New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default FAE Super Powereds-Freshman Year IC thread

House Aureum was a fairly small dormitory, compared to the ones on school. It was only about two stories tall, and while it looked great, the white concrete with gold inlays almost seemed like a Greek Temple, it was definitely not fighting off applications from borders. It was 30 minute bus ride to the main school, and there were other dorms within walking distance. Most students didn’t want to be so far from their classes-especially given the appeal of sleeping in till noon.

However for the carefully selected inhabitants of the dorm, it was close enough to their most important classes. At 8:00, all the students were called down to the common room by an older student, a brown haired male with sunglasses. He was smirking, as if he was aware of some deliciously hilarious secrets, he couldn’t wait to share.

“Alright whipper snappers, I hope this is all of you, cause anyone not here is getting left behind-" A loud voice interrupted him.
    “Oh Em Eff Geeeeeeeee girl, I can’t believe Brenda, that’s so like her,” A girl was on her cellphone, talking loudly while twirling her short blond curls. She was attractive in the way the popular girls in High School are-you know she’s too pretty to give you the time of day, and that’s half the appeal.
    “Excuse me,” The older student began, clearly irritated. The girl raised a finger to stop him, as she continued talking without looking him in the face.
    The student sighed, rubbing his eyes under his sunglasses.
    “Sara stop, your such a bitch. JK! No love you really-hello? Hello?” She looked at her smartphone, and the screen was off. “I’m out of power? But I thought I charged it.”
    “Guess your just unlucky then.” The older student remarked, trying to hide his grin. Some of the smarter students smiled as they figured out what happened, but the blonde with the defunct cell seemed oblivious.

“Now, returning to our scheduled program.” He walked up to the service lift. It was primarily used to help carrying luggage or less physically capable individuals to the second floor. It was a surprisingly generous gesture by the university, for such a small dormitory. The older student pressed his thumb under the up button. A green Tron style circle appeared around his thumb, where no button had been before. There was a whirring sound from the elevator door, before it opened.

Where previously there was a lift too small to hold more than 3 students who were comfortable getting squeezed together, behind those doors was a large oval platform, big enough to easily hold the 40 or so students in the common room. There were a series of gasps by the students from the sight of this. The guide smirked as he walked into the lift.

“Oh my little cans, your minds have not even started to be blown yet.” The other students quickly followed him in.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: FAE Super Powereds-Freshman Year IC thread

Most of the students were still reeling from the fact there was an entire secret school under normal campus. The long corridors definitely continued the Tron theme, with fancy lights along the walls in different colors. The guide had originally led them by following a red line across the wall to two separate changing rooms where the older student told the boys and girls to change into one of the uniforms in a locker.

The uniforms were black, and while slightly snug, none were tight or hindered movement. The material was sturdier than leather. One slightly mousy female freshman remarked that the uniform was specially made for the school, and was made of something similar to Kevlar. When asked how she knew, she blushed and started muttering to her feet.

Spoiler: Think of this without the X
    Show

The older student had somehow managed to change into a white version of their uniform while they were all getting dressed. “Now don’t you all look dapper!” He saw a lot of confused eyebrows being raised. “Trust me, after four years, you’ll pick up British slang too. Come along my little cans!”

As the students walked, the observant ones realized there were four lines on the ground-one black, two were grey and one white. It appeared the older student was leading them down the black path, until they came to a large auditorium. He flourished his hand theatrically as they arrived.

“This is where I must depart. You guys all take a seat, the Dean will start soon enough. If you need any help, my name is Anders Roman. Anyone in a white uniform will know who I am. I’m in my 4th year, so hopefully I have some idea of what I'm doing.” He turned to leave, before apparently remembering something. “If you’re the sort who likes to much about in class, don’t bother sitting in the back. The Dean’s got excellent eye-sight, and that’s the first place he looks.” He grins before heading off.

The auditorium is large, with over a 100 seats. Which given the fact there are only 40 students makes it appear very empty. There is a large wooden platform in front with a plinth set up for someone to address from. However, it was currently unoccupied.

Some of the students begin taking seats.

Lara, your room mate Ashlee, the girl who was on her cellphone earlier, grabs a seat near the back, where a couple of other girls have joined her. She waves at you to sit with her. Do you sit with her, withsomeone else (in which case, describe what this person looks like and first name if new NPC), or alone?

Issac, your room mate Michael is having a conversation with another male student. What does this new student look like, and does Michael seem to be enjoying the conversation or has it become an argument?

Oliver on the way here, Arthur, a portly boy a mop of black hair, was talking to you about a specific topic he had an almost obsessive amount of interest in. What was this topic? Did you join in with the discussion with Arthur, did you enjoy the topic? Did you tune him out?

Dylan, you were surprised when someone brushes past you, whispering “sorry Dylan”. She has sunglasses on, and is holding a white stick with an orange handle. She moves towards the front row, with very little use of her stick. How does she know your name? You didn’t feel any tampering or attempts to break through your telepathic training. How do you react to that?

Kai, you recognized the older student with glasses when he first appeared, even though he never addressed you personally, from thanksgiving dinners. It’s your cousin Anders! What was your relationship with your cousin Anders like? How do you feel about this surprising presence of your family once again?

Ryan, you hear someone whistling a song near you. Turning around, you see a tall muscular black student with curly hair, whistling as he watches the room, his eyes wandering over the female students while smiling. He’s whistling your favorite song. What is your favorite song? How do you feel about this guy checking all the girls?
    Last edited by CoreBrute23; 2014-08-18 at 02:00 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

*Rayne jumps up from his seat!* "Lynard Skynyrd(sweet home Alabama) is the shiz! The names Rayne!" *Shakes his hand* (Rayne is fine with him checking girls out, he personally try's to respects all woman and doesn't curse in front of them)
    Last edited by Salaya; 2014-08-17 at 06:23 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

The humming student turns in surprise. "I wasn't expecting to a fellow lover of Southern Rock here." He smiles and shakes your hand firmly. "You've got good taste. My name's Alex, I'm from Louisiana."

