New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Under a Grinning Moon : High Fantasy WW (Recruiting!)

Under a Grinning Moon

A HIGH FANTASY GAME OF WEREWOLF

“It's a taunt. They want us to know that they're here; that it's no accident that the throne is now vacant.”

The captain took a final glimpse out of the window at the grotesque apparition that had taken-up residence in the night's sky, blotting-out the moon. That wicked, toothy smile would not likely leave his nightmares for some time.

He closed and locked the shutters.

“We'll crumble as surely as Krakburg did if we don't move quickly, captain. A few drops of innocent blood here or there is well worth preserving the seat of the empire.”

“I have posted extra watchmen. Every refugee coming through the city walls is being thoroughly--”

“I told you, it's too late for that! They've already slipped through!”

The inquisitor received a harsh glare from the captain, but he knew that the old bigot was ultimately right. They hadn't been – he hadn't been – strict enough with the amnesty seekers when they first began to trickle in. How much would this mistake now cost?

“I yield to your judgment, Ioseb. March out your witch hunters. Whatever Stitchers are here, let's ensure their stay is a short one.”

This is a high fantasy mini-WW game for 20 players. Rumor wafts down the streets of the capital of the old empire as a vicious looking pale face hangs in the sky where the moon once was. Rumor suggesting that the emperor himself may be dead – perhaps even assassinated – and that the dread Stitchers may have, at long last, wormed their way into the very heart of the kingdom. If one frequented the right (or perhaps wrong) venues, one might even hear hushed whisperings that the prison holding the terrible demon king Lord Jorgunway in captivity lies in the underbelly of the imperial palace itself, and that the Stitchers aren't merely here to subvert the empire, but to unleash a far greater menace upon the world.

THE ROLES & RULES:

Village

Spoiler
    Show

During the relative calm of the day, the village votes to nominate someone for investigation by the city watch. This player will be publicly scried and unable to use any powers until they are excused by the Captain of the Watch. During the fearful hours of the night, the village votes to nominate someone to sit before a kangaroo court where they will be sentenced to burn at the stake for practicing black magic. This player will be removed from the game.

Villagers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There will be 10 normal villagers. Each villager will be given one of the following 5 powers, and the powers will be spread evenly throughout the village (in other words, there will be two players that each have a given power):

Spoiler
    Show

Pendant of the Lion:
    Spoiler
    Show
    One player of your choice cannot be killed tonight. Any individual players attempting to kill this player with a power are killed instead.

Pendant of the Scorpion:
    Spoiler
    Show
    One player of your choice cannot be killed tonight. One random player from any faction of those who may have tried to kill the player is killed instead. The following night, another random player from the same faction will die.

Pendant of the Hawk:
    Spoiler
    Show
    One player of your choice cannot be killed tonight. Two random players that are unaligned with the village are killed.

Pendant of the Snake:
    Spoiler
    Show
    One player of your choice cannot be killed tonight. One random player that is unaligned with the village will become aligned with the village.

Pendant of the Dragon:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Two players of your choice cannot be killed tonight. Two random players involved in attempting to kill either player are killed instead.

These powers may only be invoked at night. If a villager uses their power to protect someone and their target is not attacked, the player who used their power is removed from the game.

The goal of the village is to eliminate all of the Stitchers and the Order of Jorgunway. If all three of these factions are eliminated, the game immediately ends with a village victory.

Captain of the Guard:
    Spoiler
    Show
    During the relative calm of the day, the Captain of the Guard may choose to either scry a player of their choice or pardon any player being held under investigation by the watch. During the fearful hours of the night, they may choose to cut down any player they feel suspicious of. The player will be killed.

Our Lady of Martyrs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    During the relative calm of the day, Our Lady of Martyrs may bring one player who has been killed (but not removed from the game) back to life.

The Fallen (Neutral)

Spoiler
    Show

The Fallen are rogue practitioners of black magic; they were once Stitchers, but they grew weary of the wanton death & misery they once spread. They now seek atonement by lashing-out at their former allies from the shadows.

The goal of the Fallen is to eliminate all of the Stitchers. So long as no Stitchers are alive at the end of the game, the Fallen will be considered victorious, even if no Fallen members survive.

Frost Witch:
    Spoiler
    Show
    During the fearful hours of the night, the Frost Witch may choose to blast any player they feel suspicious of. That player will be killed.

Warlock:
    Spoiler
    Show
    During the fearful hours of the night, the Warlock will be given the name of one random wolf and four other random players. They may choose up to two people from among the names given; if at least one of the names picked is a werewolf or serial killer, one of the picked werewolves or serial killers will be removed from the game. If no werewolves or serial killers are picked, each player picked is removed from the game.

