New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Streamlining.

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Streamlining.

I think the forum would work better if you took away the new posts thing in green, and the one in brown, as there are always new posts. Besides, the forum says when there is a new message posted in the forum with the last post thing.

Won't this speed things up? Won't this make the forum work faster?
    !! Going to my destruction !!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Streamlining.

There aren't always new posts... What if no one posts in a thread for a while?

Also, changing the entire forum structure for this would take 1) far too much time, 2) far too much work, and 3) would require you to go into the vBulletin code itself, which may or may not be possible.

Even if this change was made, it would have pretty much no positive effect on forum speed. If anything, it would slow the thing down with people now having to open more pages to check if there's been an update.
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2013-01-31 at 10:59 PM.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    There aren't always new posts... What if no one posts in a thread for a while?

Also, changing the entire forum structure for this would take 1) far too much time, 2) far too much work, and 3) would require you to go into the vBulletin code itself, which may or may not be possible.

Even if this change was made, it would have pretty much no positive effect on forum speed. If anything, it would slow the thing down with people now having to open more pages to check if there's been an update.
    You can always see how many posts are in the thread, and who posted there last.

do you know how much more processing it is to have green and brown icons for everything? it would help it from crashing on poor connections... used to happen to me!
    !! Going to my destruction !!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Nortje View Post
    You can always see how many posts are in the thread, and who posted there last.

do you know how much more processing it is to have green and brown icons for everything? it would help it from crashing on poor connections... used to happen to me!
    Indeed you can. But some people don't want to memorize the numbers of posts, or who posted last. Also, what if the same person posted again?

...not much? It would just be a boolean value in the code that just returns true or false depending on whether or not you've read it. And a small image like that gives a superficially longer load time, even on a 56k modem or such.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

It is also completely unnecessary. Thanks though.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak