New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Creepiest D&D Content

Sure they do. They just don't eat for sustenance.
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

The Ogre stats in the Monster Manuel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Kill a PC's father? Well that's just the cost of doing business.
    Steal a PC's boots? Now it's personal.
    Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Unless we're arguing about alignment. In which case, you're wrong.

Former EMPIRE2! Player: Imperator of the Nihoni Dominion
    Former EMPIRE3! Player: Suzerain of the Phœnīx Estates
    Former EMPIRE4! Player: Margrave of the Margraviate of Rhune
    My Awesome Campaign Setting

3. - Top - End - #243
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    Leaving aside that nobody with any grasp of the history of English literature would take it literally
    Except that we're talking about devils, so doing something which is wrong specifically because it's wrong is entirely in character here. And as Lyndworm pointed out, just because they don't eat for sustenance doesn't mean they aren't fully capable of doing it for their own sick amusement. In fact aren't there devils or demons that are specifically called out as gluttonous?

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, there are outsiders that eat for enjoyment; I'm almost certain of it. I can't think of one off of the top of my head, though, sorry.

I almost edited my post with the above, but a forum error hid my post. Sorry to sound so curt!

Edit:
    I've found several outsiders (two non-demons, one non-devil) that eat, for one reason or another;

Fiend Folio:
    Maurezhis: Basically demonic ghouls that can shapeshift into things they've eaten.

Wastriliths: Demonic eel-men that specifically do not need to eat, but eat intelligent beings for fun.

Monster Manual:
    Bebeliths: Spider-like demons that hunt and "prey" upon other demons.

Monster Manual II:
    Abyssal maw: Essentially a mouth with legs, they're demons known to eat bits they tear off during combat.

Jariliths: Demonic lions that are stated to prefer the flesh of other demons, and hunt prey.

Monster Manual IV:
    Nashrous: Bizarre demons that "devour any other creature that crosses their path."

Demonhives: Evil bee-monster outsiders that specifically eat carrion.

Monster Manual V:
    Adarus: Demonic centipedes that specifically do not to eat, but love to eat anyway.

Gadacros: demons who specifically do not need to eat, but crave flesh and prefer fresh eyeballs.

Solamiths: basically gluttony demons. They don't need to eat, but they eat pretty much everything, including weaker demons and petitioners.

Gulthirs: devils who eat other devils as a form of punishment (devils are weird).
    Last edited by Lyndworm; 2012-10-01 at 02:10 AM.
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SgtCarnage92 View Post
    What's a good source for more information on fey? I've done some basic net searches but I would love to delve into the lore more.
    I don't know how you'd get a hold of it, but The Enchanted World series is a great resource, and as a bonus goes out of its way somewhat to look at stuff outside of Europe. The specific books that cover fey include Fairies and Elves (duh), Legends of Valor, Water Spirits, Dwarfs, Spells and Bindings, Seekers and Saviours, Fabled Lands, Magical Justice, and Lore of Love. But there's probably bits and pieces all over the place.
    Oh, and one of the best things about that series: every book has a comprehensive bibliography, which if you're interested in it would be a great start for more academic research.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2012-10-01 at 02:44 AM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Banned

I now find myself wondering if the Wastriliths have anything to do with Wastri the Greyhawk god of "bigotry and amphibians".

7. - Top - End - #247
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey, all you guys discussing Torog, http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/30878/torog.jpg popped up on multiple Google searches. Is this the one?

WARNING: THE PICTURE IS RATHER DISTURBING TO THE LEVEL OF POSSIBLY BEING NSFW AND I JUST COPIED THE URL AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE SO I COULD LEAVE THE PAGE.

EDIT: Derp, I hate the link coding on forums, I always get it the wrong way around
    Last edited by SilverLeaf167; 2012-10-01 at 10:23 AM.
    Saga of the Slavs – Paradox Megacampaign AAR (continued at last!)

