New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: So, there's a new Star Wars trailer...

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    You know what's also a fleet killer. Snoke's flagship, and they were able to stay out of range of that, Not only that but if they'd left when they were supposed to, it would have taken longer for the First Order to even get to them.
    No it's not. The Supremacy is a flying base more than a ship. It's a flying factory and shipyard. It has literally no reason to be there.

Also, them leaving slightly sooner wouldn't have saved them considering how fast the FO got there
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Given that the Dreadnaught did not kill the fleet while the bombers were busy slowly drifting into position for attack, I think its safe to say that its mere presence on the battlefield is not automatically a death sentence for the Resistance ships. Poe makes it pretty clear that he goes after it for the sake of killing it rather than any actual strategic advantage doing so gains them.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Given that the Dreadnaught did not kill the fleet while the bombers were busy slowly drifting into position for attack, I think its safe to say that its mere presence on the battlefield is not automatically a death sentence for the Resistance ships. Poe makes it pretty clear that he goes after it for the sake of killing it rather than any actual strategic advantage doing so gains them.
    They state the cannon is charging up. The FO fleet cannot be outrun or hidden from the moment they enter the system, and the bombers appear to be the only way to neutralize the threat the dreadnought presents.

The movie goes out of its way to undercut itself.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #184
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    old-canon said it only took a day or less for a single Imperial Star Destroyer to do something like that to an Earth-like planet, and the Disney canon, or at least the Sequel Trilogy, has been fairly consistent about pretty much everything the First Order has being bigger, better, or more powerful than the Empire's equivalents.
    It has also tended to downplay the Empire's orbital bombardment capabilties compared to the Legendsverse. Rebels series especially.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2019-08-31 at 12:53 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    It has also tended to downplay the Empire's orbital bombardment capabilties compared to the Legendsverse. Rebels series especially.
    I think that was more reluctance. Yes they could, but you need a very compelling reason to do it. In any event, they had like two dozen Star Destroyers and those are twice the size of an Imp II, so I'm pretty sure that 5 could glass a planet in reasonable time

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    They didn't do it because Hux apparently lost over half of his IQ in between movies and went to shoot the base instead of the fleet. The cannons fired before the bombers ever made it and the only reason they do make it is because Hux is once again a complete and utter moron and doesn't have his fighters screening them.

Seriously, he violates so much SOP in that sequence it hurts my brain.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2019-08-31 at 01:11 AM.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #186
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    I think that was more reluctance. Yes they could, but you need a very compelling reason to do it.
    The idea in The Siege of Atollon seems to be that atmosphere attenuates Star Destroyer bolts - so when they're battering down the Rebel bases's shields (which would imply full-power shots in order to drain the shields quickly), those bolts that miss, produce tiny explosions when they hit planetary surface - striking near Kanan on his speeder bike.

When they're trying to obliterate Lothal's city later in the series, instead of attacking from high orbit, the Destroyers attack from deep within the atmosphere.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

7. - Top - End - #187
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Re: those wondering how the new resistance bombers are in any way worse than the ships that came before it in SW:

First manned vehicle to destroy itself upon successful delivery of its payload.

A doy.

Other points I'd like to add are already addressed by others so i won't pile on. Suffice to say +1 to the frustrations aimed at TLJ.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Bugbear in the Playground

So it seems like re watching ROTJ is more likely to be a satisfying use of my time than watching this lol.
    Beautiful Avatar thanks to Gengy

Hangs out on the World building forums

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Spoiler: The gift that keeps on giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving some more
    Show
    Spoiler: Metric tons of giving
    Show
    Spoiler: Keep going
    Show
    Spoiler: Suprise
    Show

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

The big red flag for me is how little prequel footage there is.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    The big red flag for me is how little prequel footage there is.
    The ideal amount is zero.

Followed by finding all copies and burning them.

And then getting hold of those red flashy thingies from Men in Black and mind-wiping all of us so we can forget they ever existed.

Seriously, as many problems as the new films have I still enjoyed watching them in theatre, even if the plots fall apart in later analysis. I cannot say the same for the prequels, which managed to have even flimsier plots and be BORING at the same time.

The only thing worthwhile out of any of those films was some of the Darth Maul fight. And that's mostly because Battle of the Fates is an awesome song.

Oh, and I guess they technically killed N'Sync at one point. So that's something.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Oh, and I guess they technically killed N'Sync at one point. So that's something.
    What? I thought Justin Timberlake did that.

