|
    4th level spells

9th|+9|+6|+3|+6||
    +1 level of existing class
    |
    +9
    |
    5th level spells

10th|+10|+7|+3|+7|Ranged arcane channeling (full attack), ranged weapon of Death|
    +1 level of existing class
    |
    +10
    |
    5th level spells

[/table]

Hit Die: 1d8

Requirements
    To qualify to become a duskbow, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Base Attack Bonus
    +6.

Feats
    Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot.

Spells
    Ability to cast 2nd-level arcane spells.

Special
    ability to cast spells through a melee weapon (such as

Class Skills
    The Duskbow’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Use Rope (Dex).

Skill Points at Each Level
    2 + Int modifier.

Class Features
    All of the following are Class Features of the Duskbow prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency

a duskbow is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and all types of bows.

Spellcasting
    When a new duskbow level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class in which he could cast spells before he added the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If a character had more than one arcane spellcasting class before he became an duskbow, he must decide to which class he adds each level of archmage for the purpose of determining spells per day. However, the levels only increase spells up to 6th level, but even if you learn 7th level spells, your 6th level spells and lower still increas as if you had gained another level in the spellcasting class.

Enhance ranged weapon (Su)

At 1st level, every nonmagical ranged weapon a duskbow throws/nocks and lets fly becomes magical, gaining a +1 enhancement bonus. Unlike magic weapons created by normal means, the archer need not spend experience points or gold pieces to accomplish this task. However, an duskbow’s magic weapons only function for her. For every two levels the character advances past 1st level in the prestige class, the magic ranged weapons/ranged weapons she creates gain +1 greater potency (+1 at 1st level, +2 at 2rd level, +3 at 3th level, and so on). However, the weapon's actual enhancement bonus cannot go above 1/2 the duskbow's level (rounded up), and thus the duskbow may instead add special abilities to the weapon. in order to change the abilities of a weapon, the duskbow must spend 10 minutes of meditation without any distractions.

Ranged arcane channeling (Su)

a duskbow may use their ability to channel into melee weapons with ranged weapons also. nothing else changes about the ability.

Melee to ranged (Su)

A duskbow learns to modify spells originally designed to work with melee weapons to work with ranged weapons. as on the table above, the duskbow may change any spell of the given level or below that only works with melee weapons.

Imbue ranged weapon (Sp)

At 2nd level, a duskbow gains the ability to place an area spell upon an ranged weapon. When the ranged weapon is fired, the spell’s area is centered on where the ranged weapon lands, even if the spell could normally be centered only on the caster. This ability allows the archer to use the bow’s range rather than the spell’s range. It takes a standard action to cast the spell and fire the ranged weapon. The ranged weapon must be fired in the round the spell is cast, or the spell is wasted.
    Alternatively, a Duskbow may instead imbune a touch spell in an ranged weapon, and may give it the range of a splash weapon, dealing 1 point of damage per damage dice to anyone adjacent to the target.

Ranged spell power (Su)

as the duskblade ability (and stacks with the duskblade ability), except that it works with ranged weapons.

Seeker ranged weapon (Sp)

At 4th level, a duskbow can launch an ranged weapon once per day per class level at a target known to her within range, and the ranged weapon travels to the target, even around corners. Only an unavoidable obstacle or the limit of the ranged weapon’s range prevents the ranged weapon’s flight. This ability negates cover and concealment modifiers, but otherwise the attack is rolled normally. Using this ability is a standard action (and shooting the ranged weapon is part of the action).

Phase ranged weapon (Sp)

At 6th level, a duskbow can launch an ranged weapon once per day per class level at a target known to her within range, and the ranged weapon travels to the target in a straight path, passing through any nonmagical barrier or wall in its way. (Any magical barrier stops the ranged weapon.) This ability negates cover, concealment, and even armor modifiers, but otherwise the attack is rolled normally.

Using this ability is a standard action (and shooting the ranged weapon is part of the action).