Sovereign Levander on Steam

8. - Top - End - #248
    Banned

It was so disturbing that my browser refused to display it....

9. - Top - End - #249

The coding was wrong. Try this.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Banned

Gwah! Yeah, that's pretty horrid. I'm jaded enough to have endured a brief glance, but I don't blame anyone for getting their stomach in a twist from that level of yick.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    He's a bloody mess, but other than that its not really that disturbing.

I honestly find the fact that he's in the same pose as so many pinup girls more disturbing than the knives embedded in his back and leg.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

12. - Top - End - #252
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sutremaine View Post
    Is it the picture where his waist is bent backwards?
    Preeeeeetty much. Not to mention all the spikes in him.

13. - Top - End - #253

So, a big wounded man covered in blood with whta seem to be some mutations around his feet?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

14. - Top - End - #254
    Firbolg in the Playground

That's what people have been all creeped out by?

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post

That's what people have been all creeped out by?
    Yep. Pinhead's bigger, messier brother, looks like.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't know how you'd get a hold of it, but The Enchanted World series is a great resource, and as a bonus goes out of its way somewhat to look at stuff outside of Europe. The specific books that cover fey include Fairies and Elves (duh), Legends of Valor, Water Spirits, Dwarfs, Spells and Bindings, Seekers and Saviours, Fabled Lands, Magical Justice, and Lore of Love. But there's probably bits and pieces all over the place.
    Oh, and one of the best things about that series: every book has a comprehensive bibliography, which if you're interested in it would be a great start for more academic research.
    I might check local libraries and see if they have them. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Last edited by SgtCarnage92; 2012-10-01 at 01:43 PM.
    Awesome Gunslinger Avatar by Kymme

"The mind of the subject will desperately struggle to create memories where none exist..." Barriers to Trans-Dimensional Travel, Rosalind Lutece, 1889

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

I might check local libraries and see if they have them. Thanks for the suggestion!
    There are lots of books of old folklore. Just ask about those, and get a pile.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndworm View Post
    Yes, there are outsiders that eat for enjoyment; I'm almost certain of it. I can't think of one off of the top of my head, though, sorry.

I almost edited my post with the above, but a forum error hid my post. Sorry to sound so curt!

Edit:
    I've found several outsiders (two non-demons, one non-devil) that eat, for one reason or another;

Fiend Folio:
    Maurezhis: Basically demonic ghouls that can shapeshift into things they've eaten.

Wastriliths: Demonic eel-men that specifically do not need to eat, but eat intelligent beings for fun.

Monster Manual:
    Bebeliths: Spider-like demons that hunt and "prey" upon other demons.

Monster Manual II:
    Abyssal maw: Essentially a mouth with legs, they're demons known to eat bits they tear off during combat.

Jariliths: Demonic lions that are stated to prefer the flesh of other demons, and hunt prey.

Monster Manual IV:
    Nashrous: Bizarre demons that "devour any other creature that crosses their path."

Demonhives: Evil bee-monster outsiders that specifically eat carrion.

Monster Manual V:
    Adarus: Demonic centipedes that specifically do not to eat, but love to eat anyway.

Gadacros: demons who specifically do not need to eat, but crave flesh and prefer fresh eyeballs.

Solamiths: basically gluttony demons. They don't need to eat, but they eat pretty much everything, including weaker demons and petitioners.

Gulthirs: devils who eat other devils as a form of punishment (devils are weird).
    All very interesting, but given that this is unnatural behaviour for Fierna's species, don't you think it should be described more explicitly if such was the case? Especially since it comes from a book that's suppose to highlight how evil these people are? I'm just thinking Occam's Razor here. Don't read too much into it.

I'm not going to sweat much defending the moral and ethical status of a, by nature, unambiguously evil fictional being, but it's odd that people are using vague information that has nothing to do with the being in question and holding it as evidence against her.