He motions to a seat in the backrow, behind Ashlee's small group. "I'm gonna sit over there. You feel like chilin with me?"
    Last edited by CoreBrute23; 2014-08-17 at 03:34 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Yea perfect! I was born and raised in Florida I don't live too far from here, like two hours away." Alex and Rayne talked in the little time they had.
    Last edited by Salaya; 2014-08-17 at 07:14 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoreBrute23 View Post
    Dylan, you were surprised when someone brushes past you, whispering “sorry Dylan”. She has sunglasses on, and is holding a white stick with red lines on it. She moves towards the front row, with very little use of her stick. How does she know your name? You didn’t feel any tampering or attempts to break through your telepathic training. How do you react to that?
    Dylan looks confused at the girl upon hearing his name, and then even more confused as he notices the stick. Curiousity getting the better of him, he moves to sit on the front row besides her, leaning in and whispering, "How'd you know my name?". After speaking, he glances around to see if anyone else had been paying attention - "If I don't get a response, I'm going to look like an idiot", he thinks to himself.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Oliver on the way here, Arthur, a portly boy a mop of black hair, was talking to you about a specific topic he had an almost obsessive amount of interest in. What was this topic? Did you join in with the discussion with Arthur, did you enjoy the topic? Did you tune him out?
    Oliver walks along with Arthur, smiling politely as the chubby boy prattled on and on about the intricacies of Queensryche's music. Oli didn't really have anything to add to the conversation, but was happy to listen to Arthur, happy to have someone talk to him who asked for nothing but to be listened to. He carefully scanned manoeuvred the crowd, making sure never to bump into anyone, or get bumped into, not make eye contact, except once in a while with Arthur. He shifted in the uniform, self-conscious of his skinniness, and fidgeted with his glasses. At least his shoulders were getting a little wider. A year ago he was the definition of a bean-pole. The two of them moved to seats, right in the middle, 3 rows from the front. When Rayne made his "Sweet home Alabama" outburst, Oli looked at him, but then quickly shrunk down into his seat as his roommate settled in next to his own personal worst nightmare...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

Daemon

kai walked to a seat that was near the front trusting Anders advice about not sitting in the back.Seeing Anders again had made him think of the last time they'd met at last years thanksgiving. kai never had never really gotten to know Anders and he blames that on his parents more than anything else.To his aunt uncle and cousin he was the polite gentlemen an act his parents expected of him,He had quickly obliterated that carefully woven image with only a smattering of words before rushing out of the house and heading for the adjacent garage and his car. kai heard footsteps following and twirled about expecting father but instead saw Anders ambling across the lawn towards him with a case of beer dangling from his right hand.what ensued was a night of drunken stupor where they talked of many things the most notable coming from anders who was admittedly pretty drunk told kai he was in the hcp at west private.This sparked the beginning of an idea that would come from its infancy and blossom into a full blown course of action over the following months.kai was snapped out of his reverie not by the piercing sound of sweet home Alabama being whistled in the backround but by the words that followed them, "Lynard Skynyrd is the shiz! The names Rayne!" even if rayne hadnt just stated his name kai would know that voice anywhere.Turning in his seat kai saw the muscular form of his ex's brother...
    Last edited by tyranus; 2014-08-18 at 09:17 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Kobold

Isaac sat down in the first available seat, trying his best to go unnoticed. Luckily, the uniforms made it easier to be just a face in the crowd. Sadly, it looked stupid and was hard to move in and felt insanely constricting. Especially on his meat and two veg....

As he adjusted himself a bit, he looked up to see his roommate was schmoozing around and making small talk already. He was lucky to know enough about this place to not worry about making the wrong friends. Isaac was planning to go unseen for the first day until he understood the goings-on.

It was a tactic he came up with years ago. When you get to a new neighborhood, keep your head down. Learn the pecking order. Identify the Rahmen and the Pokes.
    In this situation, Isaac was a Rabbit.
    Sunglasses was likely a Bee.
    The Dean was probably a Papa. Or Mama? Was Dean a word for a guy or a girl?
    Isaac was finding himself getting distracted.

Luxkily, with all these people, RPM was going a bit nutty and paying attention for him.
    [Multiple Super and Powered individuals detected. Caution is advised.]

Thanks, Isaac thought to himself.

[Integration recommended.]

I'll do that once you tell me what the f**k that means.

[Warning. Potential target approaching.]

Oh sh*t what?
    Last edited by ImNotTrevor; 2014-08-18 at 12:15 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

While the other freshmen might have been impressed or awed as the elevator walls fell away, revealing the sci-fi tunnel that extended deep into the earth, Lara simply had a reserved smile, the kind you'd wear when watching a magic trick that you've already seen a few times. She'd known full well that something like this had to be hidden under the dorm. Felix had given her plenty of stories from his time at the academy, so it wasn't so much a question of whether or not a training bunker exsisted, but rather, where was the secret entrance. Personally, Lara had been banking on a swiveling bookshelf, but the elevator seemed just as exciting.