Hail of ranged weapons (Sp)

In lieu of her regular attacks, once per day per class level, a Duskbow of 8th level or higher can fire an ranged weapon at each and every target within range, to a maximum of one target for every Duskbow level she has earned. Each attack uses the archer’s primary attack bonus, and each enemy may only be targeted by a single ranged weapon.

ranged weapon of Death (Sp)

At 10th level, a duskbow can create an ranged weapon of death that forces the target, if damaged by the ranged weapon’s attack, to make a Fortitude save (DC equals 10+the duskbow's level+the duskbow's primary casting modifier) or be slain immediately. It takes one day to make an ranged weapon of death, and the ranged weapon only functions for the Duskbow who created it. The ranged weapon of death lasts no longer than one year, and the archer can only have one such ranged weapon in existence at a time.

Ranged arcane Channeling (Su):

as the duskblade ability, except that it only works with a ranged weapon.
    Last edited by Charlie Kemek; 2008-10-09 at 08:27 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Duskbow [duskblade PrC arcane archer fix (PEACH)]

no comments? how is it balance-wise?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

"Ranged Weapon of Death" still sucks. You need to make the DC stat-related for it to be worth anything - since we're talking about Duskblade, make it 10+Int+Duskbow level.

Other than that, it looks solid. It's probably a dog to an arcane gish (as you need to be higher level to enter this, and on higher levels, real magic starts to make duskblade its dog), but compares fine to Duskblade, other medium casters, Soulbow (the most similar PrC) and most non-magical characters.

I kind of dislike how only one class in the entire game qualifies, but c'est la vie. Perhaps make the prerequisite "ability to deliver spells through melee attacks"? That would allow level 5 Spellswords to qualify as well. Although those would again upstage Duskblade...hmm. Quite the conundrom. I suppose, if a separate version is available for other arcane gishes, this one works out.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    "Ranged Weapon of Death" still sucks. You need to make the DC stat-related for it to be worth anything - since we're talking about Duskblade, make it 10+Int+Duskbow level.

Other than that, it looks solid. It's probably a dog to an arcane gish (as you need to be higher level to enter this, and on higher levels, real magic starts to make duskblade its dog), but compares fine to Duskblade, other medium casters, Soulbow (the most similar PrC) and most non-magical characters.

I kind of dislike how only one class in the entire game qualifies, but c'est la vie. Perhaps make the prerequisite "ability to deliver spells through melee attacks"? That would allow level 5 Spellswords to qualify as well. Although those would again upstage Duskblade...hmm. Quite the conundrom. I suppose, if a separate version is available for other arcane gishes, this one works out.
    I wasn't sure what the prerequisites should have been either. I stuck to this for now. is the new enhance ranged weapon balanced?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

would it be too unbalanced if I made the enhancement bonus stack with the weapon's enhancement bonus?

6. - Top - End - #6

It would be fair that way. I, however, prefer offering the option to add a variety of enhancements with the given cost to the bow as opposed to adding plain enhancement (since that way it's just Greater Magic Weapon as a class feature).

Plain numbers are much more boring than actual enhancements, and I think shooting a variety of different magical arrows catches the flavour of Arcane Archer much better than just plain enhancement. Use a list like that of Soulknife with few changes and you're good to go.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    It would be fair that way. I, however, prefer offering the option to add a variety of enhancements with the given cost to the bow as opposed to adding plain enhancement (since that way it's just Greater Magic Weapon as a class feature).

Plain numbers are much more boring than actual enhancements, and I think shooting a variety of different magical arrows catches the flavour of Arcane Archer much better than just plain enhancement. Use a list like that of Soulknife with few changes and you're good to go.
    isn't that what I allready have?