12. - Top - End - #192

And then getting hold of those red flashy thingies from Men in Black and mind-wiping all of us so we can forget they ever existed.

Seriously, as many problems as the new films have I still enjoyed watching them in theatre, even if the plots fall apart in later analysis. I cannot say the same for the prequels, which managed to have even flimsier plots and be BORING at the same time.

The only thing worthwhile out of any of those films was some of the Darth Maul fight. And that's mostly because Battle of the Fates is an awesome song.

A.) There a lot of redeeming features in the Prequel Trilogy, just as there are a lot of redeeming features in the Sequel Trilogy (despite my propensity for calling out the bad features IMO). For example, in TFA, the lights aver duel was vastly better than the prequels, since those were a highly choreographed dance with laser swords while Finn, Rey, and Kylo Ren were actually trying to look like they were fighting.

2.) I don't get the N'Sync line.

13. - Top - End - #193

Possibly relevant - RLM has a new episode of the Nerd Crew (warning: strong language):

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-09-01 at 09:18 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    A.) There a lot of redeeming features in the Prequel Trilogy, just as there are a lot of redeeming features in the Sequel Trilogy (despite my propensity for calling out the bad features IMO). For example, in TFA, the lights aver duel was vastly better than the prequels, since those were a highly choreographed dance with laser swords while Finn, Rey, and Kylo Ren were actually trying to look like they were fighting.
    I count Obi-wan. And I'm blanking on anything else.

Or are we counting every individual Obi-line as a redeeming feature? I can get behind that.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

I know I was a kid when the prequeals came out and so I have a bit of childish nostalgia, but I really did like all of the ships, vehicles and other stuff that the prequeals made. Also I like what they were trying to do, its just that they couldn't quite do it
    Show

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

The Prequel Trilogy adds a lot of material to Star Wars, and while some of that is dumb (Jar-Jar, Midichlorians) a lot of it is really good stuff that could be, and ultimately was, integrated into other high quality projects down the road. Lucas threw tons of creative, manifestly Star Wars things around with the Prequels, which fed the franchise even though the movies themselves weren't all that good. The Sequel Trilogy doesn't do any of that. TFA is a creatively bereft creation that recycles old themes, ideas, ship designs, and fails to move the universe forward despite having thirty years to play with. TLJ is even worse since that film is actively antagonistic to the rest of the franchise on a thematic level and blatantly rejects worldbuilding in a way that sabotages earlier works.

The Prequels expanded Star Wars, made it bigger and opened up a whole new era that hadn't been used. The Sequel Trilogy shrank Star Wars, and also inserted a new era and new plotlines that were objectively worse and less interesting than the stories that had already been told in the post-ROTJ timeframe (and yes, there's a lot of stupid crap in the Legends post-ROTJ EU, but the ST isn't fit to polish the Thrawn Trilogy's boots and even the NJO storyline is fresh and innovative by comparison).

Nothing we've seen from Episode 9, and it's been really very little so far considering how soon the movie is coming out, suggests it will do anything to fix this dynamic. Palpatine returning and moar Death Star don't fix the rehash problem. Rise of Skywalker will be hard pressed to put together any sort of satisfying ending that handles the First Order and Rey, Finn, and Poe, never mind uniting the whole story as one thing.

We can already see the failure of the ST on a franchise level. Resistance just got canceled. Meanwhile, the trailer for The Mandalorian presented a show hewing much closer to the OT tradition visually than to the ST. I suspect that, following Episode 9, the entire ST era will be neglected for some time to come.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

17. - Top - End - #197

AssassinGuy

The prequels weren't totally awful. I enjoyed them at the time. There are bad points. Evey second Jar Jar is on screen... I irrationally hated all the missile tech they portrayed. The seeking concussion shockwave missile and the buzzdroid missile. Most of the capital ships really lacked in design I think though even some of the old cannon ships were pretty ugly as well, flying bricks with engines on the back. The dialogue could get pretty insufferable. Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman could not wring out any chemistry at all. That's not their fault as actors I like to think. George just absolutely needs someone with the power to real him in, in my opinion.

Maybe the lightsaber fighting was too choreographed but after the anemic swordsmanship in the original trilogy it was at the time a gigantic step forward. And I feel the need to say that this isn't something I blame on the actors or the stunt coordinator of those films either. There were physical limitations such as lack of visibility in the Darth Vader's helmet, lack of flexibility in the costume, the stunt double for Vader also had to wear huge platform boots since we was considerably shorter that the regular actor as well.

