New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Harry Potter D20 Heavy 3.5 Varient Help Needed PEACH

Felix Felicis: DC 40
    When drunk, this potion causes the drinker to be extremely lucky for a period of time. This takes the form of treating the drinker's AC and all dice rolls to be (10+1/5th the brewer's class level) more than it shows on the dice.
    For example, drinking a Felix Felicis brewed by a level 10 wizard would cause all of the drinker's d20 rolls to be treated as 12 higher than what is shown on the dice. Therefore, an 8 or higher would be treated like a natural 20 (roll again with the bonus for a critical success), and a 13 or higher as an automatic critical success.
    Brewing: Felix Felicis must be brewed 1/8th of a cup at a time, and must ferment for six months (182 days) before being usable.
    1/8th of a cup of Felix Felicis provides 12 hours of luck. Drinking more than 6/8ths of a cup at a time is instantly fatal.
    Special: Each consecutive use within a month's time gives a cumulative 4- penalty to Diplomacy, Sense Motive, and Will Saves, and a 2- penalty to any skill check based on Intelligence or Dexterity.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Zexion; 2010-08-15 at 07:12 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Orc in the Playground

Looks good, though I would also have the bonus apply to AC.

3. - Top - End - #153

RedWizardGuy

I would as well, it is an extremely powerful potion. Also, maybe something about not taking it more then once a more or suffering ill effects? Slughorn mentioned that using it too much can have negative effects.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Orc in the Playground

Have each consecutive use within say, a month's time give a cumulative -4 penalty to diplomacy, sense motive, and will saves or something. This would reflect your overconfidence and relaxed mental agility.

5. - Top - End - #155

Quote Originally Posted by Aranii View Post
    Looks good, though I would also have the bonus apply to AC.
    Fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imbasel View Post
    I would as well, it is an extremely powerful potion. Also, maybe something about not taking it more then once a more or suffering ill effects? Slughorn mentioned that using it too much can have negative effects.
    I added in a amount-to-time ratio and a lethal dose. I'm not sure about how to make a negative effect mechanism.

EDIT: @Aranii: Perfect.
    Last edited by Zexion; 2010-08-15 at 07:11 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156

RedWizardGuy

I think it looks great, and your welcome to keep on with suggestions and putting in new stuff. I really appreciate it. I also have a surprise for everybody within an hour.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Orc in the Playground

One quick thing, I would suggest lowering the damage of being hit by a bludger to 1d6 nonlethal damage. Otherwise, at 1st level, 1 hit from the bludger and you'll probably be knocked unconscious.

8. - Top - End - #158

RedWizardGuy

Okay, will change any other comments on Quidditch. Also, I will be adding more brooms later.
    Last edited by Imbasel; 2010-08-15 at 07:17 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

I was just thinking about transfiguration and how at least in the books it seemed like a very free form branch of magic. It might be better to avoid writing a billion changing X into Y spells and have each transfiguration spell apply a specific change. Like changing the type of material is one. Changing the shape is another. Making living to nonliving or the other way. Each change you make adds to the DC and there might be penalties for adding too many transformations.

It avoids having to have a billion transformation spells and is true to the books where they start just changing materials, match to needle, and then progress to doing more complex things. Just a thought.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Orc in the Playground

Well in HP, each transmutation spell has a unique incantation. I think the current system is good, as it still allows for unique spells, but doesn't require us to write up every possibility. All that's needed are a few sample spells Then, when the players ask their DM for a specific transmutation, the DM looks at the sample spell closest to the desired effect, assigns a new DC, and voila, there you have your spell.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Call me nuts, but maybe the Luck potion should work as a Wish spell?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

12. - Top - End - #162

RedWizardGuy

I'm calling you nuts . I do think however, that a wish spell is a bit much. The DM can add a circumstance bonus to all things the player does while under the potions affects, if they wish and allow them to ignore enemies and bad things they may have otherwise encountered.

13. - Top - End - #163

RedWizardGuy

Boom. Check this site out. Tell me what you think. https://sites.google.com/site/harrypotterd20/

14. - Top - End - #164

Boom. Check this site out. Tell me what you think. https://sites.google.com/site/harrypotterd20/
    There are two "Races" sections...

15. - Top - End - #165

RedWizardGuy

Fixed it, anything else?
    Last edited by Imbasel; 2010-08-15 at 08:01 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166

Fixed it, anything else?
    Seems pretty good. I encourage you to link to it as well as this thread in your sig.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

Looks excellent Imbasel. Now I'm just waiting for your divination stuff.

18. - Top - End - #168

RedWizardGuy

I've spent most of the past two hours working on the site so Divination has my full attention now.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Looks sleek and sexy.

Divination can sit. I mean, we wont be taking till we're 3rd years. It coud probably be it's own Prestige Class. Their are 3 level Prestige Classes aren't their?
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2010-08-15 at 08:12 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170

RedWizardGuy

Darnnit, I forgot about the years that you can take extra classes. Also, I was going to make it so after 5th level you could take the "seer prestige" class. Basically heres how it goes I think for the skills so as to save me a headache. If you can write it in your backstory you can have the skills when you start off. If not you have to wait until you hit second year/third year in school or find somebody to tutor you/independent study.
    Last edited by Imbasel; 2010-08-15 at 08:17 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Is this just for divination or for all the magic skills?