Lara proceeded along, not paying much mind to her peers. There would be more then enough time for getting to know the rest of the student body, but there wouldn't be a second orientation day, and she'd kick herself in the teeth if she ended up missing anything because she'd gotten distracted chatting it up with one of her new classmates. Not that she could totally block it out either. She picked up snippets of conversation as the group divided up in the changing rooms to try on their uniforms. The black material was a strange texture, though what really puzzled Lara was how it managed to fit her so nicely. At no point did she recall giving her measurements to anyone, so the fact that she was now clad in a fitted bodysuit that perfectly matched her figure was offsetting. Lacking a better explanation, her imagination provided the first answer it could. A chill went up Lara's spine as she pictured someone sneaking into her home while she slept and taking her measurements. For now, she'd just have to make a note to ask about it later. Well, that, and double check how heat-resistant her uniform was.

In the auditorium, Lara moved towards the front, but didn't get to far before spotting someone waving at her. Looked like it was that blond chick who'd been blathering into her cellphone earlier. It boggled the mind. Whoever she'd been chatting with, somehow Lara doubted it could possibly be more interesting than a secret school for training the next generation of hero's. It was the kind of thing that just got under her skin, the fact that blondie would rather update her facebook status rather than appriciate the fact she'd earned a seat on the freshmen class. Be Impressed, Damnit!

Still, Lara didn't want to judge to harshly, not on the first day. No reason to be rude to someone you've only just met after all. Maybe Blondie was actually really nice under that candy coated exterior. There was no harm in accepting an offer to sit and make conversation. Whats the worst that could happen?

"Hi there" Lara said with a warm, open grin and a casual wave, taking a seat with the other girls. "I'm Lara, nice to meet you all."
    High Reverend of the Church of the Icosahedron

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTrevor View Post

Oh sh*t what?
    OOC: As I said in the PM, I'm not sure what you want the Nanobots to be detecting. An already established NPC? A player? The Dean? A toaster? Do you want me to make someone up?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny of Faith View Post
    Dylan looks confused at the girl upon hearing his name, and then even more confused as he notices the stick. Curiousity getting the better of him, he moves to sit on the front row besides her, leaning in and whispering, "How'd you know my name?". After speaking, he glances around to see if anyone else had been paying attention - "If I don't get a response, I'm going to look like an idiot", he thinks to himself.
    The apparently blind girl stiffens slightly at your question.

"Oh. I just...heard it around. I mean, um I heard, uh..." You can almost see her brain working, trying to come up with a believable lie, and failing.

Quote Originally Posted by NineOfSpades View Post
    In the auditorium, Lara moved towards the front, but didn't get to far before spotting someone waving at her. Looked like it was that blond chick who'd been blathering into her cellphone earlier. It boggled the mind. Whoever she'd been chatting with, somehow Lara doubted it could possibly be more interesting than a secret school for training the next generation of hero's. It was the kind of thing that just got under her skin, the fact that blondie would rather update her facebook status rather than appriciate the fact she'd earned a seat on the freshmen class. Be Impressed, Damnit!

Still, Lara didn't want to judge to harshly, not on the first day. No reason to be rude to someone you've only just met after all. Maybe Blondie was actually really nice under that candy coated exterior. There was no harm in accepting an offer to sit and make conversation. Whats the worst that could happen?

"Hi there" Lara said with a warm, open grin and a casual wave, taking a seat with the other girls. "I'm Lara, nice to meet you all."
    OOC: Just a note. Blondie is Ashlee your room mate. You guys already met, since yesterday was moving day. Also, you never gave her a surname. Would you like me to make one up?
    Ashlee smiles broaden. she waves a hand to the two girls sitting on the other side of her. "Shobna, Karen, this is my room mate." She suddenly wrapped her arms around you. "We're already such besties, it's amazing how much we just click."

Shobna, the small mousy girl from earlier who had talked about the uniform, chuckles after a moment at the show of enthusiasm. Her nervousness from earlier is still apparent, but she seems to be a bit more comfortable now she isn't the centre of attention.

"Ashlee please. There's no need to suffocate the poor girl." Karen remarks, before smirking. "At least not until combat rankings start." Lara, you can see beyond the playfulness in her voice-there is the competitive edge to her tone that you recognize in yourself.

Ashlee lets you go, completely unabashed from her display of physical affection. "Sorry, I just got caught up in the moment. Oh, I wish I could tweet about this." She looked at her cellphone. "Stupid thing dying on me."

"Yes real shame." Karen looks behind her as two boys sit behind them. Two tall black students, one of whom had just been gushing about Sweet Home Alabama. She glances a bit quickly before turning around.

Quote Originally Posted by Salaya View Post
    "Yea perfect! I was born and raised in Florida I don't live too far from here, like two hours away." Alex and Rayne talked in the little time they had.
    Alex sits down behind Lara and the other girls. As you sit down next to Alex, one girl turns around and looks at you. She seems to be appraising you. Although the first thought that occurs to you is, she's really pretty. She quickly turns around though.

Alex nudges you. "Hey country star." He whispers conspiratorially to you. "I think you've caught one hook line and sinker." He looks at you expectantly.

OOC: Rayne what does this girl [Karen] look like? How do you feel about this girl apparently checking you out?

Quote Originally Posted by Razorstorm View Post
    Oliver walks along with Arthur, smiling politely as the chubby boy prattled on and on about the intricacies of Queensryche's music. Oli didn't really have anything to add to the conversation, but was happy to listen to Arthur, happy to have someone talk to him who asked for nothing but to be listened to. He carefully scanned manoeuvred the crowd, making sure never to bump into anyone, or get bumped into, not make eye contact, except once in a while with Arthur. He shifted in the uniform, self-conscious of his skinniness, and fidgeted with his glasses. At least his shoulders were getting a little wider. A year ago he was the definition of a bean-pole. The two of them moved to seats, right in the middle, 3 rows from the front.
    Arthur’s knowledge of Queensryche’s music is matched only by the fevor he speaks with when describing which of the band members should, and shouldn't have left. Thankfully his enjoyment of the topic is sufficient that he doesn't notice your not joining in.
    When Rayne made his "Sweet home Alabama" outburst, Oli looked at him, but then quickly shrunk down into his seat as his roommate settled in next to his own personal worst nightmare...
    A hand reaches delicately on your shoulder. “It’s OK.” Turning, you see the hand belongs to Arthur, whose looking at you knowingly. “It’s not going to be that way anymore.” He gives a wide gleeful grin. “We’re going to be Heroes now.”
    Quote Originally Posted by tyranus View Post
    kai walked to a seat that was near the front trusting Anders advice about not sitting in the back.
    Kai, you find yourself sitting near a tall student built like a quarterback, talking to a tall but leaner student with glasses. The skinnier student is waving his hands dismissively.

“Michael your crazy. No way I’m doing that.” The bulkier student, Michael apparently, is leaning forward, arguing emphatically.

“No Herb, it’s genius come on! It’s the best way to show whose to better combatant.” Michael suddenly turns around to face you Kai.

“What do you think man?” Seeing your confused, Herb, the one in glasses, starts to explain.

“Michael and I have training in martial arts, in addition to our powers. Apparently, there’s gonna be,”

“Don’t say ‘Apparently’ like that. I know it’s true! I saw it Reddit.” Herb rolls his eyes and continues.

“There’s some big combat between the freshmen-”

“So my idea is,” Michael interrupts. “rather than just show off our powers, we show off our skill. If the two of us fight each other, we agree not to use our powers-just mano,” Michael slaps one of his biceps. “V mano.” And slaps the other one. “It’ll show the teacher who the most skilled are, rather than just those with fancy looking powers. It’s about the training, not just what God gave you.” Herb rolled his eyes.

“Anyway, I said the point of going to HCP is for the instructors to see our abilities. So it would be foolish not to use it. You agree with me right?” The two look at you expectantly.

OOC: Compel time! Time for some actual game mechanics. At the start of each session, you all have 3 Fate points. They are very important, they are useful to make failures into successes, and activating some stunts.
    I am compelling one of your aspects. This is when I suggest a course of action that makes your adventure take a slightly…unexpected route. If you agree for your character to follow this course of action, you gain the fatepoint. This would currently grant you 4 fate points, making you a bit more in control than your fellow PCs.

However, you are completely within your rights to reject my compel, and play how you choose. However to do so, you need to pay me one of your 3 fatepoints, reducing you to 2. That’s not terrible, and some battles can get turned around with just one fate point. So you could still do well. You’d just need to be a bit more careful, and a bit more lucky.

Here’s my compel: I am compelling your aspect “I don't often fight, but when i do i fight dirty.” Your character realizes that these two are skilled fighters, in addition to whatever unknown powers they have. If Kai fights them in a fair fight he would probably lose. However, he could convince them that if they fought him, neither side would use their powers (a gentlemen’s agreement of sorts). That would mean Kai would have the opportunity to catch them off guard, and use his powers when they weren’t expecting it.

Of course they would be mad later, and there could be consequences down the road. But it is a very tempting opportunity to take out one of two potential threats, and prove to your parents that you can do well at HCP.

So…will you convince them not to fight you with powers, with the intention of cheating later on? Do you take the fate point? Or reject it?

12. - Top - End - #12

The apparently blind girl stiffens slightly at your question.

"Oh. I just...heard it around. I mean, um I heard, uh..." You can almost see her brain working, trying to come up with a believable lie, and failing.

Dylan keeps his voice low as he responds, "I don't mean to be rude, but you're putting me at a bit of a disadvantage here. I mean, you know my name, but won't tell me why. And besides that, I don't even know yours. Seems a little fairer if you'd tell me those things, doesn't it?" He smiles at her encouragingly.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh sh*t what?
    Issac turned to see the threat was no more than just another student. Well that wasn't quite right. This student seemed a bit older than the other freshmen, despite wearing the same Black uniform. You would guess (and by guess, getting bits and pieces of all the biological readings RPM is giving you) maybe mid 20s.

"May I sit here?" His english is good, but he has a slight Chinese accent. He sits next to you, taking out a spiral note book which appears both too small for him, and has seen a lot of wear and tear. "My name is Ben Ng." He holds his hand out to shake yours.

Dylan keeps his voice low as he responds, "I don't mean to be rude, but you're putting me at a bit of a disadvantage here. I mean, you know my name, but won't tell me why. And besides that, I don't even know yours. Seems a little fairer if you'd tell me those things, doesn't it?" He smiles at her encouragingly.
    She rubs a hand through her hair nervously.

"No, no I'm not trying to be rude. I did hear, well..." She gulped. "Sorry. Can we start again? My name is Mariah Sinclair." She offers you her hand to shake. If you take it, she shakes it ungracefully as if unaware the right amount of pressure to apply. If you do not, she pulls it to her lap and holds her other hand. Either way, she continues.

"I heard you on moving day introduce yourself to your room mate Michael from the ground floor. And I recognized you because you have a very peculiar kind of breathingandnow I'm being creepy again."
    She held her face in her hand embarrassed. "You don't happen to have the power to make me invisible for, like, ever?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Alex sits down behind Lara and the other girls. As you sit down next to Alex, one girl turns around and looks at you. She seems to be appraising you. Although the first thought that occurs to you is, she's really pretty. She quickly turns around though.

Alex nudges you. "Hey country star." He whispers conspiratorially to you. "I think you've caught one hook line and sinker." He looks at you expectantly.

OOC: Rayne what does this girl [Karen] look like? How do you feel about this girl apparently checking you out?

[/B]
    *Rayne thinks to him self* If I am getting this much attention right now imagine what will happen when people see my eyes....
    *Rayne whispers back too Alex* "She is pretty that's for sure" She has long black hair with vibrant green eyes. Her skin is a lighter shade of honey.
    Last edited by Salaya; 2014-08-18 at 10:41 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Alex starts motioning with his head. He begins mouthing 'Talk to her Romeo'. He would look ridiculous if anyone was watching the back row.

16. - Top - End - #16

Daemon

"Well i think Michael has a very valid point its a great way to showcase our skills. I was wondering how i would do the same,you see im not to shabby at hand to hand myself.if you two are in fact going to do this can i join in?Even if Herb here doesn't want to im down"
    Last edited by tyranus; 2014-08-18 at 03:20 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Alex starts motioning with his head. He begins mouthing 'Talk to her Romeo'. He would look ridiculous if anyone was watching the back row.
    *Rayne says out loud* "Karen right?" "Im Rayne!" Nice too meet you! *while he shakes her hand*
    Last edited by Salaya; 2014-08-18 at 03:44 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

She rubs a hand through her hair nervously.

"No, no I'm not trying to be rude. I did hear, well..." She gulped. "Sorry. Can we start again? My name is Mariah Sinclair." She offers you her hand to shake. If you take it, she shakes it ungracefully as if unaware the right amount of pressure to apply. If you do not, she pulls it to her lap and holds her other hand. Either way, she continues.

"I heard you on moving day introduce yourself to your room mate Michael from the ground floor. And I recognized you because you have a very peculiar kind of breathingandnow I'm being creepy again."
    She held her face in her hand embarrassed. "You don't happen to have the power to make me invisible for, like, ever?"
    Dylan takes her hand, shaking it softly. "Dylan Ringwood, a pleasure to meet you. And I could try and do something similar, but it'd only sort of work and you wouldn't actually be invisible."

He glances around the room again, before whispering, "So, super-hearing or something? It makes hearing my breathing slightly less creepy, unless you don't have super-hearing, and you've been stalking me invisibly. But then you wouldn't be asking me to turn you invisible." Dylan laughs nervously, "Am I overthinking this?"

19. - Top - End - #19

SwashbucklerGuy

Oliver blinks at Arthur. "Not like... How do you..." then he trails off and smiles. "How did you know? Are you a Telepath, or just a super spy?" After a momentary pause, where Arthur looks briefly uncomfortable, Oliver whispers intensely "Isn't this place awesome? Damn right we're gonna be heroes!" Oli and Arthur exchange geeky fist-bumps, facing forward. Oli shifts around in his suit, and the two of them giggle at the funny creaking noise it makes.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

OOC: Just a note. Blondie is Ashlee your room mate. You guys already met, since yesterday was moving day. Also, you never gave her a surname. Would you like me to make one up?
    Ashlee smiles broaden. she waves a hand to the two girls sitting on the other side of her. "Shobna, Karen, this is my room mate." She suddenly wrapped her arms around you. "We're already such besties, it's amazing how much we just click."

Shobna, the small mousy girl from earlier who had talked about the uniform, chuckles after a moment at the show of enthusiasm. Her nervousness from earlier is still apparent, but she seems to be a bit more comfortable now she isn't the centre of attention.

"Ashlee please. There's no need to suffocate the poor girl." Karen remarks, before smirking. "At least not until combat rankings start." Lara, you can see beyond the playfulness in her voice-there is the competitive edge to her tone that you recognize in yourself.

Ashlee lets you go, completely unabashed from her display of physical affection. "Sorry, I just got caught up in the moment. Oh, I wish I could tweet about this." She looked at her cellphone. "Stupid thing dying on me."

"Yes real shame." Karen looks behind her as two boys sit behind them. Two tall black students, one of whom had just been gushing about Sweet Home Alabama. She glances a bit quickly before turning around.

"Pleeeze schtop" Lara mumbled, her face squished against her roommates cheek. She was not expecting the embrace she'd been forced to accept, nor was it something she especially wanted. Ashlee was already proving to be an annoyance. You know the old saying, don't judge a book by its cover? If Ashlee were such a book, each new page would just be a copy of the cover. Repeated again and again. And Here was Lara, desperatly flipping through pages and hoping to find something. Nay, Anything to dispel the initial assumptions. Even if it was just a footnote at the bottom of a page.

The other two girls, Shobna and Karen, seemed nice enough. Shobna looked to be the quiet sort, and there was nothing wrong with that. Not everyone embraces the spotlight (Or gets embraced by those who embrace the spotlight). Karen wasn't bad either, even with that cocky grin.

Lara smirked right back at her. The girl seemed confident, which was nice. Honestly, Lara had been a bit worried that she'd breeze through the trial without to much trouble, so it was good to see there was somebody else that might be able to put up a good match. Some people might think its better to go up against a weaker opponent, so you get a quick win. Lara was of a different mind. If you really wanted to show your skills, you needed someone strong enough to go toe to toe with. "Speaking of combat trials, do we just pair off and start beating eachother, or is somebody going to signal when to start?". While on the surface, it was just a question, the subtext was clear You Think You Can Go A Few Rounds With Me? Bring it.

I'd like to Compel Lara's Hotshot Freshmen aspect against herself. She's deliberatly taking the challenge of another student who might very well be stronger than Lara is, rather than back down from a potential rival.
    Last edited by NineOfSpades; 2014-08-18 at 06:43 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Kobold

Issac turned to see the threat was no more than just another student. Well that wasn't quite right. This student seemed a bit older than the other freshmen, despite wearing the same Black uniform. You would guess (and by guess, getting bits and pieces of all the biological readings RPM is giving you) maybe mid 20s.

