New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default smurfs but not the smurfs

so i am working on a d&d world and i am trying to use smurfs. I know smurfs come from old Belgium stories but do to the popularity of the smurfs i am having trouble finding anything on these old story. could anyone help me with find these either by giving me a link or a search term. thanks
    Have you accepted the Flying Spaghetti Monster as your Lord and Savior? If so, add this to your signature!
    Beholders are just a meatball that fell out of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    my first game started on a pirate ship
    Sorry for any spelling mistake

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: smurfs but not the smurfs

You might try Wikipedia. It has a decent amount of info.

3. - Top - End - #3

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Future Sword View Post
    You might try Wikipedia. It has a decent amount of info.
    the problem is that when you go looking for this all you get is the smurfs
    Have you accepted the Flying Spaghetti Monster as your Lord and Savior? If so, add this to your signature!
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

4. - Top - End - #4

After a bit of digging, Peyo stated that the Smurfs were inspired by Nordic Troll folklore in general, not necessarily any specific stories. The same folklore roots as the fuzzy headed troll dolls you see. So digging through folklore collections with that in mind might help you find the sort of stories you're looking for!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    After a bit of digging, Peyo stated that the Smurfs were inspired by Nordic Troll folklore in general, not necessarily any specific stories. The same folklore roots as the fuzzy headed troll dolls you see.
    I always wondered how the creators of those ridiculous little dolls went from things like this to those.

Scandinavian trolls are not little brownies or imps, they are big, ugly, dangerous and dumb.
    Last edited by BWR; 2017-12-01 at 12:03 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

That is a good question (and an awesome picture, by the way). And oddly those troll dolls were created around the same time (1959). I'm seeing some references where the word troll was sometimes used as a generic "magic folk to be avoided" rather than a specific creature type. Sort of like the wee folk or the good neighbors being a shorthand/euphemism for any manner of unknown fairy. But I'm not coming across anything (on my phone at work on my lunch break anyway) indicating them ever being helpful or friendly.

I'm really curious about this now too, and will have to do some digging over the weekend!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

You know, I always thought deep gnomes (svirfneblin) were supposed to be the smurfs of d&d. They're small, blue, community spirited, constantly persecuted by evil monsters and 'svirf' sounds a lot like 'smurf' if you say it out loud.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    I always wondered how the creators of those ridiculous little dolls went from things like this to those.

Scandinavian trolls are not little brownies or imps, they are big, ugly, dangerous and dumb.
    They are also human-sized, beautiful, cultured, rich, intelligent, and powerful magic users.

EDIT: On the main subject, there are plenty of Scandinavian (and other as well, obviously) folklore about tiny folk living underground, frequently beneath human housing.
    Last edited by Waddacku; 2017-12-03 at 07:41 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waddacku View Post
    [Trolls] are also human-sized, beautiful, cultured, rich, intelligent, and powerful magic users.
    Examples, please.
    I can't think of any. Rich,sure, but not beautiful, cultured or particularly intelligent. Granted, there is an issue with lack of hard definitions, but every story that comes to mind with the word 'troll' in it refers to the big, dumb, ugly type.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Examples, please.
    I can't think of any. Rich,sure, but not beautiful, cultured or particularly intelligent. Granted, there is an issue with lack of hard definitions, but every story that comes to mind with the word 'troll' in it refers to the big, dumb, ugly type.
    Equally as cultured and intelligent as humans, living in parallel societies doing pretty much exactly the same things. Mid-Swedish lore tends to have them difficult to distinguish from regular people and more characterized by magic than physical traits. Plenty of stories around about people dealing with them as if they were just some odd neighbors, too. A stranger-danger aspect is common.
    I don't know if there are any particular folk tales I can refer you to, particularly since I guess you are not familiar with Swedish, which is what most every collection I've come across is in. You have to differentiate between folk tales and folk beliefs, though. Monstrous trolls are much more common in the former, while the human-like ones are mainly part of the latter.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Funny story : the original name of the smurfs (schtroumpf) was made up spontaneously by Peyo for a completely unrelated reason. If you don't find anything about actual old folklore by googling it, it's normal.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waddacku View Post
    Equally as cultured and intelligent as humans, living in parallel societies doing pretty much exactly the same things. Mid-Swedish lore tends to have them difficult to distinguish from regular people and more characterized by magic than physical traits. Plenty of stories around about people dealing with them as if they were just some odd neighbors, too. A stranger-danger aspect is common.
    I don't know if there are any particular folk tales I can refer you to, particularly since I guess you are not familiar with Swedish, which is what most every collection I've come across is in. You have to differentiate between folk tales and folk beliefs, though. Monstrous trolls are much more common in the former, while the human-like ones are mainly part of the latter.
    I can read Swedish well enough, if that's what you mean, and would very much like to be directed to stories. Could be a cultural difference, but I'm pretty sure there are little to no 'other folk' aspects to the trolls presented in Abjørnsen & Moe, just dumb monsters.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

I can read Swedish well enough, if that's what you mean, and would very much like to be directed to stories. Could be a cultural difference, but I'm pretty sure there are little to no 'other folk' aspects to the trolls presented in Abjørnsen & Moe, just dumb monsters.
    Ah! Well, in that case. To reiterate, I don't recall any specific folk tales on the theme, but https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll#...svensk_folktro and http://www.sprakochfolkminnen.se/om-...-folktron.html are some of the secondary sources I used to double check myself. Particularly the second one has some anecdotes of dealings with trolls people had actually heard from grandparents etc.

It wouldn't surprise me if Norwegian Wikipedia covers the regional variations in lore as well, but I hadn't looked at it. Swedish Wiki suggests the Norwegian versions are more uniformly about dumb brutes, though.

14. - Top - End - #14

RedWizardGuy

thank you all of this info. i will use the lead and what you have given me. this will be very helpful.