22. - Top - End - #172

RedWizardGuy

Just Divination, and knowledge (Magical creatures).Since you won't be exposed to that until second or third year it doesn't make sense to have ranks in it. Unless of course its in your backstory and has DM approval.

23. - Top - End - #173

RedWizardGuy

Crystal Ball Gazing DC 25- You gaze into the crystal ball, and attempt to peer through the fog. Make a DC 25 check. If you succeed you manage to gaze into the future by up to one day. The gazing allows the person to see one important event of DM choice that will occur the next day. This however, can be changed as time is an ever changing flowing river, and knowing about the event can cause it to not happen. By adding a +5 to the DC the player can choose one particular event they could happen the next day.
    For example Lavender Brown, wishes to know if she will pass her test she has just taken. She focuses on the crystal ball, and tries to peer into the future. The image of a paper floats to the top, past the smog of the ball with an Outstanding on it. Smiling she goes to tell her friends of her success.

Forewarning DC 20- This ability can be used as a free action anytime you would normally be surprised or flat-footed. Make a divination check against DC (15 or 20), if you succeed, you are not treated as flat-footed for that attack. Each consecutive use of this ability in an encounter raises the base DC by 2. In addition, this check can be made at the beginning of combat. Every 2 points that you roll higher than a DC of 15 gives you a +1 bonus to initiative.

Peer into the Moment DC 20- You concentrate upon the timeline of the immediate future, and shift through the many different possibilities. As your mind wanders the current of time, you realize the effects your actions will have in the future. Make a DC 20 check as a standard action. If you succeed you gain knowledge of whether or not a decision you make in the next minute will have positive, neutral or negative effects. For example, Lavender Brown is trying to escape some Death Eaters and runs into two doors running in different directions. Pausing for a minute she peers into the immediate future, and decides going down the left door will only bring trouble. She then decides to go down the right.
    This only allows for a person, to sense immediate ramifications within a minute. The left hand passageway for example could have had a magical trap, and then been safe. The right hand door could have contained a passageway, that was safe for a 5 minute run, only to go into a meeting chamber for Death Eaters. You may also add +5 DC to see why one choice is better, or +5 DC to see an additional minute into the future.

Reading Tea Leaves DC 15- You take a cup of tea, that has had its dregs, settle at the bottom. You flip the cup over, and an image appears. You may make a reading either for yourself or for one other person. Make a DC 15 Divination check. If you succeed you get a vague idea of the subjects future that is limited to one day. The DM ultimately decides what you learn, but here are some example readings. You learn that good fortune will befall the subject today; Beware those who wear red, for they shall bring ill tidings; you shall suffer , but come out the stronger; Happiness and sadness shall occur at once as if a double bladed sword; One drop in the pond, can cause ripples that affect those around them, be they good or ill. You can also add +5 DC to get clearer and additional information, such as what time of day, and things like the circumstances of what will happen.

Palm Reading DC 10- You take a persons hand, and read the lines on it. Make a DC 10 Divination check. If you succeed you successfully read the person palm. Upon reading the persons palm you immediately discover the personals alignment. You also find out generic information about their abilities and skills, as well as personality. For example somebody reading Harry Potter’s hand might find out that he is an inspiring figure, who is a brave, and steadfast warrior. By adding a +5 to the DC, you can instead something specific that you wish to know. For example, you could learn what the subjects Curses and Anti-Curses modifier was.
    Last edited by Imbasel; 2010-08-16 at 10:30 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

No. Bludgers should do real damage.

1. First years don't really play, and 2. People fall unconcious in Quiditch games, so it makes sense.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground

If your nonlethal damage exceeds your HP total, you fall unconscious. Also, bludgers just cause bruises, and not broken bones (often) or open wounds. This is why they cause nonlethal damage.

Also, you don't want players to be flying around when a bludger crits them and they die. That would be no fun.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Aranii View Post
    If your nonlethal damage exceeds your HP total, you fall unconscious. Also, bludgers just cause bruises, and not broken bones (often) or open wounds. This is why they cause nonlethal damage.

Also, you don't want players to be flying around when a bludger crits them and they die. That would be no fun.
    Well, no, but it does happen.

27. - Top - End - #177

RedWizardGuy

How about you start taking lethal damage once you pass out? So if you get knocked out and fall you get hurt badly, and if you get hit by one bludger and then knocked out, and another hits you it deals lethal damage.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

Falling damage is already lethal, and I think that if you get knocked out, you would fall off your broom. So it sounds like that system is already in place.

29. - Top - End - #179

RedWizardGuy

Thanks, I designed it so that getting hit by a bludger couldn't kill. I figured that when people do die its from falling.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Orc in the Playground

I wrote up a couple of charms, what do you think?

Episkey DC 10 or 15- When cast, this spell heals 1d4 points of lethal damage, or twice that amount of non-lethal damage. This spell can only be used on a person twice in one day, additional castings have no effect. For every 5 points by which the caster exceeds the DC, this spell heals an additional 1d4 points of damage.

Vulnera Sanentur DC 25- When cast, this spell closes wounds, mends broken bones, and heals 2d8 points of lethal damage. This spell can only be used on a person three times in one day. For every 5 points by which the caster exceeds the DC, this spell heals an additional 1d8 points of damage.