The sequel film era movies I enjoyed what I watched though I haven't seen all of the released ones yet. It's all very well acted and the special effects are good and the stunts and fighting are great. Mostly the designs are positive though I really don't like the look of the under-slung siege cannons on a star destroyer chassis. And while the new x-wng isn't terrible the splitting wing mounted engine pod bothers me. Looks too much like a turbine which is kinda nonsense. The Force awakened played it too safe and stuck too closely to A New Hope's plot synopsis. The choice not to have a general overview and plan for the three main movies and just doing the script for them one at a time is a baffling decision.
    Sparxs Plays: My friend's Youtube gaming channel where you can watch us.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbj...9MQHA/featured

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I mostly like the Sequel movies, but I agree TFA tried to play it too safe, with having very similar starting point to New Hope. I guess it's sort of understandable why the Last Jedi was a subversion,maybe as a reaction to the complaints about TFA. It didn't really succeed that well, though I personally did really like the parts with Rey, Kylo and Luke. Maybe if that was the movie's main focus, it would have been better off. It just seemed like they couldn't figure out anything exciting with the rest of the Resistance, so they just had an awkward, drawn out chase scene.

This all seems very much like the plot was dictated by a committee that really doesn't understand movies and audiences ("The people didn't like prequels? Must be because the plot was different! Let's remake new hope". "People complained TFA was too similar to OT? Let's do a subversion!")

So I'm still looking forward to the new movie, since I like Star Wars. The Last Jedi was much better than Solo at least. Solo wasn't technically bad, just so unnecessary and boring.

And just noticed there's apparently an Obi-Wan solo series coming to Disney+, with Ewan McGregor reprising the role! Now that's something I can really get excited about (not sure if this is old news, but I haven't heard a confirmation about this before, just rumours).

Though with the production starting next year, I guess we won't be seeing anything until 2021. And I suppose that means there's still plenty of time for it to be cancelled like so many of their other projects, especially if Rise of Skywalker bombs...
    Last edited by Majin; 2019-09-02 at 03:38 AM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

N'Sync were supposed to be in Attack of the Clones, but were cut (possibly after the fan backlash when it was leaked that N'Sync were going to be in it). You can apparently still see a couple of them as uncredited extras in the background of other scenes.

This means they were around for Order 66, and Palpatine did the universe a favor.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

They were Jed-di-di-di.

Seriously, they cameoed as Jedi Knights charging in on the battle droids at the arena in AOTC. Blink and you'll miss 'em.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DeadMech View Post
    Maybe the lightsaber fighting was too choreographed but after the anemic swordsmanship in the original trilogy it was at the time a gigantic step forward
    Anemic swordsmanship in the originals? True for the Kenobi/Vader duel in A New Hope, but I wouldn't describe any of the fights in Empire or Jedi like that. And they actually looked to sword-fights (or at least, movie sword-fights), and with camera-work that focused on the combatants. IMO, the Prequel fights didn't look like sword-fights much of the time - they looked like people trying to show off their juming and stick-waving skills. And the camera-work kept zooming out too much (or switching to other scenes), which meant you wern't focusing on what the people were actually doing and going through.

22. - Top - End - #202

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Anemic swordsmanship in the originals? True for the Kenobi/Vader duel in A New Hope, but I wouldn't describe any of the fights in Empire or Jedi like that. And they actually looked to sword-fights (or at least, movie sword-fights), and with camera-work that focused on the combatants. IMO, the Prequel fights didn't look like sword-fights much of the time - they looked like people trying to show off their juming and stick-waving skills. And the camera-work kept zooming out too much (or switching to other scenes), which meant you wern't focusing on what the people were actually doing and going through.
    Exactly. Nobody in the prequels look like they were trying hit each other, they looked like they were trying to hit each other's lightsabers. I don't want a ten minute lightsaber fight where they're dancing around each other, I want a fight of it-doesn't-matter-how-long where they are either actively trying to kill each other the entire time (like that reworked fanmade Kenobi/Vader fight on the Death Star) or openly lording over the other how one-sided it is for the sake of the story (like the Luke/Vader fight on Bespin).