Also, the line Willpell quoted; isn't a paraphrase (or a possible translation) of Juvenal describing Messalina? I knew I was going to feel silly stating English Literature.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Banned

I quoted a line? Remind me, it's been a while.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Barbarian in the Playground

it's odd that people are using vague information that has nothing to do with the being in question and holding it against as evidence against her.
    She's female. People often do that to women, be they real or fictional.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

All very interesting, but given that this is unnatural behaviour for Fierna's species, don't you think it should be described more explicitly if such was the case? Especially since it comes from a book that's suppose to highlight how evil these people are? I'm just thinking Occam's Razor here. Don't read too much into it.

I'm not going to sweat much defending the moral and ethical status of a, by nature, unambiguously evil fictional being, but it's odd that people are using vague information that has nothing to do with the being in question and holding it as evidence against her.
    Oh, sorry! I never meant to come down on one side of the Fierna debate or the other; only provide information backing up my original claim that outsiders can eat even if they don't need to.

Personally, I don't see where, as stated, she's especially Evil. Nor do I see where she's specifically Neutral or Good. This is a running problem with Evil-aligned creatures, though.
    Fluff | Crunch

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Dire Zeuglodon also creeps me out.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

That's actually a regular zeuglodon (an old name for basilosaurus). Frostburn includes prehistoric animals in the Dire animals section of its bestiary.
    Fluff | Crunch

24. - Top - End - #264

Though they did give it a pretty strange head on that picture.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The LOBster View Post
    Going to be running a fey/horror campaign at some point. All of my players right now are talking about running mounted characters. All I can say is thank you :D
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndworm View Post
    That's actually a regular zeuglodon (an old name for basilosaurus). Frostburn includes prehistoric animals in the Dire animals section of its bestiary.
    No, an actual zeuglodon is way more elongated with much, much smaller flippers. What they made was essentially a dire humpback whale.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    Going to be running a fey/horror campaign at some point. All of my players right now are talking about running mounted characters. All I can say is thank you :D
    It's not the only creepy-awesome mounted fey out there. The Cold Rider makes me shiver just looking at it.
    Awesome Gunslinger Avatar by Kymme

"The mind of the subject will desperately struggle to create memories where none exist..." Barriers to Trans-Dimensional Travel, Rosalind Lutece, 1889

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The LOBster View Post
    No, an actual zeuglodon is way more elongated with much, much smaller flippers. What they made was essentially a dire humpback whale.
    I agree that the depiction of the creature, and arguably its statistics, doesn't really match that of the basilosaurus. I only meant to say that, according to the book itself, that creature isn't really considered "Dire;" at least, no more so than glyptadons and mammoths.
    Last edited by Lyndworm; 2012-10-02 at 11:41 PM.
    Fluff | Crunch

29. - Top - End - #269

It's not the only creepy-awesome mounted fey out there. The Cold Rider makes me shiver just looking at it.
    I kind of want to do a campaign based on their background, now: maybe one of them is the beau of another fey, who tasks the party with getting back the Rider's stolen heart from the Witch's castle, and giving it back to him - or maybe just getting it to the lover will do the trick ("heart belongs to her" and all that jazz).
    But don't you like that image? Something like the castle of the witch with the heads in Return to Oz, except instead of heads you have case upon case of hearts, maybe each one captured in a block of ice. The macabre hall would echo with the slow pounding of all the hearts...

edit: annnnnd now I want to run a Return to Oz game. It's probably an obscure enough movie that it wouldn't be hard to find players who haven't seen it, but would that be better, or would it be better to play with people who have?
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2012-10-03 at 01:39 AM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

The Vow of Obedience feat from BoED weirds me the heck out. I guess the idea is that, as an exalted character, the person you've sworn complete and utter obedience to will necessarily also be exalted. You'd better be dang sure of that though, because the feat makes no exceptions for if they order you to perform an evil or otherwise unsavory act.

Not to mention all of the... interesting ways the vow could be refluffed/repurposed.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.