"May I sit here?" His english is good, but he has a slight Chinese accent. He sits next to you, taking out a spiral note book which appears both too small for him, and has seen a lot of wear and tear. "My name is Ben Ng." He holds his hand out to shake yours.
    Isaac calmed down when he saw it was just another student.
    "Hi." Isaac took the offered hand and shook it amicably. "Isaac Chapel," he added, indicating himself even though it was fairly obvious who he was referring to.

"So....any idea what we do now?" RPM was still pointing out small potential conflicts flickering up around him. It didn't usually do this....or did it? This might actually be normal for it.

Isaac hoped the confusion and mild distress didn't show on his face.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyranus View Post
    "Well i think Michael has a very valid point its a great way to showcase our skills. I was wondering how i would do the same,you see im not to shabby at hand to hand myself.if you two are in fact going to do this can i join in?Even if Herb here doesn't want to im down"
    Michael grin widened. “Good man!” He slaps you on the back, nearly toppling you with his casual strength. Herb sighed.

“Well clearly I’m surrounded by madmen.” He finally grinned. “Alright. If,” He stresses it. “We fight against each other, either one on or or some tree way, none of us will use our powers on one another.” Michael smiled and nodded.

“This is going to be fun,” He turns to you and hesitates. “Um, sorry I don’t think we’ve be introduced properly. Sorry about that.” He stretches a hand to shake yours. “My name’s Micael Jensen* but my friends call me Matt.”

Herb also offers his hand to shake. “Herbert Kalinowski.”
    You have a chance to introduce yourself and shake hands if you choose, before your interrupted by…

*Issac, I made a mistake, sorry. I thought you had named your room mate Michael for some reason, rather than Matt. This is me trying to save continuity with THE POWER OF RETCONS AND CONVENIENCE! So let’s all call him Matt ok?
    Dylan takes her hand, shaking it softly. "Dylan Ringwood, a pleasure to meet you. And I could try and do something similar, but it'd only sort of work and you wouldn't actually be invisible."

He glances around the room again, before whispering, "So, super-hearing or something? It makes hearing my breathing slightly less creepy, unless you don't have super-hearing, and you've been stalking me invisibly. But then you wouldn't be asking me to turn you invisible." Dylan laughs nervously, "Am I overthinking this?"
    “I think we’re both guilty of thinking too hard.” She laughs, relieved at your nervousness.

“Yeah my hearing is super, although the medical term is Enhanced Benign Hyperacusis. Usually I can ignore most sounds with focus, but when I let myself get I distracted I pick up all manner of things.”

She seems less tense from getting all this off her chest. “So what do you do-”
    Before she can finish her question…
    Oliver blinks at Arthur. "Not like... How do you..." then he trails off and smiles. "How did you know? Are you a Telepath, or just a super spy?"
    Arthur shakes his head. “N-no. I’m not an advanced mind. But I know what it’s like to be…”He hesitates trying to pick the right word. His hand slips on his round stomach. He catches himself, and puts his hand behind his back. You think he’s swallowing his gut in a bit.
    “I’ve been where you are.” He says quickly
    After a momentary pause, where Arthur looks briefly uncomfortable, Oliver whispers intensely "Isn't this place awesome? Damn right we're gonna be heroes!" Oli and Arthur exchange geeky fist-bumps, facing forward. Oli shifts around in his suit, and the two of them giggle at the funny creaking noise it makes.
    Arthur is visibly relieved, giggling with glee that is in a higher pitch than his already high pitched voice.
    Your giggling however is brought to a swift conclusion when…
    Isaac calmed down when he saw it was just another student.
    "Hi." Isaac took the offered hand and shook it amicably. "Isaac Chapel," he added, indicating himself even though it was fairly obvious who he was referring to.

"So....any idea what we do now?" RPM was still pointing out small potential conflicts flickering up around him. It didn't usually do this....or did it? This might actually be normal for it.

Isaac hoped the confusion and mild distress didn't show on his face.
    Ben shook his head. He had a pencil out ready to take notes.
    “Not sure. I think we’re waiting for" Whatever he was about to say is interrupted by…
    *Rayne says out loud* "Karen right?" "Im Rayne!" Nice too meet you! *while he shakes her hand*
    She doesn’t seem to notice your outstretched hand. She is completely focussed on the brunette who just sat down near them.
    Alex winces a bit. “Ooh, cold.”
    Quote Originally Posted by NineOfSpades View Post
    Lara smirked right back at her. The girl seemed confident, which was nice. Honestly, Lara had been a bit worried that she'd breeze through the trial without to much trouble, so it was good to see there was somebody else that might be able to put up a good match. Some people might think its better to go up against a weaker opponent, so you get a quick win. Lara was of a different mind. If you really wanted to show your skills, you needed someone strong enough to go toe to toe with. "Speaking of combat trials, do we just pair off and start beating eachother, or is somebody going to signal when to start?". While on the surface, it was just a question, the subtext was clear You Think You Can Go A Few Rounds With Me? Bring it.
    Karan start straightening her collar in anticipation. Shobna quickly interrupts,

“I think we need to wait until the Dean shows up. The rules states we can’t start fights outside of HCP classes.”

“Isn’t this an HCP class?” Ashlee enquired curiously. Shobna grimanced.

