something I noticed when I first read the strip, but I'm pretty sure no one else did.

Tarquin's drink throughout 763 gets empties as he takes sips from it. I believe panels 19 and 20 are goofed: the drink is at the same level as it was when Tarquin took his second sip, then the glass suddenly empties a bit in panel 21.
    WHOA! All that attention to detail... Giant, I am stunned. That is amazing. And now I see why the last panel is funny too.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

In the last panel of 728 you can see Roy wearing Haley's bow, which she lost in 713. It's knocked off of Roy's back in 729 and it's on the floor in 732. She has it back in 750, though she doesn't use it. Presumably Durkon picked it up at some point and returned it to her.
    Also, 750 has an appearance of Haley's sap, which others have chronicled the history of.

And the entire Gladiator subplot has the same background characters running through it. Evisceratus, for example, actually had several lines and a slight personality.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elvenwonder View Post
    In the last panel of 728 you can see Roy wearing Haley's bow, which she lost in 713. It's knocked off of Roy's back in 729 and it's on the floor in 732. She has it back in 750, though she doesn't use it. Presumably Durkon picked it up at some point and returned it to her.
    Also, 750 has an appearance of Haley's sap, which others have chronicled the history of.

And the entire Gladiator subplot has the same background characters running through it. Evisceratus, for example, actually had several lines and a slight personality.
    You can see dinosaur in the first panel in 780. Never noticed that.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

In 798, 2nd page, 7th panel Thog is missing his left shackle.