Oracle:
    Spoiler
    Show
    During the relative calm of the day, the Oracle may choose to scry a player of their choice.

Stitchers (Werewolves)

Spoiler
    Show

The Stitchers have come to subvert the empire; they've already assassinated the emperor, and now merely need to bring the population of the capital to heel.

During the fearful hours of the night, the Order of Jorgunway votes to nominate someone to be murdered; the player will be killed.

The goal of the Stitchers is to outnumber the village and eliminate the Order of Jorgunway. If both conditions are met, the game immediately ends with a WW victory.

Necromancer:
    Spoiler
    Show
    During the fearful hours of the night, the Necromancer may choose to either resurrect any dead player and add them to the ranks of the Stitchers or kill any player of their choice.

Sorceress:
    Spoiler
    Show
    During the fearful hours of the night, the Sorceress may choose to scry up to two players of their choice.

Hexmage:
    Spoiler
    Show
    During the fearful hours of the night, the Hexmage may choose to void one player's powers for the night that this power is used and the day after.

The Order of Jorgunway (Serial Killers)

Spoiler
    Show

The Order of Jorgunway are twisted patrons of Lord Jorgunway, the demon king locked away beneath the imperial palace. They wish to free their deity and bring about the apocalypse.

During the fearful hours of the night, the Order of Jorgunway votes to nominate someone to be publicly scried; the apparition covering the moon will shriek out their role & alignment.

The goal of the Order of Jorgunway is to outnumber every faction, combined. If this condition is met, the game immediately ends with a Serial Killer victory.

Infiltrators:
    Spoiler
    Show
    One member of the Order of Jorgunway will be placed among the village specials, one will be placed among the Stitchers and one will be placed among the Fallen. These are the Infiltrators. They will be disguised as either the Captain of the Guard, the Sorceress or the Oracle, depending on the faction they're infiltrating. If any Infiltrator is scried or an attempt is made to kill them by an individual player's power (so long as the power is not a villager's pendant power), the player(s) trying to do the scrying or killing will be converted to The Order of Jorgunway.

Infiltrators do not actually have the powers of the player roles they're disguised as.

The Possessed:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Possessed is an unmasoned member of the Order of Jorgunway; a demon turned loose upon the population of the capitol. During the fearful hours of the night, the Possessed will kill every person that votes for them so long as they are not the player with the most total votes by the end of the night, and may kill one other person of their choice.

The Possessed cannot be killed.

The Witchhunter (Superhero)

Spoiler
    Show
    The Witchhunter has been dispatched from the imperial palace to slay the Order of Jorgunway. During the relative calm of the day, the Witchhunter may choose to either:

1. Torture a player of their choice to death for information. The player will be removed from the game, and one random player from within their faction will be scried to the Witchhunter.

2. Burn the corpses! Every killed player who is still dead will be removed from the game.

During the fearful hours of the night, the Witchunter will be given the name of one random serial killer and four other random players. They may choose up to two people from among the names given; if at least one of the names picked is a werewolf or serial killer, one of the picked werewolves or serial killers will be removed from the game. If no werewolves or serial killers are picked, each player picked is removed from the game.

The goal of the Witchhunter is to eliminate all of the Order of Jorgunway. So long as members of The Order of Jorgunway are alive at the end of the game, the Witchhunter will be considered victorious, even if he does not survive.

All votes are made publicly, but tabulated according to what each group is voting for on the given time of day. If your group does not have anything to vote for at the given time of day, your votes won't count (but you're encouraged to always cast a vote anyway, so you don't give yourself away!)

General Rules

Spoiler
    Show

- Any player who is inactive for two full days will be autolynched.
    - Do not share your role PMs with each other, please.

Player List

Spoiler
    Show

1. Aemoh
    2. billtodamax
    3. Siriq
    4. TheLaughingMan
    5. lostlittlebear
    6. Fleeing Coward
    7. Internet Flea
    8. Lex-kat
    9. cd4
    10. hap_hazard
    11. heroic
    12. Tydude
    13. Robert Blackletter
    Last edited by The Ender; 2010-08-17 at 03:18 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Under a Grinning Moon : High Fantasy WW (Recruiting!)

Wow... I see this game ending very very fast.

IN

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sure, I'll join. This promises to be very briefly exceedingly entertaining.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

This does sound like fun.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, since I'm already in four games already... in.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

...Are sign-ups for WW typically this slow, or am I pretty safe to assume that there's not much interest for this one?

7. - Top - End - #7

While this is pretty slow, it's been like a day.

Games that look complicated like this one does tend to be slow to gather players.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

I'm in, yay!

WW Games I have won:
    Spoiler
    Show

Day of the Dead 2 - Doctor
    Monster Mash III - Zombie Alpha

Avatar courtesy of the wonderful Strawberries

9. - Top - End - #9

Count me in
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    He's Fleeing Coward. The man could be a cookie-baking, cancer-stricken orphan kitten and still look like a reasonable suspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    I would advise people not to trust FC just on principle. Even if he's on your team, confirmed by the narrator.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

are you sure this is balanced?
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

I'll join. Am I to assume eliminating the Serial Killers doesn't include killing the Possessed?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Internet Flea View Post
    I'll join. Am I to assume eliminating the Serial Killers doesn't include killing the Possessed?
    Well, sort of. You need to remove the Possessed from the game, since he's immune to simply being killed.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Ender View Post
    Well, sort of. You need to remove the Possessed from the game, since he's immune to simply being killed.
    I might be missing something, but I'm only seeing two roles that can remove a player from the game without killing them. Neither of them are villagers, and one of them has no reason to eliminate the Possessed.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

...Are sign-ups for WW typically this slow, or am I pretty safe to assume that there's not much interest for this one?
    Also, new people seem to have harder time getting people to join, and it's summer.

Everyone's games seem to suffer during the summer period. Players seem to think they need a vacation or some such nonsense.

Oh, and I'll join. Hopefully you fix that "Possessed" problem.
    Last edited by Lex-Kat; 2010-08-14 at 11:01 PM.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

15. - Top - End - #15

OldWizardGuy

Sounds like an interesting game, I think I will join.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGuy

In. -10 char. N more.-
    -SPLAT!-

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Totally IN

Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

Formerly known as Hero 1.0

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Internet Flea View Post
    I might be missing something, but I'm only seeing two roles that can remove a player from the game without killing them. Neither of them are villagers, and one of them has no reason to eliminate the Possessed.
    The village can remove the Possessed from the game via the vote, as well as throw him in jail. One of the two roles that can directly eliminate the Possessed may end-up doing so incidentally.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

The village can remove the Possessed from the game via the vote, as well as throw him in jail. One of the two roles that can directly eliminate the Possessed may end-up doing so incidentally.
    So the vote removes players from the game, it doesn't just kill them? I guess the Possessed isn't too bad then, just "immune to most nightkills".
    Last edited by Internet Flea; 2010-08-15 at 11:57 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm.... I've been watching this for a while because I didn't know if I wanted to join or not, but I've decided I want to join. Count me in!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

I be so like in
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Johel View Post
    Because utopia is a dream, humans are bastards and any attempt to really flesh out Neverland turns it into Battle Royal island, only with pirates, cannibal children, man-eating mermaids, sadistic Indians, nymphomaniac fairies and Godzilla with a ringing tummy.

I have a specific learning difficulty, if I misuse grammar, misspell or otherwise abuse the written word, forgive me

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

i will do this...but only because i could see like 80+% of the field going away on night 1
    This message was approved in Triplicate by Bureaucrat #36---please submit Form 16-j-43 before reading

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VA_beds View Post
    i will do this...but only because i could see like 80+% of the field going away on night 1
    You sure your not just being optimistic?

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

this sounds fun, I'll give it a go.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

I'ma in to kill peepz!

WW Games I have won:
    Spoiler
    Show

Day of the Dead 2 - Doctor
    Monster Mash III - Zombie Alpha

Avatar courtesy of the wonderful Strawberries

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm in.
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

27. - Top - End - #27

In. Not quite sure how a WW where everyone has a power is going to work out, I think it'll either be awesome or insane. Probably both.
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King;
    Hydrogen Dioxide! It kills more people than ANYTHING ELSE! Billions are CHRONICALLY ADDICTED to it!

INCLUDING BABIES! THINK OF THE BABIES!
    Currently not doing any Let's Plays or AARs or anything, on account of being a lazy git. I'll get around to it eventually. Really.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Come on, that's 18. Just 2 more!

29. - Top - End - #29

This sounds completely and utterly insane. In.
    The artist formerly known as Tired N' Drowzy, master of puns.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sadly, The Ender was just auto lynched in a WW game, so it looks like he's not posting anymore. It looks like this is dead.
    Avatar of Yoshimo by Trazoi. WW Banner by Elder Tsofu.

Trophies and Titles
    Spoiler
    Show
    Protecting the Guilty/I Survived the City of the Drifter(City of Darkness)
    Bringer of Chaos/Last Assassin Standing/Werewolf Finder/Oops! (City of Shadows)
    (Shape-shifters 2)
    (Bombs Away Heat 2)