“Technically but um...” Whatever she was about to say is interrupted by…
    I'd like to Compel Lara's Hotshot Freshmen aspect against herself. She's deliberatly taking the challenge of another student who might very well be stronger than Lara is, rather than back down from a potential rival.
    OOC: At this point in time I'm not going to accept your compel because your current choice of action isn't resulting in anything dramatic. Right now your only egging each other in a bit, in a sort of, I'm more bad ass than you, eyebrow conversation.

If you were going to call her out in the middle of the auditorium to fight right now, then perhaps I would accept that, because that would bring negative attention.

However, given we've established that Lara views Karen as the only real potential for a challenge, you may, when combat ranking starts, be distracted when fighting a 'lesser opponent' cause you want to get to Karan, by compelling your hotshot freshmen. Or I might compel it. Or you could when actually fighting Karan (if you get to her of course) invoke it, because your so focused on fighting her.

All conversations are brought to a halt when a man steps onto the stage. He is a tall man, in his 50s or 60s, with greying hair, glasses and a friendly smile. He is dressed in an unbuttoned sports jacket, and a shirt with suspenders from his black pants.

He takes to the plinth and behind him, two others walk in. One is a tall very attractive woman with a black pixiecut, and dressed in tracksuit bottom and top. She appears to be in her 30s, but she has a body much younger women would (and probably have attempted to) kill for. She smiles cheerfully at the students.

The second is a shorter man, barely 5ft, in a long black jacket with red embroidery down the arms in the shape of dragons. It appeared to be a cross between an Indian Sherwani and a Martial Artist’s Gi. The man has unruly but short black hair, with a seriously bad case of bed head. He looks like a surly teenager or young 20 something at best.

The man at the plinth begins speaking.

“Hello Freshman class. On behalf of the Hero Certificiation Programme, I have the esteemed privaledge of welcoming you to my elite academy, West Private University.” The man has an educated British accent, and spoke with confidence. “My name is Dr Roger Wellington, but I prefer if you would address me as Dean Wellington.”
    Dylan, you notice Mariah shaking slightly as she stares straight at the Dean. She appaears terrified of him.

“At this University, we will train you to grow stronger, not just in body, power and mind, but as people. The best of the best of you will graduate with full certifications, to become the exemplars of the best mankind has to offer.” His eyes become focussed and more serious.

“As Heroes you will be facing dangers each and every day, and innocent lives will be in your hand. I am not going to lie, the stress will be enormous. The challenges will seem insurmountable, and the pressure will appear unbearable.” He stares the students straight on, each of you feeling like he’s addressing you specifically. “That is why you are here. So after 4 years here, those who last will not break. They will be able to take it. And when people need them, when the world needs them most, those who leave with White capes will be ready.” He scans the audience before continuing.

“Now, some of you may be used to doing things differently. Some of you might come from small towns where you’re the only Super. Where everyone knows your name.” Oliver, you see Arthur shuffle a bit nervously at that.
    “But at West Private university, all students are required to keep a secret identity.” There are some groans in the audience, Lara notices one of the groans coming from Ashlee. The Dean continues unabated. “This is an important part of the program. A Hero who cannot protect his own identity cannot be trusted to protect his team mates, and is thus a liability. A danger to all supers who might have their families threatened by disgruntled villains.” The students quieten down at this.
    “To that extent, all of you will also be attending normal classes above, and when you leave the university, you will also have a normal major. You will not be allowed to show your super abilities to anyone else, nor use your powers above ground. If you need to use your powers, make sure it is underground in HCP quarters.”

OOC: So how do you all feel about this new information? Were you aware of this info, is it all new for you?
    Also, what did you students declare for your secret identity major? You can of course declare undecided.
    Last edited by CoreBrute23; 2014-08-19 at 06:20 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

*Rayne whispers too alex* "I know this isnt the time but thoughs girls seemed like they were about too fight.... maybe theres something deeper going on there" Rayne now refers too the dean *whispering to alex* "this is some intense sh*t" Rayne kind of expected some crazy stuff like the SI infractions. Rayne prepared himself mentally ready for anything sent his way.
    Last edited by Salaya; 2014-08-19 at 08:19 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Daemon

*Shakes hand* And I am Kia Roman.so how did....*inturrupted* Kia does not continue the conversation lost in his own thoughts about what the Dean had said.kai suspected he was one of the few who actually knew what was going, on noting the suprise/confusion on most of the faces around him.
    That's not to say he wasn't surprised himself at some of the stuff the Dean had said just better at hiding it.

OOC:Kai is not particularly surprised about most(not all)of the info,because of of some offhand comments Anders had made last turkeyday combined with some research.Kai chooses to major In physics
    Last edited by tyranus; 2014-08-20 at 06:19 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Kobold

Isaac panicked slightly at the secret identity news. He had just introduced himself two seconds ago. He might have unknowingly screwed himself over.

Too late now, he figured.

Isaac almost laughed about the power restrictions. He couldn't exactly turn his off....or at least, he was pretty sure he couldn't?

All of this was already getting overwhelming.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Isaac's major would probably be Teaching.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Lara listened, noting the rules as they were lifted. The secret identity thing was a new one, but the rest was pretty much what she expected. She wasn't sure why Felix wouldn't have mentioned it to her when talking about the school. Maybe it was a fairly recent rule? Either way, Lara was fairly confident that she'd be able to keep her powers hidden from any prying eyes. As far as normal classes, Lara hadn't bothered to declare a major, and was just an exploitory student for now. She'd always planned on passing the HCP program, and never given much thought to anything kind of back up plan. Its a lot easier to give 100% to something if you don't have any real fallback plan.