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Kemek View Post
    isn't that what I allready have?
    Ah, I didn't notice the last line. I think it's fine then. Making the enhancement bonus stack isn't broken, but seems wholly unnecessary. I prefer the present system - I do suggest you write up a list of allowed enhancements, much like Soulknife's though.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like the fix thus far, but my concerns are the entry requirements. I thought one of the points of arcane archer was it would give you the ability to hit through your ranged weapon, so the channeling doesn't make much sense as an entry requirement.
    Long story short I like this one and would like to see more ways to get in than just one or two classes. :)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien077 View Post
    I like the fix thus far, but my concerns are the entry requirements. I thought one of the points of arcane archer was it would give you the ability to hit through your ranged weapon, so the channeling doesn't make much sense as an entry requirement.
    Long story short I like this one and would like to see more ways to get in than just one or two classes. :)
    the reason it's basically only for one class is so it doesn't become overpowered, and every gish takes this class. if anyone can figure this out, please let me know. I am open to suggestions.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

XD the trouble is this then becomes everyone playing that class to get to it.
    What you might do is some "variants" of it aimed at other classes. Knock off the full BAB, good fort save, and redo the specials a little and a caster could take it for a bit more flexibility in the battle field. Knock off some of the casting and you could appeal to sorc/fighters without breaking things.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien077 View Post
    XD the trouble is this then becomes everyone playing that class to get to it.
    What you might do is some "variants" of it aimed at other classes. Knock off the full BAB, good fort save, and redo the specials a little and a caster could take it for a bit more flexibility in the battle field. Knock off some of the casting and you could appeal to sorc/fighters without breaking things.
    have you seen the arcane archer? that's what I based this on. it is supposed to be a slightly magical archer. archer is the main part. what would happen if i made it only advance spellcasting up to 5/6th level spells? it would mean that it would advance spells, and then I could change the requirements to be "ability to use spells in weapons (and there is a feat in PHII called smiting spell, +1 level of spell to put in weapon).

Edit: I don't mean to be rude in the part about the arcane archer, i am simply trying to make a point.
    Last edited by Charlie Kemek; 2008-10-07 at 08:55 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

made some new interesting changes. what does the playground think?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Kemek View Post
    have you seen the arcane archer? that's what I based this on. it is supposed to be a slightly magical archer. archer is the main part. what would happen if i made it only advance spellcasting up to 5/6th level spells? it would mean that it would advance spells, and then I could change the requirements to be "ability to use spells in weapons (and there is a feat in PHII called smiting spell, +1 level of spell to put in weapon).

Edit: I don't mean to be rude in the part about the arcane archer, i am simply trying to make a point.
    I've never seen the Arcane Archer. It's quite odd, page 176 and most of page 177 of my DMG are blank except for the words "Just Kidding, we wouldn't do that to you'.

If you're worried about all gishes taking this, trim down the casting to 1/2 or 4/5 progression instead of full. Gishes value their 9th level spells above all else. That'd let you remove the slightly awkward phrasing about only progressing spell slots up to 6th level, which is also hard to adjuncate.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    I've never seen the Arcane Archer. It's quite odd, page 176 and most of page 177 of my DMG are blank except for the words "Just Kidding, we wouldn't do that to you'.

If you're worried about all gishes taking this, trim down the casting to 1/2 or 4/5 progression instead of full. Gishes value their 9th level spells above all else. That'd let you remove the slightly awkward phrasing about only progressing spell slots up to 6th level, which is also hard to adjuncate.
    LOL

I wanted this class available to both duskblades and maybe bards, and standard gishes, without being too powerful. see above posts.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

The problem is that it's sort of a klunky restriction. There's no real reason to limit it to 6th level spells and lower except to punish any non-duskblade or bard that takes the class, and it becomes just a roundabout way of making it so no one but the above two would want it.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    The problem is that it's sort of a klunky restriction. There's no real reason to limit it to 6th level spells and lower except to punish any non-duskblade or bard that takes the class, and it becomes just a roundabout way of making it so no one but the above two would want it.
    there's the hexblade, and the spellthief. can you think of a better way? I have asked this earlier, and no one really answered, except for lowering the amount of levels that increase spellcasting. I might durring the 1st and 10th, but that wouldn't really fix the problem.