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Exactly. Nobody in the prequels look like they were trying hit each other, they looked like they were trying to hit each other's lightsabers. I don't want a ten minute lightsaber fight where they're dancing around each other, I want a fight of it-doesn't-matter-how-long where they are either actively trying to kill each other the entire time (like that reworked fanmade Kenobi/Vader fight on the Death Star) or openly lording over the other how one-sided it is for the sake of the story (like the Luke/Vader fight on Bespin).
    Best lightsaber fight. Thanks for reminding me. I'll watch it for the 3rd time now. One of the best things about it is that 90% of Vader's strikes are powerful and close enough that they would be killing strokes if not blocked or deflected.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Best lightsaber fight. Thanks for reminding me. I'll watch it for the 3rd time now. One of the best things about it is that 90% of Vader's strikes are powerful and close enough that they would be killing strokes if not blocked or deflected.

As much as I love this clip (and for the fight alone I very much do) I'm not a real fan of the integration of the Non Kenobi/Vader footage. But good grief is this amazing for the fight itself...feels like Vader is the legend he is implied in the rest of film....

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Any plan that relies on the incompetence of your opponent is a bad plan that deserves to fail and you should feel bad when it does.
    I'd actually disagree with you here. It just requires the incompetence to be established and recognized before the plan is developed. This is called stuff like "spotting a weakness" like 2 dimensional thinking in space based battles. I mean that is much of the point of the Ocean's 11 type scouting scenes and the like. But there is also a conflict between "these people are competent enough to be taken seriously as a threat and so create drama" and "incompetent enough to have this problem that the movie will use to move the plot" that must be managed....and for me the FO and Kylo fail to manage it. I mean I seriously thought of Hux as the villain/threat for the first 3/4ths of TFA and Kylo was supposed to be a developing character that would come into his character and threat over the trilogy (like they were going to do a Rey and Kylo as mirror image developing characters growing and fighting each other over three movies...but nah). Then they wasted Han Solo's death in trying to get me to take Kylo seriously and I basically figured the ST was not in hands I could respect....Then I got dragged to TLJ...and that just buried it.
    Last edited by sktarq; 2019-09-10 at 05:56 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

That clip is great, buuuuuut I wish they had used the fact that Vader's saber has a variable length that's a cool feature that people often forget about.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm going to stand in the exact centre of this hallway for the dramatic framing shot while Larry sets up the smoke machine and I dramatically close the door behind me to create an appropriate backdrop."
    Last edited by Sapphire Guard; 2019-09-10 at 09:08 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    "I'm going to stand in the exact centre of this hallway for the dramatic framing shot while Larry sets up the smoke machine and I dramatically close the door behind me to create an appropriate backdrop."
    "Also let me put this breathing apparatus on sleep mode until I'm all set up."

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

"Also let me put this breathing apparatus on sleep mode until I'm all set up."
    Nah, it isn't sleep mode...silent is the normal mode. He just uses "Intimidation Mode" most of the time

Now, back to C-3PO being the Emperor...

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Agreed, the Prequel fights are overly choreographed and its quite clear that, specifically Darth Maul, is an acrobat and not a sword fighter.

Of course, true realism is an ideal that no one really attempts let alone achieves. Light Sabers probably should be used the way fencing foils are for maximum effect.

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    That is one incredibly cool fight and showcases all the cool things Vader should be able to do with Force telekinesis and it doesn't even involve moving anywhere near as much material as ESB suggests he is capable of. Instead, its smooth, fast and looks like its useful at combat speed (generously interpreted as they are actually going pretty slowly for mortal combat).
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Agreed, the Prequel fights are overly choreographed and its quite clear that, specifically Darth Maul, is an acrobat and not a sword fighter.

Of course, true realism is an ideal that no one really attempts let alone achieves. Light Sabers probably should be used the way fencing foils are for maximum effect.
    The actor playing Darth Maul had training in Shaolin Kung Fu, which inspired the fighting style.

As for which bladed martial art might best be adapted to light sabres, I don't think the foil is the best fit. For one thing, you can only hit with the point; for another, there are so many rules to fencing matches that it moves quite a long way away from genuine combat. The inspiration drawn from Kendo in the original movies is probably closer to realistic than foil fighting would be, but you could likely go a step further by looking to HEMA sword fighting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-eHZydEhJ4

Except, of course, that HEMA practitioners do not, to my knowledge, have force sensitivity, telekinesis, etc.