27. - Top - End - #27

SwashbucklerGuy

Oliver nodded silently. He had been pretty sure this would be the case. "Ghost" would be his name. He already had his stack of Physics and Chemistry books for first semester. He was pretty sure one of those would end up being his "real" major, but he couldn't quite decide which one. Either way, he was excited to be in classes that would actually be challenging for a change. And here he might actually be able to learn in peace. Arthur was right. Things would be different here. Screw Alex!

Bolstered with a momentary boost of will, Oliver looked back at his nemesis sitting next to his roommate, and saw Alex with a look of "what the hell?" on his face, presumably in response to the fact that they'd have to carry on real studies. The bigger boy suddenly caught Oliver's eye and glared at him. Oliver's bravado fled, and he quickly turned back around and sunk down in his chair.

Still, someday they'd call him Doctor Ghost, he seethed in his seat. Watch it.

28. - Top - End - #28

Dylan listened intently to the man as he spoke, nodding to himself as he heard the rules. He'd had some prior warning of them due to his 'mentor' cluing him in the last time they'd spoken, though he frowned at the mention of not being able to use his powers above ground. While hiding his power took very little effort on his part, due to the lack of signs for it's use, that just made him feel irritated - why should he be restricted in when he can use his power?

He gave a small shrug at the mention of having to attend normal classes above - he'd already planned on majoring in psychology, a subject he found to be interesting, and helpful in working out his power.
    Last edited by Bunny of Faith; 2014-08-19 at 07:31 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

olliversaw Alex with a look of "what the hell?" on his face, presumably in response to the fact that they'd have to carry on real studies. The bigger boy suddenly caught Oliver's eye and glared at him. Oliver's bravado fled, and he quickly turned back around and sunk down in his chair.

Still, someday they'd call him Doctor Ghost, he seethed in his seat. Watch it.
    Rayne notices this encounter and pounders what it means. Rayne whispers too Alex "what was that about?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Rayne notices this encounter and pounders what it means. Rayne whispers too Alex "what was that about?"
    Alex turned to Rayne, shaking his head and looking frustrated. "That...Ugh." The Dean was continuing his speach, so he quickly whispered, "Later."

"You will be able to take special elevators like the ones in your dorm to the campus grounds for your ordinary classes. I recommend taking some time in the first week to learn which elevators take you closest to your required classes. I also remind you that if a non HCP personal sees the elevator, or you draw suspicion on yourself from not being subtle, it will look bad on your chances of continuing in the program." Dean Wellington pauses for a moment, allowing this to soak in. Then he gives a broad smile.

"While attending the HCP, you will be taking lessons in ethics, in combat and tactical skills. Ethics should be listed on your time tables as Morality in Ethics, and your combat classes will take place where it says Physical Studies." those of you who have brought your time tables or have them on your phone, realize there are two Physical studies every day, once at the beginning of the day, and one at the end. Each of which are 90 minutes long. Morality in Ethics is also every day, an hour session, around noon.

"Now that I've gotten the nitty gritty out of the way," The dean rubs his hands with anticipation. "Let’s talk about today’s itinerary. Specifically, the event that’s causing many of you to almost explode in your seats from anticipation.” He hesitates. “Metaphorically of course.” His eyes seem to be scanning the cloud on the off chance it proved more than literal.

Lara, you can see Karan still, but not the still of someone scared, but the stillness of a tigress, waiting to pounce. Restrained, controlled, potential fury. Her smile is small, almost too small to contain her excitement.

Kai, you see Matt pumping his fist into his hand. Herb smiles and wipes his glasses with a handkerchief.

“The combat rankings are how we determine who the most combat capable students are at the start of the year. This will set the tone for the rest of the school year, and affect what sort of specific training you might undergo. There will be an additional combat ranking test at the end of the year, to see how far you’ve improved.

“To explain the rankings further, I now give the floor to Professor Hamilton and Professor Ellis.”
    He steps aside, as the man and woman behind him steps forward. The woman, takes the plinth.

“Hello class.” She flashes a million dollar smile. “I am Professor Liane Hamilton. I will be responsible for training your minds, teaching you how to learn to use your abilities in new ways.” She glances at Professor Ellis, motioning with her hand towards the plinth. He ignores the plinth and walks forward towards the students, and speaks clearly.

“My name is Nathan Ellis, but over the course of the year you shall call me, “Devil”, “Monster” and on a good day, ‘Sweet Jesus No.’” There issilence from the students. “Not out of choice of course. Simply because you will be unable to call me much else, as I break you to your very core over the next year.” Some of the students lean back from his…menacing tone. He either did not notice or did not care.

“Then when you have shattered to pieces, I will forge what is left into something strong. Something worthy of the white cape. Only then will you be allowed you the privaledge of dying a hero.”
    Professor Hamilton looked concerned at Professor Ellis. The Dean was still smiling like your favourite uncle.

“Professor Ellis?” She said softly. He turned back to look at her, and frowned.

“Fine.” He turned back to the students. “I will be your combat and physical education teacher this year.” He said in a monotone, yet somehow sarcastic tone. “I hope to bring the best out of all of you.” He looked dissatisfied by what he was saying. Hamilton pushed him to the side.

“Anyway,” She began. “Combat rankings will be moderated by the two of us.
    “Combat rankings will be randomized one on one combats. It will be single elimination, with those who win progressing to the next round.

“You will not, however, be solely marked on victory but also how you fight. Your your capability with your super power, your cunning, and ypour personal combat proficiency.”
    She nodded to the right side, where a red line with a black outline was now glowing.

“Please will all female students follow me to the female combat rankings on my right.” A blue line outlined with black appeared on her left. “And all male students follow Professor Ellis to the male combat rankings on my left.”

She headed to the left, waiting for the girls at the red line. Ellis stands there glumly at Blue line.